HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Around the League: Torts Goes Hulk Mode

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Congo Jack
Please Understand

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Fair enough, but weren't you guys ready to run Hejda out of town last year?

Your defense is different, but it's not drastically improved.
Not really, he and Barrie were our best pairing on defense last year.

Old
10-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Avsboy

It's not all about shots. Many of the shots against the Avs are of poor quality. Yeah goaltending has been fantastic but the Avs are playing well defensively right now.

The Pittsburgh game is an outlier.

Old
10-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Sheet

vCash: 50
50 shots a game don't matter if you only have 5 actual scoring chances. Seems the avs defense strategy is to just push them out to the hashes and let them t off. Puts a lot of trust in goal tending and relieves some pressure from d men.

Credit to Roy for realizing weaknesses and adapting. No way the avs sustain but to be fair, 8-1 is impressive even if it is just a fluke. I won't take that away from them.

Edmonton should be thrilled to see the avs successful. Your future doesn't look two terribly different then ours. You guys have so much young talent, and I'd argue you're definitely better defensively, pairing wise. Seems to me all you guys are missing is a goalie and a better system.

Old
10-21-2013, 10:45 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Colorado is Toronto west.

Old
10-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Philly85
Moody'

meanwhile Calgary scratching, clawing tooth & nail on a Monday night against a great LA club. have to respect this team, it's so early in the season I know but they've shown a lot of guts thus far. 3 or 4 players on this team that Edmonton sure could use.

Old
10-21-2013, 11:22 PM
Spawn

Lot of Colorado fans coming in here to defend their team.

Fact of the matter is that a team save % of .960 is not sustainable. Not even close. Argue all you want about better team defense, but at some point that is going to come falling back to earth big time. It is inevitable. The question is, when that does happen, can the Avs still keep winning gamesÉ

Old
10-22-2013, 12:08 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I snuck into an Avs practice and they actually got Hasek out of retirement and added some bionic parts. He actually plays every game, but they "alternate" between JS & Varlamov so no one gets suspicious.

Old
10-22-2013, 12:13 AM
Psychoil

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd the flames win scoring a goal with 30 seconds left, by the way, 3 powerplay goals for them against the kings, yet our powerplay cant even enter the zone 5 on 3

Old
10-22-2013, 12:15 AM
BlueChip01

Credit to Calgary. They have the overall compete that we lack. It helps that their team is full of 2nd-4th liners. They have to work hard all the time and not rely on skill. Sonething we do too much of.

Old
10-22-2013, 12:15 AM
Soundwave

Flames have been impressive. I'll give credit where it's due. Hartley is doing a good job.

Old
10-22-2013, 12:18 AM
Psychoil

yup all thats said about the flames is true. They have 2-4th line players throughout their lineup, they dont need a super goal, they dont need a super D, they just need a hard working club with a good system.

and here we are, hoping for shea weber because thats how bad our D core is.

Just makes me really frustrated

Old
10-22-2013, 12:22 AM
GreatKeith

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...12012&type=con

Just a friendly reminder.

Old
10-22-2013, 12:24 AM
s7ark

Flames have been playing well, for sure. But I still think they fall to earth and draft top 10 this season.

Old
10-22-2013, 12:31 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Had to spy on Calgary tonight, and they certainly played well.

Sean Monahan looked good, he's gonna be a great player. You often hear that someone has scoring instinct and is in the right place right time, but Monahan truly fits that description. Now they just have to find the third piece to the Monahan-Baertschi -line, and they'll have their #1 line ready for the next decade...

Old
10-22-2013, 12:44 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
meanwhile Calgary scratching, clawing tooth & nail on a Monday night against a great LA club. have to respect this team, it's so early in the season I know but they've shown a lot of guts thus far. 3 or 4 players on this team that Edmonton sure could use.
Agreed.
That team is all will and desire with a dash of grit.
Hartley is an excellent coach as well and he has 100% buy in so far.

Opposite story in Oiltown.
Not sure what the hell Eakins is doing half the time and his players aren't sure either.

If the Oil had half the functional grit the Flames do and a simplified system they would be a lot tougher to play against.

Old
10-22-2013, 12:45 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Agreed.
That team is all will and desire with a dash of grit.
Hartley is an excellent coach and he has 100% buy in so far.

Opposite story in Oiltown.
Funny how that wasn't the story last year. The Flames quit on a lot of games.

Old
10-22-2013, 12:48 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Funny how that wasn't the story last year. The Flames quit on a lot of games.
Yup...wasn't the first time a team lost its way after being gutted.

Wont be the last either

Whats your point?

Looked like the Oil quit in late March as well.

I will say this for the Flames...they seem to have some coaching continuity and direction early in their rebuild.

The Oilers are still floundering 6 years and 5 coaches later.

Whats their excuse?

Old
10-22-2013, 12:51 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Yup...wasn't the first time a team lost its way after being gutted.

Wont be the last either

Whats your point?

Looks like the Oil quit in late March as well.

Whats their excuse?
They quit a lot before they were gutted.

In fact, they actually played better after they got rid of Jarome and Bouwmeester, finishing 5-5 at the end despite the severe lack of talent.

Maybe Jarome was the problem?

Old
10-22-2013, 12:54 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
They quit a lot before they were gutted.

In fact, they actually played better after they got rid of Jarome and Bouwmeester, finishing 5-5 at the end despite the severe lack of talent.

Maybe Jarome was the problem?
Its last season anyway...what difference does it make?

Weve had 5+ years of watching garbage. That matters a whole lot more than what other teams are doing.

As I stated before....the Flames seem to have some coaching continuity and direction early in their rebuild.

Whats the excuse?

Old
10-22-2013, 12:56 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Its last season anyway...what difference does it make?

Weve had 5+ years of watching garbage.

As I stated before....the Flames seem to have some coaching continuity and direction early in their rebuild.

Whats the excuse?
Yeah the Flames haven't had much to cheer about lately either.

And we kept Renney for an extra year and still sucked. This is only Hartley's second year after they ditched Sutter.

I know we're all real impressed by the Flames strong start, but haven't we had strong starts in the past only to falter later on?

Take a look back at that page I linked on the NHL standings in November a few years ago and tell me how many things changed between that time and the end of the season.

Old
10-22-2013, 01:00 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Yeah the Flames haven't had much to cheer about lately either.

And we kept Renney for an extra year and still sucked. This is only Hartley's second year after they ditched Sutter.

I know we're all real impressed by the Flames strong start, but haven't we had strong starts in the past only to falter later on?

Take a look back at that page I linked on the NHL standings in November a few years ago and tell me how many things changed between that time and the end of the season.
Yes the Oilers have had strong starts but the team makeup was completely different. The Oilers have been small and soft and lacking compete for years now.
The Flames to their credit have a much different team. It lacks superstars but it has loads of grit and compete.

This is like comparing the Oilers rebuild to other teams rebuilds...it assumes that every teams management is as incompetent as the Oilers Management. Just because it is taking the Oilers 6 years to figure things out doesn't mean thats the template for every other team.

Old
10-22-2013, 01:48 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

They drafted/acquired just the right amount of skill to make it work.

Guys like Hudler, Baertschi, bring a decent amount of skill - but it goes hand-in-hand with solid cerebral 2-way players like Monahan and Backlund. Then add the grit of guys like Glencross and Jones. They have finishers too - Stempniak and Cammalleri (bench). It's a perfect mix of players specialized to certain roles. I've mentioned this before. Whereas the Oilers have 7-8 skill players - the Flames have 2-3 guys specialized within each role, able to bring something to the lines they're on.

Old
10-22-2013, 02:04 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
They drafted/acquired just the right amount of skill to make it work.

Guys like Hudler, Baertschi, bring a decent amount of skill - but it goes hand-in-hand with solid cerebral 2-way players like Monahan and Backlund. Then add the grit of guys like Glencross and Jones. They have finishers too - Stempniak and Cammalleri (bench). It's a perfect mix of players specialized to certain roles. I've mentioned this before. Whereas the Oilers have 7-8 skill players - the Flames have 2-3 guys specialized within each role, able to bring something to the lines they're on.
Exactly.
So far I think the Flames are doing their rebuild much much more effectively than the Oilers did. Acquiring 3 1st round draft picks by unloaded veterans was a very nice start.

I am not even sure what the 'F' the Oilers did other then mismanage the team so bad that they ended up getting 1st overall pick after 1st overall pick. I guess incompetence = rebuild according to some.

In any event the lucky thing for the Oilers is that MacT has an opportunity to unload some of those skill players and add some balance to this team.

I like Yakupov but I would be surprised if he isnt the player headed out in an attempt to build a better team.

Old
10-22-2013, 02:08 AM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
Credit to Calgary. They have the overall compete that we lack. It helps that their team is full of 2nd-4th liners. They have to work hard all the time and not rely on skill. Sonething we do too much of.
I hate the working hard (compete) argument. Oilers forwards work just as hard but they simply are terrible at protecting the puck and/or make idiotic passes through sticks or to nobody.

Avs forwards are similar to the Flames forward but with more skill. Watch the opposition try to take the puck away from Lando... They can't. Old Smyth used to be like that...

Old
10-22-2013, 02:10 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Exactly.
So far I think the Flames are doing their rebuild much much more effectively than the Oilers did. Acquiring 3 1st round draft picks by unloaded veterans was a very nice start.

I am not even sure what the 'F' the Oilers did other then mismanage the team so bad that they ended up getting 1st overall pick after 1st overall pick. I guess incompetence = rebuild according to some.

In any event the lucky thing for the Oilers is that MacT has an opportunity to unload some of those skill players and add some balance to this team.

I like Yakupov but I would be surprised if he isnt the player headed out in an attempt to build a better team.
The Flames lucked out in that a player as complete as Monahan fell to them at #6. I'll be honest - a player THAT NHL ready in terms of size, strength, and 2-way accumen to go along with his skill level rarely ever presents itself in the draft.

I remember saying that he'd be a Toews-lite in pre-draft discussions - that prophecy seems to be coming true.

Often times guys like this are drafted for the "potential" to become this kind of player. ROR, Bergeron, etc were picked for this purpose. Toews/Monahan presented this kind of package as 17-18 year olds.

There's a difference between positioning yourself to become a playoff team and a contender, though. And I see some problems for them heading into the future. I see no good young defensemen coming up in their system (Brodie was a great pick, but I don't see anyone else), nor do I see a steady goaltender (as good as McDonald and Ramo have played thus far, they are very inconsistent).

They could easily remedy this by continuing to rely on veterans (Wideman, Giordano-type signings) to fill in key roles for them (PIT did this) and getting lucky on a goalie signing.

If all goes well, this team is 1-2 draft picks away from setting themselves up for a solid 5-10 year run of success/contention.

Closed Thread