HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread VIII: "The makeup has to be jigged"

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2013, 01:32 PM
spot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conkanen View Post
Neither would Holmgren.
I love Simmonds, throw in schenn and couturier I don't see how we could refuse such a deal?

Old
10-23-2013, 01:38 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
It won't be long before it's no longer his call anymore.
I don't know what the new GM's expectations will be off the start and yes I think Yak would be a good piece for them going forward, but I have to think goal 1 is to cut dead weight and contracts. Wouldn't moving Vinny, Hartnell, Read, Couburn, Meszaros, Streit, Grossman be the first thing a GM does? Have to think Simmonds, Schenn and Couturier are guys that want to build around, along with Giroux, Voracek and whoever else they have?

Seriously anyone else see Vinny back in TB next year?

Old
10-23-2013, 01:44 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
I love Simmonds, throw in schenn and couturier I don't see how we could refuse such a deal?
because yakupov is by far the best player of the 4, BY FAR

Old
10-23-2013, 02:39 PM
rockinghockey

Trading Yak and getting B.Schenn and simmonds makes EDM better I would do that deal any day
Hall;RNH;Eberle
Perron;Schenn ; Hemsky
Pitlick; Gordon; simmonds
Gadzick; Acton; jones

That is a very balance fwd line of course Gagner and arco have been traded
Send arco to Philly with Yak and get coburn back and add what ever to Gagner to get yandle

Old
10-23-2013, 03:48 PM
yukoner88

I had seen somewhere, someone mentioning the idea of looking into Winnipeg with the thought of a deal around Yakupov for E. Kane. Kane would bring that combo of size skill and grit we all are talking about. A top six of

Kane/Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron/Kane-Acro-Gagner/Hemsky

could be fun to watch

Last edited by yukoner88: 10-23-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: fixing terrible grammar
Old
10-23-2013, 03:51 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
because yakupov is by far the best player of the 4, BY FAR
Is he the best player right now? No I don't think so. In the future? Probably.

But does that matter? I think the Oilers have proven that it doenst matter how many stars you have, you've got to have balance and depth to win. We can keep collecting 1st overall picks, but at some point we have to addres that reality and actually add the supporting pieces we need to make noise.

Old
10-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Conkanen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
I had seen somewhere, someone mentioning the idea of looking into Winnipeg with the thought of a deal around Yakupov for E. Kane type of deal. Kane would bring that combo of size skill and grit we all are talking about. A top six of

Kane-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Acro-Gagner/Hemsky

could be fun to watch
Can't stand Kane. Epic ******. But that's my bias playing in there. SOrry but I just dislike the guy

Old
10-23-2013, 03:56 PM
jp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conkanen View Post
Can't stand Kane. Epic ******. But that's my bias playing in there. SOrry but I just dislike the guy
Agreed. Don't mind him as a player, he's definitely good, but as a person... it's another story

"Evander Kane ‏@EKane9JETS
First game back at the MTS tonight. Lets show the gucci mane how loud you guys can be! #thenatural"

Seriously, if you call yourself "the Gucci Mane" or shave YMCMB into your hair, I don't really want you on this team that ego is massive

Old
10-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
Is he the best player right now? No I don't think so. In the future? Probably.

But does that matter? I think the Oilers have proven that it doenst matter how many stars you have, you've got to have balance and depth to win. We can keep collecting 1st overall picks, but at some point we have to addres that reality and actually add the supporting pieces we need to make noise.
When did this happen?

Old
10-23-2013, 04:54 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
because yakupov projects to possibly be the best player of the 4, BY FAR if your primary objective or criteria is offensive prowess
I've corrected your statement... I expect hyperbolic Yakupov devaluation on the main board, but could we keep it a little bit real and objective in here instead of overcompensating?

Old
10-23-2013, 04:56 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
When did this happen?
2010-2013 Oilers

SC Champions

1900-2013

Old
10-23-2013, 04:59 PM
RisingSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp7 View Post
Agreed. Don't mind him as a player, he's definitely good, but as a person... it's another story

"Evander Kane ‏@EKane9JETS
First game back at the MTS tonight. Lets show the gucci mane how loud you guys can be! #thenatural"

Seriously, if you call yourself "the Gucci Mane" or shave YMCMB into your hair, I don't really want you on this team that ego is massive
Why you hating on his swag bro.

Old
10-23-2013, 05:06 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
I've corrected your statement... I expect hyperbolic Yakupov devaluation on the main board, but could we keep it a little bit real and objective in here instead of overcompensating?
so you don't think yakupov is the best of those 4 players? hmm, interesting

Old
10-23-2013, 05:13 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
2010-2013 Oilers

SC Champions

1900-2013
We shouldn't be trying to make moves hoping to win a cup. We need to be making smart moves to continue to get better. Trading away high end potential is not a move we should be making today. Not unless it results in us getting high end potential in areas that we lack.

Old
10-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Why do we need Read, Morin and a 1st? I'd take Schenn, Coburn and Couturier AINEC.
My thinking behind this is based on a few things:

#1 Simmonds- We need a sure roster player back to replace Yakupov.
#2 Read- We need a roster player back to offset the high-end skill potential of Yakupov that Simmonds will not fill alone in the stats+W/L depts.
#3 Morin- A high end prospect to replenish the cupboards in our prospect pool that addresses organizational needs, which will off-set our 15-18 yr. loss.
#4 1st Rd. Pick- A safety net in case said prospect does not pan out.

We have no need for C now atm, so I would pass on Schenn, and Couturier, they are unproven HF fanboy delights IMO, and would become redundant on our roster. Coburn would be nice however we simply cannot afford his caphit if we take back Simmonds.

I have no interest in giving away Hemsky at this time. The N.Schultz and Jones throw ins are essentially cap-dumps so we can afford Simmonds/Read and pursue a goalie or D at the TD or sooner this year+ next once Reads new deal kicks in.

#1 over-all picks have gone for more than this in the past, and Yakupov is relatively unproven at this point.

I'm not endorsing trading Yakupov, but if I was forced to a deal with Philly today this is probably something I would build the trade around.

Last edited by Steve BachIntyre: 10-23-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old
10-23-2013, 05:26 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
We shouldn't be trying to make moves hoping to win a cup. We need to be making smart moves to continue to get better. Trading away high end potential is not a move we should be making today. Not unless it results in us getting high end potential in areas that we lack.
Sorry my kinda snarky response was more that the Oilers have assembled some high-end talent over the last 3 years and been crushed. There are many reasons for that.

But I also think that probably every Stanley Cup championship team in living memory has had a pretty balanced roster. I'm pretty positive our roster is not a SC winning one.

Old
10-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Musashi

Imo, all that scrutiny about Kane was massively overblown by the media

Kid seems fine to me and would be a hell of an addition to this team but trading for him is a pipe dream

Old
10-23-2013, 05:29 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
My thinking behind this is based on a few things:

#1 Simmonds- We need a sure roster player back to replace Yakupov.
#2 Read- We need a roster player back to offset the high-end skill potential of Yakupov that Simmonds will not fill alone in the stats+W/L depts.
#3 Morin- A high end prospect to replenish the cupboards in our prospect pool which addresses organizational needs, which will off-set our 15-18 yr. loss.
#4 1st Rd. Pick- A safety net in case said prospect does not pan out.

We have no need for C now atm, so I would pass on Schenn, and Couturier, they are unproven HF fanboy delights IMO, and would become redundant on our roster. Coburn would be nice however we simply cannot afford his caphit if we take back Simmonds.

I have no interest in giving away Hemsky at this time. The N.Schultz and Jones throw ins are essentially cap-dumps so we can pursue a goalie or D in the future.

#1 over-all picks have gone for more than this in the past, and Yakupov is relatively unproven at this point.
Isn't Morin kinda redundant with our prospect pool? I rather look for that young d-man that is in the NHL and has potential instead of taking multiple assets that may or may not pan out. Even Read, when is he dealt? Bad contract for a guy who is pretty much a third liner. At 27 we might've seen the best of the kid. At this point I rather go with Arcobello than have Read being the #2 asset in a deal for Yak that doesn't include a top line player.

Old
10-23-2013, 05:32 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Sorry my kinda snarky response was more that the Oilers have assembled some high-end talent over the last 3 years and been crushed. There are many reasons for that.

But I also think that probably every Stanley Cup championship team in living memory has had a pretty balanced roster. I'm pretty positive our roster is not a SC winning one.
I wouldn't disagree, but trading high end 1st rounders for guys that play 16 minutes or less a night isn't the answer.

Old
10-23-2013, 05:48 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangconv View Post
An how have the flyers done since that trade?
My point.

Nothing.

Introduce two young players who have somewhat impressive two-way games on another team and watch them come back down to Earth in this system. Meanwhile watch the better player in Yakupov light the world up in an American market with Claude Giroux.

Holmgren prays that MacT would be stupid enough to make that trade or one like it. His job depends on it.

Old
10-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Isn't Morin kinda redundant with our prospect pool? I rather look for that young d-man that is in the NHL and has potential instead of taking multiple assets that may or may not pan out. Even Read, when is he dealt? Bad contract for a guy who is pretty much a third liner. At 27 we might've seen the best of the kid. At this point I rather go with Arcobello than have Read being the #2 asset in a deal for Yak that doesn't include a top line player.
I would also rather have a young D Stud as well, however I really don't see any on the Flyers roster other than Schenn who could replace Read per se.

Old
10-23-2013, 05:59 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
so you don't think yakupov is the best of those 4 players? hmm, interesting
Are you changing the goalpost? You said "BY FAR". And no, I do not think Yakupov is TODAY the best player of the 4 BY FAR.

But even if I did, I would have to recognize that those players are all good players, who perhaps fit our needs better than Yakupov AND the proposal in question has ALL THREE of them coming to Edmonton.

Can you honestly say that if you were Eakins dressing the next lineup for Edmonton that you wouldn't think twice about dressing Simmonds for some more grit in the top 6, or Couturier to help Gordon shoulder the defensive responsibilities at C? Especially with Yak's continued struggles?

Hmmm... interesting.

Old
10-23-2013, 06:02 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
I would also rather have a young D Stud as well, however I really don't see any on the Flyers roster other than Schenn who could replace Read per se.
Then I think we pass on trading Yak to PHI. It's not like we have to make a move tomorrow. Lets see how guys progress and maybe make a deal at TDD or during the summer.

I just can't see us making that risky of move. Not while we have our 1st and prospects to move.

In all fairness Read shouldn't cost you much more than a 2nd and Fedun/Larsen. He isn't exactly better or more proven or has a higher ceiling than Perron.

Old
10-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Soundwave

I'd do

Yakupov + Arcobello + N. Schultz

for

B. Schenn + Simmonds

Hall Schenn Eberle
Perron RNH Simmonds
Joensuu Gagner Hemsky
Gazdic Gordon Pitlick

Is a considerably more balanced lineup.

Old
10-23-2013, 06:12 PM
molsonmuscle360

People are giving up on Yak because of a poor start. But if you guys knew anything about goal scorers, once Yaks gets one, I expect him to score 6-8 goals within 4 games.

Closed Thread