HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-22-2013, 09:54 PM
  #476
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Is this situation with Addessi and Hargraves mis-managed? I dont pretend to know behind the scenes here but why not just move them quietly and move on. It looks bad to announce this and who knows how long they sit for. But maybe most importantly it puts leverage in the buyers hands. If they wait for the right move trying to take some leverage back, It doesnt look great to have them sit. Something young prospects and agents might not like either.
I think you're right ML. It's tough to know for certain but with their depth (all similar talent level in the rotating group) maybe they were trying to find a trade but players grew tired.

Hope these players find a team to play with

dean youngblood82 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 10:21 PM
  #477
defensehockey19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I realize you posted it but my question is if he can't reach his potential in Peterborough how is he going to reach it somewhere else. So your answer is let's get him to a team that might be vulnerable enough to ship him to. A Barrie fan tried that same thing your doing earlier with Fotinos, which didn't work.
And look what Fotinos did with Windsor in his first start against the London Knights. Changing teams can bring out the best in a player to prove their worth. It was just an idea... Is it going to happen? Probably not. Just wanted feedback to create discussion.

Here's hoping Addesi and Hargrave join there new teams sooner rather than later and can have a good rest of the season in their draft year!

defensehockey19 is offline  
Old
10-22-2013, 11:51 PM
  #478
Northsouth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 36
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
And look what Fotinos did with Windsor in his first start against the London Knights. Changing teams can bring out the best in a player to prove their worth. It was just an idea... Is it going to happen? Probably not. Just wanted feedback to create discussion.

Here's hoping Addesi and Hargrave join there new teams sooner rather than later and can have a good rest of the season in their draft year!
Well you got feedback and created a discussion. My question to you is why are you hoping for these kids that left their team hanging, to have a good rest of season. Really, this sounds like mom or dad talking. Message to you: you wanted your son out because of your selfish ego. Your son is not going to make the show because you and his agent will not let him fight through the adversity he's going through.

Northsouth is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 12:39 AM
  #479
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Well you got feedback and created a discussion. My question to you is why are you hoping for these kids that left their team hanging, to have a good rest of season. Really, this sounds like mom or dad talking. Message to you: you wanted your son out because of your selfish ego. Your son is not going to make the show because you and his agent will not let him fight through the adversity he's going through.
Why not wish that? Its normal.


Last edited by mapleleaf979: 10-23-2013 at 12:44 AM.
mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 06:59 AM
  #480
defensehockey19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Well you got feedback and created a discussion. My question to you is why are you hoping for these kids that left their team hanging, to have a good rest of season. Really, this sounds like mom or dad talking. Message to you: you wanted your son out because of your selfish ego. Your son is not going to make the show because you and his agent will not let him fight through the adversity he's going through.
LOL, losing really brings out the best in people eh? too funny though! Have a good one bud

defensehockey19 is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 07:00 AM
  #481
dansk55
Registered User
 
dansk55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Well you got feedback and created a discussion. My question to you is why are you hoping for these kids that left their team hanging, to have a good rest of season. Really, this sounds like mom or dad talking. Message to you: you wanted your son out because of your selfish ego. Your son is not going to make the show because you and his agent will not let him fight through the adversity he's going through.
Every player, or parent thinks their kid deserves first line minutes. Do they? Not a chance. Hargrave had lots of opportunity to prove himself but couldn't score. He has power forward written all over him but played like a swede. Addessi, is more puzzling. There must be something between coach and player that turned him off Sarnia and that happens.
I m sure all will survive and play. What level, who knows. Sometimes a change is as good as a vacation. Personally, there was other players who should go, but i think they realized they have it pretty good on a bottom team. Besides, if you are a third, 4th or duster, you fate isn't much better somewhere else.

dansk55 is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 08:14 AM
  #482
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Well you got feedback and created a discussion. My question to you is why are you hoping for these kids that left their team hanging, to have a good rest of season. Really, this sounds like mom or dad talking. Message to you: you wanted your son out because of your selfish ego. Your son is not going to make the show because you and his agent will not let him fight through the adversity he's going through.
Easyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy....PetesFan is not the parent of either player. It's perfectly fine to wish these young teenagers the best.

dean youngblood82 is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 08:28 AM
  #483
Styx and Stones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Easyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy....PetesFan is not the parent of either player. It's perfectly fine to wish these young teenagers the best.
The real problem for Sting fans is that two players from a recent draft have bailed out in their draft year. This is a major risk for players to take and it suggests that they were very unhappy. Players talk, agents talk... And unhappy players will make upcoming drafts more difficult. Will Sarnia become a no go draft destination? For this reason I think the players should have been moved quickly and quietly. The longer this festers, the bigger a problem it will become.

Styx and Stones is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 08:33 AM
  #484
defensehockey19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Easyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy....PetesFan is not the parent of either player. It's perfectly fine to wish these young teenagers the best.
LOL, that's what I was thinking! Hilarious!

defensehockey19 is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 02:37 PM
  #485
Gr8northscout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
no go destination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx and Stones View Post
The real problem for Sting fans is that two players from a recent draft have bailed out in their draft year. This is a major risk for players to take and it suggests that they were very unhappy. Players talk, agents talk... And unhappy players will make upcoming drafts more difficult. Will Sarnia become a no go draft destination? For this reason I think the players should have been moved quickly and quietly. The longer this festers, the bigger a problem it will become.
there aren't any no go destinations
you draft according to your needs the best player available. if he refuses to report, you offer him as trade bait to better your team.
the soo greyhound drafted Lindros despite him anouncing before the draft that he wouldn't report. they traded him and went on to win the league 3 years in a row and a memorial cup.

Gr8northscout is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 02:57 PM
  #486
Shaun Bisson
Registered User
 
Shaun Bisson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 253
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8northscout View Post
there aren't any no go destinations
you draft according to your needs the best player available. if he refuses to report, you offer him as trade bait to better your team.
the soo greyhound drafted Lindros despite him anouncing before the draft that he wouldn't report. they traded him and went on to win the league 3 years in a row and a memorial cup.
To that note, Gretzky also refused to report to the Soo before they drafted him and he ended up reporting. Most kids aren't unreasonable about where they play hockey. As has been said before, this was a parent influenced decision. Parents might be selective, but most kids are just happy to get the chance to play Jr. A.

Shaun Bisson is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 03:26 PM
  #487
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx and Stones View Post
The real problem for Sting fans is that two players from a recent draft have bailed out in their draft year. This is a major risk for players to take and it suggests that they were very unhappy. Players talk, agents talk... And unhappy players will make upcoming drafts more difficult. Will Sarnia become a no go draft destination? For this reason I think the players should have been moved quickly and quietly. The longer this festers, the bigger a problem it will become.
I agree that this will not help for sure and agree move them quickly.Lots of politics. No doubt agents have a lot of say as appears to be the case with Koodola.Hasn't did much in my eyes but getting the ice time.Then you have the bosses son dressing when others were playing better sits out.Dont blame Addessi or his parents for their decision. They see this also along with fans from other teams that comment at the arena.Hargrave a bit different,had a chance but was struggling and too bad if you didnt like the 3rd line.What ever happen to playing the best players regardless who their daddy is or agent.I know,I know ,Jr hockey has turned into big business.Good luck too both players and hope they dont come back and haunt us.

massey is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 04:32 PM
  #488
Styx and Stones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8northscout View Post
there aren't any no go destinationsyou draft according to your needs the best player available. if he refuses to report, you offer him as trade bait to better your team.
the soo greyhound drafted Lindros despite him anouncing before the draft that he wouldn't report. they traded him and went on to win the league 3 years in a row and a memorial cup.
This is inaccurate. Every team, when they call a player before the draft asks the following question.....If we draft you, will you report. If the player says no, and they really want them, a sales job begins. In the end, no team will draft a player that says no, unless they are a true talent like Lindros or Gretzky. Do you really believe no one wanted Domi before he was taken by Kingston who had a precooked deal with the Knights? Even if I accept your argument that players will still be selected after declining, I will only agree if they are first rounders, A bad rep hurts you with the second and third round picks. It's very easy to play the NCAA card in the second round and quite frankly a team cannot risk losing second rounders. I stand by my original post...this is not a good situation for the Sting and they need to rectify it ASAP. Moving them quickly will show that it is a destination where icetime must be earned and if it is not working out, then they will help a kid further his career by moving him. How could anyone complain about that? To drag your heels to punish a kid or agent is shortsighted.

Styx and Stones is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 05:25 PM
  #489
krauss72
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 477
vCash: 500
Well it is getting old. We knew Jacko was the reason for losing guys like Ritchey, Kujawinski, Hope, Alderson, Char, etc and they all faired well elsewhere. Who are we going to blame now? We have to make this a place where lads want to report and want to stay. Having the owners son on a different team would probably do him and the team a favour. It won't happen but most agree it should. Make trades quickly so this doesn't become more of a distraction then it already is.

krauss72 is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 05:28 PM
  #490
Gr8northscout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx and Stones View Post
This is inaccurate. Every team, when they call a player before the draft asks the following question.....If we draft you, will you report. If the player says no, and they really want them, a sales job begins. In the end, no team will draft a player that says no, unless they are a true talent like Lindros or Gretzky. Do you really believe no one wanted Domi before he was taken by Kingston who had a precooked deal with the Knights? Even if I accept your argument that players will still be selected after declining, I will only agree if they are first rounders, A bad rep hurts you with the second and third round picks. It's very easy to play the NCAA card in the second round and quite frankly a team cannot risk losing second rounders. I stand by my original post...this is not a good situation for the Sting and they need to rectify it ASAP. Moving them quickly will show that it is a destination where icetime must be earned and if it is not working out, then they will help a kid further his career by moving him. How could anyone complain about that? To drag your heels to punish a kid or agent is shortsighted.
Sounds like you're agreeing with my comment. It happens more than we know.
I don't think the Sting are to blame. Every player does this for their own needs. Trades sometimes take time to take shape.

Gr8northscout is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 05:31 PM
  #491
Gr8northscout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Owner's son

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauss72 View Post
Well it is getting old. We knew Jacko was the reason for losing guys like Ritchey, Kujawinski, Hope, Alderson, Char, etc and they all faired well elsewhere. Who are we going to blame now? We have to make this a place where lads want to report and want to stay. Having the owners son on a different team would probably do him and the team a favour. It won't happen but most agree it should. Make trades quickly so this doesn't become more of a distraction then it already is.
You should see the situation in Sudbury. The owner's son would appear mediocre playing for the Legionnaires.

Gr8northscout is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 07:56 PM
  #492
the4thHansonbrother
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8northscout View Post
Sounds like you're agreeing with my comment. It happens more than we know.
I don't think the Sting are to blame. Every player does this for their own needs. Trades sometimes take time to take shape.
Yeah, especially when the player you are trying to trade has played top 6 minutes and has 15 points in 72 games. Hargrave is sadly mistaken if he thinks he will get big minutes anywhere else, he has shown not only is he not willing to work for the ice time, but that he will take his ball and go home if he doesn't get it. Good move to pull in your draft year...

the4thHansonbrother is offline  
Old
10-23-2013, 09:14 PM
  #493
bobbygore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 84
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the4thHansonbrother View Post
Yeah, especially when the player you are trying to trade has played top 6 minutes and has 15 points in 72 games. Hargrave is sadly mistaken if he thinks he will get big minutes anywhere else, he has shown not only is he not willing to work for the ice time, but that he will take his ball and go home if he doesn't get it. Good move to pull in your draft year...
I have no idea what the circumstances are here but you've got to wonder how much parent/agent influence comes into play here. The Sting organization is an easy target for disgruntled players because of the team's historical lack of success but Letowski has the reputation around the league as being a player's coach. Unfortunately given the circumstances the Sting are likely to end up on the short end of the stick when it comes to dealing either of these players.

bobbygore is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 07:15 AM
  #494
BoxerMax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
I agree that this will not help for sure and agree move them quickly.Lots of politics. No doubt agents have a lot of say as appears to be the case with Koodola.Hasn't did much in my eyes but getting the ice time.Then you have the bosses son dressing when others were playing better sits out.Dont blame Addessi or his parents for their decision. They see this also along with fans from other teams that comment at the arena.Hargrave a bit different,had a chance but was struggling and too bad if you didnt like the 3rd line.What ever happen to playing the best players regardless who their daddy is or agent.I know,I know ,Jr hockey has turned into big business.Good luck too both players and hope they dont come back and haunt us.
If it was another name on his jersey, everybody would say he is a good 4th line player. Remember, he is still one of the youngest kids on the team. The kid plays hard, never gives up and does everything asked of him EVERY SHIFT. #19 NEVER takes a shift off like most kids. Yes he is an ugly skater, but he still has average speed.

As for Kodola, I am not a huge fan of him either, but he plays like a Russian for the most part other than he doesn't dive. He would be useless on the bottom 2 lines because of his style. He has tremendous vision, and if he could play the way he did against London every game, he would be a top player in the league. I think as his confidence grows, we will start noticing him in a good way allot more. His play making ability is amazing. I believe everything with him right now is just confidence.

BoxerMax is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 08:28 AM
  #495
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
If it was another name on his jersey, everybody would say he is a good 4th line player. Remember, he is still one of the youngest kids on the team. The kid plays hard, never gives up and does everything asked of him EVERY SHIFT. #19 NEVER takes a shift off like most kids. Yes he is an ugly skater, but he still has average speed.

As for Kodola, I am not a huge fan of him either, but he plays like a Russian for the most part other than he doesn't dive. He would be useless on the bottom 2 lines because of his style. He has tremendous vision, and if he could play the way he did against London every game, he would be a top player in the league. I think as his confidence grows, we will start noticing him in a good way allot more. His play making ability is amazing. I believe everything with him right now is just confidence.
Tired of OH(its the name on the back of the sweater).BS. I could care less who's name is on the back of the jersey.It could be Orr,Gretzky,Roy,Shanahan. Who cares. No argument on his work ethics.I agree he works his heart out and does what he can to the best of his ability,BUT he is not a JR A player.We have sent better players home packing or waiting for trades than he is and agents and other players also have noticed. Had 4 London fans and 2 Saginaw in our section who have no idea who his dad is were commenting.I agree that Kodola is lacking confidence and size as he is getting knocked around pretty good out there which makes him apprehensive.Hopefully it will come

massey is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 08:40 AM
  #496
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 568
vCash: 500
Poorly refereed game last night.The boys got frustrated and lost their composure.They got to learn to keep their yaps shut.They had the Soo we they needed in the second period and then the parade to the box began.Hope they learn from this game.Go Sting.

massey is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 11:21 AM
  #497
PacoSanchez15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
Does Hore's match penalty carry an automatic suspension?

Was hard to tell on the video where he caught Tolchinsky with the cross check but the ref didn't hesitate to toss him.

When the Sting got up 3-1 I thought the Hounds might be in trouble.

PacoSanchez15 is offline  
Old
10-24-2013, 11:38 PM
  #498
JSavoire
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx and Stones View Post
This is inaccurate. Every team, when they call a player before the draft asks the following question.....If we draft you, will you report. If the player says no, and they really want them, a sales job begins. In the end, no team will draft a player that says no, unless they are a true talent like Lindros or Gretzky. Do you really believe no one wanted Domi before he was taken by Kingston who had a precooked deal with the Knights? Even if I accept your argument that players will still be selected after declining, I will only agree if they are first rounders, A bad rep hurts you with the second and third round picks. It's very easy to play the NCAA card in the second round and quite frankly a team cannot risk losing second rounders. I stand by my original post...this is not a good situation for the Sting and they need to rectify it ASAP. Moving them quickly will show that it is a destination where icetime must be earned and if it is not working out, then they will help a kid further his career by moving him. How could anyone complain about that? To drag your heels to punish a kid or agent is shortsighted.

Well put! But teams can and DO punish kids/agents for this stuff sometimes by ostracizing them after the trade request, giving their ice time/opportunities to others who appear to wanna stay, etc. This and the issue with retaining kid's scholarships past a year or whatever it is now is probably why a Players Union would've been a good idea. Right now they aren't really paid players, have virtually no rights in a lot of instances and have invested a lot of money and their whole life to try and make it a career.

Remember how many times a change of scenery, coaching, environment, etc. has made huge changes in hockey player's careers.

P.S. For those that don't think the NCAA Card or "I won't report card" isn't used in droves prior to every draft just don't know what's really going on. And yes if Sidney Crosby says that to you well you still draft him, otherwise teams can't afford to lose picks.

JSavoire is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 12:58 PM
  #499
hockeylegend11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,850
vCash: 500
Waived Stiing Dman-RW Mike Dipaulo has signed to play with the Charlottetown Islanders
of the Maritime Junior Hockey League

hockeylegend11 is online now  
Old
10-25-2013, 01:20 PM
  #500
Baldy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Waived Stiing Dman-RW Mike Dipaulo has signed to play with the Charlottetown Islanders
of the Maritime Junior Hockey League
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL). He'll be teammates with ex-Sting Jack Nevins who is the Captain of the team. They are ranked 4th in this weeks CHL rankings. Congrats to Mike.

Baldy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.