HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Jones vs Drouin- would you still want Drouin if draft was today?

Old
10-22-2013, 08:39 AM
utmfisher19

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
I've always said, it doesn't matter what your needs are, you take the best player available to you when it is your time to pick. And in this case, Jones was the best player available. Hey, 3 teams passed on the best player available.

I was THRILLED (like literally yelled inside my house) when I found out we drafted Jones and still am. I never doubted drafting him nor do I still.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 08:59 AM
maplepred

I think this is a question we should ask ourselves in five years from now. Way to early to pick winners and losers, it's not even November yet lol

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 09:01 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Who's to say Drouin would be the type of player to reach his potential in our system anyway?

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 09:32 AM
kakemono

I would still want Drouin.

But I think this is a false dilemma since we never had a choice between the two. We never thought we would have the choice between the two.

The question would be: Would you rather have Jones over Nushiskin or Monohan? I would say yes.

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakemono View Post
I would still want Drouin.

But I think this is a false dilemma since we never had a choice between the two. We never thought we would have the choice between the two.

The question would be: Would you rather have Jones over Nushiskin or Monohan? I would say yes.
I think Jones at his peak potential will be more valuable to his team over a Drouin at his peak. This team, Tampa, Florida, whoever. But whatever.....I was (and still am) extremely excited to get Jones because I thought we had no chance, I'm just glad the season we randomly tanked and were terrible happened to be the year of a stacked draft so we were going to get a stud either way.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Should have asked if we should have taken Jones or Monohan. I would pick Jones still but boy has Monohan looked really good on a bad team and he kits the Predator mold.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Nothing Is New

I don't know. I wanted one of the big three over Jones. Not sure what happened with Droiun pre-season. If he is still an elite offensive prospect, then I would take him over Jones. Really like Jones but if the choice is a top notch offensive finisher versus a now very good, but potentially elite D-man - when we already have an elite d-man, then I'm taking the finisher. Though I'm troubled by how the current Preds coaching staff might handle a great, but green offensive prospect - who needs to be shown some patience.

This is a really an involved hypothetical. If I knew then what I know today, I'm taking Monahan over them all.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 10:44 AM
SeventyOneTN

I was worried how Drouin or Barkov would have node here with the pieces around them. I don't think it would have been the coaching but very difficult with our cast for them. Of those 2 Barkov would have been the better fit here. At the time I though Jones was the safer pick and the better fit. He has exceeded my expectations.

SeventyOneTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 10:56 AM
SavageSteve

I've been pleasantly surprised at how quickly Jones has established himself early on; but will reserve judgement of him until it seems he hits the rookie wall. However the pick I will always lament is taking Pickard in 2008...

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 11:30 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
I've always said, it doesn't matter what your needs are, you take the best player available to you when it is your time to pick. And in this case, Jones was the best player available. Hey, 3 teams passed on the best player available.

I was THRILLED (like literally yelled inside my house) when I found out we drafted Jones and still am. I never doubted drafting him nor do I still.
Traditional wisdom states that when there's a negligible drop from player to player, drafting for need isn't a bad way to go. Case in point: the Edmonton Oilers

Taking Jones at 4 instead of Lindholm was absolutely the right move. Taking him over Barkov or Mackinnon? Maybe not.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 11:47 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Traditional wisdom states that when there's a negligible drop from player to player, drafting for need isn't a bad way to go. Case in point: the Edmonton Oilers

Taking Jones at 4 instead of Lindholm was absolutely the right move. Taking him over Barkov or Mackinnon? Maybe not.
agree completely. I would today still take Barkov or McKinnon over Jones if i had the choice, based off of need and there isn't much seperating them in terms of potential.

I do like to think if we had gotten one of the forwards, how our July 5th would have gone. I don't think we would have seen Hendricks or Nystrom, or maybe even Cullen., and we would have picked up a Dman.

It is fun to think about.

and I think Seth made the point earlier, it is fun to think about how angry we were at Suter leaving, but his departure let Forsberg and Jones in the door.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 12:18 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I'd trade a soon-to-be UFA Suter for Forsberg and Jones

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2013, 08:18 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

I 100% agree.... IF we were talking about the NBA or NFL. However, the NHL is like MLB. You DON'T draft based on your needs. You draft based on the best player available.

Why is MLB and NHL different? Because you don't draft players to fill holes that you have RIGHT NOW. You draft expecting players to develop 3-5 years down the road. And guess what, we have NO idea what holes we will have in our lineup 3-5 years down the road.

Point being, you sign free agents and make trades based on your team's needs. You draft the best players no matter the position.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 07:08 AM
kakemono

We will be able to tell truly how elite Drouin is this year without MacKinnon on his line.

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 03:58 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
I wanted Barkov really, but mostly because I knew we had no shot at Mack/Jones. Definitely would take Jones over Drouin now, and in the future.
You've changed your mind in October of their draft year? Haha, id still take Drouin, have to have more confidence in yourself then that. Not to say Jones hasn't looked great but I think all 4 are going to be stars.

bert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 04:00 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakemono View Post
We will be able to tell truly how elite Drouin is this year without MacKinnon on his line.
He had a better ppg without Mackinnon last year then with, the fact that people are writing him off right now because he isn't in the NHL is absolutely ridiculous. He will be the biggest threat to score out of any player in this draft.

bert is online now   Reply With Quote