HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Norstrom

View Poll Results: How badly is he needed
God we need him 12 31.58%
He'd be good 17 44.74%
Neutral 4 10.53%
Not needed 1 2.63%
Stupid idea 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2004, 07:37 AM
Verbal Kint*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
Norstrom is the type of D-man the Leafs need. I would put him on third on the list, behind Aucoin and Smith.
I wouldn't go after Smith. He's hd some tension with Quinn and we don't need any **** disturbed. Aucoin is said to be untouchable as well.

Old
01-18-2004, 07:38 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

he's a great player
dont let his low pt production fool yoy, he has good skill

Old
01-18-2004, 02:17 PM
sluggo*

Norstrom wouldn't come cheap, though with the Kings pretty much out of it (because of all the injuries) there's a chance he'll get moved.

All things considered equel, and with no other teams interested, he would probably cost the Leafs their first in 2004, a later round pick in 2004 or '05 and Tellqvist (they need a strong goal tending prospect). The problem is that the Leafs are now on a slide and aren't looking the powerhouse they looked like last month, teams KNOW they need defensive help and aren't going to give guys up cheaply to them.

Plus if Norstrom becomes avaible other teams will be interested, I would image he'd be one of (if not THE) best D-man avaible this year. I would guess the Canucks will be interested, they'll need/want a strong defense because of Cloutiers past playoff preformance. The Avs might be interested for the same reason the Canucks would be. I could see the Blues looking to replace MacInnis. If Dallas starts playing better, moves up in the standings and looks like they could make a playoff run I would imagine they would be interested in Norstrom to replace Hatcher. The Lighning are after Hamrlik, but if that doesn't happen I would guess Norstrom would be next on their list. The Thrashers MIGHT if they get in, thats one big hole they have on their team, a top D-man. Last year 11 teams tried to get Niinimaa from the Oilers, once you get that many teams going for one player you pretty much have to over pay to get them.

Old
01-18-2004, 02:38 PM
sluggo*

One team I forgot who the Leafs might have to contend with is the Devils. Stevens has been out for 4 games and could be out for a while longer. Its possible he has post-concussion syndrome, but they don't know yet. IF something happens and Stevens can't play for them in the playoffs the Devils could throw their "hat into the ring" to get Norstrom.

Old
01-18-2004, 02:48 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
I doubt teams like New Jersey, Vancouver and Dallas could afford Norstrom

Old
01-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Verbal Kint*

Sluggo, could any of the teams you mentioned afford a 4.5 mil salary over the next 2 seasons? Didn't think so.

Old
01-18-2004, 03:39 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
Sluggo, could any of the teams you mentioned afford a 4.5 mil salary over the next 2 seasons? Didn't think so
Well first next season probably won't happen, so its only one season they would have to pay him.

If Stevens is out then the Devils insurence will pay part of his 6.9 million dollar salary, and its wildly believed this is his last year in the NHL anyway, it wouldn't be a problem for them, they'd be getting a good replacment for Stevens and saving about 2.5 million. The Canucks just moved one of their D-men,and don't have that much salary on their books past this year (17.4 million) I doubt it would be much of a problem for them. Dallas, good chance they can't, but they could just decide to go for it. The Blues don't have any money issues and could afford him, same with the Lightning. And those teams I meantioned are by no means all the teams that could be interested in Norstrom. Its stupid to think there won't be a lot of interest in him if/when he becomes avaible, which will bump up the LA's asking price for him.

Last edited by sluggo*: 01-18-2004 at 04:14 PM.
Old
01-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Mike1

Is L.A really willing to part with their best defencemen? They are still in the playoff hunt with all their injuries. I'm not so sure they're willing too. What about Aaron Miller? He would be someone that can help the Leafs defence as well.

Old
01-18-2004, 06:27 PM
Fat Elvis

Norstrom is the heart and soul of the Kings defense, we'd be crazy to move him. Miller or Modry can be had for a lot less. The Kings don't want to go to rebuild mode either and that is way we can't trade Norstrom. If you had him you would not want to trade him either. He was our #1 even with Blake, he rarely ever makes a bad play. Can't have him.

Old
01-18-2004, 08:59 PM
LuckyLUC20

I would hope the Kings learned from their past mistakes and hold on to Norstrom. He's the most important defenseman for the Kings. They are still in the playoff picture (8th spot in the West). I don't think he's going anywhere (even if the Kings are out of it).

Old
01-19-2004, 12:46 AM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLUC20
I would hope the Kings learned from their past mistakes and hold on to Norstrom. He's the most important defenseman for the Kings. They are still in the playoff picture (8th spot in the West). I don't think he's going anywhere (even if the Kings are out of it).
Well I hope the Kings refuse to learn! Sorry, its for my leafs.

Closed Thread