HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread VIII: "The makeup has to be jigged"

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Tw0Shoes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
I assume you're referring to the Lindros trade, which brought back a guy who ended up being one of the best ever in Peter Forsberg (hardly a trade for depth). If Forsberg hadn't panned out, do you think they win that deal and a Cup?
Pretty sure they traded the people they drafted, plus hextall for Patrick Roy too. That might have helped.

Old
10-24-2013, 11:19 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
This is the problem though! Do we have to wait until all these guys are 25 before we start winning games? Or should we move one(the youngest) and upgrade right now? It's not like we'd be adding a ton of age but Simmonds is 25 and going into his prime, Schenn is 22, Couturier is 20, Coburn is 28. We're adding two guys in their prime and the other guys will be hitting it sooner then Yakupov.
I don't think adding those guys moves us any closer to the playoffs or the Cup right now when you factor in what we're losing.

Quote:
The Nordiques traded 3 of their 1st overalls and won a cup so I don't think it's a bad strategy to follow
Of all the assets they got from all those trades, only one was around when they actually won the Cup (Forsberg). The rest got traded for other parts.

Old
10-24-2013, 11:20 AM
skorf

I'm against trading our first rounder, with how strong our division is, there's a good chance we are out of the playoffs even with a guy like Girardi. I'd love Girardi but we already don't have a second rounder. I hate the idea of trading potential players in 3 years for a guy now (one that would have no reason not to test the free agent market if he comes here)... plus look at some of the guys picked between 5-14 the last few years.

As for the 3rd/4th line argument. I'd say we have a solid enough 3rd and 4th line once everyone gets healthy. Hall, Perron, Gagner, Nuge, Arcobello, Gordon, Hemsky, Yak, Eberle, Joensuu, Acton, Pitlick, Gazdic, Smyth... not a bad 14 guys to have for forwards (can add in Jones and Pitlick too if you want, that's 16 guys that I'd say are NHL caliber).
If anything, our top guys need to develop better 2 way games, but that takes time. I'd argue Patrick Kane is a solid 2 way player now, but he wasn't his first few years. Overall I'd say forward isn't where we need to improve

What we need is that top pairing D (everyone is looking at forwards, but EVERY NHL champion has a top pairing D). Keith, Doughty, Chara, Lidstrom, Niedermeyer (I guess the Penguins didn't really have one or Carolina, but the last 4 champs have)

Someone better than a Girardi or a Cobourn. If we're moving a guy like Yakupov or Eberle... I'd rather see us target that D we need, even if we have to overpay. Rather than trade Yakupov for 2-3 more forwards to our forward group.

Also I'd take right now
Perron/Nuge/Eberle
Hall/Gordon/Yak
Gagner/Arco/Hemsky
Joensuu/Acton/Smyth
-Gazdic, Jones
over
Perron/Nuge/Eberle
Hall/Schenn/Gagner
Simmonds/Gordon/Hemsky
Joensuu/Arco/Acton
-Gazdic, Smyth

Old
10-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Of all the assets they got from all those trades, only one was around when they actually won the Cup (Forsberg). The rest got traded for other parts.
Actually I'm wrong on that point. That was the second Cup. There were 10 players from the trades on the first Avs Cup.

Regardless, there's not much of a lesson to take from that example.

Old
10-24-2013, 11:38 AM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
I'm against trading our first rounder, with how strong our division is, there's a good chance we are out of the playoffs even with a guy like Girardi. I'd love Girardi but we already don't have a second rounder. I hate the idea of trading potential players in 3 years for a guy now (one that would have no reason not to test the free agent market if he comes here)... plus look at some of the guys picked between 5-14 the last few years.

As for the 3rd/4th line argument. I'd say we have a solid enough 3rd and 4th line once everyone gets healthy. Hall, Perron, Gagner, Nuge, Arcobello, Gordon, Hemsky, Yak, Eberle, Joensuu, Acton, Pitlick, Gazdic, Smyth... not a bad 14 guys to have for forwards (can add in Jones and Pitlick too if you want, that's 16 guys that I'd say are NHL caliber).
If anything, our top guys need to develop better 2 way games, but that takes time. I'd argue Patrick Kane is a solid 2 way player now, but he wasn't his first few years. Overall I'd say forward isn't where we need to improve

What we need is that top pairing D (everyone is looking at forwards, but EVERY NHL champion has a top pairing D). Keith, Doughty, Chara, Lidstrom, Niedermeyer (I guess the Penguins didn't really have one or Carolina, but the last 4 champs have)

Someone better than a Girardi or a Cobourn. If we're moving a guy like Yakupov or Eberle... I'd rather see us target that D we need, even if we have to overpay. Rather than trade Yakupov for 2-3 more forwards to our forward group.

Also I'd take right now
Perron/Nuge/Eberle
Hall/Gordon/Yak
Gagner/Arco/Hemsky
Joensuu/Acton/Smyth
-Gazdic, Jones
over
Perron/Nuge/Eberle
Hall/Schenn/Gagner
Simmonds/Gordon/Hemsky
Joensuu/Arco/Acton
-Gazdic, Smyth
I would rather have:
Hall; RNH; Eberle
Perron; Schenn; Hemsky
Gagner; Gordon; Simmonds
Joensuu; Acton; Jones/Pitlick
Smyth

This line up is more balanced from the top line to the 4th line. It has plenty of skill, more size and grit. I think a deal with PHI for Schenn and Simmonds for Yak and Arco is a fair deal. Trade Gagner plus for Yandle and we are a lot better team.

Old
10-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Top 6 Spaling

With the emergence of Jones and the development of Ekholm, there is some talk among Nashville fans that Josi could be moved if the return is right. I would strongly prefer to keep him, but I'm curious what he would fetch us.

Would you all move Eberle to get Josi? I know Hall and RNH are off the table, and I highly doubt we would want Yakupov for him (we have drafted a Russian in about a decade, and that's not an exaggeration).

Old
10-24-2013, 02:02 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
With the emergence of Jones and the development of Ekholm, there is some talk among Nashville fans that Josi could be moved if the return is right. I would strongly prefer to keep him, but I'm curious what he would fetch us.

Would you all move Eberle to get Josi? I know Hall and RNH are off the table, and I highly doubt we would want Yakupov for him (we have drafted a Russian in about a decade, and that's not an exaggeration).

Josi is the most overrated d-man in the league, not a chance am I moving a top player for a 18 minute a night d-man. Guy plays with weber and he is a god. Isn't with Weber so now he is expendable. If someone is willing to pay for him Poille should move him now.

He's a younger N.Schultz.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:

Not Eberle for sure (8pt and a +10 in 6 game road trip).. But for Gagner it may be close in value.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

Josi is the most overrated d-man in the league, not a chance am I moving a top player for a 18 minute a night d-man. Guy plays with weber and he is a god. Isn't with Weber so now he is expendable. If someone is willing to pay for him Poille should move him now.

He's a younger N.Schultz.
I can't express how much I disagree with you. Josi is a future top pairing Dman, and is a solid #2/3 guy right now. The reason he is expendable has nothing to do with him and everything to do with the fact that we now have Weber and Jones to play on our top pairing, with Klein and Ekholm looking great as a 2nd pairing. In a perfect world, we would keep them all, but we have a surplus at defense and a weakness at forward. So we should make a trade. Josi is "expendable" because he is not the face of the franchise (Weber) or cheaply on an ELC (Jones). Not cause he is a bad player.

He is one of my favorite players, and I fully believe he has #1D potential. Not sure if he will reach it, but he has that potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Not Eberle for sure (8pt and a +10 in 6 game road trip).. But for Gagner it may be close in value.
Not a chance, we can do far better than Gagner. Rather just keep Josi.

I totally understand not wanting to deal Eberle for him, he's a great player, which is why I want him. Don't under-rate Josi though.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
I can't express how much I disagree with you. Josi is a future top pairing Dman, and is a solid #2/3 guy right now. The reason he is expendable has nothing to do with him and everything to do with the fact that we now have Weber and Jones to play on our top pairing, with Klein and Ekholm looking great as a 2nd pairing. In a perfect world, we would keep them all, but we have a surplus at defense and a weakness at forward. So we should make a trade. Josi is "expendable" because he is not the face of the franchise (Weber) or cheaply on an ELC (Jones). Not cause he is a bad player.

He is one of my favorite players, and I fully believe he has #1D potential. Not sure if he will reach it, but he has that potential.

Not a chance, we can do far better than Gagner. Rather just keep Josi.

I totally understand not wanting to deal Eberle for him, he's a great player, which is why I want him. Don't under-rate Josi though.
That's just it, you said Josi is 'expendable'. Which to us means 'value lowered'. Not saying he isn't good, but you are trying to get Eberle, a top 10 RW in the NHL at this moment for a 2-3 top dman who is also playing behind Weber.

The only player we would even consider TALKING about Eberle in the same breath is Weber and we both know that's not going anywhere.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
That's just it, you said Josi is 'expendable'. Which to us means 'value lowered'. Not saying he isn't good, but you are trying to get Eberle, a top 10 RW in the NHL at this moment for a 2-3 top dman who is also playing behind Weber.

The only player we would even consider TALKING about Eberle in the same breath is Weber and we both know that's not going anywhere.
I could be totally wrong here, but I thought I heard main board chatter that Eberle was falling in value and could be had. If that is wrong I apologize, just remember hearing it somewhere. Didn't know how good of a road trip he was having.

I am offering our 3rd most valuable Dman for your 3rd most valuable forward. Both are still great players, they just play on teams that have a strength at their position. I completely understand if you don't want to this deal, but I don't think it's outlandish to suggest.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
I could be totally wrong here, but I thought I heard main board chatter that Eberle was falling in value and could be had. If that is wrong I apologize, just remember hearing it somewhere. Didn't know how good of a road trip he was having.
Check back next time Eberle has a bad game, things will be different again.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:39 PM
SupremeTeam16

Josi is a good D-man but he benefitted alot from playing with Weber. He also has a concussion that he sustained over 3 weeks ago and hasn't been back on the ice since. That is a little concerning.

Oilers need a guy who is a #1 D-man on his own not a number #1 D-man who is a product of playing with a very strong partner. For a guy like that we would definitely look at packaging a guy like Eberle.

I think what made the Avs/Nords so successful in trading is that they didn't force deals they were patient and waited for the right situation where they could get a quality player for not a huge over payment. You look at the trades for Roy and Bourque they aquired top players for not much at all in the way of assets just because they waited for the right time. They also got really lucky with the Lindros trade.

I think the Oilers need to make some small moves and wait for the right time to pull the trigger on that #1 d-man they covet so much.

In the mean time, I think we need to bring in another solid bottom 6 forward and a goalie to challenge Dub.

For bottom 6 I'd really really like Mac-T to put a call in on Matthias in Florida. I think we could get him for something like Musil/Gernat and a 3rd and he would be a great bottom 6 guy who can play wing or centre and he can even be used in the top 6.

As for goalies, I think either of Svedberg from Boston, Mrazek from Detroit could be targets.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:

If you want Eberle, you give us Jones, it's as simple as that.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
If you want Eberle, you give us Jones, it's as simple as that.
Oh come now, no need to be that greedy. I'm sure we could settle for Weber.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:

I am offering our 3rd most valuable Dman for your 3rd most valuable forward. Both are still great players, they just play on teams that have a strength at their position. I completely understand if you don't want to this deal, but I don't think it's outlandish to suggest.
A lot of Oiler fans (especially the ones who complain about every little detail) will always throw Eberle under the bus just because he isn't a 1st overall pick. IMO, Eberle is more complete and consistent forward out of the 3 1st overalls. I value Eberle more than Hall, Yaks and RNH. If there's one person to look for that game winning goal or at least set it up, it's Eberle.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:59 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
I'd say keep your depth and send Ekholm down to the AHL when Josi comes back.

:shrug:

Ekholm is still young for a defender.

Old
10-24-2013, 03:02 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:

Any change in value you might have heard is probably from the same people claiming Hall's not worth as much because Gryba decided to cheap shot him and Hall got injured

10-24-2013, 03:08 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I don't think you'll find much support for your Josi for Eberle idea, Top 6 Spaling. How the main boards view the value and availability of Oilers players and how HFOil does is quite different.

Old
10-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
I don't think you'll find much support for your Josi for Eberle idea, Top 6 Spaling. How the main boards view the value and availability of Oilers players and how HFOil does is quite different.
Pretty much agree. The Main Board people are different from us HFOil people. We HFOil people tend to stay in the sewers, we don't come out much and we keep to ourselves while the Main Boarders love to leech off of people and suck every living soul out of your body and mind. Just my 2 cents.

Old
10-24-2013, 03:59 PM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
A lot of Oiler fans (especially the ones who complain about every little detail) will always throw Eberle under the bus just because he isn't a 1st overall pick. IMO, Eberle is more complete and consistent forward out of the 3 1st overalls. I value Eberle more than Hall, Yaks and RNH. If there's one person to look for that game winning goal or at least set it up, it's Eberle.
I have Eberle as being superior ATM but I think him and RNH are going to be about equal on our top line.

I think Hall is going to be an decent pwf on the 2nd line something like Erik Cole was with Yak being and 2nd liner on a non playoff team - think Samsonov.

Old
10-24-2013, 04:11 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Ok, thanks for the feedback. Not seeing a deal that works.

Old
10-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Petro Points

Alright.. rank the following F+D duos in terms of Oilers needs:

TOR: Gardiner + Kulemin
OTT: Cowen + Z.Smith
FLA: Kulikov + Matthias
PHI: Coburn + Simmonds
OTT: Myers + Ott
NYR: Girardi + Kreider

Old
10-24-2013, 04:17 PM
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the feedback. Not seeing a deal that works.
Not sure how you expected to land a top-20 scorer for a currently concussed dman...

Old
10-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
Not sure how you expected to land a top-20 scorer for a currently concussed dman...
its ok.. let it go..We are classier than this... Last year it wouldve been "Josi>Ebs AINEC"
Ive made plenty of Weber to EDM for Gagner++ to know how homer a fan can sound.

Closed Thread