*OFFICIAL* Halifax Mooseheads 2013-2014 Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2013, 02:56 AM
Roz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgill View Post
Drouin just doesn't look interested to play with the Moose. I think he is still a bit disgruntled by being snipped by Tampa. I really can't picture him in another Q jersey though. It would be painful.
Well, I don't think you bring up 4 Tampa staffers to work with him if he's handling being cut well. Dom said in the post-game show after the CB game that Drouin spent all summer listening to people talk about him feeding Stamkos and St. Louis, and that being sent back is a huge come-down from that. Dom didn't come out and say it, but he was definitely implying that he was struggling with the adjustment.

There was no question he was mentally absent from the game tonight but most of the team was mentally absent - I mean, Weegar and Ehlers crashed into each other while all by themselves in their own end. I think they were just bagged. Drouin's poor play stood out because he's Drouin, but he didn't play substantially worse than pretty much everyone else in a Moose sweater.

Outward appearances seem fine - there's no sign of any tension with teammates on the ice and he's definitely saying the right things in public. I think the worst thing you could say about him was that he may have thought he was going to come back and just skate around everybody like it was nothing and has to re-learn that the Q is a very tough league to play in.

TB's Director of Player Development talked to John Moore a few days ago about Drouin, and he certainly doesn't sound at all concerned. You can also see him laughing during practice about almost smacking Midgely's head with his stick, so I don't think he's turned into a sulking ball of apathy, lol:

He had a bad game. He's an 18 year old kid who probably got cut for the first time in his life, and he's newly arrived on a team with 10 new faces, some of whom might be a little bit in awe of him. After flying pretty high in Tampa he's back with a billet family and probably back in school. It's a lot to handle.

....it probably also wouldn't hurt to get Ciampini off his line

Old
10-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Roz

Hot on the heels of current discussions, NHL.com has a long-form article about the decisions to retain MacKinnon and return Drouin. The whole thing's worth reading, but here are some choice quotes:

Quote:
"When you deliver the news and give them reasons why they're going back, the player is always quiet and respectful," Yzerman told NHL.com. "I'm not going to share with you anything I told Jonathan, but I can tell you we told him that we wanted him playing a lot. Another year of junior would be good for him, and he's going back to a good program and good team. At the end of the day, it'll all be the best for him."
Quote:
"It's really hard because you've got a lot of different fingers in the pie," NHL Network analyst Barry Melrose told NHL.com. Melrose was coach of the Lightning when they faced a similar stay-or-go dilemma with Steven Stamkos during the 2008-09 season. "The scouts want the young player to stay in the NHL because it makes the scouts look good, so you've got the scouts talking to the GM saying, 'This guy's ready.' The GM would love to see the young kids stay too, because one of the strengths of his job is drafting."
Quote:
"We debated on keeping [Drouin] for nine games that was the harder decision," Yzerman said. "But we determined with the way we're structured right now and with the way our roster is set up, we feel we made the right decision over the long term for our team and especially for Jonathan.

"I'm not going to say it was an easy decision though."

Yzerman didn't want Drouin to be playing limited minutes as a rookie with the Lightning. He preferred to have him in a league where he would play a larger role with significant playing time for the defending Memorial Cup champion.
Quote:
"Playing in the NHL is his dream, and it's what he worked toward for so long, so it was terribly disappointing [for him]," Halifax GM Cam Russell told NHL.com. "He's put up some good numbers since he's been back, but it's still difficult that first week. We've all been through that, but it's tougher for a guy who was picked third overall."

Old
10-21-2013, 12:12 PM
MikeyP

Man where to start. A lot to talk about from this past weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz View Post
Lovell has found another level in the absence of Lewis
I am loving Lovell lately. Putting on the big hits. The look of intensity in his face when the other team's forward is bearing down on him is delightfully terrifying

My son and I are calling him Brian "Level"

Old
10-21-2013, 12:20 PM
MikeyP

Defence

Quote:
Mooseheads just tweeted that Brandon Worthen has been called up on D. 7 assists/24 PIM in 11 games for Newbridge Academy.
Ya, so did anyone else just about have a stroke the first time Jacques and Worthen landed on the D together on a line Friday night?

Last edited by MikeyP: 10-21-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old
10-21-2013, 12:54 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Yeah, pretty much.

Old
10-21-2013, 01:02 PM
MikeyP

Ciampini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Andrews View Post
Watching Luca Ciampini play makes me depressed. He boggles my mind. He should be so good but.... He just is not
I thought he actually had a half-decent game on Friday (?), for the first time in a long while. But ya, the inconsistency and unrealized potential is painful to watch on the ice.

Old
10-21-2013, 01:03 PM
MikeyP

Ehlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahpunk View Post
Had a good time at the game tonight. I told the wife Ehlers and Drouin are going to be money together. Sure enough Ehlers has 2g 2a and a fight for a Gordie. He could of got a Hatrick too but unselfishly passed up the empty netter for Andrews to get the Trick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJQuack View Post
Man, who isn't an Ehlers fan after tonight? Snipe in the 1st was fun to watch... We know we're going to get speed and flash from him, but his effort on the backcheck and ability to play physical is so impressve for what I thought was a "softer" small european. Very impressed, doesn't play small at all. Sticking up for himself in the fight shows he's settling in, good for him.

Teams starting to come together while losing a lot of pieces in the same time as well ... Good win though
Back in tryouts game I was telling people he was one to watch and he has not disappointed.

Ehlers was in beast mode Friday night. 2G, 2A, a fight, and a huge hit on dude that sent him sprawling into the corner. No question he deserved the 1st star. Class act passing away his empty netter hat trick goal.

Old
10-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post
Ya, so did anyone else just about have a stroke the first time Jacques and Worthen landed on the D together on a line Friday night?
I definitely cringed when Weegar got ejected, but to their credit, they held their own that game.

Lewis said on Eastlink that he expects to play out this season but we haven't heard a thing about Lussier. I really wish we had an estimate on when he was coming back.

Old
10-21-2013, 01:05 PM
MikeyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Duke had no strength what so ever, evident by how easily he was pushed around tonight) and the back to back killed them.
I have been on the "Trade Duke" bandwagon since the first game. He has not playing well this year.

Old
10-21-2013, 01:06 PM
MikeyP

Quote:
I definitely cringed when Weegar got ejected, but to their credit, they held their own that game.

Lewis said on Eastlink that he expects to play out this season but we haven't heard a thing about Lussier. I really wish we had an estimate on when he was coming back.
Stupid me, I swore I saw Lussier play some minutes on Saturday. Did I imagine that?

Old
10-21-2013, 01:08 PM
MikeyP

Shewfelt

Quote:
I do love our 4th line though. They are really scrappy and Shewfelt can flat out fly! I'd be tempted to put Meier with Shewfelt and Leblanc seeing as how the Moynihan's haven't done much of anything lately. They have the skill but there's something missing.
Shewfelt came out of nowhere for me.His speed on the charge has been a pleasant surprise. I also like Watt's determination to be first to the puck in the offensive zone.

Old
10-21-2013, 01:10 PM
MikeyP

Drouin

Quote:
Well, I don't think you bring up 4 Tampa staffers to work with him if he's handling being cut well. Dom said in the post-game show after the CB game that Drouin spent all summer listening to people talk about him feeding Stamkos and St. Louis, and that being sent back is a huge come-down from that. Dom didn't come out and say it, but he was definitely implying that he was struggling with the adjustment.

There was no question he was mentally absent from the game tonight but most of the team was mentally absent - I mean, Weegar and Ehlers crashed into each other while all by themselves in their own end. I think they were just bagged. Drouin's poor play stood out because he's Drouin, but he didn't play substantially worse than pretty much everyone else in a Moose sweater.

Outward appearances seem fine - there's no sign of any tension with teammates on the ice and he's definitely saying the right things in public. I think the worst thing you could say about him was that he may have thought he was going to come back and just skate around everybody like it was nothing and has to re-learn that the Q is a very tough league to play in.

TB's Director of Player Development talked to John Moore a few days ago about Drouin, and he certainly doesn't sound at all concerned. You can also see him laughing during practice about almost smacking Midgely's head with his stick, so I don't think he's turned into a sulking ball of apathy, lol:

He had a bad game. He's an 18 year old kid who probably got cut for the first time in his life, and he's newly arrived on a team with 10 new faces, some of whom might be a little bit in awe of him. After flying pretty high in Tampa he's back with a billet family and probably back in school. It's a lot to handle.

....it probably also wouldn't hurt to get Ciampini off his line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgill View Post
Drouin just doesn't look interested to play with the Moose. I think he is still a bit disgruntled by being snipped by Tampa. I really can't picture him in another Q jersey though. It would be painful.
Suffice to say on Friday he looked like he would rather be just about anywhere else, and perhaps it was the injury but he certainly did not do himself any favors with his play over the weekend IMO.

I am hopeful though things will turn around. When you see how much potential this team has even without all the big guns from last year, it makes me excited.

Old
10-21-2013, 01:15 PM
MikeyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
Hey guys,

I write for a Danish hockey site.

I would really appreciate a short right up on Ehlers after the game

Also, are highlights available on these games? Never seem able to find them from the Q.

Kind regards
See above. He was a force in Friday's game. 2G 2A a fight and a couple of big hits.

Old
10-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Roz

Quote:
Stupid me, I swore I saw Lussier play some minutes on Saturday. Did I imagine that?
I guess so! He didn't dress.

Quote:
Shewfelt came out of nowhere for me.His speed on the charge has been a pleasant surprise. I also like Watt's determination to be first to the puck in the offensive zone.
Yeah, Shewfelt has definitely found a higher gear, and it looks like Alcalde is going to be the one who suffers for it.

Quote:
I am hopeful though things will turn around. When you see how much potential this team has even without all the big guns from last year, it makes me excited.
I think Jo will be back to his old self soon. I'm sure he's heard the criticism of his play over the weekend and I have no doubt he'll want to prove people wrong. I really love what a lunch-pail team this is. When they're on, they're a lot of fun to watch. I think the Armada game really showed what this team is capable of. Even though they lost, they worked their tails off and looked pretty darn sharp until the last two minutes of the game.

They've had a rough few days but I think they'll get over this hump. They've shown that they're a pretty resilient bunch, which will bode well for them later on in the season.

Old
10-21-2013, 01:34 PM
MikeyP

Quote:
I guess so! He didn't dress.
OK, I am insane... carry on

Old
10-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Roz

Ehlers it the Q 3rd star of the week!

Quote:
Nikolaj Ehlers, the Halifax Mooseheads forward, is the third star of the week. The rookie player eligible for the 2014 NHL Draft got 7 points this week all while maintaining a +/- of +7 in Mooseheads home games. He was selected first star in a 5-2 win against the Val-d’Or Foreurs with a tally of 4 points, 2 goals and 2 assists. He collected another 3 points against the Cap Breton Screaming Eagles in a 7-3 win. Ehlers now has 17 points (8 goals and 9 assists) in 16 games this season and is ranked first among rookies.

Old
10-22-2013, 08:49 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Awesome. Early draft rankings that I saw had him outside of the first round but I have a feeling he's going to change opinions pretty quickly.

Old
10-22-2013, 12:52 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Awesome. Early draft rankings that I saw had him outside of the first round but I have a feeling he's going to change opinions pretty quickly.
I have seen quite a few now, that have him as atleast a late 1st rounder.

And also alot have him as an HM. And I have seen A LOT of affiliation subforums talking about him as a 1st rounder theyd' like to get.

Ofcourse, those are not official, but Hf counts' in its' own way, right?

Old
10-23-2013, 05:07 PM
Roz

Lussier is still out. Watt and Alcalde the other healthy scratches tonight. I guess Shewfelt has pretty much stolen Alcalde's place in the lineup.

I'm appreciating the Islanders/Mooseheads twitter chirping, lol. I hope we see more this between teams this season. It's fun.

Old
10-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Roz

Solid win against a nationally ranked team. Dominant puck possession, Drouin maybe starting to get his mojo back, perfect on the PK against the top PP team in the league ...3 points for Austyn Hardie?! and Darcy Ashley is having himself a helluva start to the year.

Only downside was the powerplay. 1 for 9 is pretty brutal, lol.

Last edited by Roz: 10-23-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old
10-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Libbs

Full marks for that win tonight. We pretty much took it to them for a large majority of the game.

The PP was down right disgusting tonight... you wont score by passing it along the perimeter with no one in front of the net. Also the solo rushes (Weegar) into the zone isn't a very effective way to set up the PP.

Speaking of Weegar, he must be injured. He was really timid about shooting the puck, and when he tried he whiffed on it. We can't afford to lose him to injury.

Old
10-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Roz

I was only listening to the radio call - how did Drouin look without the puck?

Old
10-23-2013, 09:33 PM
Libbs

Quote:
I was only listening to the radio call - how did Drouin look without the puck?
Lazy and disinterested.

Old
10-23-2013, 09:37 PM
Roz

Quote:
Lazy and disinterested.
Brutal. He looked disinterested on Saturday too but so did most of the team and I chalked it up to him being sick. I wonder what it's going to take to get him going. WJC?

Old
10-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Brutal. He looked disinterested on Saturday too but so did most of the team and I chalked it up to him being sick. I wonder what it's going to take to get him going. WJC?
Time. He's not the first high draft pick returned to junior and won't be the last. When have you ever know a teenager to take major disappointments well?

He'll get over it eventually. He's too good not to.

Closed Thread