HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread VIII: "The makeup has to be jigged"

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2013, 11:51 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread VIII: "The makeup has to be jigged"

Last thread passed 1000, continue here.

A few posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
@jordandreger: Oilers trade Yakupov Hemsky and Smid to Philadelphia for Schenn Simmonds and Coburn. #confirmed #NHL #Oilers #Flyers

Supposedly Dregor's nephew. Found on a random twitter search.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
which schenn?

I'd rather keep one of Hemsky or Yak and drop Couts.

I'd say, the way he is currently playing, Hemmer is the best player in the deal, also, yak has the best upside and the best shot, and both smid and coburn are struggling a bit so thats not a guaranteed upgrade.

I like Simmonds and Brayden Schenn....but not at the expense of both those wingers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
I would say no but that's just me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post
It's an internet rumour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Yeah, I would do this no problem too, then flip Arcobello somewhere for some more defensive help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
From what I understand its a rumor continued from Marco Normandin's earlier rumor saying that Philly is interested in Yakupov. It's being supported with the fact that Holmgren isn't scared to make huge deals like this as well as the Edmonton media basically confirming the Mike Brown trade was a lead up to another move.

In all honesty I'm not sure how I feel about this deal. It has huge upside for both teams but could end up biting both teams in the ass.
Quote:
You bump down Arco for Schenn?

Arco has 10 points which is equal to the point total of all 4 of the Flyers players (10). Not to mention his +/- is better than all 4 of theirs put together also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
A lead to a minor move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
It's almost as if the Flyers are struggling to score...
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I don't see the media telling us there was another huge move coming though... I think we heard to many times about the huge deal that never happened. If they say its a smaller move and nothing happens they can just say it was for recalling Pitlick, etc...
Quote:
I would take something like Simmonds+Read+Morin+1st for Yak+N.Schultz+Jones

Old
10-23-2013, 11:54 AM
DousedInOil

Why do we need Read, Morin and a 1st? I'd take Schenn, Coburn and Couturier AINEC.

Old
10-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
@Slapshotsuperstar

Lets not get carried away with Arcobello.. His assists are great but I would easily bump him out of top 6 for Schenn. I would actually bump down the Nuge to 2C for Schenn as well.

Hall-Schenn-Ebs
Perron-Nuge-Hemsky\Simmonds

Old
10-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
@Slapshotsuperstar

Lets not get carried away with Arcobello.. His assists are great but I would easily bump him out of top 6 for Schenn. I would actually bump down the Nuge to 2C for Schenn as well.

Hall-Schenn-Ebs
If the Couturier and Schenn proposal, which I like, is remotely plausable, I'd have Schenn at the #4 center and Couturier in the #2 hole personally.

Old
10-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
@Slapshotsuperstar

Hall-Schenn-Ebs
Holy overrating Schenn here.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:01 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
If the Couturier and Schenn proposal, which I like, is remotely plausable, I'd have Schenn at the #4 center and Couturier in the #2 hole personally.
The Flyers brought in Lecavalier to shelter Couts. I don't think he's ready to be a number two center at this point of his career. Schenn has also been moved to the LW because Hartnell can't fill the number one LW void. I think Schenns point production will go up playing back at center (even though he's the leading scorer).

Old
10-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Shad5150

vCash: 50
Quote:
@Slapshotsuperstar

Hall-Schenn-Ebs
Not sure about that, as I think Eakins would just put them all in the blender and hit frapee. Until he matches the right crust with the right skill, projected line ups are limitless after a possible trade like that.

Hopefully, Holmgren is still in charge. If a deal like this is to go through, it would be today. Flyers play tomorrow, so today is a good day to shake things up.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Moose Coleman

People really overrate grit on this board, it's ridiculous. Someone in the last proposals thread actually wrote: "Who cares if we have 4, 5, 6 thirty goal scorers if we can't even make the fricken playoffs." Like there's no connection at all between scoring and winning.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:09 PM
OilDrop37

We haven't put the Philly rumour to rest yet? I thought it was already reported as bunk?

Old
10-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

You don't trade elite pieces like Yak for secondary pieces like Read and Morin. The only deal I'd accept is some ridiculous overpayment like Schenn+Simmonds+1st for Yak+Hemsky or something.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:12 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
People really overrate grit on this board, it's ridiculous. Someone in the last proposals thread actually wrote: "Who cares if we have 4, 5, 6 thirty goal scorers if we can't even make the fricken playoffs." Like there's no connection at all between scoring and winning.
Understandable though. We already know what all skill and no grit gets us. 30th, 30th, 29th....

Old
10-23-2013, 12:15 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

I doubt that Philly-Edmonton rumour is remotely legitimate.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Conkanen*

Schenn over RNH...

*cleaning coffee off my monitor*

Old
10-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Understandable though. We already know what all skill and no grit gets us. 30th, 30th, 29th....
Except none of those teams were particularly blessed with skill.

And I'm not saying grit isn't important, only that trading a player like Yak for complimentary gritty pieces is a loser move. I mean, L.A. was happy to part with the same package people are talking about here to get more skill on their roster and they won a Cup. Philly loads up on grit, wins bugger all.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
@Slapshotsuperstar

Hall-Schenn-Ebs
Laughable at its best you do realize Schenn is below a .5 ppg player so far and has been put in all situations to excel as a offensive player.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:24 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Except none of those teams were particularly blessed with skill.

And I'm not saying grit isn't important, only that trading a player like Yak for complimentary gritty pieces is a loser move. I mean, L.A. was happy to part with the same package people are talking about here to get more skill on their roster and they won a Cup. Philly loads up on grit, wins bugger all.
Mike Richards has a ton of grit as well as skill, not a great example.

I know what you're saying, I think people will have divided opinions on that trade for the simple fact that not everyone sees Yak as a superstar in the making.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Mike Richards has a ton of grit as well as skill, not a great example.
The principle is the same: high end skill trumps complimentary grit. That's something you should be able to find without giving up any major pieces.

Quote:
I know what you're saying, I think people will have divided opinions on that trade for the simple fact that not everyone sees Yak as a superstar in the making.
I think anyone who professes to know what Yak is or is not less than 60 games into his career are smoking something. But the fact he was drafted first overall and led the all rookies in scoring last year are promising signs that he's going to be an impact player in this league.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:34 PM
belair

The Flyers traded Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, two bonafide top-six centres for Schenn, Simmonds and Couturier two years ago. They traded the better, yet more expensive players for two up and comers and an elite role player.

Noting that, I'd be weary of Schenn and Couturier if Holmgren is willing to pull the plug on that experiment that early. Simmonds would be a dream, but I doubt he'd ever consider waiving to come here. The other two wouldn't tide the disappointment of losing Yakupov.

And if Hemsky's going anywhere, he's going in a deal as the value peace, not a throw-in to match salaries.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
The Flyers traded Jeff Carter and Mike Richards, two bonafide top-six centres for Schenn, Simmonds and Couturier two years ago. They traded the better, yet more expensive players for two up and comers and an elite role player.
It was Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek and the pick that became Couturier.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:38 PM
oilcountry17

I would like to see our lineup healthy before making that trade or make a smaller trade b. schenn coburn and a 1st or 2nd for yak and shultz sr

my lines right now with injuries would be
schenn nuge eberle
perron arco hemsky (really liked this line yesterday)
jones gordon pitlick
gazdic acton eager

petry smid
ference coburn
belov shultz (sheltered es lots of pp)
grebs

when healthy
hall/schenn nuge eberle
perron arco hemsky
hall gordon gagner
gazdic acton pitlick
jones

dee remains the same

Old
10-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
You don't trade elite pieces like Yak for secondary pieces like Read and Morin. The only deal I'd accept is some ridiculous overpayment like Schenn+Simmonds+1st for Yak+Hemsky or something.
Exactly. I still wish there was a way to do a Yakupov for E. Kane swap as I think he is the perfect type of guy we need in our top 6 and we might be one of the only teams with the assets to pry him out of Winnipeg. Not sure if either side does the deal, but it sure gives us a more balanced group.

Hall-Arcobello-Hemsky
Kane-Hopkins-Eberle
Perron-Gagner-Joensuu
Pitlick-Gordon-Gazdig
Smyth-Acton

Old
10-23-2013, 12:46 PM
stangconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post

Noting that, I'd be weary of Schenn and Couturier if Holmgren is willing to pull the plug on that experiment that early. Simmonds would be a dream, but I doubt he'd ever consider waiving to come here. The other two wouldn't tide the disappointment of losing Yakupov.

And if Hemsky's going anywhere, he's going in a deal as the value peace, not a throw-in to match salaries.
An how have the flyers done since that trade?

Old
10-23-2013, 01:09 PM
jadeddog

i don't know if i would trade yakupov by himself for simmonds, schenn and couturier .... all three are guys who have never really lived up to their billing, and are all far enough into their careers to almost be finished products (except couturier of course, but even he has 3 years in now)... they have all played on losing teams just as much as our players have, as philly hasn't really been much better than us the past 3 years

yakupov is (by far) the best player of the 4 of them.... do you trade a guy who will likely score 30+ goals for many, many years in order to fill out your roster with 3rd line players?

Old
10-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Conkanen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i don't know if i would trade yakupov by himself for simmonds, schenn and couturier ....
Neither would Holmgren.

Old
10-23-2013, 01:29 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conkanen View Post
Neither would Holmgren.
It won't be long before it's no longer his call anymore.

Closed Thread