Not only that - but what he brings is redundant with what Andrew Ference brings. Both are #4 defensemen on a team desperately needing #1-#3 defensemen. And it's showing with the non-functionality of any pairing except those featuring Petry in their ability to handle minutes.
If Smid settles into the 3rd pairing at some point, that $3.5m per year contract suddenly looks horrible. I think it's best to move N.Schultz and/or Smid for an upgrade. Both those guys could end up forming a $7m 3rd pairing.
The return on Smid would clearly be higher, the way he is being deployed he just isn't going to have the kind of success we expect from him. His breakout pass is horrible and we can't have that on this team and N. Schultz has pretty much no trade value now, but will have some value at the deadline when his contract is expiring. So the way I look at it Smid's value is depreciating and N. Schultz value will appreciate so long as he doesn't play awful, as his cap hit will diminish with the term of his contract.
Nick Schultz is an impending UFA. Getting any value, even a 7th round pick, for that cap dump would be a positive for this team.
There's no such thing as "waiting" on his value to go up. You're basically waiting for teams not to clue into how bad he is now.
Remember Steve Staios at the end of his time with us, he was brutal yet we still got a pick for him. Defensemen even bad ones carry a premium at the trade deadline, heck even Kurtis Foster had some value at the trade deadline; N. Schultz is substantially better than either of them. Teams always want some defensive depth if they expect to go on a deep playoff run.
Why the Oilers do it:
- Need a #1 Defenceman - Buff is great offensively and adds size to the back-end
- Need a #1 LW - With Hall out, Ladd will fill in. Plus bring Veteran Leadership and grit.
- Jokinen - Brings veteran leadership and allows us to move Gagner
Why the Jets do it:
- Gagner can fill in as 1st or 2nd line centerman, allowing Scheiffle to either get sent down for more seasoning (as some Jets fans have suggested) or play easier minutes on the 3rd line
- Trouba, Enstrom, and Bogosian are great young defenceman, making Buff expendable (Buff being expendable has been suggested as a possibility by Jets fans because he is too old to grow with the core)
- Smid is a solid 2nd pairing defensive defenceman
- N.Schultz might be an upgrade on AHL call ups like Pardy for the 3rd pairing
- Jets get 2 for 1 defencemen, adding depth
- Hemsky can bring added offence and RW depth
- 1st brings the Jets a chance at another high end prospect, especially considering how lowly the Oilers are right now in the standings. (Some Jets fans have suggested a rebuild, the 1st helps huge in this regard)
If that trade didn't include Jokinen and Gagner, I'd do it in an instant - however, Gagner is the most valuable piece we're giving up in that hypothesized deal, and we'd have to add something else nice going back. 2015 first round? Marincin+Other decent prospect? Just looking at it, I feel like it might favour us too heavily in this case, so I dunno!
We'd also be getting the Jets to take on a lot of salary for two upcoming UFAs being included.
I don't really know a lot about the Jets prospect pool, but I'm assuming that Ladd and Byfuglien won't come easily. I'd rather target just Buff, to be entirely honest, but I can't see the Jets giving him up without a significant piece included. First+Smid? Gagner+ would probably be fair value, but I really don't think he's expendable at this point.
Byfuglien is a very unique player, I don't think I have any idea of what his fair value is.
And Jokinen sucks. He wouldn't even beat out Acton for a roster spot.
Originally Posted by thadd
Listening to the Oilers Big Rig Radio Show.
He did, but he also promised a bold move.
Someone on the panel suggests trading Hemsky for Ott. Any takers on that? If he's comfortable on the RW, I'd make this move. Highly doubt this is the return Sabres fans are looking for.
These guys seem like they're kinda morons. Afraid to agree on anything and make fun of people for whatever reason... then some dork suggests Yakupov + Marincin + 1st would nab us Weber.
Why does Ott have to play RW? With Hall potentially out there is room on the left side. And yes I'd do Hemsky for Ott, don't see why Buffalo does though.
Other then the fact that trade makes me want to scream into my pillow for hours on end, it makes no sense. Why would we clear a contract just to take the same number back??
Oilers trade Yakupov Hemsky and Smid to Philadelphia for Schenn Simmonds and Coburn. #confirmed #NHL #Oilers #Flyers
@Bob_Stauffer can you ask MacT on the charter home after the game tomorrow when we should expect the trade to be announced?
@freshprinceofAB @jordandreger I too can confirm this trade. Expect an official tweet from the oilers shortly
hahahah at least its good for a laugh... unless its true then ill slowly start to cry and scream into my pillow, but i'll take my chances lol
If that includes a 1st rounder or 2 then maybe we're talking, geez