HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 7) Can't Win Olympic Games Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2013, 10:51 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post
Your right for french, Larousse says its just below average.

But: https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/mediocre
Another example of a word that might cause some confusion here is people using the word 'deceiving' or décevant. In english it would mean more something that was meant to make you believe something that was not true, implying intent. In french it can just mean disappointing.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
10-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
In french, (and maybe even in english in some definitions) mediocre means less than average.
Well, when the word derives its meaning from Latin for "middle of the mountain", not "just below the middle of the mountain"...

Mediocre as a negative stems from failure to meet above average expectations. Maybe the French culture is more punitive linguistically when it comes to failing to meet or live up to expectations? Either way, when the context involves a scale with only three grades (bad, mediocre, good), obviously mediocre is meant to encompass the full spectrum of the middle ground, leaving good/bad to cover the ranges at opposite ends. Which is to say, mediocre kind of has to cover everything from just slightly bad to just slightly good in at least some way here.

Old
10-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Well, when the word derives its meaning from Latin for "middle of the mountain", not "just below the middle of the mountain"...

Mediocre as a negative stems from failure to meet above average expectations. Maybe the French culture is more punitive linguistically when it comes to failing to meet or live up to expectations? Either way, when the context involves a scale with only three grades (bad, mediocre, good), obviously mediocre is meant to encompass the full spectrum of the middle ground, leaving good/bad to cover the ranges at opposite ends. Which is to say, mediocre kind of has to cover everything from just slightly bad to just slightly good in at least some way here.
Is the word "meh" better?

Example:
"How did Price play?"
"Meh"

Kind of captures the "though he wasn't that bad or that good, we wasn't average either."

Old
10-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Is the word "meh" better?

Example:
"How did Price play?"
"Meh"

Kind of captures the "though he wasn't that bad or that good, we wasn't average either."
"Meh" implies a level of indifference or not necessarily caring. When it comes to the performance of the goaltender of the Montreal Canadiens, I think we can both agree that "indifference" and "not necessarily caring" aren't attributes of the general fan base.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:18 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Mediocre might be less desired but it means average.
Mediocre would equal to an average-quality performance not a low one.

I'm personally not blaming Price but if you think he had a poor game (low quality performance) call it as it is...mediocre is not the word.

like AMAZING (game 1)
What a hilarious post. Again you try to correct me when you're flat out wrong. You don't even know the definition of the word you're trying to correct me in. Almost every definition of "mediocre" is described as average to below-average.

Sources: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mediocre (low quality, value, ability, or performance)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mediocre (Moderate to inferior in quality)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mediocre (2. not satisfactory; poor; inferior)

So if I think that Price played poorly, but wasn't necessarily bad, I think mediocre, meaning "not satisfactory, poor, or inferior" (as a reminder, because obviously you didn't take the time to research something you don't even understand), then I think mediocre represents his performance perfectly. I mean, the word poor is literally in one of those definitions, and you even used the word "poorly" yourself to describe Price's play.

Mediocre is the perfect word. At least educate yourself before correcting people. It only makes you look worse. And give it up with your obsession with definitions, you were wrong and now it's just embarrassing to watch.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
What a hilarious post. Again you try to correct me when you're flat out wrong. You don't even know the definition of the word you're trying to correct me in. Almost every definition of "mediocre" is described as average to below-average.

Sources: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mediocre (low quality, value, ability, or performance)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mediocre (2. not satisfactory; poor; inferior)

So if I think that Price played poorly, but wasn't necessarily bad, I think mediocre, meaning "not satisfactory, poor, or inferior" (as a reminder, because obviously you didn't take the time to research something you don't even understand), then I think mediocre represents his performance perfectly. I mean, the word poor is literally in one of those definitions, and you even used the word "poorly" yourself to describe Price's play.

Mediocre is the perfect word. At least educate yourself before correcting people. It only makes you look worse. And give it up with your obsession with definitions, you were wrong and now it's just embarrassing to watch.
The funny part is you're using the second definition of the word (2. not satisfactory; poor; inferior) to say that he's "flat out wrong" for using the first definition of the word (1. of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate). "Embarrassingly", neither of you is actually wrong, although in the context of the play of a "top 10 goalie", perhaps "mediocre" does carry a connotation of "poor/not satisfactory" in relation to expectations.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:41 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
The funny part is you're using the second definition of the word (2. not satisfactory; poor; inferior) to say that he's "flat out wrong" for using the first definition of the word (1. of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate). "Embarrassingly", neither of you is actually wrong, although in the context of the play of a "top 10 goalie", perhaps "mediocre" does carry a connotation of "poor/not satisfactory" in relation to expectations.
I... knew I was using the second definition of the word. That's why I bolded the number 2 as well. Not to mention that some of those definitions use low-quality to describe mediocre in their first definitions, most notably the Merriam-Webster definition. And I think if you read my posts regarding this stupid "definition" discussion, even the very post you're quoting, I've been saying the whole time that the word mediocre meant average to below-average. I even said it in the first paragraph of the very post you replied to.

Genesis is the one who says the word strictly means average and nothing else. I have said all along that it has more than one definition. How exactly are you correcting me?

I am sure most people would agree that "mediocre" is a valid description of Price's performance last night.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I... knew I was using the second definition of the word. That's why I bolded the number 2 as well. Not to mention that some of those definitions use low-quality to describe mediocre in their first definitions, most notably the Merriam-Webster. And I think if you read my posts regarding this stupid "definition" discussion, even the very post you're quoting, I've been saying the whole time that the word mediocre meant average to below-average. I said it in the first paragraph of the very post you quoted!

Genesis is the one who says the word strictly means average and nothing else. I have said all along that it has more than one definition. How exactly are you correcting me?

I am sure most people would agree that "mediocre" is a valid description of Price's performance last night.
Who said I was correcting anyone, Mr. Touchy? I said it was funny that both of you seemed so adamant in your beliefs, or that they were somehow totally incompatible. But by all means, back yourself into a corner, raise your fur, and come out biting.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Genesis76

vCash: 50
Quote:

The roots of the adjective mediocre are from the Latin medial, "middle," and ocris, "mountain." If you think about it, the middle of a mountain is neither up nor down and neither here nor there — just somewhere in between

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/mediocre

And just look at the synonyms as well.

Another thing we have been using mediocre on this thread when implying that the performances were average.... so as usual your the one who's flat out wrong.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:59 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Who said I was correcting anyone, Mr. Touchy? I said it was funny that both of you seemed so adamant in your beliefs, or that they were somehow totally incompatible. But by all means, back yourself into a corner, raise your fur, and come out biting.
You're right, sorry. I didn't think you needed to tell me that I was using the second definition because I knew it, and I thought you were trying to correct me. I misinterpreted your post, my apologies!

Would you agree that Price had a mediocre performance?

Quote:
The roots of the adjective mediocre are from the Latin medial, "middle," and ocris, "mountain." If you think about it, the middle of a mountain is neither up nor down and neither here nor there — just somewhere in between

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/mediocre

And just look at the synonyms as well.

Another thing we have been using mediocre on this thread when implying that the performances were average.... so as usual your the one who's flat out wrong.
This is too much. I provide you with three sources explaining to you that the definition doesn't strictly mean average, which you so adamantly believed. One of those sources was Merriam-Webster, an actual dictionary. Then you come back with the notorious and reputable "vocabulary.com". This is golden.

We all know the word "mediocre" has evolved to often mean slightly below average. When people describe things in every day situations as "mediocre", they often don't actually mean average. Most people will just say "average" if they think something is average. Mediocre is often used to describe something below average, or something that blurs the line between average and below-average. The word "poor" comes to mind.

I haven't followed the thread too much as of late because everyone was just arguing semantics. I see that you're still fighting that intense war.

Old
10-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Genesis76

Quote:
You're right, sorry. I didn't think you needed to tell me that I was using the second definition because I knew it, and I thought you were trying to correct me. I misinterpreted your post, my apologies!

This is too much. I provide you with three sources explaining to you that the definition doesn't strictly mean average, which you so adamantly believed. One of those sources was Merriam-Webster, an actual dictionary. Then you come back with the notorious and reputable "vocabulary.com". This is golden.

We all know the word "mediocre" has evolved to often mean slightly below average. When people describe things in every day situations as "mediocre", they often don't actually mean average. Most people will just say "average" if they think something is average. Mediocre is often used to describe something below average, or something that blurs the line between average and below-average. The word "poor" comes to mind.

I haven't followed the thread too much as of late because everyone was just arguing semantics. I see that you're still fighting that intense war.
Hold on buddy I never said strictly.

I just showed you a couple of sites and a few synonyms that defined mediocre as something average.

Old
10-23-2013, 01:21 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Hold on buddy I never said strictly.

I just showed you a couple of sites and a few synonyms that defined mediocre as something average.
Really now? You never said the word strictly, but you denied that it had anything to do with less than average quality:

Quote:
Mediocre might be less desired but it means average.
Mediocre would equal to an average-quality performance not a low one.
You backed it up with the all powerful "vocabulary.com". I used multiple sources, including an actual dictionary. So please, if you are going to correct me, at least be right about it. Give it up with the constant nitpicking.

Old
10-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Genesis76

Quote:
Really now? You never said the word strictly, but you denied that it had anything to do with less than average quality:

You backed it up with the all powerful "vocabulary.com". I used multiple sources, including an actual dictionary. So please, if you are going to correct me, at least be right about it. Give it up with the constant nitpicking.
alright dude we are both right

I used multiple sources too... its not my fault you choose to ignore them

Old
10-23-2013, 01:30 PM
lostriver

woa. we are discussing Latin here? Price would be "Pretium", I guess.

Old
10-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Kirk Muller

Its bad when a Price hater is now whining about a poster using the word "mediocre" to describe Prices performance last night and some how thats sugar coating it or softening it. Thats troll like and why this board has dropped in quality. Most of these posters only post if their is a bad Price goal or game, how is that any different than another fan trolling the board?

Old
10-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Okay based on comments in this thread and others I'm saying Price mediocre and D bad. I didn't see the game so if somebody really disagrees speak now or forever hold your peace.

As for the 'mediocre' part of the equation on Price, it doesn't sound like it was his best outing but he wasn't 'bad'.... we'll go with mediocre on this one. Average goalie on this one is going to get rated 'mediocre' for the purposes of these records. Just makes things easier.

Game 1: Price Good, Defense Bad
Game 2: Price Good, Defense Good
Game 3: Price Good, Defense Bad
Game 4: Budaj Good, Defense Good
Game 5: Price Good, Defense Bad
Game 6: Price Good, Defense Mediocre
Game 7: Price Good, Defense Good
Game 8: Price Good, Defense Mediocre
Game 9: Price Mediocre, Defense Bad

Old
10-23-2013, 02:16 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
alright dude we are both right

I used multiple sources too... its not my fault you choose to ignore them
No, the only source you used was vocabulary.com... Look back and see for yourself.

I always agreed that mediocre meant average as well, but you went a little far by choosing to criticize the definitions of words in a thread about a goalie, and absolutely denying that it didn't only mean one thing. You were right that it meant average, but also wrong by trying to say that's all it meant.

It's ridiculous that you interpreted my initial post as "softening it up for Carey". It really helps illustrate your mindset and opinions on Price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Its bad when a Price hater is now whining about a poster using the word "mediocre" to describe Prices performance last night and some how thats sugar coating it or softening it. Thats troll like and why this board has dropped in quality. Most of these posters only post if their is a bad Price goal or game, how is that any different than another fan trolling the board?
I didn't think Genesis76 was a Price hater until he actually interpreted calling Price's play "mediocre" as going easy on Price. I mean, really?

I wouldn't say he is trolling, but I would definitely say he responded in an immature manner.

Old
10-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Genesis76

Quote:
It's ridiculous that you interpreted my initial post as "softening it up for Carey". It really helps illustrate your mindset and opinions on Price.

I didn't think Genesis76 was a Price hater until he actually interpreted calling Price's play "mediocre" as going easy on Price. I mean, really?

I wouldn't say he is trolling, but I would definitely say he responded in an immature manner.
Well in yesterdays game you basically said that Price and the team were mediocre but overall the game was bad.

Well thats exactly the opposite of saying: that Price and the team were average but overall the game was good...(with my definition of mediocre)

Do you recall your first comment when you said that Price's first game performance was Amazing? Of course you remember because I keep reminding you

In general I just feel you see things in pink when it comes to Price.

Any way I agree with your assessment of Price being mediocre (low-quality) last game

Old
10-23-2013, 03:21 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Well in yesterdays game you basically said that Price and the team were mediocre but overall the game was bad.

Well thats exactly the opposite of saying: that Price and the team were average but overall the game was good...(with my definition of mediocre)

Do you recall your first comment when you said that Price's first game performance was Amazing? Of course you remember because I keep reminding you

In general I just feel you see things in pink when it comes to Price.

Any way I agree with your assessment of Price being mediocre (low-quality) last game
That's because Price was mediocre, and the defense were mediocre as well. The game was bad overall, mainly because the team didn't work well together, the effort level went down, and as a group we didn't play well at either end of the ice. You make a correlation that isn't necessarily even there...

And I recall saying he made a bunch of amazing saves, and I also remember saying that I exaggerated when saying he played amazing. But you were nitpicking on that word too, just like you're nitpicking on "mediocre". At least I correct myself when I feel I'm in the wrong, unlike you.

It's become pretty clear to me that you are way too sensitive to positive comments about Price. You were obsessed with the semantics of words like "amazing" and "mediocre", taking away from the conversation at hand about our goalie in exchange for your useless English lessons, because you feel that people are too easy on Price.

I think that should tell everyone more about you as a poster than it should Price. The fact that you're always so worried about people potentially giving him any positive opinions or an undeserved compliment (calling him mediocre is being too nice according to you) is a telling sign that you consistently try to look for the worst in Price.

Old
10-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

Was I not among the first to say exactly that after the game, in both this thread and the PGT?

Old
10-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Mediocre performance by Carey. 1st of the year. On a scale of 82 games, that means, 9 bad games out of 82 games. If that trend continues, he wins the Vezina. I have no problem with having a bad game, as he has saved us regularly so far. But it is what it is. While it was Hemsky....he surely would like to see the first one. Would like to have directed his return better, and would have liked to freeze that puck on the Jones goal.

Old
10-23-2013, 05:47 PM
habsfanatics

I had the d bad price bad.

Old
10-23-2013, 06:13 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Was I not among the first to say exactly that after the game, in both this thread and the PGT?
Right, I thought you would have a snarky response. I keep track of your posts and everything you say, apparently.

Old
10-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Right, I thought you would have a snarky response. I keep track of your posts and everything you say, apparently.
Bro, it was post 91 in the thread. Know who 90 was? You. And it was only one page ago, 1 minute after you posted your 'mediocre/mediocre' vote, lol.

Old
10-23-2013, 06:46 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Bro, it was post 91 in the thread. Know who 90 was? You. And it was only one page ago, 1 minute after you posted your 'mediocre/mediocre' vote, lol.
It doesn't matter the order of the posts... I don't memorize your posts and opinions, wherever you write them. When I apologize, and then ask you your opinion on something and you respond by telling me you already wrote your thoughts in two places elsewhere in the forum, who really cares? Seriously, that's just as snarky as you can be.

I'm really not surprised why you and Genesis76 agree on so many topics.

Closed Thread