HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Around the League: Torts Goes Hulk Mode

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2013, 02:12 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
I hate the working hard (compete) argument. Oilers forwards work just as hard but they simply are terrible at protecting the puck and/or make idiotic passes through sticks or to nobody.

Avs forwards are similar to the Flames forward but with more skill. Watch the opposition try to take the puck away from Lando... They can't. Old Smyth used to be like that...
I'll agree - the effort is certainly there. The size and strength simply is not. That's why our forwards spend more time flailing on the ice than any other team - these guys are trying their hearts out, often sustaining injury, to protect the puck. They're just simply boys against men.

Without gritty top-9 players that can play the boards/puck-protection/puck-retrieval game that we've assigned our gluttony of skill players to do - these guys are just going to fail over and over again.

Old
10-22-2013, 07:59 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
There's a difference between positioning yourself to become a playoff team and a contender, though. And I see some problems for them heading into the future. I see no good young defensemen coming up in their system (Brodie was a great pick, but I don't see anyone else), nor do I see a steady goaltender (as good as McDonald and Ramo have played thus far, they are very inconsistent).
The Flames don't have a #1 d-man in their system but you're fooling yourself if you don't think they have some solid prospects besides Brodie. Sieloff, Wotherspoon, Ramage, Cundari and Breen are all on the cusp of playing the NHL and they have a few other solid prospects in Kulak, Culkin, Roy & Kanzig.

As for goalies, Jon Gillies, Laurent Brossoit & Joni Ortio are solid prospects and I'd be very surprised if Gillies isn't a bonafide #1 in the NHL someday. Nevermind the fact that Ramo and Berra are still getting their feet wet in NA and both have looked solid by all accounts. The Flames goaltending future looks very bright.

They've drafted extremely well the last 3 seasons and it's starting to show. They have solid depth with a mix of size, talent & grit for forwards. Monahan, Baertschi, Gaudreau, Klimchuk, Jankowski, Poirier, Granlund, Knight, Ferland, Horak, Reinhart, Agostino, Hanowski etc...

That's why the Flames rebuild will go much quicker than Edmonton's if Calgary gets a couple more high picks. They already have SO MUCH more than Edmonton had when they started they're rebuild.

The BOA is going to be alive and strong again within the next 4-5 years IMO.

Last edited by HellsBells: 10-22-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old
10-22-2013, 09:17 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Mike Johnson essentially blaming Taylor Hall for getting himself injured on Saturday night. This man literally has nothing of substance, ever, to add to any sort of intelligent debate or discussion, I could care less if he was a pro for however long. He's either completely wrong on a fairly regular basis or just states things that are already obvious.
I never had much against Johnson, but if he is saying that what the hell?

How was that Hall's fault?

Old
10-22-2013, 09:28 AM
joestevens29

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 3m
EDM has their best Fenwick Close since the stat has been tracked but due to the great start by the Pacific, are last in their division.

Old
10-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Isles lost Lubo to a concussion?
Somebody posted JT's stats with Lubo and without him ... ugggggggggggly

Old
10-22-2013, 12:48 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Isles lost Lubo to a concussion?
Somebody posted JT's stats with Lubo and without him ... ugggggggggggly
I read yesterday he went on the IR, but didn't know for what. Hopefully it's not major, at his age it could end his career if it's major.

Old
10-22-2013, 10:30 PM
BlueChip01

I'm watching this CGY-PHO game. I'm jealous of how well Phoenix plays positionally. They are just perfect right now. Outshooting CGY like 18-5 with the 2nd almost over and up 2-0.

Old
10-23-2013, 02:28 AM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsBells View Post
The Flames don't have a #1 d-man in their system but you're fooling yourself if you don't think they have some solid prospects besides Brodie. Sieloff, Wotherspoon, Ramage, Cundari and Breen are all on the cusp of playing the NHL and they have a few other solid prospects in Kulak, Culkin, Roy & Kanzig.

As for goalies, Jon Gillies, Laurent Brossoit & Joni Ortio are solid prospects and I'd be very surprised if Gillies isn't a bonafide #1 in the NHL someday. Nevermind the fact that Ramo and Berra are still getting their feet wet in NA and both have looked solid by all accounts. The Flames goaltending future looks very bright.

They've drafted extremely well the last 3 seasons and it's starting to show. They have solid depth with a mix of size, talent & grit for forwards. Monahan, Baertschi, Gaudreau, Klimchuk, Jankowski, Poirier, Granlund, Knight, Ferland, Horak, Reinhart, Agostino, Hanowski etc...

That's why the Flames rebuild will go much quicker than Edmonton's if Calgary gets a couple more high picks. They already have SO MUCH more than Edmonton had when they started they're rebuild.

The BOA is going to be alive and strong again within the next 4-5 years IMO.
It's pretty naive to assume even a few of those prospects will develop into effective NHLers.

After the 2010 draft, the Oilers had Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi, Pitlick, Hamilton, Marincin, Lander, Petry, Chorney, Hartikainen, Martindale, Omark, Bunz, Roy, etc. All were considered good prospects and had impressive junior/pre-NHL careers.

Things change, prospects bust.

Old
10-23-2013, 09:19 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
I'm watching this CGY-PHO game. I'm jealous of how well Phoenix plays positionally. They are just perfect right now. Outshooting CGY like 18-5 with the 2nd almost over and up 2-0.
CGY played the night before in LA and I don't think they are as good as some think. With Gio out they are lucky that they only let 4 in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
It's pretty naive to assume even a few of those prospects will develop into effective NHLers.

After the 2010 draft, the Oilers had Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi, Pitlick, Hamilton, Marincin, Lander, Petry, Chorney, Hartikainen, Martindale, Omark, Bunz, Roy, etc. All were considered good prospects and had impressive junior/pre-NHL careers.

Things change, prospects bust.
Thanks for reminding me

Old
10-23-2013, 09:25 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 999
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
If we do trade for a goalie, I REALLY hope it's not Hiller. His game/style is identical to Dubnyk's. Drop to the knees on every shot. Makes himself look smaller than he should. Pretty poor lateral movement. I don't see him as a clear upgrade at all. I have no idea what his stats are the last few years, but I know by watching him that he is no saviour in net for this team (IMO).

Old
10-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Flames are officially keeping Monahan in the NHL.
So, how long until we hear from Flames fans that he's not being rushed because he's way better than Hall/Nuge/Yak?

Old
10-23-2013, 04:14 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
What did you guys think of the refs breaking up the fight as soon as the players took their helmets off?

**referring to Gadzic and Moen

I think it's a half-measure.

Old
10-23-2013, 05:04 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
What did you guys think of the refs breaking up the fight as soon as the players took their helmets off?

**referring to Gadzic and Moen

I think it's a half-measure.
Apparently they are suppose to if they see the chance to do so cleanly. I think yesterday's was done correctly, my only concern is when one of the linesman gets clocked trying to break it up.

Eilliot posted a link that led to tweets about how the NFL might go to a system that makes players sign waivers not to sue for playing a viscous sport. Apparently one NHL owners want to make players sign the same for fighting.

Here is the article that started it. What I got out of it is players want to play rough and tough now, but in 20 years from now some regret it.
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/23/richar...ns-in-the-nfl/

Old
10-23-2013, 07:07 PM
awesomo
HARD!

detroit sucks

Old
10-23-2013, 08:13 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Is it safe to say the Sabres have last place locked up?

I don't think the Flyers will stay in last very long.

Old
10-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Lacaar

Wow what an odd game for Detroit to carp the bed on.

Old
10-23-2013, 09:36 PM
voxel

Brutal game by the Wings. Too many kids on the ice? Over the hills vets (except for Z and Dats)?

Old
10-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Is it safe to say the Sabres have last place locked up?

I don't think the Flyers will stay in last very long.
Yeah, the only way the Sabres lose the 1st overall is by losing the lottery. That is an bad bad team.

And they still have to trade Vanek and/or Miller.

10-24-2013, 12:05 AM
Shanahanigans

John Scott is such a POS. Literally does nothing but target other team's star players. Tried to go after Kessel in preseason and now knocks out Loui Eriksson with a hit to the head.

Last edited by Shanahanigans: 10-24-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old
10-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Hockey Nightmare
Welcome to Edmonton

deleted

Last edited by Hockey Nightmare: 10-24-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old
10-24-2013, 01:32 AM
s7ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
John Scott is such a POS. Literally does nothing but target other team's star players. Tried to go after Kessel in preseason and now knocks out Loui Eriksson with a hit to the head.
I hope the league throws the book at him. He's just a thug out there. It's a better sport without him in it.

Old
10-24-2013, 01:43 AM
Mint
U mad?

vCash: 142
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=688217

It's a conspiracy theory guys!

I can't believe a team is feeding this propaganda to their fans by the means of social media.

Old
10-24-2013, 04:09 AM
N5991989
Sad Oilers Fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep View Post
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=688217

It's a conspiracy theory guys!

I can't believe a team is feeding this propaganda to their fans by the means of social media.
That hurts my head how can he be so delusional?

Old
10-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Haggard

vCash: 585
The "fan" replies to that article are worse than the article itself. What a bunch of whiners.

Old
10-24-2013, 09:12 AM
joestevens29

I will say this about Scott, he like Boogard makes players think twice. Something our goons have never done. It's an unfortunate situation, but teams will play Buffalo differently when Scott is dressed.

Closed Thread