HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread

View Poll Results: How much do you follow our minor league teams?
I regularly go to games and/or subscribe to AHL Live 12 9.16%
I go to a couple of games a year 9 6.87%
I follow the Wolf Pack by regularly reading about it 57 43.51%
I occasionally check stats, but don't follow Hartford regularly 46 35.11%
What's a Wolf Pack? Are they zoo animals? Why would I follow the minors? 7 5.34%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
I agree with the Pizza, still early for MCI, a full season with some call ups would be fine. Staying healthy is the key. He has all the physical tools but the decision making and reaction time in the A is no match for what keeps talented Dmen from playing minutes at the highest level.

Aaron Johnson has provided him with some stability, he had to do too much last year and that exposed him, maybe unfairly at times. Either way it was a good move to bring in someone like that. Arniel coached Johnson in the past, good all around dman for an Ahl squad.

Fighting is not that big a deal until he establishes himself with the big club. When/If he puts it together enough to play solid minutes they will come to him, it should not be the other way around. Thats what the goons do, and he has the chance to be way more than that.

Old
10-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I agree with the Pizza, still early for MCI, a full season with some call ups would be fine. Staying healthy is the key. He has all the physical tools but the decision making and reaction time in the A is no match for what keeps talented Dmen from playing minutes at the highest level.

Aaron Johnson has provided him with some stability, he had to do too much last year and that exposed him, maybe unfairly at times. Either way it was a good move to bring in someone like that. Arniel coached Johnson in the past, good all around dman for an Ahl squad.

Fighting is not that big a deal until he establishes himself with the big club. When/If he puts it together enough to play solid minutes they will come to him, it should not be the other way around. Thats what the goons do, and he has the chance to be way more than that.
Gotta agree with all of these, great post.

Old
10-24-2013, 01:54 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Gordie Clark said back in June that the Rangers wanted McIlrath to play major minutes in the AHL and they would reevaluate his situation after Christmas. Who knows where the Rangers will be at that time and what the team will look like if the team doesn't start winning games ASAP.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:01 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Gordie Clark said back in June that the Rangers wanted McIlrath to play major minutes in the AHL and they would reevaluate his situation after Christmas. Who knows where the Rangers will be at that time and what the team will look like if the team doesn't start winning games ASAP.
This isn't something new really. The Rangers have him on the same plan they had McDonagh on. 3.5 years after his draft year, except McIlrath missed half a year with that knee injury so maybe he takes the full season. Not a big deal.

It should also be noted that McDonagh had 8 points in 38 games in his stint in the AHL. McIlrath has 5 in 8 so far I believe. Not saying he is going to be an offensive dynamo but he is progressing nicely.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:05 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
McIlrath has 4 points in 7 games this year after posting 5 in 45 last year. His line for his AHL career: 54 games, 2 goals, 7 assists, 9 points, +9 with 181 PIM.

It's just pain.
Old
10-24-2013, 02:08 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugless View Post
McIlrath vs. Lessio:

Hahaha, man alive. Poor Lessio.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:10 PM
NYR Viper

It's odd isn't it? The patience they show with a player who can change the dynamic of the team in McIlrath and then they 'rush' players like Miller and Fast to the NHL?

Old
10-24-2013, 02:17 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
It's odd isn't it? The patience they show with a player who can change the dynamic of the team in McIlrath and then they 'rush' players like Miller and Fast to the NHL?
not really. miller and fasth are forwards, which is much easier to transition to the nhl than a defenseman. weve also had about 6 forwards injured this year.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:23 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
not really. miller and fasth are forwards, which is much easier to transition to the nhl than a defenseman. weve also had about 6 forwards injured this year.
I get all of that, just seems like the organization should have a set thought process on their prospects. Maybe it's patience with the defense and who cares about the forwards? Patience with the defense would make some sense considering they have been drafting/signing some projects or players who need more time to develop ala McIlrath, Noreau, Graves, Donnay.

I still love the Allen signing.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Raspewtin
Adderall Admiral

vCash: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
In terms of fighting, the AHL is just as good as the NHL. The difference is the fighters in the NHL have a semblance of talent.
I disagree. A lot of really nasty goons are in the AHL because they're so big yet immobile that they are useless at NHL level. Some examples would be players like Brett Gallant and Steve MacIntyre. The AHL has many tougher fighters, but obviously is a much easier league to play in. McIlrath is facing nastier competition down there, in my opinion.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:34 PM
TheRightWay

Quote:
I get all of that, just seems like the organization should have a set thought process on their prospects. Maybe it's patience with the defense and who cares about the forwards? Patience with the defense would make some sense considering they have been drafting/signing some projects or players who need more time to develop ala McIlrath, Noreau, Graves, Donnay.

I still love the Allen signing.

Look around the NHL. Teams tend to promote forwards faster than defensemen and goaltenders. Why? Because forwards develop quicker than defensemen and goaltenders. Guys like Seth Jones and Marc Staal are the exception to the rule.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:19 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

videos of mcilrath fighting in the ahl does absolutely nothing for me.

the bar has been so lowered for dylan its really kinda sad. guys that do what he does can be found in free agency and other than the 10th pick of the entire draft.

what were hoping he becomes ( eventually) is a guy who can hold his own defensively, fight- meaning hell be in the box for 5 minutes and possibly hurt his hand or whatever being an "enforcer", and be that "crease presence" we have needed on this team for so long. all things we can certainly use.

sounds great but there are guys playing in this league right now that were drafted after him. whens this kid gonna help us out ? his timetable seems more crap shoot then development. more potential than reality.

were he on the ny rangers now, today, would he be helping us right now playing the game i just described above ?? um, no. not really. we need help scoring goals. hes was the highest player weve drafted in years and we took a slow developing, defensive dman.... ugh.

guys like him may help teams be better but they dont make teams better. hes a complimentary part not a key cog. unfortunately, he will do his best work not moving his feet or parked in front and pounding someones face. hes a very nice prospect who brings an element we need. im certain hell play eventually but will he be a difference maker ? i have my doubts.

hes just an ok skater and hes still aways away when it comes to his defensive intuitiveness. a guy like nik zadarov comes to mind as a similar player. same size, good fighter but zadorov CAN SKATE !! oh, and hes playing in the nhl now.

vlad tarasenko would have helped us MORE and RIGHT NOW. dude is a goal scorer. a creater. a sniper, finisher..... sounds nice doesnt it. we have anyone like that ?

im waiting...... ???

again, it aint who you draft, its who you draft when and where you draft em....

Old
10-25-2013, 08:30 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Thank you for the new and refreshing analysis.

There's analysis of McIlrath all over this thread, yet you choose to focus on the posted videos of him fighting? Sorry that there aren't videos on YouTube highlighting his gap control, edge work and positioning.

Yes, yes--Tarasenko is good. Congratulations, you've made the same ****ing point for the billionth time. NO ONE DISAGREES WITH YOU. Get over it.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:31 AM
dccuse

ODC - i disagree - seems like AHL guys are coming after Dylan to use him as a measuring stick for their own toughness. Sort of like, "hey, if i can beat up Mcilrath then maybe my NHL team will want me up."

What's been happening is that Mcilrath is quickly dispatching these guys. Its not his M.O. to start fights but he's great at ending them.

Someone said it best in this room yesterday, come his time in the NHL, there won't be these "tough guys" trying to make a name for themselves. That'll let Dylan focus on being the d-man we need, want and forecasted him to be. As of now, from watching a bit and reading the reports, it seems he's becoming more engaged. If he's a mobile, tough, 2nd pairing defenseman that scares people away from the net you wont complain. Hes the guy who will keep tarasenko at the top of the circles rather than sniping down low and youll be happy.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:34 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
lol. well atleast im consistent.

im hoping he will do something for us eventually, but really not liking that pick any more today thats for sure.

we stink and he aint gonna help us get all that much better anytime soon.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

There's analysis of McIlrath all over this thread, yet you choose to focus on the posted videos of him fighting? Sorry that there aren't videos on YouTube highlighting his gap control, edge work and positioning.

Yes, yes--Tarasenko is good. Congratulations, you've made the same ****ing point for the billionth time. NO ONE DISAGREES WITH YOU. Get over it.
Amen.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:38 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
lol. well atleast im consistent.

im hoping he will do something for us eventually, but really not liking that pick any more today thats for sure.

we stink and he aint gonna help us get all that much better anytime soon.
Why can you not separate his personal development from where we chose to draft him? He's developing well. His game has improved significantly in every aspect since draft day, and he's on track to become a contributor within the next year or so.

Was he the right pick there? I didn't think so. It's irrelevant to this thread, though. Here, we discuss his performance and his development, rather than whining that we didn't draft someone else.

Can you discuss McIlrath without mentioning or alluding to Tarasenko? Because I'm pretty sure Tarasenko doesn't play for the Wolf Pack or Road Warriors, which means he has no place being discussed here. I mean, it's comical at this point how you're unable to let this go.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:47 AM
E-Train

Quote:

Thank you.

Old
10-25-2013, 09:03 AM
JohnC
Dubnyk=Lundqvist

Slow clap for 2k2

Old
10-25-2013, 09:09 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
videos of mcilrath fighting in the ahl does absolutely nothing for me.

the bar has been so lowered for dylan its really kinda sad. guys that do what he does can be found in free agency and other than the 10th pick of the entire draft.

POINT 1 - what were hoping he becomes ( eventually) is a guy who can hold his own defensively, fight- meaning hell be in the box for 5 minutes and possibly hurt his hand or whatever being an "enforcer", and be that "crease presence" we have needed on this team for so long. all things we can certainly use.

sounds great but there are guys playing in this league right now that were drafted after him. whens this kid gonna help us out ? his timetable seems more crap shoot then development. more potential than reality.

were he on the ny rangers now, today, would he be helping us right now playing the game i just described above ?? um, no. not really. we need help scoring goals. hes was the highest player weve drafted in years and we took a slow developing, defensive dman.... ugh.

guys like him may help teams be better but they dont make teams better. hes a complimentary part not a key cog. unfortunately, he will do his best work not moving his feet or parked in front and pounding someones face. hes a very nice prospect who brings an element we need. im certain hell play eventually but will he be a difference maker ? i have my doubts.

hes just an ok skater and hes still aways away when it comes to his defensive intuitiveness. a guy like nik zadarov comes to mind as a similar player. same size, good fighter but zadorov CAN SKATE !! oh, and hes playing in the nhl now.

Point 2 - vlad tarasenko would have helped us MORE and RIGHT NOW. dude is a goal scorer. a creater. a sniper, finisher..... sounds nice doesnt it. we have anyone like that ?

im waiting...... ???

again, it aint who you draft, its who you draft when and where you draft em....
Point 1 - Who is hoping that?

Point 2 - Forwards make it faster than Defensemen?

Old
10-25-2013, 09:11 AM
NYR Viper

Moving back on topic:

Kristo has been, seemingly, terrorizing other teams in the offensive zone. I am hopfuly he can continue his current pace, that would put him at ~ppg territory. I believe Anisimov was the last true prospect to do something like that?

Old
10-25-2013, 09:12 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
I disagree. A lot of really nasty goons are in the AHL because they're so big yet immobile that they are useless at NHL level. Some examples would be players like Brett Gallant and Steve MacIntyre. The AHL has many tougher fighters, but obviously is a much easier league to play in. McIlrath is facing nastier competition down there, in my opinion.
You just agreed with what I saw saying...

Old
10-25-2013, 09:13 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Moving back on topic:

Kristo has been, seemingly, terrorizing other teams in the offensive zone. I am hopfuly he can continue his current pace, that would put him at ~ppg territory. I believe Anisimov was the last true prospect to do something like that?
Yes and yes. And he also has gotten better about playing within a team concept as opposed to trying to do it all himself every time.

But, from my viewing, he also continues to make at least one or two really bad (I'm talking Richards/MDZ level) giveaways per game. I'd really like him to get a handle on that aspect of his game and then he'll be ready for the show.

Old
10-25-2013, 09:24 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Yes and yes. And he also has gotten better about playing within a team concept as opposed to trying to do it all himself every time.

But, from my viewing, he also continues to make at least one or two really bad (I'm talking Richards/MDZ level) giveaways per game. I'd really like him to get a handle on that aspect of his game and then he'll be ready for the show.
Sometimes you have to allow the skill players some room for error. Giveaways are okay if they are in the correct areas of the ice. Brassard has quite a few even when he is playing very well because he tries to create. This team lacks that.

Not disagreeing with that he needs to get better at it, just a more general comment.

I was really hoping for a better start from Yogan, not going to lie...

Old
10-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I think Kristo can be Ales Hemsky-lite if he can learn to make better decisions with the puck. He has to be better about picking his spots. Supremely talented though.

Haven't caught many Pack games as of late, but Lindberg seems to be a bit quiet. What's the deal there?

Closed Thread