HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Game 10: Nashville @ Minnesota

Old
10-22-2013, 10:54 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
And what did Hendricks contribute?
Forsberg's ES production this season, 0g, 0a, -6.

Hendricks is greatly underperforming, yet he's been on the ice for half as many ES goals (3) allowed as Forsberg (6) in 34 more ES minutes played. Forsberg gets a higher percentage of offensive zone starts than Hendricks.

The ES stat goes a long way to explaining why Forsberg sat tonight.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 10:59 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
going by last year's play.
So Bartley should be a lock on the second pair based on last year. Hendricks should get 3rd line minutes based on his performance last year.

The simple fact is this year Beck found himself on the bubble based on his play and his waiver status allowed him to go to Milwaukee without risk of losing him for nothing. What he, Bartley, Ellis, or anyone else did last year is irrelevant this year. What matters is who is performing NOW.

Old
10-22-2013, 11:48 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I'd rather live with the mistakes and/or lack of production from a 19 year old than watch a 32 year old 3rd liner on his best day look like crap.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 12:03 AM
WartracePred

Come on guys, you knew they were bound to have a terrible game considering their play the past 4-5. And as poorly as they skated tonight, they were one greasy goal from stealing points in this one because of Peks.

I've heard it from several "healthy scratch" guys watching from the luxury suites... sometimes they learn as much watching the game as they would have playing in it. Forget whether Hendricks should've sat instead of Forsberg. Maybe Forsberg just needed a night to watch and collect himself. Hell, wasn't Suter was scratched during the playoffs early in his career???

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 02:31 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I'd rather live with the mistakes and/or lack of production from a 19 year old than watch a 32 year old 3rd liner on his best day look like crap.
Thissssss

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 05:34 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
So Bartley should be a lock on the second pair based on last year. Hendricks should get 3rd line minutes based on his performance last year.

The simple fact is this year Beck found himself on the bubble based on his play and his waiver status allowed him to go to Milwaukee without risk of losing him for nothing. What he, Bartley, Ellis, or anyone else did last year is irrelevant this year. What matters is who is performing NOW.
No it doesn't. If Beck wasn't eligible for Milwaukee he'd be on this roster.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 06:18 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
The problem is that we are trying to squeeze goals out of an entire team full of third liners
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I think Clune should have played.... In Hendricks spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Agree with these. I get the toughness thing, but a team with Nystrom, Hendricks, Clune, Goose, and Spaling all in the lineup is just too much. If sitting Forsberg is the great idea, then I'd rather find a way to get Beck/Moser/Watson up here to play.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 06:30 AM
predfan98

Of all the FA acquisitions, I was interested in seeing Stalberg the most.

no longer.......Stalberg = invisible man. I don't care what line he's been playing on, the effort isn't there. And if he's so rusty that he has to play himself into shape, what was he doing all summer, eating bonbons

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 07:14 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post

no longer.......Stalberg = invisible man. I don't care what line he's been playing on, the effort isn't there. And if he's so rusty that he has to play himself into shape, what was he doing all summer, eating bonbons
You should care which line he is playing on. Part of equipping a score to succeed is placing him with linemates that compliment him. Hendricks is not that person.

10-23-2013, 07:21 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
No it doesn't. If Beck wasn't eligible for Milwaukee he'd be on this roster.
And just as likely scratched for some of the past ten games. Ice time is earned, not given based on last year ... or some conceived notion of "paid his dues". These boards love to declare some kid a lock almost every year, usually based on a limited callup at the end of a season. Both the board and the player then tend to forget that the kid has to come in hungry and clearly outperform his competition during camp, especially when the business end of hockey comes into play with waiver eligibility, cap hit aspects, etc.

If Moser, Beck, Sissons, Budish or any other prospect want time wearing a gold jersey at the Bridge, they need to make the case on the ice ... not through sentimentality.

Old
10-23-2013, 07:27 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
You should care which line he is playing on. Part of equipping a score to succeed is placing him with linemates that compliment him. Hendricks is not that person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post

Stalberg is starting to look like a hockey player on the ice and not the recreational free skater of his first game or two. He's getting his legs moving, heading towards the goal from the neutral and in the offensive zone, just usually him on the entire opposition too often. No set up in the zone to give him some space to operate. No good rushes up the ice with complementary players to help out. Simply no chemistry and the wrong style linemates .. it's the Legwand discussion of five years ago when people complained Leggy wasn't putting up similar numbers with Smithson and Ward on his line that he did with Erat and Kariya.

What I'm least impressed with from Stalberg so far is his play in the defensive end. He's floating when pucks are coming loose and our d-men are still tangled along the boards. It looks like he's waiting for a pass from a player in no position to make it rather than collecting the puck and starting the play back up ice himself.

Old
10-23-2013, 07:35 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Stalberg is starting to look like a hockey player on the ice and not the recreational free skater of his first game or two. He's getting his legs moving, heading towards the goal from the neutral and in the offensive zone, just usually him on the entire opposition too often. No set up in the zone to give him some space to operate. No good rushes up the ice with complementary players to help out. Simply no chemistry and the wrong style linemates .. it's the Legwand discussion of five years ago when people complained Leggy wasn't putting up similar numbers with Smithson and Ward on his line that he did with Erat and Kariya.

What I'm least impressed with from Stalberg so far is his play in the defensive end. He's floating when pucks are coming loose and our d-men are still tangled along the boards. It looks like he's waiting for a pass from a player in no position to make it rather than collecting the puck and starting the play back up ice himself.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 07:40 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Stalberg is floating, no skating. Maybe if he was making the effort he'd be playing elsewhere on a different line.
He had a shoulder injury, there's no excuse that he has to "play into shape" to move his legs.

Gaustaad, Clune and Hendrix were on the 4th line. Stalberg was playing with other players last night.

He draws one penalty a game. bah. not worth the $

I wonder what's going on with his attitude. This shaking the rust off excuse got old 2 games ago.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 07:42 AM
hockey diva

Quote:
Forsberg's ES production this season, 0g, 0a, -6.

Hendricks is greatly underperforming, yet he's been on the ice for half as many ES goals (3) allowed as Forsberg (6) in 34 more ES minutes played. Forsberg gets a higher percentage of offensive zone starts than Hendricks.

The ES stat goes a long way to explaining why Forsberg sat tonight.
Hendricks has also taken some dumb penalties. Two in the Montreal game if I remember correctly. Other teams put out their young players out on the ice and let them learn from their mistakes. We ice a team of third liners who can't finish. Trotz gives the vets plenty of chances despite their screw ups yet the younger players sit if they mess up. I would say Poile had a soft spot for Hendricks since he was originally drafted by him.

You can spin it any way you want to, 101 st but this roster is not a contending roster. You can't cover a **** pile with snow and expect me to think it's pretty.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 08:39 AM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Why is it that every time we get a nationally televised game we play like poop and get dominated...

I knew we would lose eventually but this was by far our worst performance of the year.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 08:54 AM
PFL615

Trotz said on coffee with a coach that FF was scratched because his game has slipped lately. He went onto to say that he knew it was going to be a physical game and wanted to put Clune in since he was playing well before being scratched for personal reasons. Finally saying that je also did it to give Stalberg a chance to play in more of an offensive role.
Trotz also admitted that he has used Stalberg in an energy grind line and last night was the first game he has changed his role.

We have to remember FF is 19yo and it's going to be a long season. He is not Superman Jones.

Last night was the first night we were absolutely horrible on offense this season.

I will take the huge win in Montreal and lose by inches to the Wild everytime.

P.S. Hendricks is horrible.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 08:55 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
After some sleep, I feel better about the game. We were tired, it was a good road trip. Just keep realistic expectations and everything will be ok. We will not score goals this year and this team will scrap out a .500 record.

Maybe we can draft high again and lure an aging Kariya-like talent into Nashville and get back to the Holy land.

Either way, I'm off the ledge until next game at least.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 09:12 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
Why is it that every time we get a nationally televised game we play like poop and get dominated...

I knew we would lose eventually but this was by far our worst performance of the year.
Our record shows "every time" is quite the exaggeration. We were right at .500 on NBCSN/VS over the past five seasons heading into last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Hendricks has also taken some dumb penalties. Two in the Montreal game if I remember correctly. Other teams put out their young players out on the ice and let them learn from their mistakes. We ice a team of third liners who can't finish. Trotz gives the vets plenty of chances despite their screw ups yet the younger players sit if they mess up. I would say Poile had a soft spot for Hendricks since he was originally drafted by him.

You can spin it any way you want to, 101 st but this roster is not a contending roster. You can't cover a **** pile with snow and expect me to think it's pretty.
IF you want to use dumb penalties as the reason to hate a player, Hendricks isn't the only one on the team guilty.

You once again write the team off early, yet they are somehow in contention at the ten game point in the season. There is one game so far this season where the team completely stunk for the entire game.

Old
10-23-2013, 09:15 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
And just as likely scratched for some of the past ten games. Ice time is earned, not given based on last year ... or some conceived notion of "paid his dues". These boards love to declare some kid a lock almost every year, usually based on a limited callup at the end of a season. Both the board and the player then tend to forget that the kid has to come in hungry and clearly outperform his competition during camp, especially when the business end of hockey comes into play with waiver eligibility, cap hit aspects, etc.

If Moser, Beck, Sissons, Budish or any other prospect want time wearing a gold jersey at the Bridge, they need to make the case on the ice ... not through sentimentality.
Not really earned under Trotz and we've seen this before, not just with Hendricks.

Hendricks is not creating anything and is taking stupid penalties yet continues to get ice. he has 2 take aways and 3 give aways, no points. Which pretty much means he's not doing anything on the ice but take penalties. I'm not an advanced stat guy so I'm not going to pretend to be. I am an eye test guy though, and Hendricks is failing the eye test, Stalberg isn't far behind either.

I'd much rather Beck and Forsberg's offensive skill in place of both of these guys.

Old
10-23-2013, 09:23 AM
SeventyOneTN

Quote:
Not really earned under Trotz and we've seen this before, not just with Hendricks.

Hendricks is not creating anything and is taking stupid penalties yet continues to get ice. he has 2 take aways and 3 give aways, no points. Which pretty much means he's not doing anything on the ice but take penalties. I'm not an advanced stat guy so I'm not going to pretend to be. I am an eye test guy though, and Hendricks is failing the eye test, Stalberg isn't far behind either.

I'd much rather Beck and Forsberg's offensive skill in place of both of these guys.
I agree that Hendricks has stunk. However, arguing that Beck and Forsberg should be playing instead of him doesn't seem like a good comparison. Hendricks plays a completely different role. Throwing Forsberg back out there to make the same mistakes game after game just engrains the mistake. He gets a night off during a condensed part of the schedule with a chance to watch and learn.

SeventyOneTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 09:35 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:

Hendricks needing to sit is a separate issue from Forsberg/Beck, especially when the forwards are healthy. He has 4 minor penalties so far (one was a double) ... yet he's the one singled out as the "dumb penalties" whipping boy.

Forsberg is still adjusting to the NHL game and is not exactly performing in the defensive end (-6 using standard stats, 3 GvA, 3 TkA). Whether he should be on the NHL roster or in Milwaukee is a point that deserves discussion without an obvious answer. He's got skill, but, so far it isn't amounting to anything more at ES than Hendricks' grinding ... both are 0g, 0a at ES. If Beck, Budish, or Sissons is a better option at that wing right now is something I hope the team is looking at. If sitting Hendricks ... icing a 4th line of Nystrom, Gaustad, Clune ... and getting Stalberg on a line with another winger who can do something in the offensive end is the right path without a roster move is another option they should investigate.

Old
10-23-2013, 10:07 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Can't win them all; guys looked exhausted. Not many good things to say about the game except that Craig Smith was exceptional again and Pekka did a great job keeping us in it. Kleiner also held down the fort well. Jones had a rougher game.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 10:09 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOneTN View Post
I agree that Hendricks has stunk. However, arguing that Beck and Forsberg should be playing instead of him doesn't seem like a good comparison. Hendricks plays a completely different role. Throwing Forsberg back out there to make the same mistakes game after game just engrains the mistake. He gets a night off during a condensed part of the schedule with a chance to watch and learn.
That's just it, we need more offensive roles on the ice and less grinder roles. I think dressing Clune, Gaustad, Hendricks, Nystrom and Spaling is overkill with the grinders.

I'd prefer,

Bourque-Cullen-Smith
Wilson-Legwand-Hornqvist
Forsberg-Spaling/Fisher-Beck
Clune-Gaustad-Nystrom

HS - Hendricks/Spaling

Old
10-23-2013, 10:09 AM
drwpreds

Look, I hated that game last night just like everyone else.

But come on, that was the first time we have looked like that this year- and as a few level-headed posters have pointed out, it was our 3rd tough road game in 4 days, and 4th game in 6 days. That would be very difficult for any team.

And in that 6 day stretch, we played LA, at Montreal, at Winnipeg, at Minnesota. That is a pretty darn tough 6 day stretch, and we got 5 out of a possible 8 points.

A question- going into that stretch, what was a reasonable goal for those 4 games? 6 points would have been the absolute best case scenario, and we almost got that- I don’t see how anyone can be disappointed in that.

What, do we have to win all 4 of those games to keep everyone happy?

And in a game last night that we were at our absolute worst- we still came within inches of getting a point on the road against a good team that was rested and flying out there…….

I have the same concerns about the offense as everyone else- if we come home for the next 2 games and look like we did yesterday, I will be right there complaining with everyone else.

But last night’s game is not yet reason enough to jump off the ledge- YET……..

Last edited by drwpreds: 10-23-2013 at 10:22 AM.
drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
@ThePredatorial 10m
Carrie Underwood lets slip that husband Mike Fisher has a "foot fracture thing". Well then.
Okay........

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote