HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2013, 01:18 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Lehkonen's team ****ing sucks.
Didn't help that Kapanen Jr. was out for a few games.

Old
10-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

hey guys whats the deal with J.Gregoire? his stats are amazing so far and he was one of the youngest players in the draft.. he isnt a smurf at 6'00'' why did he went so low? i mean there must be some kind of weakness in his game...

can some of you guys can inform me about him?

can he be a big steal in the draft?

Old
10-23-2013, 10:49 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
He's just starting to break out after almost two seasons of deep sleep. He was ranked 4th in the 2011 QMJHL draft after MacKinnon, Drouin and Duclair afterall.

His skating is what might prevent him from being a top 9 player in the NHL but apparently he has improved in this department.

Old
10-24-2013, 12:05 AM
EmelinHipCheck

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
He's just starting to break out after almost two seasons of deep sleep. He was ranked 4th in the 2011 QMJHL draft after MacKinnon, Drouin and Duclair afterall.

His skating is what might prevent him from being a top 9 player in the NHL but apparently he has improved in this department.
He also just turned 18 if i'm not mistaking. Plenty of time for him to polish his skills.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:48 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Finally got to see Leksand play, although I am working so I could only watch it here and there. DLR was on the 2nd line, LW. Leksand got smoked, could easily have been 6-1 or worse. Watching DLR he has good speed and moves well, going to be interesting to see how much he fills out over the next 5-7 years. His frame reminds me of Zubrus. He was a -2 on the night but the 2nd goal was from a bad line change and I don't think he even had time to reach the defensive zone before the goal was scored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsprospects View Post
Cichy played in the EJHL.
good catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
guessing if Gregoire keeps it up he could get a WJC camp invite?
I would be surprised but perhaps next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I'm thinking the same thing....

At least he's playing relatively well.
How has he looked in the games you've seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
hey guys whats the deal with J.Gregoire? his stats are amazing so far and he was one of the youngest players in the draft.. he isnt a smurf at 6'00'' why did he went so low? i mean there must be some kind of weakness in his game...

I know that from what I've been told, despite being a high draft pick in the Q, he didn't show much with the Sags but once he was traded things just started to click for him. Good on the Habs scouts to take a late round flyer on him as you can see he has some talent but also knows how to play the game as he appears to do the little things at least from the games I've seen (never saw him before this season though so I don't know what he looked like last year)

I don't know if I would say he can be a big steal of the draft or not, as it's very early in his development stage but it's always good to see a prospect breakout and he appears to be doing just that but we'll see how it continues to go for him.

Old
10-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

Greetings, Habs fans.

Was at the Giants game last night, thought I'd offer my opinion on Dalton Thrower.

He had a mixed bag of a game. On the one hand, the guy has some sick puckhandling skills. He moved the puck really well on the point on the PP, and he had one gorgeous rush where he deked two defenders out of their jockstraps and was in alone on goal before he was hooked down and drew a penalty.

That said, he had a tendency to be a bit too individualistic. He made a couple of other attempts at end to end rushes and turned the puck over at the opposing blueline at least twice by my count, one of which resulted in a 2-on-1 the other way.

There was also an incident at the end of regulation where he got suckered by a Hitmen skater, he punched him back, and then beaked off the referee when they were both going to get off-setting minors. The result was that he was given a misconduct and thusly was not available to his team for overtime.

I was also surprised to see he seemed to rely more on position to take the puck rather than laying on the body. He did it well, though.

10-24-2013, 03:45 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmelinHipCheck View Post
He also just turned 18 if i'm not mistaking. Plenty of time for him to polish his skills.
MacKinnon (09/01/95), Duclair (08/26/95) and Grégoire (09/05/95) are about the same age...

and they're almost a year younger than Mantha (09/16/94) !

Old
10-24-2013, 03:58 PM
FazChenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Greetings, Habs fans.

Was at the Giants game last night, thought I'd offer my opinion on Dalton Thrower.

He had a mixed bag of a game. On the one hand, the guy has some sick puckhandling skills. He moved the puck really well on the point on the PP, and he had one gorgeous rush where he deked two defenders out of their jockstraps and was in alone on goal before he was hooked down and drew a penalty.

That said, he had a tendency to be a bit too individualistic. He made a couple of other attempts at end to end rushes and turned the puck over at the opposing blueline at least twice by my count, one of which resulted in a 2-on-1 the other way.

There was also an incident at the end of regulation where he got suckered by a Hitmen skater, he punched him back, and then beaked off the referee when they were both going to get off-setting minors. The result was that he was given a misconduct and thusly was not available to his team for overtime.

I was also surprised to see he seemed to rely more on position to take the puck rather than laying on the body. He did it well, though.
Thanks for this. Im excited for Thrower if he has a good season he will prove that last year was just a bad year and it can happen to anyone.

If he keeps it up, Beaulieu, Nygren, Dietz and Thrower looks like a solid corp for the future and lets not forget abotu Subban.

Old
10-24-2013, 04:09 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Greetings, Habs fans.

I watched some of the game but fell asleep again (Giants are not a fun team to watch from what I've seen so far) I did see Thrower with a decent check early in the 1st but I do wonder if that's something the Habs have told him to be more careful with as I believe I heard he was told to focus on his defensive game and it seems like in the past he was too eager to go for the big hit when he should have been more focused on his defensive positioning.

Was hoping for a brother-brother fight though.

Old
10-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

Quote:

I was pulling for him, he was amazing in the playoffs last year. His game could really well translate in the NHL as a solid grinder. Fournier was also a great pick-up. Hopefully one of them will pan out.

Q scouts and the media covering the Q were all surprised he was still around. He was expected to go in the 3rd/4th round.

Read this : http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...160714449.html

Old
10-24-2013, 05:51 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazChenyuk View Post
Thanks for this. Im excited for Thrower if he has a good season he will prove that last year was just a bad year and it can happen to anyone.

If he keeps it up, Beaulieu, Nygren, Dietz and Thrower looks like a solid corp for the future and lets not forget abotu Subban.
Don't forget Tinordi either!

Old
10-24-2013, 05:54 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
Quote:
Greetings, Habs fans.
Thanks to you a whole lot. Always welcome whenever you have other reports on our players! Thanks!

Old
10-24-2013, 06:40 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Greetings, Habs fans.

Nice write up. Pretty much what he's been like the past year. On the last part, he's been working on that for a while now but he still has bite in his game.

EDIT: I see montreal has beat me to it

Old
10-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Thanks guys for the infos about Gregoire. Hopefully he turns out a bigger stronger more healthier Hudon...

Old
10-24-2013, 07:32 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Thanks guys for the infos about Gregoire. Hopefully he turns out a bigger stronger more healthier Hudon...
If he has Hudon's skill and humongous hockey sense than he'll be the biggest steal ever.

I haven't seen Gregoire but I doubt that's the case.

Old
10-24-2013, 08:20 PM
ChoseLa

Hudon is having a good sequence, he's now 16pts in 14 games.

Old
10-24-2013, 08:20 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Reway with three assists! Good to see him starting to put up some points. Vail with a goal and an assist.

Old
10-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
It looks like Grant overestimated McCarron's readiness to dominate the OHL as soon as this season. 5 points in 10 games now after being blanked tonight. I get that there's an adjustment period, but considering how well he played in our camp, he should be doing a lot better against teens.

Old
10-24-2013, 08:33 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
It looks like Grant overestimated McCarron's readiness to dominate the OHL as soon as this season. 5 points in 10 games now after being blanked tonight. I get that there's an adjustment period, but considering how well he played in our camp, he should be doing a lot better against teens.
He'll obviously get better as the season goes on but I can't for the life of me seeing him NHL ready by next year.

Old
10-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
He'll obviously get better as the season goes on but I can't for the life of me seeing him NHL ready by next year.
Hunter himself, before the season had started, said that he expect Big Mac to be at ease at mid-season.

Old
10-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Vi Nc E x13x

Quote:
He is also playing 3rd line if im not mistaken

Old
10-24-2013, 09:41 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Hunter himself, before the season had started, said that he expect Big Mac to be at ease at mid-season.
He'll most likely look better quicker than Tinordi did.

He could end the season without another point and I'll still be confident in this kid. I think he's going to be a doozy.

Old
10-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
He'll most likely look better quicker than Tinordi did.

He could end the season without another point and I'll still be confident in this kid. I think he's going to be a doozy.
He wasn't in my top 5 at draft day and yet, I also have a lot of confidence in him. You have to see him live to that he has abilities and he's just not a plugger.

Old
10-24-2013, 10:03 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He wasn't in my top 5 at draft day and yet, I also have a lot of confidence in him. You have to see him live to that he has abilities and he's just not a plugger.
Really shocked at how skilled he was and how well he skated. He's a lock imo.

Old
10-24-2013, 10:03 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
I never said McCarron would step into the OHL and dominate points wise. Remember Tinordi's first few months in LDN? There's an adjustment period, and the Hunters don't throw rookies to the wolves no matter how highly touted. In fact - I was one of the ones tempering some folks' assertions that he'd have to get at least a ppg to be considered to be progressing as expected if he hopes to ever be a top 6 NHL winger.

It's never going to be all about points with McCarron...there's going to be a lot more to his game. You don't just step into the OHL and light it up offensively as a rookie unless you're a specially gifted offensive player...that's not McCarron.

What impressed me the most with McCarron at Habs training camp was his all around game, and he's displayed that with London as well. I'm more than happy with his progress to date..he fought one of the OHL's tough guys and more than held his own, he's throwing hard checks and sticking up for teammates, yet he's not running around like a chicken with his head cut off and talking silly penalties. He's set up some nice goals, he's camping out in front of the opponent's net and bugging the goalie when other players score goals....he's part of a winning team that will be going to the Memorial Cup, and progressing just fine I think.

Closed Thread