HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

GDT..12/9/06 Ducks @ Tampa Bay

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-10-2006, 09:04 AM
  #51
OptimismRestrainer
Registered User
 
OptimismRestrainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: what, exactly?
Posts: 5,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHanson View Post
Sucks they lost but 3-4 is better than the 1-7 or whatever I was expecting.

Makes no difference what the score is. If you lose you get the same amount of points.

OptimismRestrainer is offline  
Old
12-10-2006, 11:45 AM
  #52
Hawkeye
Registered User
 
Hawkeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Pete, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Sarich Fan View Post
If Dan Friggin Boyle finishes his check on Kunitz that 4th goal never happens and pehaps the Lightning get a point or more out of it. Boyle started riding him into the boards and then let up. The puck came off the boards, he got it back on his stick and threw it toward Denis like he is supposed to do. But if Dan Friggin Boyle finishes his check that doesn't happen.

The 5 on 3 was by far the most pathetic PP we have had all year and there is no excuse not to score there. Were was Ryan Craig? He sat on the damn bench the entire time. That was beyond pathetic.
I'll agree the PP absolutely stinks, but that was a terrible goal given up by Denis. Now way in Hell he should have come off the post. Doesn't matter what Danny did.

Hawkeye is offline  
Old
12-10-2006, 12:39 PM
  #53
OptimismRestrainer
Registered User
 
OptimismRestrainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: what, exactly?
Posts: 5,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I'll agree the PP absolutely stinks, but that was a terrible goal given up by Denis. Now way in Hell he should have come off the post. Doesn't matter what Danny did.

Point was if Danny had finished his check the puck never would have ended up at the post.

OptimismRestrainer is offline  
Old
12-10-2006, 04:37 PM
  #54
Hockeyfan02
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pistivity
Country: United States
Posts: 13,745
vCash: 500
Boyle did his job there. He forced Kunitz wide and behind the net so that he couldn't get a shot off. Marc's job is to hold the post and he didn't do that. That goal is all on Denis.

Hockeyfan02 is offline  
Old
12-10-2006, 05:18 PM
  #55
OptimismRestrainer
Registered User
 
OptimismRestrainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: what, exactly?
Posts: 5,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
Boyle did his job there. He forced Kunitz wide and behind the net so that he couldn't get a shot off. Marc's job is to hold the post and he didn't do that. That goal is all on Denis.
I respectfully disagree. You put your hands on a guy and guide him toward the boards, you ride him into the boards to take him out of the play. Boyle did NOT do his job.

One of the big problems with the Lightning this year is puck/man control in their own end, specifically behind their own goal line. He should have taken him into the boards. And hard.


Last edited by OptimismRestrainer: 12-10-2006 at 05:34 PM.
OptimismRestrainer is offline  
Old
12-10-2006, 06:44 PM
  #56
Hockeyfan02
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pistivity
Country: United States
Posts: 13,745
vCash: 500
I just think Marc is much more at fault for the goal. If he keeps his foot on the post, that play by Kunitz probably doesn't even result in a scoring chance. Instead, it winds up being a goal. That's a terrible goal. Boyle forced Kunitz behind the net and usually the play ends there. Should he have rode him in to the boards? Yeah, but Kunitz with just a desperate throwing the puck in front shouldn't have gone in. A goalie's job is to bail out his defense if they make a minor mistake like that. Not turn a harmless and desperate centering feed in to a goal. If you want to give Boyle some blame for that goal, I'm not going to argue with it...but the majority of the blame should go to Denis. That's not a play where the puck ends up in the back of the net.

Hockeyfan02 is offline  
Old
12-10-2006, 08:30 PM
  #57
IcePalace
 
IcePalace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Sarich Fan View Post
If Dan Friggin Boyle finishes his check on Kunitz that 4th goal never happens and pehaps the Lightning get a point or more out of it. Boyle started riding him into the boards and then let up. The puck came off the boards, he got it back on his stick and threw it toward Denis like he is supposed to do. But if Dan Friggin Boyle finishes his check that doesn't happen.

The 5 on 3 was by far the most pathetic PP we have had all year and there is no excuse not to score there. Were was Ryan Craig? He sat on the damn bench the entire time. That was beyond pathetic.

Every Lightning mistake last night resulted in a goal for the Ducks. It was a game that they really should have won, or at least came away with a point. FINISH YOUR CHECKS GUYS!
True, but we've been pretty terrible at 5 on 3s lately, and the Ducks really worked well on the penalty kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
I just think Marc is much more at fault for the goal. If he keeps his foot on the post, that play by Kunitz probably doesn't even result in a scoring chance. Instead, it winds up being a goal. That's a terrible goal. Boyle forced Kunitz behind the net and usually the play ends there. Should he have rode him in to the boards? Yeah, but Kunitz with just a desperate throwing the puck in front shouldn't have gone in. A goalie's job is to bail out his defense if they make a minor mistake like that. Not turn a harmless and desperate centering feed in to a goal. If you want to give Boyle some blame for that goal, I'm not going to argue with it...but the majority of the blame should go to Denis. That's not a play where the puck ends up in the back of the net.
I agree. Boyle should have cancelled him out, but Denis should have hugged that post for dear life. It's much more Denis' fault than Boyle's. A shot from behind the net should have ended up in the goal. Boyle took him enough out of the play not to get a clear shot on goal. It was Denis' fault.


Last edited by IcePalace: 12-10-2006 at 08:41 PM.
IcePalace is offline  
Old
12-11-2006, 03:54 PM
  #58
OptimismRestrainer
Registered User
 
OptimismRestrainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: what, exactly?
Posts: 5,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePalace View Post
True, but we've been pretty terrible at 5 on 3s lately, and the Ducks really worked well on the penalty kill.



I agree. Boyle should have cancelled him out, but Denis should have hugged that post for dear life. It's much more Denis' fault than Boyle's. A shot from behind the net should have ended up in the goal. Boyle took him enough out of the play not to get a clear shot on goal. It was Denis' fault.

Okay look, I'll agree that Denis should have held the post, no doubt about it. But if Boyle had played him the right way it wouldn't have mattered and we never would have known that he didn't have the post. How many times have we seen that same play and a guy circles around the net and gets of a decent centering pass? My point was this team does not finish their checks. There was no one else back there. Had Danny finished the damn check he probably could have skated away with the puck. But you guys just keep blaming pathetic fundemental defense on the goalie, go ahead.

Should Denis have had the post? Yes. But it shouldn't have come to that. And how many times this year has our goaltending bailed out our pathetic fundemental defense? We never talk about how the defense bailed the goaltending out, do we now?

OptimismRestrainer is offline  
Old
12-11-2006, 05:25 PM
  #59
IcePalace
 
IcePalace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Sarich Fan View Post
Okay look, I'll agree that Denis should have held the post, no doubt about it. But if Boyle had played him the right way it wouldn't have mattered and we never would have known that he didn't have the post. How many times have we seen that same play and a guy circles around the net and gets of a decent centering pass? My point was this team does not finish their checks. There was no one else back there. Had Danny finished the damn check he probably could have skated away with the puck. But you guys just keep blaming pathetic fundemental defense on the goalie, go ahead.

Should Denis have had the post? Yes. But it shouldn't have come to that. And how many times this year has our goaltending bailed out our pathetic fundemental defense? We never talk about how the defense bailed the goaltending out, do we now?
To answer your last question first, technically yes. Janik bailed us out with two saves, and where was Denis? Huh?

All kidding aside, looking at it from your way, to me, both errors were fundamental problems. If you have either one, no goal, but if you have both it results in a goal.

Boyle should have finished the check—and so should the rest of the D (that Ranger play still irks me) because we should hit more and harder—but Denis should have also held the post. You have persuaded me enough, but I'll never see it as either being at more fault than the other. Both messed up and it resulted in a goal.

IcePalace is offline  
Old
12-11-2006, 10:13 PM
  #60
Hockeyfan02
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pistivity
Country: United States
Posts: 13,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Sarich Fan View Post
But you guys just keep blaming pathetic fundemental defense on the goalie, go ahead.
I'm blaming Denis for not keeping his foot on the post like he should have. Nothing more. I have no idea why you think I'm blaming him for defensive errors.

Hockeyfan02 is offline  
Old
12-12-2006, 03:34 PM
  #61
OptimismRestrainer
Registered User
 
OptimismRestrainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: what, exactly?
Posts: 5,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
I'm blaming Denis for not keeping his foot on the post like he should have. Nothing more. I have no idea why you think I'm blaming him for defensive errors.

Okay.

OptimismRestrainer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.