HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 10: Nashville @ Minnesota

Old
10-23-2013, 10:53 AM
token grinder

vCash: 500
I wouldn't get too hot and bothered about Forsberg sitting. In fact, I would expect every 10-12 games. I would expect Jones to sit 3-4 game sthis year as a HS as well. Watching A game from the press box and a young kid isn't the worst idea in the world. I don't know who he would watch it with on the road, but at home you get to sit with Brent Peterson for 60 minutes and dissect a game. For a guy 3-4 years in, it is a motivational tactic, a wake up call if you will. I have no issue with Forsberg sitting last night. We played well enough to win the game, minus, Josi, Fisher, Forsberg and Stalberg's offensive game thus far, which is saying something about Minnesota.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 10:55 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I wouldn't get too hot and bothered about Forsberg sitting. In fact, I would expect every 10-12 games. I would expect Jones to sit 3-4 game sthis year as a HS as well. Watching A game from the press box and a young kid isn't the worst idea in the world. I don't know who he would watch it with on the road, but at home you get to sit with Brent Peterson for 60 minutes and dissect a game. For a guy 3-4 years in, it is a motivational tactic, a wake up call if you will. I have no issue with Forsberg sitting last night. We played well enough to win the game, minus, Josi, Fisher, Forsberg and Stalberg's offensive game thus far, which is saying something about Minnesota.
Totally agree. It's frustrating when we don't score, but Forsberg sitting wasn't the reason. It was needed.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 11:23 AM
dulzhok

We are 27th in goals per game.

If that continues, or even improves slightly, we will go no where fast

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 11:28 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
We are 27th in goals per game.

If that continues, or even improves slightly, we will go no where fast
This is what concerns me the most.

It's sad when you hope our defensemen can get the puck in the zone because they're the only ones you have faith in to score.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 11:57 AM
thecloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I'd rather live with the mistakes and/or lack of production from a 19 year old than watch a 32 year old 3rd liner on his best day look like crap.
couldn't have said it better myself.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 12:32 PM
Iron Duke

We are two goals scored worse than a team which boasts the likes of Zach Parise, Mikko Koivu, Jason Pominville, Danny Heatley, Mikael Granlund, etc...offensive talent we really don't have. We knew GF was going to be spotty coming into the season, but THAT is a team that should be worried about their offensive output.

token grinder is exactly right about the likelihood of Forsberg's, and even Jones', minutes and games being managed a bit over the course of the year. It's either that, or we face the prospect of them being less effective by the time we really need them in February, March, and April.

Trotz giving Hendricks the benefit of the doubt and probably letting him try to work his game out a bit, but I see him sitting for Clune in the near future if he doesn't start having a positive impact.

Need Fisher back.

Hornqvist is a stud. You can tell he worked his butt off during the off-season, and is taking his 'A' seriously. Smith has been extremely impressive, and his decent point total isn't really reflecting how well he's been playing.

Need to come out strong for the next one.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
We are two goals scored worse than a team which boasts the likes of Zach Parise, Mikko Koivu, Jason Pominville, Danny Heatley, Mikael Granlund, etc...offensive talent we really don't have. We knew GF was going to be spotty coming into the season, but THAT is a team that should be worried about their offensive output.

token grinder is exactly right about the likelihood of Forsberg's, and even Jones', minutes and games being managed a bit over the course of the year. It's either that, or we face the prospect of them being less effective by the time we really need them in February, March, and April.

Trotz giving Hendricks the benefit of the doubt and probably letting him try to work his game out a bit, but I see him sitting for Clune in the near future if he doesn't start having a positive impact.

Need Fisher back.

Hornqvist is a stud. You can tell he worked his butt off during the off-season, and is taking his 'A' seriously. Smith has been extremely impressive, and his decent point total isn't really reflecting how well he's been playing.

Need to come out strong for the next one.
FWIW, and who knows....

Quote:
@ThePredatorial
Carrie Underwood lets slip that husband Mike Fisher has a "foot fracture thing". Well then.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 01:26 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Here's the fancy stats breakdown for this one. As you might imagine, it was ugly:

http://www.thepredatorial.com/2013/1...ber-23rd-2013/

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 02:10 PM
thecloser

josh cooper tweeted that Trotz said Forsberg is back in tomorrow and Fisher is skating.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 02:20 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Here's the fancy stats breakdown for this one. As you might imagine, it was ugly:

http://www.thepredatorial.com/2013/1...ber-23rd-2013/
I'm not an advanced stats guy, moreso with defensemen but it does show what we've all said, Hendricks is struggling.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 02:22 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'm not an advanced stats guy, moreso with defensemen but it does show what we've all said, Hendricks is struggling.
I can't believe we're paying him almost 2 million dollars. He's an okay penalty killer, supposedly he's good in the shootout, but he's been borderline useless in every other way. At least Clune gets under opponents' skin.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 03:17 PM
predfan98

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/228952321.html

apparently the wild think Bourque was careless and it's his fault

what a bunch of whining no account

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 03:26 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Seems like a good thing I wasn't able to watch this. We were tired, but I hate having an excuse. We need to string together a few Ws asap.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 03:39 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post

I said tongue-in-cheek last night that I was surprised no one said Weber aimed that shot at Scandella's foot. Honestly, I kind of expected Bourque or Weber to take some heat for what were a couple of accidents. It's still ridiculous

10-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post

Wow...'State of [Whiny] Hockey'*

*I say this knowing that 99% of Wild fans probably think that assertion is ludicrous as well.

We should probably just completely outlaw lifting the puck off the ice to ensure these reckless plays don't cause any more injuries. Sucks for their D though, Brodin's a stud.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 05:54 PM
glenngineer

Here's my beef with sitting Forsberg and I do understand sitting sometimes is a good thing to let a kid learn. The flip side is, if we're a team without a number 1 line and we're trying to roll 3 number 2 lines so to speak, I want the best 9 guys out on the ice on those three lines. I then want my 4th line to be a bunch of grinder/energy/PK types. To dress 5 guys that fill that role in Gaustad, Hendricks, Clune, Nystrom and Spaling is overkill. It's redundant pieces that don't generate a ton of chances.

I get why Gaustad is out there. I see the game Nystrom is playing and am happy with it. Spaling has played well as has Clune. Hendricks I'm disappointed in as he was a poor signing for the money and he's living up to that billing. So why does a team without elite or great talent up front need to dress 5 guys that effectively 3 guys can do? Even if Forsberg needed to sit last night, we have a spot on the roster for a more offensively talented player since Josi is on IR, why not call up Beck or Moser or someone else from Milwaukee for a game and get some fresh legs on the ice?

I also don't get how you sit Forsberg and let Hendricks continue to play either. The Trotzinator will always favor veterans making mistakes on the ice and continue to play them while sitting kids who effectively do the same exact thing. It drives me mad because this happens year in and year out. And to be honest, has Forsberg been put on a line where he's going to succeed? I don't think Trotz has found the right combination of players to compliment his skill set. Maybe if the coach would look in the mirror once in a while and give the players a better chance at succeeding they would as opposed to the, well, you're messing up so we're going to sit you but let the veterans play who suck just the same. It sends a bad message IMO and has for a long time.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 06:44 PM
NoNecksCurse

spot on glenn. i echo every word of that post.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 07:44 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

I've said several times that Hendricks should sit right now. The only things he's done well is become the whipping boy around here, block shots, and deliver a few hits (2nd among Preds forwards in both categories). Still ... for all of the complaints about his "stupid penalties" there are other players with as many or more minors (including a youngster) that get no mention. His offensive numbers generate rants, yet other players on the team are just as absent from the scoresheet at even strength while on the ice for more goals allowed. If the goal is to call out bad play and highlight good play, it needs to be done evenly.

While the boards are up in arms about the play of a 4th liner, more important and impacting details get overlooked. So far the team has only 13 players who skated in every game ... 21 skaters seeing action so far. With four brand new forwards, one d-man drafted this summer, and a sprinkling of youngsters with limited NHL time before this season it's no wonder why chemistry is lacking so far. Players we're counting on to perform are MIA. Bourque, Forsberg, and Wilson have a combined ZERO even strength goals.

This team needs to achieve a split or better in the two upcoming home games, get to the four off days, get healthier, and get people lined up where they make sense (not Stalberg on a 4th line opposite Hendricks).

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 07:52 PM
RaiderDoug

My two cents on the Forsberg thing - even though the kid wasn't showing up on the scoresheet (who has been?), I remember him working himself into a good shot at least a couple of times a night. Sooner or later those will shots will turn to scores.

If we're going to lose, I'd rather watch Forsberg skate in a circle and then shoot wide than Hendricks butcher the puck at mid ice and never even get near the offensive zone.

I hope it was just a maintenance day.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 08:02 PM
glenngineer

101, you're still not addressing the main issue though. If we're a team that scores by committee, I'd want that committee to be as big as possible. Having Fisher out of the lineup hurts and then taking Forsberg depletes the possibilities even further. We have to run 3 lines that have a chance to score shift in and shift out. One line of grinders is fine. Dressing 5 to almost complete two full lines of them is overkill. That's my beef more than anything.

Old
10-23-2013, 08:17 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
101, you're still not addressing the main issue though. If we're a team that scores by committee, I'd want that committee to be as big as possible. Having Fisher out of the lineup hurts and then taking Forsberg depletes the possibilities even further. We have to run 3 lines that have a chance to score shift in and shift out. One line of grinders is fine. Dressing 5 to almost complete two full lines of them is overkill. That's my beef more than anything.
What has Forsberg done at ES to warrant him not sitting a game? He's 0g, 0a, on the ice for 0 ES goals but 6 ES goals against. Hopefully he got the message and comes back ready to address the issues in his game.

Putting Stalberg on the 4th line again should be more of a point of contention last night than the rookie sitting for a game. Stalberg with a fellow winger with talent (not Hendricks) give the team the same opportunity for scoring by committee. Stalberg not getting much ES time with quality line mates, Wilson and Bourque not scoring at ES, Forsberg not scoring or even on the ice when the team scores at ES all hurt right now.

Old
10-23-2013, 08:21 PM
NoNecksCurse

maybe just maybe... the guys we thought were pretty good aren't all that great. we put too much faith in youngsters. its early but not surprising. offense will struggle period. guys like bourque and wilson who have produced before should be getting lots of criticism. we're expecting too much out of forsberg.

Old
10-23-2013, 08:41 PM
glenngineer

I think the thing that is being lost about Wilson and Bourque is they're coming off of injuries. Wilson had both shoulders done if I'm not mistaken and he may be feeling his way back. Forgot what was up with Bourque but he seems to be getting back in to form as well the last few games.

Sure, Forsberg should have sat, I get that but why doesn't the vet sit too? We can throw stats around all day long but a vet will not sit with Trotz but kids will.

Old
10-23-2013, 08:48 PM
NoNecksCurse

been that way for years. just how it is. ive done gave up that view a year or 2 ago. no neck is stubborn.

Old
10-23-2013, 09:11 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I think the thing that is being lost about Wilson and Bourque is they're coming off of injuries. Wilson had both shoulders done if I'm not mistaken and he may be feeling his way back. Forgot what was up with Bourque but he seems to be getting back in to form as well the last few games.

Sure, Forsberg should have sat, I get that but why doesn't the vet sit too? We can throw stats around all day long but a vet will not sit with Trotz but kids will.
Hendricks is a 4th liner ... period. He's out there to take limited draws, block shots, throw a few hits, maybe drop the gloves. Forsberg is there to score. Sitting Hendricks or Forsberg are independent issues.