HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Mayo Clinic calls for end of fighting in the name of safety

Old
10-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Jag68Sid87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Mits View Post
Their argument is "but hitting is an essential part of hockey whereas fighting is not". They fail to see that there is hockey leagues around the world where hitting is not allowed. It is still hockey isn't it?
Exactly. This is the greatest league in the world, the highest level of the sport. It's supposed to be different than the grassroots level. There are no 97 m.p.h. fastballs in little league. It's the big leagues, where the big boys play.

Poor Chris Pronger, we should ban fighting. After all, Mikhail Grabovski knocked him out with one punch. Big Pronger fell like a maple tree. Oh wait, Pronger's career essentially ended by the flukiest of circumstances that can happen to anyone who plays the game. My bad.

If the anti-fighting crowd does not like what guys like Maxim Lapierre are all about, they shouldn't be anti-fighting. Because we'll get an epidemic of Lapierre types with a ban on fighting.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 03:05 PM
Sonny Lamateena

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
http://www.hockeyfights.com/stats/

There were 1,905 fights in those 3 seasons.

As they mention some "fights" only 1 person got a major, but I would say the overwhelming majority had 2 fighting majors given out.
So 11 concussions in 1905 fights. And their were 84 concussions from how many bodychecks? Buffalo had the fewist hits during the 3 year span according to NHL.com so I took their total and multiplied it by 30 and got 132150, the actual total hits is significantly higher.

So 1 in every 173 fights results in a concussion and 1 in every 1573 body checks results in a concussion.

Sonny Lamateena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Dasachtach
Bluenoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
I was ballparking from memory. Underestimated hit by puck by roughly the amount I overestimated bodychecking. But the order of causes in my first post was correct: bodycheck>>>>>>accident>>>fight

Here are the actuals

Bodycheck: 69%
Fight: 8%
Accident (stick, puck, collision, unknown): 23%

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:...l.pone.0069122
Ban pucks.

Dasachtach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 12:16 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

vCash: 50
Article is no longer available. Other articles on the web about this subject cite this guy as wanting to ban fighting:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/bio/10291377.html

Dr Michael Stuart. Who is his son? This guy:

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Tanevian*

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
I've probably been to about 100 hockey games and I haven't seen one major injury due to fighting. I have seen countless injuries due to hits, sticks, and pucks though.
I'd assume, without even bothering to read the link, that it is the long term effects of fighting that are the concern.

Tanevian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
If the anti-fighting crowd does not like what guys like Maxim Lapierre are all about, they shouldn't be anti-fighting. Because we'll get an epidemic of Lapierre types with a ban on fighting.
20-30 years ago? Probably. Now, I don't think so. Fighting has become a side-show. Meaningless scrums in meaningless games (for the most part).

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Richard

Mayo Clinic calls for end of living in the name of safety

get your guns here-->

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 02:12 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Exactly. This is the greatest league in the world, the highest level of the sport. It's supposed to be different than the grassroots level. There are no 97 m.p.h. fastballs in little league. It's the big leagues, where the big boys play.

Poor Chris Pronger, we should ban fighting. After all, Mikhail Grabovski knocked him out with one punch. Big Pronger fell like a maple tree. Oh wait, Pronger's career essentially ended by the flukiest of circumstances that can happen to anyone who plays the game. My bad.

I don't understand this logic. Fighting is around now and guys like Max are running around. Has fighting stopped them? Nope. Matt Cooke cleaned up his game and it was a lengthy suspension that did it, not fighting.

canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 07:17 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
I don't understand this logic. Fighting is around now and guys like Max are running around. Has fighting stopped them? Nope. Matt Cooke cleaned up his game and it was a lengthy suspension that did it, not fighting.
There is always going to be runts running around. But the Averys and the Otts and the Lapierres would be even worse in the NHL without the threat of fighting. I liken it to fighting being sort of a disciplinary action doled out to the ones misbehaving. Some times you need to do it, other times the threat of it is enough. Taking fighting out of the game is like stripping more and more rights from a parent on how to raise their child.

And that thing that happened the other day with Moen, yeah, the linesmen were pansies by doing that. Let the grown men settle their own score.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 09:19 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
There used to be a lot less of them. People will talk about the instigator, but that's not what did it. It wasn't a rule change so much as a directive the linesmen got somewhere along the line that caused the rat explosion.

The way it used to work is a guy like Lapierre, if he wanted to play the way he does, would have to be fighting a lot. No "hey you wanna go," "no, okay." Nothing like that. He runs around, at some point, someone grabs him. Frequently it wouldn't be a guy in his weight class. You'd see things like a Steve MacIntyre type grabbing a Jordin Tootoo over a hit or a slash he didn't like.

The key difference between then and now is that linesmen DID NOT break up these mismatches. They allowed the players (or just the enforcer) to punch himself out.

Now, there were a handful of rats who didn't care and continued to play the same way anyway, no matter how many bruisers attacked them or how many beatings they took because of how they played (Samuelsson, Claude Lemieux).

But their type of mentality in a human being is somewhat rare. Most people have a self-preservation instinct.

In other words, while the fear of being jumped by an ogre, possibly having his face broken and ridden like a donkey in front of 15 thousand people might not be enough to change the behavior of someone of Cooke's disposition, you can bet your ass Max Lapierre or Niklas Kronwall would think twice before running around.

Also, a lot of players like Max Lapierre received a high number of career-ending or threatening injuries somewhere along the line.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 09:22 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

What a joke this is! What happened to 'two good guys going at it'? If you have two willing combatants who want to remove their helmets then I don't see a problem. The percentage of people getting hurt while fighting is very very low. There are WAY more concussions as a result of hits, elbows and headshots from non-respectful players...which will become even more frequent if fighting is removed. And for the record, the majority of injuries from fighting is busted hands and wrists from punching the helmet, not guys falling on the ice.

Get rid of the helmet rule. The players involved obviously don't want it there, the fans don't want it there. Just let them take their helmets off if they want. Too much time has been wasted on this. Yes player safety is important but it is for reasons like this that they get paid the money they do. There is a risk and they are compensated for it. Crab fisherman, oil rig workers have the same thing, risk of injury or death so higher pay.

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote