HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

shooting with the wrong hand

Old
10-22-2013, 06:47 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

vCash: 500
American, so it may have something to do with it.

Writing: Right
Throw: Right
Bat: Switch
Hockey: Right
Guitar: Right

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Bure All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
One of my 5 year old sons writes and throws with his right arm but shoots and bats lefty. I am still not sure this is really the way I want him to develop (he's only starting hockey and has a weak shot regardless).

Why does it work for opposite-handed people in hockey if their stronger arm/hand is at the top, rather than the bottom (mid-shaft) where they can flex the stick harder?

One of the biggest examples of this is Ovechkin who writes and throws lefty, yet he has a hard wrister as a righty (I know flex and blade curve help). And I bet majority of left-shooting players in the NHL are right-hand dominant. You'd think, just because it feels more natural doesn't mean it is their optimal shot. Maybe it is good for stick handling since that is top-hand driven?
huge advantage being a lefty in baseball, most pitchers throw right handed, so he's better off right there, plus he's like 2 feet closer to first base, which in the long run will help his avg.

in hockey it doesn't really matter as much, a lot of people i know shoot left despite being right hand dominant for most other things, don't see it affecting anything really

Bure All Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Bure All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
American, so it may have something to do with it.

Writing: Right
Throw: Right
Bat: Switch
Hockey: Right
Guitar: Right
guitar right? does that mean you strum with your right or pick with your right hand

Old
10-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Ozz

I'm a righty for everything. Shoot, throw, guitar (pick), hold goalie stick, write, etc.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Terry Yake

i'm all screwed up when it comes to handedness

writing: left hand
hockey: left hand
baseball: left hand
throwing: right hand
shooting a basketball: right hand

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 04:57 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure All Day View Post
guitar right? does that mean you strum with your right or pick with your right hand
Same thing. Left hand fretting, right hand strumming/picking.

I forgot to mention that I can shoot trap and archery both ways, and though I'm not a golfer, my left handed swing is much purer. The same goes for my baseball swing. More power in the right, while a much smoother with the left.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 11:41 PM
Bure All Day

Quote:

I forgot to mention that I can shoot trap and archery both ways, and though I'm not a golfer, my left handed swing is much purer. The same goes for my baseball swing. More power in the right, while a much smoother with the left.
You have a very bizarre combination of skills lol...

I think your swing in smoother with your off-hand because you have to compensate for lack of power, same with me swinging left vs. right

Old
10-24-2013, 03:33 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:

Damn you're like my boy who is ambidextrous.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 08:00 AM
smcgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycpunk1 View Post
More RH sticks are sold in the US, more LH sticks in Canada, as someone has already pointed out. But as far as I know, there is not a significant difference between the countries among NHL players.

One possible explanation for this disappearing difference is that all of those "extra" RH shots in the US are latecomers who shoot RH due to playing other sports first. Another explanation might be that the LH shots who are righthanded have an absolute edge over their RH-shooting counterparts that corrects the imbalance in the US naturally.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about shortchanging your kid.
If I read your latter interpretation correctly, then he would be shortchanging his kid and it would be something to worry about. I am from the Great White North, am RH and shoot LH. When I grew up, everybody I knew did it that way. I haven't lived in Canada in 20 yrs, so, I don't know if it's like that anymore, but 40 yr ago, when I was learning, that's the way it was. In the states, you often have a hard time finding LH shooting sticks. There are many more RH sticks and many more RH shooters. My interpretation of this has always been that, as others have mentioned, in the states there are more late comers to the sport and they feel they should shoot RH if RH, probably from experience in other sports. Since it's universally accepted that control while stickhandling comes from the top hand though, it makes more sense to have young learners use a LH stick if right handed and vice versa. Just because a kid grabs a stick a certain way with no inkling of how to use it, I'm not sure it's in their best interest to pick their stick that way. A little bit of direction goes a long way at an early age. Since a 4 or 5 yr old isn't thinking about how to dangle, they might not make the best long term choice. It's not "over thinking it" if you're just thinking about it.

Now the counter argument could be all the examples of RH that shoot RH and LH that shoot LH in the NHL, or on this board, but the simple fact that control comes from the top hand on the stick indicates a bit of direction in that regard isn't going to hurt in the long run and might actually help. Once the kid has been playing for a year, the decision has probably been cemented.

I have a son who is a Mite and has been playing for 4 or 5 yr. I don't recall the specifics when we were going through this process, but I do recall that I did correct him from trying to use the stick as a RH since he is RH. That was my experience. It was only on a couple occasions and that was enough. I have a daughter who is 5 and we've been going through the same thing to a certain extent. We're not sure if she'll play hockey (she's a figure skater right now), but when we're playing in the driveway, I have her shoot LH when she tries to play RH. If she goes into hockey, she'll be pretty good, so, I think a bit of direction as she's learning to use a stick is fine.

my $.02

smcgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 09:24 AM
sanityplease

Question for all of those RH who shoot RH. How would you play goalie?

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 09:29 AM
redbranch

glove left, blocker/stick right.
feels more natural to me because of baseball

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm right hand and right eye dominant.

I throw balls left handed but throw darts and frisbee right handed. I bat left handed, play golf left handed, and play hockey left handed. All musical instruments I play right handed (I'm a much better musician than an athlete). Let me re-iterate I'm terrible at pretty much all sports except hockey and golf (and I'm not great at those, just not terrible).

If I were to play goalie, it would be glove in left hand.

Honestly maybe I should have learned to throw with my right hand. My left arm feels more powerful but that's because it's bigger from many years of drumming (left arm hits the snare, right arm keeps time more with the hats/ride).

When I bowl, and I'm terrible at bowling, I'll switch hands. Again, the left side feels stronger and the right side feels more accurate.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 10:27 AM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbranch View Post
glove left, blocker/stick right.
feels more natural to me because of baseball
same. I catch a baseball with my left hand.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
Question for all of those RH who shoot RH. How would you play goalie?
Glove left, stick right. Glove left for baseball too.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Dustin Peener

vCash: 2085
Goalies pretty much disprove the entire theory, almost every goalie (natural goalies who didn't switch from player to goalie) I know who catches left shoots with a RH stick when they aren't in goal. It doesn't make sense at all because goalies use a LH curve, and you would think they would want a LH stick because when defending with one hand on stick you hold it in your right hand, the hand goalies hold their stick

Dustin Peener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 04:27 PM
pix530

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo10 View Post
How do you figure that shooting right-handed is an advantage? I'm pretty sure the most prolific goal scorer of all time would disagree.
- Just ask any goalie if you cant figure it out )
- Basically goalies are used to play against left-handed players, which represents most of the players style. So its not a huge deal, but helps.

pix530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 06:06 PM
rh71

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo10 View Post
How do you figure that shooting right-handed is an advantage? I'm pretty sure the most prolific goal scorer of all time would disagree.
Wait, are you talking about Hull, Selanne, or Ovechkin? Or Gordie Howe? (actually plays both ways)

Joking aside, I think shooting blocker side is better and so lefties have an advantage most times.

Last edited by rh71: 10-25-2013 at 06:15 PM.
rh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 06:08 PM
rh71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
i'm all screwed up when it comes to handedness

writing: left hand
hockey: left hand
baseball: left hand
throwing: right hand
shooting a basketball: right hand
Terry Yake shot righty as I recall! (Caps fan).

rh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Dustin Peener

vCash: 2085
Quote:
Originally Posted by pix530 View Post
- Just ask any goalie if you cant figure it out )
- Basically goalies are used to play against left-handed players, which represents most of the players style. So its not a huge deal, but helps.
Goalies take no notice of what handedness the player is, it doesn't make a difference at all.

Dustin Peener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 06:30 PM
ggro

I've just started getting involved in beginner's hockey, and have been wondering about this very question.

I'm right handed and I bought myself a left-handed stick, because that's the conventional wisdom. But if you gave me the broom test, I'd put my left hand on top of the handle and my right hand on the bottom; holding a righty stick feels more 'natural' to me. Then again, how is a complete beginner supposed to know what feels natural when it comes to hockey?

ggro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 07:42 PM
boo10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Wait, are you talking about Hull, Selanne, or Ovechkin? Or Gordie Howe? (actually plays both ways)

Joking aside, I think shooting blocker side is better and so lefties have an advantage most times.
I was actually thinking Orr, Bure, Mogilny, Esposito, Robitaille and oh yeah, that other guy. I think he is from Brantford or something.

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:04 PM
19Backstrom
Pray 4 Octopi

vCash: 557
In hockey, handedness really doesn't matter much, but I find lefties have a slight advantage over righties, because when they skate on their natural wing (left wing) and they try to shoot short side high, they face the goalie on the blocker side, since most goalies catch with their left hands.
I'm a right handed shot, though i can also shoot with the left (a simple, weak and inaccurate wrist shot).
I hold my stick the wrong way, since my right hand is my dominant hand.

19Backstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

Some other things to try for those who aren't sure:

- Go to your LHS and see if you can try out some sticks. There's a Monkey Sports in SoCal, for instance, that has a shooting room off to one side where you can just go in and try out pretty much any stick they have available.
- Call up any places you can go to for stick time or rent out. They may have loaners you can try out.
- Get some really old beater/clearance sticks from your LHS/eBay/Craigslist/whatever and just try them out. Then buy something better once you know what feels comfortable.
- Ask a hockey-playing friend to let you try out their stick.

You have a lot of options here that will save you dropping $$$ on a stick only to find you don't really like using it on the side you picked.

Sureshotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:25 PM
boo10

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I can say with 100% confidence that shooting left or right has absolutely no advantage over the other. A goalie who is playing his or her position properly will play their angle based on the position of the puck, not the shooter's body.

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote