HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff ONeill

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2004, 06:59 AM
ducky

vCash: 500
Jeff ONeill

Posted on the Carolina board...that Phoenix is one of the teams interested in acquiring ONeill.

For comparison sake...Vancouver fans are talking Sopel, Umberger, and another prospect type deal.

What (if anything) would you be willing to trade for O'Neill.

from TSN:
Preseason projected role O'Neill will again be counted on to be the Hurricanes' go-to scorer in 2003-04. He had an inconsistent campaign last year.
Assets Has terrific speed, shifty moves and a lethal shot. Is confident in his ability to put up big numbers. Hits everything in sight.
Flaws Could still improve his defensive game. Must avoid taking matters into his own hands and show more discipline on the ice.
Career potential Top-line sniper.

Old
01-18-2004, 07:14 AM
Plan 9

From a Canes fan perspective, I doubt we'll be seeing O'Neill dealt. Especially after his three goal performance a couple days ago. If he was on the trading block, I'm sure that bought him some more time.

Old
01-18-2004, 07:27 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov71
From a Canes fan perspective, I doubt we'll be seeing O'Neill dealt. Especially after his three goal performance a couple days ago. If he was on the trading block, I'm sure that bought him some more time.
Possibly. Depends how desperate the coaching or management wants a perceived problem in O'Neil to be removed. I use the term perceived problem because i vaguely recall some problems between O'Neil and the former coaching staff.

In terms of what Phoenix has to offer. Kolanos's name jumps out immediately. Hrdina is another name. Johnson, another.

As expected, Phoenix doesn't seem to be overconcerned with dumping payroll anymore.

Old
01-18-2004, 07:41 AM
PhoPhan

I think Johnson has to be a major candidate. The Coyotes are playing great without him, and his performance last year adds to his value.

Old
01-18-2004, 01:42 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Johnson is still a one year wonder. Other GM's will argue he is a 40 point man who's production was greatly boosted by playing with Nagy and Langkow. Yet we know he is a player who makes every line he plays on better. But he was also horrible for the first 50 games of his Coyotes career. He might be horrible on another team. How do you measure the trade value of a player like that? I dont think its very high so my preference is to keep him and his established chemistry on this team.

I think Carolina are willing to trade O'Neill.. they just need offense back in a big way.. so maybe for two forwards. As much as I like him as a player Im unenthusiastic about paying the price for an out-of-form player that could end up as another Amonte. Also is there any bad blood between CAR-PHX over Danny Markov's contract?

Old
01-18-2004, 06:23 PM
Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
Also is there any bad blood between CAR-PHX over Danny Markov's contract?
Why would there be bad blood over a contract? His contract with the Coyotes expired. He was a RFA. His contract with the CAR has nothing to do with PHX

Old
01-18-2004, 07:00 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
Possibly. Depends how desperate the coaching or management wants a perceived problem in O'Neil to be removed. I use the term perceived problem because i vaguely recall some problems between O'Neil and the former coaching staff.
there is no problem with oneill and the coaching staff. he got pissed off when maurice bag skated the team. he is opinionated and emotional, not bad qualities. the team (more importantly the gm) has always stood behind him when he snaps. i think theyre still behind him now, they are just considering rebuilding the team and he could get the most back. rutherford may just be fishing to see what he is worth.

Closed Thread