HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Attendance in Washington

Old
12-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Sens Rule

vCash: 500
Attendance in Washington

I am shocked by the crowd in this game. I mean I have seen empty seats at games in some rinks. Sections in the corner with few people in them and such. In New Jersey, Nassau Collesium and other places. But this tonight is amazing.

There literally seems to be like maybe 3000 people at the game. I doubt the 67's EVER play to this small a crowd at home.

This is not an attack on Washington or Southern teams nor an argument for the team to move or something. I am just shocked by the crowd. It isn't like 12000 or 10000 or even 8000. The arena is virtually empty. There might not be 4000 people in it.

Reminds me of some of an Expos Game I went to at Olympic Stadium a couple of years ago. 6000 fans or something in a 60000 seat stadium.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Brandi

Insane

I mean, Ottawa is a fun team to watch.. How are those not filled?

It does looks really empty

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
Insane

I mean, Ottawa is a fun team to watch.. How are those not filled?

It does looks really empty
It was really bad when they dropped the puck. But as the period went on there were more people in the stands. It is half empty now instead of 3/4 empty.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 07:01 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Ottawas never been a big draw in the States. I wouldnt think of Washington as a southern team, right in the heart of downtown just a walk down the road from the seat of power. Maybe if we supported them more in iraq they would show up at more hockey games

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 09:09 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
Ottawas never been a big draw in the States. I wouldnt think of Washington as a southern team, right in the heart of downtown just a walk down the road from the seat of power. Maybe if we supported them more in iraq they would show up at more hockey games
Canadian teams are a tough draw in the nation's capital historically plus the whole rebuild has taken away all the "hey the team is winning" type fans. That caps have some hard corp fans but with only so much entertainment dollars to go around in the DC area it is a tough weeknight sell when team isn't winning.

12-06-2006, 09:12 PM
freakin

didn't I hear a GM coming out of the NHL meeting talk about how every team wants more games with Ovechkin and Crosby? Then what's with both Pittsburgh and Washington getting crap attendance if that's what it's all about.

freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2006, 09:12 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

It was a 7 PM midweek game in a city that generally works late. Also, there are very few native Washingtonians in the area. Much of the areas residents moved there for their careers. I don't think any pro sports team, outside of the Redskins, will ever sellout consistenly during the regular season in DC.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 07:01 AM
Bytown

First the weeknight game is no reason why so few fans.Many citys are in the same boat as people working late yet they still go to the game.With not many locals there again that is still no reason ottawa is in the same boat that way ina city that has almost 1 million a huge chunck of that is not locals.With all of that said there is hand full of teams in trouble in terms of ticket sales.The caps only have about 4000. season tickets sold to date.

Bytown is offline   Reply With Quote