HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Wanting to learn more about the game

Old
10-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Schwarzenegger

vCash: 500
Wanting to learn more about the game

Hello HF Community!

I've been a long time lurker, have had a few accounts on emails that are long and forgotten.

Basically I want to learn more about the game. I have a basic knowledge, I've followed the game from many years. Know a lot of facts and stats but want to widen my knowledge.

Everything from:

Strategy (Offense, Defence, What to look for while watching, assessing players talents)
Economics of hockey (How Contracts and Salaries work)

The best books/online resources/documentaries/movies on hockey regarding:
History of the NHL
Autobiographies
Stories about Players and Personalities
Summit Series', Canada Cups, World Championships and Olympics (Important Games or Rivalrys)
Dead Puck Era
Mario Lemieux
Expansion (Any period)
Scouting prospects
CHL
Comparing past eras to the current game
Bobby Orr
Wayne Gretzky
Russian's in the NHL
80s Oilers
Montreal Canadiens (Why were they so good)
Toronto Maple Leafs
NHL Scandals
Conn Smythe
Original 6
Gordie Howe
Maurice Richard
Top Managers/Gms
Top Coaches
Noteable World Junior Championships

And essentially anything considered a must read or must know. I don't expect one person to answer all the questions but if a few people can give me a good place to start with any of these subjects (some I'm sure can be grouped) then it would be appreciated and may make a good resource for future members! Basically what every fan of the NHL/Hockey should know

Schwarzenegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 10:57 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
Alex Kovalev once had a 7 minute shift in the NHL.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:03 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
Drum roll please!!!

I'm no genius compared to the likes of Killion or Big Phil on this side of the board but a whole encyclopedia of information just opened from all those topics read like an entire glimpse of the history of Hockey lool.

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:23 PM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Books to recommend:

Ken Dryden, "The Game". Dryden talks about his experiences with the late 70s Montreal dynasty and uses that as a starting point to branch into other topics (a lot of it is about Quebec politics and French/English relations).

K. Dryden and R. MacGregor "Home Game". Divided into a few sections each of which explores an aspect of what hockey means to Canada. NHL prospects trying to make it to the big show, the Canada/Russia international rivalry, etc. There's also some interesting insights (for instance, they talk about how the juniors system is biased and favours players born in earlier months of the year).

Dave Bidini "Tropic of Hockey". The author takes a trip around the world and plays/watches hockey in some very non-traditional parts of the world (e.g. Hong Kong, Mongolia, Romania)

Dan Diamond and James Duplacey "Total Hockey". Pretty much the ultimate encyclopedia of hockey.

Lawrence Martin "The Red Machine". Covers the rise of the USSR as a hockey power and the great international battles of the 70s and 80s from a Soviet perspective.

Tal Pinchevsky "Breakaway". About the defectors (the Soviet and Czech hockey players who illegally immigrated to play in the NHL) including the Stastny brothers and Nedomansky.

Russ Conway "Game Misconduct". Covers the darker side of the NHL business, looking at Alan Eagleson from his rise to NHLPA leadership until his imprisonment.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:33 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
Hello HF Community!.... And essentially anything considered a must read or must know. I don't expect one person to answer all the questions but if a few people can give me a good place to start with any of these subjects (some I'm sure can be grouped) then it would be appreciated and may make a good resource for future members! Basically what every fan of the NHL/Hockey should know
Woo! Thats quite the shopping list there Schwarzenegger. Dont even know where to begin. A lot of reading ahead my friend.... and I think perhaps the best place to start would be with the book Net Worth by Cruise & Griffiths. That'll give you a detailed and in-depth understanding of how the NHL was created & formed, who the key players were on & off the ice through the 20th & into the early 21st Century (book came out in the late 80's).... Conn Smythes bio, If you Cant Beat Them in the Alley is another must read, as is Ken Drydens The Game, Bobby Orr's new book... well, there are dozens of them, books about the PCHA, the Habs, Eddie Shore & That Old Time Hockey, just on & on. But for starters? Net Worth. Movie of the same name came out in the 90's I believe, CBC production. But read the book. Far more expansive.... also a Thread here called Hockey Books. Check that out. Lots of great suggestions, wonderful worlds to explore.... and welcome to hf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
I'm no genius compared to the likes of Killion...
Un huh. And what naughtiness have you gotten up to or might be contemplating that you'd be making so flowery a compliment habsrule?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 01:45 AM
robwangjing

Quote:
Strategy (Offense, Defence, What to look for while watching
This would interest me as well, to learn more about strategies. Both European/Russian and North American.

Preferably free online.

robwangjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 02:05 AM
Canadiens1958

The Trail of the Stanley Cup

The Trail of the Stanley Cup by Charles S. Coleman, all three volumes would provide a foundation for the 1893-1967 era.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 02:25 AM
VMBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
Lawrence Martin "The Red Machine". Covers the rise of the USSR as a hockey power and the great international battles of the 70s and 80s from a Soviet perspective.
Would love to get my hands on that, but e.g. in Amazon.com, the cheapest buying option is 107.85 USD for a used copy and whopping 469.33 USD for a new one http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all

New edition maybe some time in the near future, hopefully, possibly?

Last edited by VMBM: 10-25-2013 at 03:25 AM.
VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 04:07 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwangjing View Post
This would interest me as well, to learn more about strategies. Both European/Russian and North American.

Preferably free online.
Yeah, i think this is well needed. There are loads of people out there actually thinking strategy is not very strong in hockey, when in fact teams plays very structured as asked by their coach.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 04:47 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
Would love to get my hands on that, but e.g. in Amazon.com, the cheapest buying option is 107.85 USD for a used copy and whopping 469.33 USD for a new one http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all

Have you checked Amazon.ca?

Franck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 06:37 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
....and didn't break a sweat.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 07:22 AM
the edler
Inimitable

Quote:
Noteable World Junior Championships
1989 in Anchorage, Alaska was a noteable World Junior Championship as it starred many great 90s russian and american players. It somehow foresaw the 90s culture change in the NHL with many good russian and american players, and one can say it also foresaw the 1996 World Cup, although Roenick wasn't even on the 96 team. Soviet rocked a line with Mogilny, Fedorov and Bure, and also had Sergei Zubov on defense. Bure played on the left wing and won best forward honors although he was only 17 years old and a first year player.

Team USA had the highest scoring line in the tournament though with Modano, Roenick and LeClair, who assembled 41 points combined. The team also included Amonte and Guerin, but the US team only finished at 5th place in the tournament.

Canada didn't have a very good team and finished 4th, and no real superstar material players. Players on the team who later made a splash in the NHL were solid to be guys like Desjardins, Brind' Amour, Ricci, Cassels and Gelinas. Best scorer on the team was Rob Cimetta with 7 goals and 11 points in 7 games.

WJHC History (4th) – 1989

For Finland Selänne had 10 points, 5 goals and 5 assists, in 7 games in 1989. Jagr made his debut the next year in 1990 with 18 points in 7 games. Lindros had 4 goals and 0 assists in 7 games in 1990 but improved to 17 points in 7 games in 1991.

Sweden came along in 1992 with 4 of the top scorers in Nylander, Forsberg, Näslund and Renberg. In 1993 Forsberg crushed the charts with 31 points in 7 games. 10 of those points came in a game against Japan though.

At this time, 1989–1993, all of the european countries showed great players and although Canada won three of the five tournaments in that time span it made for a more levelled playing field later at the senior level through the 90s and into the 00s. Canadian soon to be star players on those early 90s teams were, except from Lindros, Scott Niedermayer, Paul Kariya and Chris Pronger.

Last edited by the edler: 10-25-2013 at 07:27 AM.
the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 07:37 AM
Yurog

Quote:
Ryan Walter- Hockey Plays and Strategies
http://klmfk.ru/books/Ryan%20Walter....Strategies.pdf

About scouting:
Shane Malloy-Art of scouting (highlighted the distinctive features of NHL players)
http://klmfk.ru/books/Shane%20Malloy...20Scouting.pdf

Yurog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Schwarzenegger

Wow, Thanks for the overwhelming responses guys. Was not expecting. Always knew this was an awesome community though.

Schwarzenegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Big Phil

It is a trip down memory lane every time I come on this board, and I am glad there are people who know and love the game like I do that can have relevant conversations. Keep coming on here and you'll learn your history fast, trust me.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 02:40 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

In all honesty, you'll learn the most by just sticking around HF and engaging in conversation. Some of the forumers here are remarkably well-versed and there's a thread on just about anything you can imagine.

Heck, the History forum alone covers most of those subjects on a regular basis. I think it's safe to say we have all learned a lot from each other.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

One of the best books I've ever read (or own) is Road to Olympus by Tarasov. Great read. I would also recommend The Game by Dryden. Also, these are MUST sees:

Hockey - A People's History

Legends of Hockey DVDs

1987 Canada Cup

1972 Summit Series

Net Worth

Boxscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post

I may have two copies of this book. If I do, you can have one. I'll check this weekend.

Old
10-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
..I think it's safe to say we have all learned a lot from each other.
Indeed.... from you tarheel I learned that the Best American Southern Soul Restaurant
in The Triangle's a place called Watts Grocery.. on Broad in Durham. Who knew?

Last edited by Killion: 10-25-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old
10-25-2013, 03:54 PM
thom

Lions in winter a great book about history of habs published in 1986.And a book by Dick irvin Jr about his hockey life and his dad and players.And a Howie Meeker book called stop it there back it up all 3 are good historical books.

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Lions in winter a great book about history of habs published in 1986.And a book by Dick irvin Jr about his hockey life and his dad and players.And a Howie Meeker book called stop it there back it up all 3 are good historical books.
Yes it is.... great book. so is Overtime by Guy Lafleur.

Old
10-25-2013, 06:56 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Indeed.... from you tarheel I learned that the Best American Southern Soul Restaurant
in The Triangle's a place called Watts Grocery.. on Broad in Durham. Who knew?
Wait, what? I didn't even know that

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 07:00 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Wait, what? I didn't even know that
.... well there ya go. Learn something new everyday... oh, and I'd recommend reservations.

Old
10-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
....and didn't break a sweat.
...and scored at the end of it.

Eisen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Gumballthechewy
Chew On Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
One of the best books I've ever read (or own) is Road to Olympus by Tarasov. Great read. I would also recommend The Game by Dryden. Also, these are MUST sees:

Hockey - A People's History

Legends of Hockey DVDs

1987 Canada Cup

1972 Summit Series

Net Worth
I bought the '72 Series on DVD (not the one you posted, I don't think, different cover anyway) a couple years ago, hands down the best money I've ever spent on anything hockey related.

Gumballthechewy is offline   Reply With Quote