HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hamilton Bulldogs & Wheeling Nailers 2013-2014 "No more Stortini" Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-22-2013, 12:37 PM
  #426
LeMAD
Registered User
 
LeMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic View Post
What a horrible pick LL was in retrospect. No size, no toughness, not a very good skater and to top it all off not skilled enough to play in top 6. Lol a people trying to defend the play of LL.
That's pretty much my opinion. He was a bad pick from the start. I don't see how they thought he could become a good NHLer. People put a lot of pressure on the kid, but he probably doesn't have what it takes to make it, no matter how hard he will work for it.

Same for Collberg btw.

LeMAD is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 12:55 PM
  #427
Treb
Registered User
 
Treb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
That's pretty much my opinion. He was a bad pick from the start. I don't see how they thought he could become a good NHLer. People put a lot of pressure on the kid, but he probably doesn't have what it takes to make it, no matter how hard he will work for it.

Same for Collberg btw.
High hockey IQ. You could see it in his 42 games here. He just never developped physically.

As for Collberg, he's still top10 in scoring for U20 players in SHL, despite missing game with injury.

Treb is online now  
Old
10-22-2013, 01:16 PM
  #428
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,228
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
He reminds me of


Alexdaman is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 02:05 PM
  #429
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,094
vCash: 500
I really don't think you guys get what I'm trying to say ... I'm not defending LL, or saying he will be a good hockey player. Its about assets management and it looks like I'm the only one here who knows what this means. Leblanc has potential, he always had. Just like a lot of players, he's not putting it together but that doesn't mean he has no value. We've seen plenty of players get traded for value (Be it lower than where they got drafted, its still value)

Nino niederreiter was traded for Clutterbuck and the 70th pick in the last draft.
MPS for Perron
Kristo for Thomas

and I'm sure we could list many more from other seasons.


In retrospect, LL has the same treatment Eller had with the habs
Theres other examples also like Chris Kreider, who's been abyssimal for NYR farm club, yet got a lot of playing time and he was given opportunities.
Ryan Ellis is a very mediocre player, yet he starts almost every PP for Nashville.
Kassian sucks, yet he gets playing time with the Sedins

I could go on for days. Players are like money for NHL teams the more money you have, the more chances you actually have to win a cup and to maximize your profit at the same time.

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 02:16 PM
  #430
LeMAD
Registered User
 
LeMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treb View Post
High hockey IQ. You could see it in his 42 games here. He just never developped physically.

As for Collberg, he's still top10 in scoring for U20 players in SHL, despite missing game with injury.
The problem with Collberg is his lack of strenght and intensity. He might become a successful player in Sweden, but in the NHL, it's all about forecheck and controlling the puck along the boards, to create scoring chances.

LeMAD is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 02:18 PM
  #431
Ezpz
No mad pls
 
Ezpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,667
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
The problem with Collberg is his lack of strenght and intensity. He might become a successful player in Sweden, but in the NHL, it's all about forecheck and controlling the puck along the boards, to create scoring chances.
Michael Ryder did none of those things and was near our leading scorer last year.

Ezpz is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 02:33 PM
  #432
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
The problem with Collberg is his lack of strenght and intensity. He might become a successful player in Sweden, but in the NHL, it's all about forecheck and controlling the puck along the boards, to create scoring chances.
Ryder, Tanguay, Purcell, Vanek, Kovalev, Gaborik ... Yeah I could go on for days

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 02:35 PM
  #433
Treb
Registered User
 
Treb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
The problem with Collberg is his lack of strenght and intensity. He might become a successful player in Sweden, but in the NHL, it's all about forecheck and controlling the puck along the boards, to create scoring chances.
So a 19 years old is supposed to have acquired all the strenght he ever will? I'm not ready to label him bust.

He's pretty much following a normal learning curve for swedish players, he just need to get going this year and stay healthy. That knee injury is derailing his season.

Treb is online now  
Old
10-22-2013, 03:05 PM
  #434
Avim86
Registered User
 
Avim86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal , Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
I remember that 2009 draft like it was yesterday , I really wanted either Kreider or O'reilly. I thought Habs were going to draft Despres and then when I saw LL , I was slightly disappointed/indifferent but I thought I'll give him a chance to put on some muscle and grow as a hockey player but we know the result of that.

Avim86 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 03:14 PM
  #435
LeMAD
Registered User
 
LeMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Ryder, Tanguay, Purcell, Vanek, Kovalev, Gaborik ... Yeah I could go on for days
Your list pretty much proves my point. Tanguay is an elite playmaker (and has great speed), Purcell is 6'3, Vanek and Kovalev have elite hands among other things, Gaborik has elite speed.

Ryder is the only good exemple, being nothing special in every aspect but goalscoring. But he's an exception in this league.

De La Rose and Lehtonen look much more promising than Collberg imo. Maybe even Nystrom. And do we really want that guy on our team?


LeMAD is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 03:19 PM
  #436
Treb
Registered User
 
Treb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Your list pretty much proves my point. Tanguay is an elite playmaker (and has great speed), Purcell is 6'3, Vanek and Kovalev have elite hands among other things, Gaborik has elite speed.

Ryder is the only good exemple, being nothing special in every aspect but goalscoring. But he's an exception in this league.

De La Rose and Lehtonen look much more promising than Collberg imo. Maybe even Nystrom. And do we really want that guy on our team?
What does Lehkonen has over Collberg? What about Nystrom?

Sounds like you have a irrational hate on the guy.

Treb is online now  
Old
10-22-2013, 03:37 PM
  #437
LeMAD
Registered User
 
LeMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treb View Post
What does Lehkonen has over Collberg? What about Nystrom?

Sounds like you have a irrational hate on the guy.
They are both dynamic players that are involved in the play.

Collberg is a unidimensional goalscorer that is pretty much useless aside from the PP. Each time I've seen him play he looked like a much less dynamic Cammalleri. And he doesn't have Cammalleri's shot either.

LeMAD is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 04:04 PM
  #438
yoyo999
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I really don't think you guys get what I'm trying to say ... I'm not defending LL, or saying he will be a good hockey player. Its about assets management and it looks like I'm the only one here who knows what this means. Leblanc has potential, he always had. Just like a lot of players, he's not putting it together but that doesn't mean he has no value. We've seen plenty of players get traded for value (Be it lower than where they got drafted, its still value)

Nino niederreiter was traded for Clutterbuck and the 70th pick in the last draft.
MPS for Perron
Kristo for Thomas

and I'm sure we could list many more from other seasons.


In retrospect, LL has the same treatment Eller had with the habs
Theres other examples also like Chris Kreider, who's been abyssimal for NYR farm club, yet got a lot of playing time and he was given opportunities.
Ryan Ellis is a very mediocre player, yet he starts almost every PP for Nashville.
Kassian sucks, yet he gets playing time with the Sedins

I could go on for days. Players are like money for NHL teams the more money you have, the more chances you actually have to win a cup and to maximize your profit at the same time.
If we strapped skates on you, or me for that matter and threw either one of us on Hamilton's first line, would we be ready to make the jump to the NHL after 50 games by virtue of being given constant opportunity? No. We are not good enough and can't compete with those players. We would look out of place and other teams would make us look out of place. Our teammates would get frustrated with us because we couldn't keep up with them, in turn making them look bad and wasting their efforts.

But if the coach plays us more, it will eventually make us better by virtue of playing more even though we are clearly not ready for that role. By your logic though, they need to maximize us as assets regardless of if it suits us or not.

yoyo999 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 04:18 PM
  #439
Adriatic
Registered User
 
Adriatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Ryder, Tanguay, Purcell, Vanek, Kovalev, Gaborik ... Yeah I could go on for days
I don't know maybe it's just me but those players are nothing like Collberg. Gaborik, Kovalev and Vanek are some of the highest skilled players to have played in the league. Vanek has elite quick hands and is 6'2. Kovalev was one of the most skilled nhlers during his time and was a beast physically, the guy could drag 2 players on his back. Gaborik probably had the best acceleration at his peak and was probably one of the 2-3 fastest skaters in the nhl. Purcell is 6'3 very solid frame, nothing like Collberg. Tanguay is also different, more of a playmaker and a great skater. Ryder make doesn't have an exceptional quality but he has good size and has proven he can score, the guy is clutch, when he gets a scoring chance he can put the puck in the net at the nhl level.

Adriatic is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 05:15 PM
  #440
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,435
vCash: 700
cool pic swiss habs


Team_Spirit is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 05:44 PM
  #441
Treb
Registered User
 
Treb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic View Post
I don't know maybe it's just me but those players are nothing like Collberg. Gaborik, Kovalev and Vanek are some of the highest skilled players to have played in the league. Vanek has elite quick hands and is 6'2. Kovalev was one of the most skilled nhlers during his time and was a beast physically, the guy could drag 2 players on his back. Gaborik probably had the best acceleration at his peak and was probably one of the 2-3 fastest skaters in the nhl. Purcell is 6'3 very solid frame, nothing like Collberg. Tanguay is also different, more of a playmaker and a great skater. Ryder make doesn't have an exceptional quality but he has good size and has proven he can score, the guy is clutch, when he gets a scoring chance he can put the puck in the net at the nhl level.
His shot is pretty good and precise, like Collberg.

Treb is online now  
Old
10-22-2013, 05:55 PM
  #442
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo999 View Post
If we strapped skates on you, or me for that matter and threw either one of us on Hamilton's first line, would we be ready to make the jump to the NHL after 50 games by virtue of being given constant opportunity? No. We are not good enough and can't compete with those players. We would look out of place and other teams would make us look out of place. Our teammates would get frustrated with us because we couldn't keep up with them, in turn making them look bad and wasting their efforts.

But if the coach plays us more, it will eventually make us better by virtue of playing more even though we are clearly not ready for that role. By your logic though, they need to maximize us as assets regardless of if it suits us or not.
That's one of the worst straw man I've seen in years

Leblanc has proven he can play in the NHL and in the AHL. So yeah...

He has a great tool box for the NHL, he just needs to be fixed. The same way Patches needed to be fixed.

Anyway, you guys have a premade idea of Leblanc, like you have a premade idea of Collberg, I'll stop arguing its pretty much a lost cause like Eller, Price, AK, Tinordi and Pacioretty were lost causes.


Last edited by Mrb1p: 10-22-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Mrb1p is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 06:13 PM
  #443
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
That's one of the worst straw man I've seen in years

Leblanc has proven he can play in the NHL and in the AHL. So yeah...

He has a great tool box for the NHL, he just needs to be fixed. The same way Patches needed to be fixed.

Anyway, you guys have a premade idea of Leblanc, like you have a premade idea of Collberg, I'll stop arguing its pretty much a lost cause like Eller, Price, AK, Tinordi and Pacioretty were lost causes.
I like LL as a player a lot but if he's not bringing it for one reason or another than he shouldn't just be given a shot. Not watching the games I don't know if he's deserved his demotions but from what I hear it's not good.

3rd year as a pro, he should be excelling shift to shift. There just seems to not be enough signficant improvement in his game in the last few years. Which is definitely worrying.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 06:14 PM
  #444
yoyo999
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
That's one of the worst straw man I've seen in years

Leblanc has proven he can play in the NHL and in the AHL. So yeah...

He has a great tool box for the NHL, he just needs to be fixed. The same way Patches needed to be fixed.

Anyway, you guys have a premade idea of Leblanc, like you have a premade idea of Collberg, I'll stop arguing its pretty much a lost cause like Eller, Price, AK, Tinordi and Pacioretty were lost causes.
The example is far fetched but it is exactly the logic you're using.

Play Leblanc more and in a better role and he will get better by virtue of that.

yoyo999 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 06:26 PM
  #445
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo999 View Post
The example is far fetched but it is exactly the logic you're using.

Play Leblanc more and in a better role and he will get better by virtue of that.
They aren't at all similar....

Play him in a role that better suits his skill set, let him play with players with similar abilities. If you've played sports, you know you get better when you play and practice with better players. The coaching staff is trying to put a square peg in a round hole and saying - "if you jam it in hard enough, it'll work" (that's what she said). That's ridiculous thinking.

It obviously isn't working and hasn't worked. Try something else or squander the asset. They shouldn't be ruining a prospect and young player's career because they're trying to make a statement within the organization.

Draft is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 06:32 PM
  #446
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey
 
Pierre Dagenais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
That's one of the worst straw man I've seen in years

Leblanc has proven he can play in the NHL and in the AHL. So yeah...

He has a great tool box for the NHL, he just needs to be fixed. The same way Patches needed to be fixed.

Anyway, you guys have a premade idea of Leblanc, like you have a premade idea of Collberg, I'll stop arguing its pretty much a lost cause like Eller, Price, AK, Tinordi and Pacioretty were lost causes.
Louis Leblanc hasn't proven anything at the NHL level... he played 42 games at an "ok" level.

He has barely proven anything at the AHL level, and he is certainly not producing at a top 6 forward rate (in the AHL).

Pacioretty was sent down because he wasn't playing well and dominated the AHL and worked his way back up.

Eller was scratched and demoted to the 3rd and 4th line and worked his way back up. He was never handed anything. He played with the minutes that he had and made the most of it.

Your examples weren't very good to be honest.

Pierre Dagenais is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 07:26 PM
  #447
FazChenyuk
Registered User
 
FazChenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Tarnasky scores again, I think its fair to say that he is trying hard to be called up

FazChenyuk is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 08:55 PM
  #448
penopekoo
Registered User
 
penopekoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
Andrighetto with 2 goals in tonight's game, apparently. Including a short-handed goal. Anyone watching want to weigh in?

penopekoo is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 09:04 PM
  #449
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,978
vCash: 500
Aliu scored and Leblanc got the OT winner.

Analyzer is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 09:05 PM
  #450
FazChenyuk
Registered User
 
FazChenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 971
vCash: 500
Leblanc 1g 2 a,GWG and ghetto with 2 goals

FazChenyuk is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.