HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The ''What to do in Montreal'' Thread version 4.0

Old
10-01-2013, 06:23 PM
hockey diva

vCash: 500
I will be visiting the weekend of the 18th-20th for the Preds game. I am a bit of a history/architecture geek. Are there tours of the old city or am I better off walking? Any botanical gardens or other places worth seeing? I will skim thru the posts for eatery suggestions. Particularly want to try some authentic poutine. And finally, I don't drink alcohol so bars are not my thing. Any good live music venues? I will be staying at the Hotel Le Crystal.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Interlagos Blue
You Had ONE JOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
I will be visiting the weekend of the 18th-20th for the Preds game. I am a bit of a history/architecture geek. Are there tours of the old city or am I better off walking? Any botanical gardens or other places worth seeing? I will skim thru the posts for eatery suggestions. Particularly want to try some authentic poutine. And finally, I don't drink alcohol so bars are not my thing. Any good live music venues? I will be staying at the Hotel Le Crystal.
Here is a website for tours:
http://www.guidatour.qc.ca/en/di_walking_tours.htm
I believe the tours will be by foot so one way or the other you will most likely be walking anyways. I would just walk on my own though.

The botanical gardens (http://espacepourlavie.ca/en/botanical-garden)are in the east of the city, farther from your hotel so you would need a mode of transportation. The metro is your best bet unless you have a rental. I would visit the botanical gardens around dusk as there is a lights exhibit going on until November. Also that area has other things you can visit such as the Biodome ,the Planetarium and since you said you are a architecture geek the Big O.

For authentic poutine try La Banquise or Patati-Patata. I would go to the Banquise because its in the The Plateau area which has nice charming houses (in my opinion). The restaurant is accessible from Mont-Royal metro station. If you have more time for food try the smoked meat (Schwartz's) and bagels (St-Viateur's or Fairmount's).

Can't help you on music venues. Someone else will have to chime on that subject.

Interlagos Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 12:45 PM
supertzar

Hey all!

Myself (big habs fan) and my friend (big sharks fan), are coming up for the game next weekend. We're pretty pumped. I've been to Montreal many times but this is his first. Definitely going to hit up a few places like Schwartz' and La Banquise.

But, we were wondering if the opposing team does a morning skate, where they do it (I know the Habs are not the Bell Centre but wasn't sure if the opposing team was), what time they usually enter the arena for that, and where?

Was hoping to maybe get lucky and have my friend run into some Sharks players. This is probably so team dependent on the answers, but was wondering if anyone knew of any themes or tendencies they see.

Thanks!

supertzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 09:55 PM
muckbin15
parros16

vCash: 133
best night club thats relatively easy to get into for people around 21?

will be there thursday night and saturday night. A different club for each night would be awesome!

muckbin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 11:46 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckbin15 View Post

will be there thursday night and saturday night. A different club for each night would be awesome!
Thursday ...
Baldwin Barmacie, 115 Avenue Laurier Ouest

Saturday...
Rouge, http://www.lerougebar.com/

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 12:22 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertzar View Post
Hey all!

Myself (big habs fan) and my friend (big sharks fan), are coming up for the game next weekend. We're pretty pumped. I've been to Montreal many times but this is his first. Definitely going to hit up a few places like Schwartz' and La Banquise.

But, we were wondering if the opposing team does a morning skate, where they do it (I know the Habs are not the Bell Centre but wasn't sure if the opposing team was), what time they usually enter the arena for that, and where?

Was hoping to maybe get lucky and have my friend run into some Sharks players. This is probably so team dependent on the answers, but was wondering if anyone knew of any themes or tendencies they see.

Thanks!
I would keep an eye on the Sharks beat reporter (Pollak maybe?) and Dave Stubbs.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2013, 11:49 AM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckbin15 View Post

the vast majority ( more than 90% ) of clubs in MTL are 18 and over and very few ( I know only one ) have older age restrictions.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Eazy T

Hey everyone, what's the hottest night clubs in Montreal? and best clubs/bars to pick up chicks? I'm in Montreal now and I'm gonna check out this nightclub in Old Montreal called Velvet.

I already saw clubs/bars like Sir Winstons, Copacabana, Roxbury, Muzique, Club Tokyo, Saint Sulpice and Salsatheque.

Eazy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 02:32 AM
dreamingofdrouin*

check out super sex

dreamingofdrouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 11:24 AM
KA BLAMO

Hey guys, I'm going to be in Montreal from tomorrow around noon until Saturday afternoon and was just wondering what would be some cool things to check out in the city like comedy shows, live entertainment, cool spots, etc. I had tickets to the Kendrick Lamar and Kanye West show for tomorrow night that got cancelled, so I'm open to anything!

Also, where would be a good spot to catch the Sens vs. Bruins game on Friday?

Thanks in advance!

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolarama View Post
Hey guys, I'm going to be in Montreal from tomorrow around noon until Saturday afternoon and was just wondering what would be some cool things to check out in the city like comedy shows, live entertainment, cool spots, etc. I had tickets to the Kendrick Lamar and Kanye West show for tomorrow night that got cancelled, so I'm open to anything!

Thanks in advance!
La Station des Sports. Ask them to put the game on a TV close to you. Or La Cage aux Sports.

There's Mac Miller doing a show on Saturday if you wanna go lol...

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Mrb1p

This is not the 30's theres no prohibition in the states... Go to clubs there.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 01:30 PM
JPGoHabsGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolarama View Post

Thanks in advance!
I found MVP on crescent street to be an okay spot. Didn't have much of the food so can't say if its good/bad and it wasn't too busy. Staff is pretty friendly too.

In terms of in the city, schwartz smoked meat, fairmount bagel, the underground city, mont royal, Old Montreal, thats most of the neat spots Ive been to in the few times ive been to Montreal. A local would probably be more helpful.

JPGoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 12:28 PM
nilan30

Going to be there from Dec 4-7 for the Habs-Bruins game (honeymoon with my wife-yes she is a hard core Bruins fan) We are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn on Sherbrooke. What is a good Italian restaurant in that area. Not shirt and tie good, but casual dining-good. Also,what's the deal with the horse and buggy rides in Old Montreal. Do these run all winter? Any idea on the costs? Is it worth it?

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
Going to be there from Dec 4-7 for the Habs-Bruins game (honeymoon with my wife-yes she is a hard core Bruins fan) We are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn on Sherbrooke. What is a good Italian restaurant in that area. Not shirt and tie good, but casual dining-good. Also,what's the deal with the horse and buggy rides in Old Montreal. Do these run all winter? Any idea on the costs? Is it worth it?
Calèche (horse-drawn carriage) tours lasting 30 minutes
($48, taxes included) or 60 minutes ($80, taxes included)
are available. a calèche can accommodate from 3 to 5 people. Tours depart from:

Notre Dame Street, near Place Jacques-Cartier;
De la Commune Street, near Place Jacques-Cartier;
Place D'Youville, near the Pointe-à-Callière Museum.

http://www.vieux.montreal.qc.ca/info...info_toura.htm

You can go to old montreal and visit the Notre-Dame basilica and near it they'll be calèches ( horse carriage ), waiting for customers theres a bunch of them all around old montreal.

http://www.basiliquenotredame.ca/en/

It's near metro Place d'armes.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 08:07 AM
BLONG7

Madisons Restaurant, across from the Bell Centre, any good? Prices reasonable? Curious...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 08:14 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
wow, that's what I call a real Complete list.

great job
No need.Drink wine and ****. That's what I did in Montreal for 20 years.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Calèche (horse-drawn carriage) tours lasting 30 minutes
($48, taxes included) or 60 minutes ($80, taxes included)
are available. a calèche can accommodate from 3 to 5 people. Tours depart from:

Notre Dame Street, near Place Jacques-Cartier;
De la Commune Street, near Place Jacques-Cartier;
Place D'Youville, near the Pointe-à-Callière Museum.

http://www.vieux.montreal.qc.ca/info...info_toura.htm

You can go to old montreal and visit the Notre-Dame basilica and near it they'll be calèches ( horse carriage ), waiting for customers theres a bunch of them all around old montreal.

http://www.basiliquenotredame.ca/en/

It's near metro Place d'armes.
Damn that ****'s expensive

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 05:33 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
My BOY is heading to Montreal next week and his confidonce is LOW with women, any suggestions on where he can meet some downtown?

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Emerz

Heading to Montreal for the December 5th game vs the Bruins (as a bruins fan), it will be my first NHL game, I'm not a dick and will be respectful.

Guess I'm wondering what the chances are that I'm going to be **** talked all night? Lol.

Last edited by Emerz: 11-27-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Emerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 04:35 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

If you don't start **** and behave accordingly, you'll be fine.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Emerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
If you don't start **** and behave accordingly, you'll be fine.
Alright thanks for the help.

Should be fun, the Bell Centre is massive compared to any arena I've ever been in. =]

Emerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Johnny B Good

Hey guys! I'm coming to Montreal from Norway on sunday. Gonna go to the game Devils, Sabres, Kings and Bruins!

I have two questions. Is the habs store the best place to buy a jersey? (quality and price) and whats the chances of me meeting a player if I travel to Brassard and wait there until a practise is over? I feel like me going to Brassard is very stalker-ish, but now that I'm finally in Montreal I might as well try to meet a player...

Thanks!

Johnny B Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik963 View Post
Hey guys! I'm coming to Montreal from Norway on sunday. Gonna go to the game Devils, Sabres, Kings and Bruins!

I have two questions. Is the habs store the best place to buy a jersey? (quality and price) and whats the chances of me meeting a player if I travel to Brassard and wait there until a practise is over? I feel like me going to Brassard is very stalker-ish, but now that I'm finally in Montreal I might as well try to meet a player...

Thanks!
A lot of fans go to the practice facility in Brossard to get autographs. You won't be the only one there but it will be pretty cold.

You can buy a jersey at the Habs boutique or any other sports store (Sports Experts, Rousseau). I think the prices are all pretty similar.

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Johnny B Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
A lot of fans go to the practice facility in Brossard to get autographs. You won't be the only one there but it will be pretty cold.

You can buy a jersey at the Habs boutique or any other sports store (Sports Experts, Rousseau). I think the prices are all pretty similar.
Thanks for answering! Im from Norway, im used to cold :p So the chance of actually getting a autograph or photo are slim?

Johnny B Good is offline   Reply With Quote