HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

top hitting teams in league

Old
12-09-2006, 01:34 AM
guest1467

vCash: 500
top hitting teams in league

i thought this was kind of intresting, i stole it from the buffalo forum. Never seen montreal so high before, i think a big reason is the emergence of komisarek.
Team total amount of hits (games played)

1. NY Islanders 625 (28)
2. Ottawa 624 (29)
3. Carolina 616 (30)
4. Montreal 599 (28)
5. NY Rangers 569 (28)
6. Toronto 560 (30)
7. Atlanta 560 (30)
8. Buffalo 446 (28)
9. New Jersey 408 (26)
10. Boston 388 (26)

1. Dallas 547 (28)
2. SJ Sharks 545 (29)
3. Anaheim 493 (30)
4. Vancouver 456 (28)
5. Edmonton 436 (27)
6. Detroit 426 (27)
7. Calgary 423 (26)
8. Nashville 391 (28)
9. Minnesota 317 (28)
10. Colorado 254 (28)

top 10 in league.

1. NY Islanders 625 (28)
2. Ottawa 624 (29)
3. Carolina 616 (30)
4. Montreal 599 (28)
5. NY Rangers 569 (28)
6. Toronto 560 (30)
7. Atlanta 560 (30)
8. Dallas 547 (28)
9. SJ Sharks 545 (29)
10. Anaheim 493 (30)

i also found it intresting that the top 7 teams were from the eastern conference. Also that all ten of these teams are in a playoff spot.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 01:41 AM
Guy Caballero

I've got to say I was impressed with the way the isles were tossing their weight around last game. They've got some moxie.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 01:44 AM
Penalty Killer

Komo is a large factor in the hitting, but so is Tender, and Begin, who isn't scoring a lot of goals this year, but still helping out the team this year by leading the team in hits playing on the 4th line.

The game may be more speed and finesse than in the past, but this goes to show how important it is to be a physical team, too.

Penalty Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 01:45 AM
madbox

Noticed the same about the Isles, not often that we get out hit anymore.

I was also wondering where the Habs stood in hits in the league, what a time saver this was.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 01:53 AM
Le Maroons

Toronto is 9th in the east.

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 02:05 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Hit stats are stupid. They're just as bad as "dropped passes" in the NFL. They're just recorded by the some guy (I remember reading it was the home team's stats guy?) who's going to miss any hit that's not directly on the puckholder.

12-09-2006, 02:30 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Hit stats are stupid. They're just as bad as "dropped passes" in the NFL. They're just recorded by the some guy (I remember reading it was the home team's stats guy?) who's going to miss any hit that's not directly on the puckholder.
way to puke on a good thread...

i think the stat is a measuring stick that is as useful as shots on net or assists. sometimes all can be manipulated by people in power.

but all none the less good stats.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 02:32 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I would say there's something a little more concrete about assists (2 previous teammates to touch the puck) and shots on net (has to hit the net/posts/goaltender.

How do you define a hit? When two players come into contact?

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 03:58 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

its quite a subjective stat.

A hit in one person's view may be considered a love tap in another perosn's view.

But it does say something about our team.

If you take a look at other boards around this place, they still think of the habs as that smallish, soft team. While the habs are still a bit on the small side upfront, the grit factor has indeed increased since gainey took over.

It always baffles me when people who dont follow the habs closely peg koivu in the same category as a guy like samsonov in terms of physicality.

I dont know what it would take for the habs to lose that unjust "soft" label. At least in some fans eyes.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 04:08 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
I would say there's something a little more concrete about assists (2 previous teammates to touch the puck) and shots on net (has to hit the net/posts/goaltender.

How do you define a hit? When two players come into contact?
hitting the post is NOT a shot on goal.

As for the hits, good for the Habs but the stats seem to be manipulated by whomever is collecting them.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 04:56 AM
FinnHab

Well if we look our special team statistics and hit statistics(or even our goaltending), its very honest to say that Habs are going to right direction. If only we could get those two missing pieces to our "puzzle" and then we truly are cup contender....

FinnHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
way to puke on a good thread...

i think the stat is a measuring stick that is as useful as shots on net or assists. sometimes all can be manipulated by people in power.

but all none the less good stats.
He's right, actually. Hits, like blocked shots most other stats of that nature are very inaccurate stats. In the end they don't mean much. It's much better to analyze a player's physicality by watching the games. I know Chris Neil is a physical player, not because the stats say he has 100+ hits but because I've watched him forcheck. That stat doesn't mean that he's a good hitter, or what types of hits he's landed, how many seperated the player from the puck etc..it just says 100 "hits" have been recorded, probably not very accurately.

For example I remember our first game against Carolina in Carolina. I was watching the FSN feed. After the first period they showed the hit stats as 15-4 for Carolina, despite the fact that they had just shown a replay of the period where Montreal had landed at least 8 nice hits. And I'm sure the same thing goes on everywhere.

It's just not a useful stat at all, except for fans who want to brag about how tough their players are. There's no substitute for watching the games though. No doubt it's interesting to look at, but I wouldn't put much stock into stats like that.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
He's right, actually. Hits, like blocked shots most other stats of that nature are very inaccurate stats. In the end they don't mean much. It's much better to analyze a player's physicality by watching the games. I know Chris Neil is a physical player, not because the stats say he has 100+ hits but because I've watched him forcheck. That stat doesn't mean that he's a good hitter, or what types of hits he's landed, how many seperated the player from the puck etc..it just says 100 "hits" have been recorded, probably not very accurately.

For example I remember our first game against Carolina in Carolina. I was watching the FSN feed. After the first period they showed the hit stats as 15-4 for Carolina, despite the fact that they had just shown a replay of the period where Montreal had landed at least 8 nice hits. And I'm sure the same thing goes on everywhere.

It's just not a useful stat at all, except for fans who want to brag about how tough their players are. There's no substitute for watching the games though. No doubt it's interesting to look at, but I wouldn't put much stock into stats like that.
The Hits stat has flaws. Mostly that in each building they record Hits a bit differently. But over time every team plays in every other building in the division and conference. And since the stats inception I think each building is doing a better job of recording hits more similarly.

Certainly Hit stats have limited merit but over time it gives you a pretty accurate assessments of which players are making the most hits.

If a player has recorded for instance 75 hits and another has 100 hits that may not mean much but if a defenceman has 200 hits and another 50 hits then that clearly tells you a great deal. Espeically if they are on the same team and had the same guys recording the hits all season. Still Hits mean little to an overall assessment of a player. Lidstrom doesn't record very many hits and is a great Defenceman.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 2007 Sens Rule! View Post
The Hits stat has flaws. Mostly that in each building they record Hits a bit differently. But over time every team plays in every other building in the division and conference. And since the stats inception I think each building is doing a better job of recording hits more similarly.

Certainly Hit stats have limited merit but over time it gives you a pretty accurate assessments of which players are making the most hits.

If a player has recorded for instance 75 hits and another has 100 hits that may not mean much but if a defenceman has 200 hits and another 50 hits then that clearly tells you a great deal. Espeically if they are on the same team and had the same guys recording the hits all season. Still Hits mean little to an overall assessment of a player. Lidstrom doesn't record very many hits and is a great Defenceman.
I agree they're getting better at it, and to be fair they haven't been recording for very long so it will take time to get it right. And over time it can give you an idea of who's throwing the most hits.

However, I still think it's think it's about as useless a stat as you have. It's as misleading as +/-. On Montreal right now they list Garth Murray as having more hits than Perezhogin in 11 fewer games. Perogie has been forchecking hard every game, going to the corners and has landed his far share of nice hits. Murray has been soft and hesitant to throw a hit. But someone who hasen't been watching the games looks at the stats sees: Murray 17GP 19hits Perezhogin 28GP 16hits and thinks Murray-Gritty, Perez-Soft when it's quite the opposite.

I credit the league for trying to keep track of these things but it might be a while before it's recorded accurately. Even then, I don't put much stock into the stat. Like you said, Lidstrom can throw 15 hits a year and still be the best dman in the league. And I remember my stuff right, Gauthier was among the league leaders in hits for a couple years when he was with Calgary.

But more importantly, I think it's misleading because people look at hits and equate it with physicality. Sometimes this is true, and landing hits is important, but there's so much more to being a physical player than the stat of "hits". Take Regehr for example. I think Regehr only has 40 hits or so, which isn't much, but considering he destroys people down lown it's impossible to say he's not a beast physically. Likewise, to use the Gauthier example, he can land a lot of hits, but he routinely gets outmatched physically.

So it's a decent indicator of who's throwing their weight around, but not much else.

Old
12-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Artyukhin*

Begin has to have over 100 of them
Latendresse somewhere in the neighbourhood of 65 +

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Begin has to have over 100 of them
Latendresse somewhere in the neighbourhood of 65 +
Begin is second in the league with 94 hits. (3.4 hits per game)
Komisarek is in 8th place with 85 hits.
Latendresse is in 26th place with 57 hits. (Leads all rookies)

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?fetc...tssPlayerStats

Edit: Those were some damn good guesses though.

Old
12-09-2006, 12:03 PM
calebj3000

to prove that the hits stat is innacurate and misleading: Robert Svehla has led the league in hits in multiple seasons. Nothing against Svehla, he was a good defenceman but he was far from being the league's biggest hitter

calebj3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 12:17 PM
greatlakeshab

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebj3000 View Post
to prove that the hits stat is innacurate and misleading: Robert Svehla has led the league in hits in multiple seasons. Nothing against Svehla, he was a good defenceman but he was far from being the league's biggest hitter
Your right I would rather be hit by Svehla ten times in a row than one Scott Stevens hit

greatlakeshab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
...who's going to miss any hit that's not directly on the puckholder.
While that may also be considered a hit, it's better defined as a penalty.

I agree with you, however, that it's a very arbitrary stat. Some rinks may not consider a light bump to be a hit, while others do. As well, depending on your vantage point, you might confuse who hit who, if someone was even hit to begin with.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 01:03 PM
saskhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebj3000 View Post
Svehla threw his weight around a lot. People just didn't see it a lot because he was in markets like Florida. He played a lot of minutes as well, which helped his totals.

I also don't think they counted physical play in front of the net (talking old NHL when you got punished for parking there). Most hits are takeouts on the boards or the rare open ice hit.

Murray usually completes his check, sometimes it's just well too after the puck is gone to be effective, because he's been slower this year for some reason.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 02:43 PM
fredez

This will be a good stat to show to ignorant haters who still say the Habs are soft.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredez View Post
This will be a good stat to show to ignorant haters who still say the Habs are soft.

are hits individually recognized anywhere?

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 02:52 PM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
are hits individually recognized anywhere?
What do you mean?

As a whole, the Habs are far from a soft team.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredez View Post
What do you mean?

As a whole, the Habs are far from a soft team.
i mean per player.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 05:48 PM
guapo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
Hits, like blocked shots most other stats of that nature are very inaccurate stats. In the end they don't mean much. It's much better to analyze a player's physicality by watching the games. I know Chris Neil is a physical player, not because the stats say he has 100+ hits but because I've watched him forcheck. That stat doesn't mean that he's a good hitter, or what types of hits he's landed, how many seperated the player from the puck etc..it just says 100 "hits" have been recorded, probably not very accurately. "

That's ridiculous. When we count all the other stats do we argue over how "good" each one was ?

For example, when a player gets 8 shots on goal in the game, do we say "yeah but 3 of those shots wee weak shots from the outside and one was an icing attempt that went right to the other team's goalie" ?

Or when a player has 15 goals so far this year do we say "yeah but four of those were softies that the goalie should have saved therefore the stats are inaccurate".

A goal is a goal, a shot is a shot, a hit is a hit
NO MATTER WHO DID IT.

Obviously a Dion Phaneuf open ice hit is going to be a better hit than a Ribeiro hit but we do not need to qualify quality hits vs weak hits.

Having watched all the Montreal games so far this year I am amazed by how many hits we throw per game.
We are outhitting our opponents most nights.

I haven't seen the Habs do that on a regular basis in 10-15 years !

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote