HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... The Sequel!!

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Every season is a completely different stand alone story. Possibly even different direction/group of writers.
Even so, I wouldn't get to season 2.

I ditched Prison Break like my first girlfriend the second it got stupid.

Old
10-24-2013, 04:56 PM
Avengers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I agree that Fast 5 was the better movie.. this one I didn't like. The actors turned in lame performances and it's like all the chemistry from the previous movies is gone, and it's getting tedious. Please stop doing F&F movies Hollywood, first movie was great and had a good premise then it went to ****, esp when Luda bought his way into a cars movie. Also Michelle Rodriguez isn't so hot anymore... not Resident Evil hot anyway.
They love you so much that the 7th movie is filming right now and comes out next summer

Old
10-24-2013, 04:57 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I have to admire a person who thinks season 1 is awful but has the patience and stamina to get to season 3.
hahaha, I was thinking the same thing.

"Season 1 I wanted to gauge my eyes out, 2nd season was kind of pretty okay, 3rd season's starting out pretty garbage. TOTALLY WORTH CHECKING OUT!"

Old
10-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Avengers*

anyone watching walking dead season 4?

looks good so far. mixed drama with some cool zombie action. a lot better than the awful world war z.

Old
10-24-2013, 06:03 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Comedy is so subjective, 10 different people will have 10 different opinions. Dodgeball is my daughters favourite, she watches it whenever she's home sick and needs a laugh. So it's become a favourite of mine just watching it with her.

In keeping with the recent Stephen Merchant and Ricky Gervais theme, one of my favourites is The Invention of Lying. So funny.

Another favourite , Wedding Crashers. Funny thing about this is that some funny scenes seemed deleted in the DVD version.
As long as we're on the topic, funniest movies by that "crew", in my order of preference: Old School, Night at the Roxbury, Anchorman, Zoolander, Talladega Nights, Wedding Crashers, Dodgeball, Sarsky&H.

Hated: Step Brothers, Land of The Lost, Blades of Glory.

Didn't care for: Semi-pro, Superstar, Fockers.

Quote:
Anyone watch American Horror Story? I thought the first season was awful. Second season pretty good. Third season is starting off a bit rocky, imo.
I fell in love with the production value of American Horror Story in its first season, not so much the story or the actors of the show. Also it was kinda "wild" for TV at first, I think that they set a new standard in their genre.

Second season was marvelous. They pushed the barrier even further in terms of shock value and every story-line was captivating. And I don't know how they managed to make it come together like they did instead of it being a jumbled mess of over-the-top unbelievable crap and unnecessary gore, instead it was a work of art, pure and simple.

This season, I don't know. Jury is still out but I don't like the girl's "power"... I hoe they didn't peak too early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengers View Post
They love you so much that the 7th movie is filming right now and comes out next summer
Need for Speed movie gonna put them out of business Aaron Paul ftw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengers View Post
anyone watching walking dead season 4?

looks good so far. mixed drama with some cool zombie action. a lot better than the awful world war z.
I love their approach to season 4. The show needed this kind of "tension", it's what the comics were all about and the series lost it with the Governor arc which was poorly executed. Was supposed to be the high point of the show and series, and it didn't feel like it at all.

Old
10-24-2013, 06:48 PM
Lshap

Quote:

A great example of how we take for granted that wives/girlfriends will never visit this site. Man, for your sake I hope your first girlfriend hates hockey and message boards...

Old
10-24-2013, 06:51 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:

haha, I think I dumped season 1 about 4 episodes in. My girlfriend watched a few more but dropped it as well. She's the one who started me on season 2. ****ing girlfriends. I'd have so much more free time....

Old
10-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Lshap

Quote:
haha, I think I dumped season 1 about 4 episodes in. My girlfriend watched a few more but dropped it as well. She's the one who started me on season 2. ****ing girlfriends. I'd have so much more free time....
Exactly how many girlfriends do you have?

Old
10-25-2013, 04:51 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

So anyway as a super-hero fan I wanted to watch that SHIELD tv show and good Lord all mighty it's just a bunch of geeks talking to one another in the same set. I don't know what the Hell is this and what it's trying to be. I thought it was supposed to be an Avengers spin-off?

Old
10-25-2013, 06:04 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
So anyway as a super-hero fan I wanted to watch that SHIELD tv show and good Lord all mighty it's just a bunch of geeks talking to one another in the same set. I don't know what the Hell is this and what it's trying to be. I thought it was supposed to be an Avengers spin-off?
Seems unanimous that it stinks.

Anyone watch Arrow? Ive got a FB friend who keeps yapping about it.

I think overlords was talking about Vikings. How does it stack up with GoT?

Old
10-25-2013, 08:45 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
Seems unanimous that it stinks.

I think overlords was talking about Vikings. How does it stack up with GoT?
Few shows stack up to GoT, the production value, the story and acting are all amazing, however I started watching Vikings this week, it's closer to what Rome is as a show, definitely worth a watch.

Old
10-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Avengers*

Captain America The Winter Soldier trailer

Dayum son this movie looks good!

Old
10-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
I have several posts about Arrow in this thread. You're the first to mention him again.

I think Arrow may not have garnered enough attention on account of the repetitive and slow-paced first season, where a lot of the storylines were cheesy and some of the dialogue naive and overly cartoonish.

Fast-forward to this season, acting is much better, scripts more compelling, several characters are forging a more interesting identity. Arrow is part of the DC Comics world, so the next big thing on the show will be the Flash making an entrance at some point this season. All shows so far this season have been gripping. Several sub-plots are becoming more meaningful. I'd recommend it as one of the shows to follow this year, if you like the genre.

Old
10-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 402
Grimm returning this evening, for Season 3.

Season 2 recap HERE.

Show came a long way, where Season 1 special effects left a lot to be desired. But not the script and its characters, which remained solid throughout Season 2. Another show that is worth a follow, IMHO.

Old
10-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Watched the documentary Blackfish which is an account of the life of SeaWorld orca Tilikum , who killed its trainer Dawn Brancheau in 2011. If you were at all moved by The Cove this is a good production.

The documentary leaves little room for doubt about how captivity is so against the natural lives if these intelligent and very social creatures that it can turn them into depressed and perhaps psychotic beasts.

Also the Conduct of Seaworld in the Brancheau case is deplorable.

As an aside I personally witnessed a Seaworld Orlando incident some 23 years ago where a trainer was injured and removed from the water after the performing Orca pinned the trainer to the pool wall and seemingly dislocated his shoulder. I remember the explanation at the time that the orca was being 'playful' but after watching this film I realize that these are acts of animal aggression that have been covered up for decades.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:34 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Grimm returning this evening, for Season 3.

Season 2 recap HERE.

Show came a long way, where Season 1 special effects left a lot to be desired. But not the script and its characters, which remained solid throughout Season 2. Another show that is worth a follow, IMHO.
I'm watching Grimm and the new Dracula show tonight.

Old
10-25-2013, 09:45 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmagic View Post
That is always in reference to plot. New images, new styles, and new ways of seeing are always coming about. A modern filmmaker who continues to give the audience something new and fresh is Terrence Malick. The Tree of Life is one of the most stunning pieces of cinema in the last 20 years. Filmmakers like Wong Kar Wai, Michael Haneke, Harmony Korine, and Werner Herzog create a strong case against "the nothing is new" theory. They also leave Tarantino in their dust if we're going to talk about non-linear and unconventional filmmaking. Tarantino is as conventional as can be. He's pandering to the audience at this point while still being able to bask in his own self-indulgence. There is a difference too between inspiration and downright plagiarism.

Tarantino's work borders on cliché. It's just not good filmmaking, with a few exceptions. Django Unchained was nearly unwatchable because he just referenced his own films rather than referencing any other cinema. At least with films such as Kill Bill he's reaching out of his own repertoire.

The problem too lies that the substance of his films are purely superficial. The substance starts and ends with his smart references and snappy dialogue. There is not much else to his films aside from that. Which is a problem. If we are to create something truly unique and new, a filmmaker must move past the superficial. Someone like Harmony Korine uses images of the superficial in Spring Breakers to present interesting ideas about that superficiality that he's showing. The same can't be said for Tarantino.

Also, Jackie Brown might be his best film only because it's based on a source material that he didn't create.

That being said, his films can, at times, be good fun. Which is why I enjoy Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds. But, to me, his repertoire is spectacularly weak.
I love internet bohemian elitists. Some serious namedropping there.

Old
10-26-2013, 12:18 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
I love internet bohemian elitists. Some serious namedropping there.
I'm firmly in the school of thought that thinks that movies cannot be, and will not be, art. They can be artistic, they can be beautiful and captivating and emotional but they cannot be art so I pretty much disagree with everything our little Bohème has to say about Tarantino.

For instance Terrence Malick is a lot of things but he's NOT giving people new and fresh - no way.

Randomly assorted movies to check out:

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly (Le Scaphandre et le Papillon)
Once Upon a Time in the West
Grosse Pointe Blank
The Maltese Falcon
Touch of Evil
Marathon Man
The Great Escape
Big Trouble in Little China
Get Low (2009)

Totally eclectic list but I'll be watching and rewatching those this week I think.

Old
10-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
The first season of Prison is one of the best piece of television ever made. The second season is fine, but the rest is absolute crap.

Old
10-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I'm firmly in the school of thought that thinks that movies cannot be, and will not be, art. They can be artistic, they can be beautiful and captivating and emotional but they cannot be art so I pretty much disagree with everything our little Bohème has to say about Tarantino.

For instance Terrence Malick is a lot of things but he's NOT giving people new and fresh - no way.

Grosse Pointe Blank
The Maltese Falcon
Touch of Evil
Marathon Man
The Great Escape
Get Low (2009)

Totally eclectic list but I'll be watching and rewatching those this week I think.
One of my favorite

Old
10-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

Grosse Pointe Blank
The Maltese Falcon
Touch of Evil
Marathon Man
The Great Escapegross
Get Low (2009)

grosse pointe blank is also a personal favorite of mine, just awesome

Old
10-26-2013, 03:42 PM
jaffy27

Debbie does dishes was epic

Old
10-27-2013, 03:15 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
The first season of Prison is one of the best piece of television ever made. The second season is fine, but the rest is absolute crap.
Prison Break was buffed bad boys taking their shirts off. Nothing more. The show broke ground with an audience which was mostly female, but dragged along with it poor courting males who were doing their duty . Let's be clear Doing their Duty is a euphemism for trying to get laid.

Old
10-27-2013, 05:14 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Prison Break was buffed bad boys taking their shirts off. Nothing more. The show broke ground with an audience which was mostly female, but dragged along with it poor courting males who were doing their duty . Let's be clear Doing their Duty is a euphemism for trying to get laid.
I think it was genuinely good until they broke out. But I'm a shows freak.

Old
10-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

The Heat with Melissa Mccarthy and Sandra Bullock had me laughing out loud. Mccarthy is an amazing comedic actor.

Good tonic after a Habs loss.

Closed Thread