HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Who Goes First/Speculation/Rumors Thread

View Poll Results: Who is the ODD MAN OUT?
Zuccerello 1 1.06%
Pyatt 74 78.72%
Pouliot 3 3.19%
They all stay 4 4.26%
They all go 12 12.77%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-22-2013, 03:48 PM
  #326
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
They moved Gaborik instead of playing Nash at LW. Do you think they did that just because they didn't like Gaborik?
Because Gabby also has played LW in his career. Guys move from LW to RW all the time why do you make it out to be such a big deal? Like I said it's not like moving from wing to center.

Lets not turn a blind eye to the fact that Torts was not the biggest Gaborik fan either.

Radek27 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 03:50 PM
  #327
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Because Gabby also has played LW in his career. Guys move from LW to RW all the time why do you make it out to be such a big deal? Like I said it's not like moving from wing to center.
It's a bigger deal for some players than others. Callahan has looked awful at LW for most of his career. Gaborik didn't look comfortable at LW either. Nash has looked better at RW.

Why play people out of position AND give up assets to bring someone in? Why not just target a LW?

So you think Torts wouldn't have wanted to have (2) 40 goal scorers on the same line if there was any way for them to play well there? What does he not like goals?

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
10-22-2013, 03:51 PM
  #328
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,435
vCash: 500
Go ask Iginla how it feels to switch wings. He loved it in Pittsburgh.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 03:54 PM
  #329
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Go ask Iginla how it feels to switch wings. He loved it in Pittsburgh.
Just like you can find a few examples where it didn't work I could find some where it did. But hey lets keep going with Taylor Pyatt, Fast and Kreider on the left side cause that seems to be working well.

Radek27 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 03:55 PM
  #330
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Just like you can find a few examples where it didn't work I could find some where it did. But hey lets keep going with Taylor Pyatt, Fast and Krieder on the left side cause that seems to be working well.
Isn't that the point? Go get a LW. Not another RW.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
10-22-2013, 04:03 PM
  #331
NYR2007
Registered User
 
NYR2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 544
vCash: 50
Torts had gabby on the left with Nash on the right side lol that made no sense . Other then Richards being able to feed Nash the puck cause he's a lefty .

NYR2007 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 04:03 PM
  #332
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Isn't that the point? Go get a LW. Not another RW.
Thats your point not mine. I say get a winger no matter if it's RW or LW because other guys can be moved to make it work.

Radek27 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 04:10 PM
  #333
nyranger61494
YNWA
 
nyranger61494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Thats your point not mine. I say get a winger no matter if it's RW or LW because other guys can be moved to make it work.
This mentality has been what's wrong with the Rangers. You acquire a player whose played a certain role or position and then just assume you can plug them into another position without issues. Build a team properly. Put guys in positions to succeed. Plug them into roles they are accustomed to and can succeed in.

nyranger61494 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 04:13 PM
  #334
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 16,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Put guys in positions to succeed. Plug them into roles they are accustomed to and can succeed in.
They can start by handing most of the current team plungers and mops rather than hockey sticks.

__________________
Ail is online now  
Old
10-22-2013, 04:21 PM
  #335
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Just like you can find a few examples where it didn't work I could find some where it did. But hey lets keep going with Taylor Pyatt, Fast and Kreider on the left side cause that seems to be working well.
Getting a guy just so he can play out of position isn't far off from throwing **** at a wall and hoping it sticks. A huge problem thus far as been that this team goes out and adds players regardless of how they'll impact the rest of the roster. It's a terrible strategy.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 04:33 PM
  #336
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Just like you can find a few examples where it didn't work I could find some where it did. But hey lets keep going with Taylor Pyatt, Fast and Kreider on the left side cause that seems to be working well.
Real life is not EA sports. There is a reason why most play well in the positions that they have been their entire careers. Playing out of position frequently does not bode well. Unless you are doing it on EA Sports.

True Blue is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 04:53 PM
  #337
jaywills1020
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Because Gabby also has played LW in his career. Guys move from LW to RW all the time why do you make it out to be such a big deal? Like I said it's not like moving from wing to center.

Lets not turn a blind eye to the fact that Torts was not the biggest Gaborik fan either.
ive been playing hockey for 25 years and have always been a lw. i cant play the right side to save my life.

jaywills1020 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 05:45 PM
  #338
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Real life is not EA sports. There is a reason why most play well in the positions that they have been their entire careers. Playing out of position frequently does not bode well. Unless you are doing it on EA Sports.
Switching from RW to LW or vise versa isn't that big of a deal it's not like asking a dman to play wing like Gilroy. When injuries happen guys switch wings to get into the line up or form better lines.

Radek27 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 05:47 PM
  #339
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywills1020 View Post
ive been playing hockey for 25 years and have always been a lw. i cant play the right side to save my life.
Are you a professional hockey player? Do you dedicate your life to the sport like these guys? If not it's really not the same thing. I would guess you ever played anything outside of pick up because on a team the coach says where you play not you.

Radek27 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 05:50 PM
  #340
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Getting a guy just so he can play out of position isn't far off from throwing **** at a wall and hoping it sticks. A huge problem thus far as been that this team goes out and adds players regardless of how they'll impact the rest of the roster. It's a terrible strategy.
Do you know when Nash is coming back? If you do please tell us.....we are without Callahan for a month! You guys are talking about these players like they currently in the lineup when they are not.

Radek27 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 06:06 PM
  #341
beef 4 lunch
Registered User
 
beef 4 lunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Not that it matters, I can play both LW and RW.

When i comes to forward, Stepan, Nash, and to a certain degree Brassard are the only keepers in my book. Depending on contract demands, Callahan might not be a Ranger next year. I say make a deal for the best player possible. Young, strong, fast, able to score goals. Ideally, its not a center or RW. But, if the right player became available, and he happens to be a RW, I pull the trigger.

Chances are that any package we could put together would land a second liner at best. Callahan should be playing a 3rd line checking role anyway.

beef 4 lunch is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 06:18 PM
  #342
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
When they could have had him for free a week ago? Why would they now be willing to give up an asset for him?
Since Asham cleared waivers the Oilers could keep him in the AHL rather than having to keep him on the NHL roster (if they had picked him off of waivers).

However, the prospect coming from the Oilers probably wouldn't be NHL caliber, but it could end up being done as a favor for Asham--let him try and work his way back to the NHL with another organization.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 06:24 PM
  #343
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Thats your point not mine. I say get a winger no matter if it's RW or LW because other guys can be moved to make it work.
I stopped believing that in the last century after watching too many square pegs try and get hammered into round holes.. Yes, some players can play several different positions, but for most, it reduces their effectiveness.

You want to put players in a position to succeed--usually that means playing them at their strongest position, not moving them away from it.


Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 10-22-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Brooklyn Ranger is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 06:31 PM
  #344
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15
 
EuroFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: west coast
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,024
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Switching from RW to LW or vise versa isn't that big of a deal it's not like asking a dman to play wing like Gilroy. When injuries happen guys switch wings to get into the line up or form better lines.
But it's at least for some, like for Gaborik who didn't played well at all on the left.

EuroFlair is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 07:14 PM
  #345
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,413
vCash: 500
I don't think switching wingers is as big of a deal as switching defenseman from one side to the other, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that some guys are better at one side of the ice than the other. Why would you bring in someone with the intention of harming his effectiveness from the getgo?

Tawnos is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 07:32 PM
  #346
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,120
vCash: 373
A lot of goal scorer who have played their off wing almost exclusively for the majority of their careers have a hard time switching.

It's a significant change and one you are probably better trying early on in your career IMHO.

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 08:06 PM
  #347
Radek27
Registered User
 
Radek27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,145
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeit View Post
But it's at least for some, like for Gaborik who didn't played well at all on the left.
And for some like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk it wasn't that big of a deal.

Radek27 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 08:15 PM
  #348
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
And for some like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk it wasn't that big of a deal.
It took both of them a loooong time to adjust. And Kovalchuk never scored at the same rate. Bad examples.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 08:25 PM
  #349
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15
 
EuroFlair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: west coast
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,024
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
It took both of them a loooong time to adjust. And Kovalchuk never scored at the same rate. Bad examples.
That and Ovi almost always slides over to his left when his line establish them self in their opponents zone.

EuroFlair is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 08:29 PM
  #350
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2007 View Post
Torts had gabby on the left with Nash on the right side lol that made no sense . Other then Richards being able to feed Nash the puck cause he's a lefty .
Torts was an idiot with that. Gabby said he was more comfortable on RW and he played him on LW then worst thing is he dealt Gabby and then they move Nash to LW

Vitto79 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.