HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gillett interested in Newcastle

Old
12-10-2006, 01:39 PM
HabstuckinTO

vCash: 500
Gillett interested in Newcastle

American tycoon George Gillett has his eyes on Newcastle after giving up his Liverpool takeover bid because Sheikh Mohammed is on the verge of securing control at Anfield. (Sunday Express)

Seems absolutely trivial given what the Gainey's are currently experiencing, but I'll pass it on...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...rs/6166185.stm

HabstuckinTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Habs13

Bah... I wanted him to outbid for Liverpool.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Qui Gon Dave

The thing I don't understand about all this is his interest in 2nd rate football teams?

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
The thing I don't understand about all this is his interest in 2nd rate football teams?

concerts?

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 04:22 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Bah... I wanted him to outbid for Liverpool.
Bah... Soccer suck anyway

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
Bah... Soccer suck anyway
It probably does. Fortunately, we are talking about football.

Old
12-10-2006, 04:32 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
It probably does. Fortunately, we are talking about football.
Soccer, Football, Baseball, Basketball sucks

Old
12-10-2006, 04:49 PM
True_Canadiens

yea Soccer/football sux. Good acting school though.

True_Canadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 05:01 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Canadiens View Post
yea Soccer/football sux. Good acting school though.
Forget all the continental european fakers an their counter-parts in southern america, what you want is a tough, no nonsense football player.

This man was not an actor

Old
12-10-2006, 05:09 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Forget all the continental european fakers an their counter-parts in southern america, what you want is a tough, no nonsense football player.

This man was not an actor
is that blood all over his t-shirt and short?

Old
12-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
is that blood all over his t-shirt and short?
Yep, he got a head injury in an England game a long time ago and missed a couple of minutes while medical staff saw to him. Then he was back on the pitch in the middle of the action. The other team kept playing high balls to their forwards but Butcher wasn't gonna be beaten. Every time they sent the ball high, he rose up to head it. As he did that, his injury got worse. The result is what you see in the picture. Every time the ball went out of play, they had to stop and wipe the blood off the ball. Terry Butcher. A true English centre back

Did Butcher think there was a problem?

Apparently not

Old
12-10-2006, 05:21 PM
StevenintheATL

Anyone would be better than Fatty Shepherd. If the Magpies get relegated, the Toon Army will probably hang Shepherd and Hall in effigy outside of St. James Park.

StevenintheATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 09:38 PM
True_Canadiens

I hope you realize that faking is killing your sport.

True_Canadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2006, 10:03 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I hope you realize that faking is killing your sport.
While I somewhat agree, it's still immensely popular. Match fixing has had a more adverse effect than diving.

Regardless, Gillett will have similar problems to Glazer if he tries to buy Newcastle. Without the death threats, though.

12-11-2006, 01:50 AM
HabuseMoi

A thing I noticed with Soccer is that it seem to have got out of control at a lot of level. (faking, framing, violent crowds etc...)

is it true that people actually get stabbed at games by Hooligans sometime?

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 03:02 AM
B2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
A thing I noticed with Soccer is that it seem to have got out of control at a lot of level. (faking, framing, violent crowds etc...)

is it true that people actually get stabbed at games by Hooligans sometime?
You'v just recently noticed that? It's been like that for decades. Hooligans in europe is as common as the game itself, although it hasn't been written so much about if you go back a couple of years, but it's on the rebound but more in form of firms. The bribing of refs etc in italy is the new stuff not seen before. Well and faking is more or less common depending on which league your watching, premiere league's been fairly saved from it but with increasing southeuropean influences the'v got that aswell.

B2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 11:42 AM
Habs13

Ok, enough with the faking crap here folks. Is there never any diving in hockey? Ask Ribeiro? Oh how quickly we forget.

Yes, some players see it fit to dive and fake injury and yes, Fifa is clamping down on that. However, as far as I'm concerned, football remains the greatest sport in the world.

Do people get stabbed in crowds at games? It has happened... and yes, there are hooligans too. There was an incident just last week in Holland (I think it was Holland) - do hockey players fight on the ice? I can cleary remember Habs and Bruins fans going at it in the Montreal Forum. That's what you get when you have passionate crowds.

Qui Gon Dave is the man for dragging up Terry Butcher! There was also footballer turned actor, Vinnie Jones.. those that know about him know what I mean.

Millwall FC fovever!

Old
12-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Qui Gon Dave is the man for dragging up Terry Butcher! There was also footballer turned actor, Vinnie Jones.. those that know about him know what I mean.

Millwall FC fovever!
Vinnie Jones. Ah yes, the shining stone in The Crazy Gang (not the name of a film for the clueless amongst you, but the team he played for - seriously). I still remember the uproar from that video he starred in that got banned before it got released. The one where he was showing how to seriously injure someone by scraping your studs down a certain part of their leg. You recall that one Habs13? I think he also got sent off in a Man City game within 10 seconds (can't remember if it was straight red or 2 bookables). And as a measure of toughness and bravery (an unusual measure), I shall now add Gary Linekers name to the mix. Regarded as soft by many to the point where he wasn't always willing to head the ball, I still recall an England game in the early ninties (friendly or qualie) where a low cross came in and in a moment completely out of character, he went for a diving header. Can't remember if he got the ball or not, but I remember the defender kicking him full on in the face. A moment of either inspired bravery or absent minded stupidity. Even the guys with not so tough reputations can have their brave moments.

As for the hooligan issue, that was a real big problem at one time about 10 years ago, but the authorities put in a lot of effort to remove that element of the crowd from the games. I think there is a sort of database with known hooligans in and if they are spotted at a game (at least games of bigger clubs in the UK, I assume elsewhere as well) then they are at least thrown out of the ground immediately. Hooliganism still exists in some forms and fights I believe are still occur, just not at the games. The idiots who participate in such activities realise they have no chance of actually starting trouble at a game that the rival 'gangs' just pick a time and place to meet up and beat the **** out of each other (although I'm not sure how common this is). To say that they are 'football hooligans' is rediculous because their actions have so little to do with football it isn't funny. They are more like gangs from different areas of the country. Associating them with football is an injustice to the sport and the people who genuinely care about it.

As for the faking, I think the influx of foreign players to the English game has had an effect to some degree, although I would in no way say that it is solely responsible for it. Even if top class international players hadn't come here, it probably would have developed on its own at some point. I can't speak for other nations, but when I was growing up (and before, probably since as well), there was always this pride about English football. We haven't had a lot of success over the years (certainly not as much as the hype we receive) but there was always that pride of being English/British, playing the game in a sporting manner yet being strong and not backing down, even when things got tough. There were men like Terry Butcher who people look up to, who take a beating and keep on going for the good of the team because they just can't allow themselves to quit. The best analogy I can think of is how Canadians think of their hockey players. Sure, some Canadian players dive and whine and all the rest of it, but there is that pride of playing the game fairly and playing the game well. If that means taking the hit to make the play, thats what you do. Then you get back up and if you can play on, you play on, if you can't, you go to the bench. Growing up learning to play football, I was taught (and still believe today) that the game is there to be played in a sporting manner. It's also there to be played in a competative manner so you have to get used to the physical side of it, but you stay honest, give your best and don't resort to cheap tactics and cheating. Some people get that, some people don't. Sadly, some people who don't get it are millionaires who most kids in the country look up to every weekend and are almost worshipped, but they set bad examples and never apologise. There are probably plenty of honest, hard working, good examples of football players out there, but that isn't glamorous. If you can do 3 stepovers in one second and set a new longjump record a few steps larter, that's still a good thing to some people. As I said, sadly.

As for anyone looking to play the 'football and its fans don't have any morals' card (an overstatement, I agree, but apparently, faking is killing 'my' sport, which if true, means it's killing hockey), I seem to remember a few people posting reports about NHL games where fights broke out in the crowd. That must be vastly different to fights at football games. Right?

Anyways, there is always plenty of opportunity for looking at the negative sides of football and other aspects linked to the game (however tenuously). I can see why Gillett would be interested in Newcastle as an aquisition, but I kinda hope he doesn't. Should he go through with it though, if he wants to quickly be accepted by the Geordie crowd, all he has to do is go to an evening game at St. James' this December and watch the entire game without his shirt (or a coat or hat) on. I think that would endear him to the locals very quickly

Old
12-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Habs13

Quote:
Vinnie Jones. Ah yes, the shining stone in The Crazy Gang (not the name of a film for the clueless amongst you, but the team he played for - seriously). I still remember the uproar from that video he starred in that got banned before it got released. The one where he was showing how to seriously injure someone by scraping your studs down a certain part of their leg. You recall that one Habs13? I think he also got sent off in a Man City game within 10 seconds (can't remember if it was straight red or 2 bookables). And as a measure of toughness and bravery (an unusual measure), I shall now add Gary Linekers name to the mix. Regarded as soft by many to the point where he wasn't always willing to head the ball, I still recall an England game in the early ninties (friendly or qualie) where a low cross came in and in a moment completely out of character, he went for a diving header. Can't remember if he got the ball or not, but I remember the defender kicking him full on in the face. A moment of either inspired bravery or absent minded stupidity. Even the guys with not so tough reputations can have their brave moments.

As for the hooligan issue, that was a real big problem at one time about 10 years ago, but the authorities put in a lot of effort to remove that element of the crowd from the games. I think there is a sort of database with known hooligans in and if they are spotted at a game (at least games of bigger clubs in the UK, I assume elsewhere as well) then they are at least thrown out of the ground immediately. Hooliganism still exists in some forms and fights I believe are still occur, just not at the games. The idiots who participate in such activities realise they have no chance of actually starting trouble at a game that the rival 'gangs' just pick a time and place to meet up and beat the **** out of each other (although I'm not sure how common this is). To say that they are 'football hooligans' is rediculous because their actions have so little to do with football it isn't funny. They are more like gangs from different areas of the country. Associating them with football is an injustice to the sport and the people who genuinely care about it.

As for the faking, I think the influx of foreign players to the English game has had an effect to some degree, although I would in no way say that it is solely responsible for it. Even if top class international players hadn't come here, it probably would have developed on its own at some point. I can't speak for other nations, but when I was growing up (and before, probably since as well), there was always this pride about English football. We haven't had a lot of success over the years (certainly not as much as the hype we receive) but there was always that pride of being English/British, playing the game in a sporting manner yet being strong and not backing down, even when things got tough. There were men like Terry Butcher who people look up to, who take a beating and keep on going for the good of the team because they just can't allow themselves to quit. The best analogy I can think of is how Canadians think of their hockey players. Sure, some Canadian players dive and whine and all the rest of it, but there is that pride of playing the game fairly and playing the game well. If that means taking the hit to make the play, thats what you do. Then you get back up and if you can play on, you play on, if you can't, you go to the bench. Growing up learning to play football, I was taught (and still believe today) that the game is there to be played in a sporting manner. It's also there to be played in a competative manner so you have to get used to the physical side of it, but you stay honest, give your best and don't resort to cheap tactics and cheating. Some people get that, some people don't. Sadly, some people who don't get it are millionaires who most kids in the country look up to every weekend and are almost worshipped, but they set bad examples and never apologise. There are probably plenty of honest, hard working, good examples of football players out there, but that isn't glamorous. If you can do 3 stepovers in one second and set a new longjump record a few steps larter, that's still a good thing to some people. As I said, sadly.

As for anyone looking to play the 'football and its fans don't have any morals' card (an overstatement, I agree, but apparently, faking is killing 'my' sport, which if true, means it's killing hockey), I seem to remember a few people posting reports about NHL games where fights broke out in the crowd. That must be vastly different to fights at football games. Right?

Anyways, there is always plenty of opportunity for looking at the negative sides of football and other aspects linked to the game (however tenuously). I can see why Gillett would be interested in Newcastle as an aquisition, but I kinda hope he doesn't. Should he go through with it though, if he wants to quickly be accepted by the Geordie crowd, all he has to do is go to an evening game at St. James' this December and watch the entire game without his shirt (or a coat or hat) on. I think that would endear him to the locals very quickly

It's been so long, can't remember what he did to get the boot so fast. Although I do remember a class between Jones and Gazza after Jones tied to shatter Gazza's ankle in a nasty tackle. I think it was just before the England oste to be named to boot. He's a nasty piece of work, that one.

As for England's lack of intenational sucsess, it's down to three main things, I think. The fact that we have a bad rep due to violent fans, short English tempers and cheating opponents.

For example, Sol Campbell's disallowed goal at Euro 2004 was pure rubbish. On top of the deliberate breaking of Rooney's foot by the Portuguise defender, while 18 year old Rooney led the tournament in goals. We should have faced Greece. Gazza's temper in 1994... Beckham's stupid reaction to the non-call against Argentina that led to our defeat afte being up 2-0 in 1998... Rooney's shoving C.Ronaldo after the little ****** was up to his normal stunts again in 2006. And, of course, fatty Diego Maradonna and the "hand of god" goal in '86.

Then again, what was Sven thinking bringing that 17 year old along in '06 with Owen and Rooney coming off bad injuries. We needed another striker besides Crouch. Hesky even... I don't know.

Have we ever had a striker that was good on spot kicks?

Old
12-11-2006, 10:18 PM
westcoast habsfan

Why is Gillette so interested in purchasing a football team that is on the other side of the Atlantic? I'm pretty sure Gillette still lives in Vail, Colorado! That's a fair distance to travel not to mention the difference in time zones as well.

First, the interest in Liverpool and now Newcastle? Didn't know he was such an English soccer fan.

westcoast habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 07:21 AM
Habs13

English Premiere League teams make a lot of cash... moreso than NHL teams. He apparently offered $980 Million dollars for Liverpool, and was outbid. Sick eh?

Old
12-12-2006, 09:55 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
English Premiere League teams make a lot of cash... moreso than NHL teams. He apparently offered $980 Million dollars for Liverpool, and was outbid. Sick eh?
He should buy my FC Nantes. It's probably on the market, for less than 20 Million Euros. Strong fan base, great national history, almost made it to the Champions League final 10 years ago, one of the best farm system in Europe.

Actually, the only problem is that we kind of suck hard right now.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
It's been so long, can't remember what he did to get the boot so fast.
Have we ever had a striker that was good on spot kicks?
I remember he rushed into a tackle from the opening kick off and flattened the 3rd guy to touch the ball, just can't remember if he got booked for that and then did something else stupid or got the straight red.

As for a striker that was good on spot kicks, Shearer was decent, but once again (at least in my lifetime) I have to think Gary Lineker was the best we've had. The only penalty I can recall him missing was the FA Cup final between Spurs and Forest (was that '93?) Whenever we had penalty shootouts, he always seemed to score, in that game against Cameroon in Italia '90, he scored 2 during the game to get us level, I'd have to say he was the most reliable, although I don't remember too much football during the 80's so if he was inconsistant then, I'm not aware of it.

Quote:
***! How do you compare hockey with Sucker!!! **** U! Hockey is a real sport without ****ing facking! In sucker you see stupid actors for the whole game!
Sarcasm?

If not, ignorance is bliss. Go and enjoy your life.

Old
12-12-2006, 10:30 AM
eddy

Thats pretty cool I'm a huge soccer fan and I hope Gillet is able to buy Newcastle. As for this diving thing I'm sure all soccer fans atleast in this part of the world will agree it's garbage however at the same time a lot of people in this part of the world don't have an appreciation for the game either and it truely is a beutiful game to watch. Actually Newcastle is in the English Premier League which has probably the least amount of diving amoung the top Football leagues in Europe, however leagues such as Serie A in Italy and The Spanish league can get a bit out of hand.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Habs13

Quote:
**** U!
Excuse me???