HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Nice! It was a fun tourney. I love the social aspect. Shoulda shot you a PM to see when you were playing...

We went 0-2-1. Going to be a long year. It's pretty obvious most of the team should be at D1 with only a few of us at C3. We did coached practices all summer and it's still a mess. Everyone's got a lot of heart and tries really hard but the skill just isn't there. Nobody's fault.

Also, I need to get my shoulder looked at some time. It's been bugging me for five years now.

Old
10-07-2013, 10:31 AM
TLow97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Nice! It was a fun tourney. I love the social aspect. Shoulda shot you a PM to see when you were playing...

We went 0-2-1. Going to be a long year. It's pretty obvious most of the team should be at D1 with only a few of us at C3. We did coached practices all summer and it's still a mess. Everyone's got a lot of heart and tries really hard but the skill just isn't there. Nobody's fault.

Also, I need to get my shoulder looked at some time. It's been bugging me for five years now.
I enjoyed it thoroughly... got to watch a lot of hockey, a lot of levels, and it was awesome. Too bad I'm not drinking this year

Our division is gonna be pretty top heavy this year, w/ 3 playoff teams and us being the only newly-formed team. The plus-side is half of us played together in the summer and the other half split off from another team, so there is a good amount of familiarity.

Have you guys ever requested to drop down a level? Or do you think y'all would clean up at D1?

Old
10-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think after this year the few of us who wouldn't be able to drop down to C3 will leave the team and they should drop down. They'd be happier playing at the right level. Maybe a 10-12 win team, maybe sneak into the playoffs.

I'll likely end up just playing Hockey Finder or something. My kid's getting into hockey and it's too expensive to cough up $500 in addition to his stuff.

Old
10-10-2013, 06:23 PM
sxHarr05

Tallied my first point in my third game of the season. Assisted on a goal that got us to within 3-2, but ultimately lost 4-2 (EN goal wirh .18 left). I've been alternating between LW and D depending on our needs so it can be hard to find "chemistry" with linemates. I've found that skating hard and playing in position is the key no matter what position it is. Also got called for my first penalty (tripping minor) when the opposing center stepped on my blade as I went for the puck. Oh well.
Spent some time working with one of our D who gives skating instruction in order to become a more efficient skater. After one "session" I felt much better and had better acceleration (which coincidentally allowed me to catch-and trip-the aforementioned center) and balance.

Overall, it's been fun after being away from the game for so long. Most of the team played together the last couple of seasons so as a new guy I'm still learning their tendencies (who likes to carry or pass, which D will pinch or stay home, etc) but I'm doing my best and becoming an annoyance for the opposition within the rules.

Old
10-11-2013, 07:12 AM
goodriddance628

I called off work to hit up some stick time this morning

Old
10-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Did a brief workout last night to try and get back into it. Reverse lunges absolutely kicked my ass.

Old
10-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodriddance628 View Post
I called off work to hit up some stick time this morning
That's dedication right there

Old
10-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I might hit up stick and puck tomorrow morning.

Old
10-11-2013, 01:43 PM
TLow97

Just ordered a couple items:

Torspo Surge 321 Composite, 75 Flex, Lidstrom Pattern

Easton Stealth 65S Pants, Black

Old
10-11-2013, 02:34 PM

Just got back to playing this past summer for the first time in almost ten years. Joined a team and scored my first goal of the season this past week. Now I can't wait for my next game!

Old
10-13-2013, 08:00 PM
do0glas

Came back from my 6 month deployment. Played a league game that same week-basically I forgot how to hockey.

Hit a couple of stick times, shot in my garage everyday. Next game I was apparently running this gold league skater ragged and picked off his pass for a goal to boot. First time my snap shot resulted in a goal too.

The best part was after getting comfortable on the ice, all the workouts I did while gone made a huge difference in my east west skating.

Old
10-14-2013, 06:26 PM
goodriddance628

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Came back from my 6 month deployment. Played a league game that same week-basically I forgot how to hockey.

Hit a couple of stick times, shot in my garage everyday. Next game I was apparently running this gold league skater ragged and picked off his pass for a goal to boot. First time my snap shot resulted in a goal too.

The best part was after getting comfortable on the ice, all the workouts I did while gone made a huge difference in my east west skating.
Thank you for your service my family and I appreciate it

Old
10-15-2013, 02:59 AM
Jisatsu

Had a game tonight, played while being really sick. The league is currently in a "seeding" process, so we played a much weaker team. I felt that I could have done more if I was healthy, but I walked away with a nice assist and 5 very good scoring chances. We won 3-0, and were short handed most of the game due to stupid penalties (too many men, accidental trip, ect).

Feels good to actually play in a game, but I think I need to be a bit more aggressive in an actual game. Too many drop in games with friends has made me complacent when it comes to defense. Hopefully I'll be healthy next week and have a better game.

Old
10-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Pete Mitchell
"Watch the canopy!!"

I get to play two former NHL players, Ronnie Stern and Phil Crowe in my low B level Beer League game. Predicting a loss...

Old
10-16-2013, 03:24 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mitchell View Post
I get to play two former NHL players, Ronnie Stern and Phil Crowe in my low B level Beer League game. Predicting a loss...
ok, so former nhler's playing B? Talk about ringers . . .

i definitely wouldn't mouth off to Stern, that guy could scrap . . . ;-P

Old
10-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Pete Mitchell
"Watch the canopy!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
ok, so former nhler's playing B? Talk about ringers . . .

i definitely wouldn't mouth off to Stern, that guy could scrap . . . ;-P
Yea! What is he top 50 in all time PIMs.

They wanted to play later in the week , I say too bad. I could maybe see it if the rest of the team was C-D level players but the whole team played in the highest B division last season.

Old
10-16-2013, 03:41 PM
wondeROY

Quote:
In a B league? What a bunch of d bags.

Old
10-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Pete Mitchell
"Watch the canopy!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
In a B league? What a bunch of d bags.
The sad thing is the POS league director allowed it. Two games in and I might be requesting a refund.

Old
10-20-2013, 07:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Had a coached scrimmage today. Got some compliments on my game from the coach, especially away from the puck. But I'm just snakebit. I missed the net twice on a shift where the goalie was scrambling and leaving the net open. Yikes.

Old
10-21-2013, 11:44 AM
TLow97

Won the Hockey for the Heart tournament this weekend! Scored on a slapper from the point in the championship. :::cough cough it got tipped by their own player cough cough::: :-D

Friday night, plus 3 games in 24 hours... Yeah I'm wiped!

Old
10-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Nice!

I should be getting in better shape but I'm adjusting to some meds which make it hard to work out. At least my weight's been stable the last year or so.

So I'll be working on my shot...I'm starting to think about going up to a stiffer stick. Ideally I'd like to use something very light with a stiffer flex so that I can keep getting the shots off quick. But I don't have any money so scratch that idea.

Old
10-21-2013, 12:24 PM
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
2nd game of the year tonight, ended up playing forward (I switch back and forth, my game translates decently to both)

Down 2-1 early in the 3rd we get called for a trip and end up with a 4 on 4, I win the draw back to the point, he gives it back for a wrister blockered away which comes back to me, I make a stop move near the circle and throw it at the net for the game tying goal.

We ended up winning in the shootout, 1-0-1 thus far, feels good.

Old
10-21-2013, 01:32 PM
windycity

Quote:
The sad thing is the POS league director allowed it. Two games in and I might be requesting a refund.
so what happened?

Old
10-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think I determined that I can't use the P92 anymore. Messing around with my sticks yesterday, the curve is just too big. When the stick is in shooting position cupping the puck, the blade is facing way wide of the net. Unless I was shooting from behind my body, it's going to be too far off.

Makes me wonder about the Vanek curve blades I saw at an LHS. I want something with a flatter blade but still with a little loft. Haven't used it for a while. For now I'll probably plug away with my P88 though.

Old
10-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Ozz

Got the game-winner with about 3 minutes to go the other day in my lower-tier division.

Last night my top-tier team laid down a mercy (10 goal differential) on the only team that's beaten us so far this season. Got the last goal and a couple assists through the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I think I determined that I can't use the P92 anymore. Messing around with my sticks yesterday, the curve is just too big. When the stick is in shooting position cupping the puck, the blade is facing way wide of the net. Unless I was shooting from behind my body, it's going to be too far off.

Makes me wonder about the Vanek curve blades I saw at an LHS. I want something with a flatter blade but still with a little loft. Haven't used it for a while. For now I'll probably plug away with my P88 though.
I broke my primary P88 last week and am using my backup P92 until I get the replacement. I used to like the P92 more, but now I find trouble stickhandling fast/through traffic because of it. Can't wait to get my new P88. Which blade are you currently looking at as an alternative to your P88?

Closed Thread