Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

Week 8

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2013, 11:18 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Glennon trying to pull a Carson Palmer here.

Old
10-24-2013, 11:19 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 500
I hate Thursday night games in general. The teams suck and it kills teams schedules

Old
10-24-2013, 11:22 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Keep firing those cannons.

Old
10-24-2013, 11:23 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Why is Rivera *****ing at someone every time they show him? You're winning the game, relax.

Old
10-24-2013, 11:29 PM
Faxius

MNF and TNF were two of the worst games I've seen in a long time

Old
10-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Can't remember the last time everyone, especially the media, was against a coach like this. Maybe McHoodie? Childress? Even those weren't as bad as this though.

Schiano needs to go.

Old
10-24-2013, 11:45 PM
TBLightningFan

Send a message via AIM to TBLightningFan Send a message via MSN to TBLightningFan
That stadium was unruly from the get go. That coach can't possibly make it another week.

Old
10-24-2013, 11:59 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Can't remember the last time everyone, especially the media, was against a coach like this. Maybe McHoodie? Childress? Even those weren't as bad as this though.

Schiano needs to go.
To be fair, the guy is most likely a terrible person, and there's even a decent chance that he's a psychopath, so this is probably as deserved as it gets

Old
10-25-2013, 12:09 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Greg Schiano is so fired

Old
10-25-2013, 12:13 AM
aleshemsky83

Cam Newton was the biggest "this guy will be a huge bust" consensus player in a long time, it's nice to see him blowing up with insane efficiency to go with wins(though he should be 6-1 this year if not for some losses against a bad team in buffalo and a horrendous one in the cardinals), especially since so much of the criticism was obviously racial imo

Old
10-25-2013, 12:22 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
Cam Newton was the biggest "this guy will be a huge bust" consensus player in a long time, it's nice to see him blowing up with insane efficiency to go with wins(though he should be 6-1 this year if not for some losses against a bad team in buffalo and a horrendous one in the cardinals), especially since so much of the criticism was obviously racial imo
And that game they blew vs Sea.

Old
10-25-2013, 12:43 AM
dma0034

Quote:
If Buffalo was completely healthy all year long they'd be a 6-1 team. Every game has been decided by the final drive so don't under-estimate them (or the Jets for that matter too).

Old
10-25-2013, 02:31 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
lolwut? Are you serious with this?

Old
10-25-2013, 02:56 AM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
lolwut? Are you serious with this?
Now, now, settle down, no need to pull out the laughing smily so soon.

Anyways I'm definitely serious, especially considering Nolan Nawrockis recent history of attacking the character of black quarterbacks, through anonymous sources and things like "a fake smile" and then refusing to answer for it.

Then there was the criticisms of Cam not coming from a pro style offense when Sam Bradford had come from the spread and broken the completion record just the prior year, his "one good year" which was one of the best ever and an assortment of other nonsense, comparisons to Jamarcus Russell(this was after Jamarcus had blown through 30 million and became a 300 pound codeine junkie) pretty much confirmed it, especially since him and Jamarcus played nothing alike. They're both black 6'5 and wore 2, that's about it.

Edit: I apologize I should have said "racially motivated" not "racial"

Last edited by aleshemsky83: 10-25-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old
10-25-2013, 04:37 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Now, now, settle down, no need to pull out the laughing smily so soon.

Anyways I'm definitely serious, especially considering Nolan Nawrockis recent history of attacking the character of black quarterbacks, through anonymous sources and things like "a fake smile" and then refusing to answer for it.

Then there was the criticisms of Cam not coming from a pro style offense when Sam Bradford had come from the spread and broken the completion record just the prior year, his "one good year" which was one of the best ever and an assortment of other nonsense, comparisons to Jamarcus Russell(this was after Jamarcus had blown through 30 million and became a 300 pound codeine junkie) pretty much confirmed it, especially since him and Jamarcus played nothing alike. They're both black 6'5 and wore 2, that's about it.

Edit: I apologize I should have said "racially motivated" not "racial"
Sounds more coincidental than racial. There are a lot more black QBs in the NFL now than there used to be.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:29 AM
Guy

Old
10-25-2013, 09:54 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Yeah RG3 and Wilson never got criticized like Cam. It had nothing to do with race and everything to do with his clearly arrogant nature.

Old
10-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Novacane
LOCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Yeah RG3 and Wilson never got criticized like Cam. It had nothing to do with race and everything to do with his clearly arrogant nature.
And maybe also the father money issues at Auburn.

Old
10-25-2013, 11:21 AM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Russell Wilson was widely considered a career backup, so I'm not sure about that, Bill Polian was comparing him to Seneca Wallace(wtf?), teams that needed a qb at the time were leaking these idiotic "we were going to take him in the fourth round" stories after he became a star to make themselves look competent.

RGIII was drafted where he was because of Cam Newton. If Cam had failed then it would have looked bad for RGIII

Jamarcus made Cam look bad and they're complete opposites in almost everyway, Jesus Christ Jamarcus can barely speak English,

I think NFL gms do play into stereotypes, it's why Geno Smith "could run the option" when he had about 100 rushing yards in college and why Andrew Luck was not considered a running quarterback when he had the exact same measurables as Cam Newton

Last edited by aleshemsky83: 10-25-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old
10-25-2013, 11:50 AM
billsoilers

This Panthers team is really good.
Call me crazy, but i think the super bowl is them against KC.

Old
10-25-2013, 12:40 PM
JCD

Quote:
Russell Wilson was widely considered a career backup, so I'm not sure about that, Bill Polian was comparing him to Seneca Wallace, wtf

RGIII was drafted where he was because of Cam Newton. If Cam had failed then it would have looked bad for RGIII

Jamarcus made Cam look bad and they're complete opposites in almost everyway, Jesus Christ Jamarcus can barely speak English,

I think NFL gms do play into stereotypes, it's why Geno Smith "could run the option" when he had about 100 rushing yards in college and why Andrew Luck was not considered a running quarterback when he had the exact same measurables as Cam Newton
This is wrong on so many levels.

Black QBs have been drafted high for several decades now. As have "running" ones. Newton is not a groundbreaker in any way. Cam's success or failure had no bearing on RGIII, teams have had no problems drafting athletic QBs high (regardless of race) for decades.

Luck's athleticism was/is absolutely praised. He is actually one of the best scrambling QBs in the game. More so, there have been other white running QBs long before Luck (Young tops the list, but also have guys like Gannon as well). Black QBs do not have the market cornered on running QBs. Nor are all black QBs runners.

Wilson was questioned coming out primarily due to his size. He is well under the ideal height for a QB... and the exact same height as Seneca Wallace. Like Wallace, he is a good athlete, hence the comparison.

JaMarcus's failure had zero impact on Newton. The two have absolutely nothing in common. JaMarcus was more like Ryan Leaf than anything else. If anybody tarnished Cam's opportunity it would be Vince Young. Another top-end athlete who played a simplified system in college who may-or-may-not be able to pick up the more complex NFL systems (Young's emotional immaturity being a completely separate issue).

Old
10-25-2013, 01:05 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
This is wrong on so many levels.

Black QBs have been drafted high for several decades now. As have "running" ones. Newton is not a groundbreaker in any way. Cam's success or failure had no bearing on RGIII, teams have had no problems drafting athletic QBs high (regardless of race) for decades.

Luck's athleticism was/is absolutely praised. He is actually one of the best scrambling QBs in the game. More so, there have been other white running QBs long before Luck (Young tops the list, but also have guys like Gannon as well). Black QBs do not have the market cornered on running QBs. Nor are all black QBs runners.

Wilson was questioned coming out primarily due to his size. He is well under the ideal height for a QB... and the exact same height as Seneca Wallace. Like Wallace, he is a good athlete, hence the comparison.

JaMarcus's failure had zero impact on Newton. The two have absolutely nothing in common. JaMarcus was more like Ryan Leaf than anything else. If anybody tarnished Cam's opportunity it would be Vince Young. Another top-end athlete who played a simplified system in college who may-or-may-not be able to pick up the more complex NFL systems (Young's emotional immaturity being a completely separate issue).
believe it or not I was reading these boards around that time and there was quite a few Russell comparisons on here, the comparisons were there outside these boards as well

There are white running qbs, I agree, they just aren't called running qbs.

Russell Wilson's size was definitely a question mark, no debating about that, but compare the college production of Russell Wilson and Seneca Wallace and you will feel pretty silly, why not compare him to Doug Flutie or another short athletic qb that might not have brown skin?

I know black qbs get drafted high, but race does affect how they are perceived

Last edited by aleshemsky83: 10-25-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old
10-25-2013, 01:44 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Alex Smith has some wheels and can't Rodgers move when he wants to? Not every white QB is as unathletic as the Mannings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsoilers View Post
This Panthers team is really good.
Call me crazy, but i think the super bowl is them against KC.
While they are playing better and the defense is definitely underrated, their wins are over NY Giants, Minnesota, St. Louis and Tampa. Even though they should have beaten Seattle and Buffalo, they didn't. I like the change in the Rivera lately, becoming less conservative, but he's still a below average coach. And that secondary is being propped up by a fantastic front 7. I'd be thrilled if they just made it to the playoffs this year.

Old
10-25-2013, 02:03 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Alex Smith has some wheels and can't Rodgers move when he wants to? Not every white QB is as unathletic as the Mannings.
Never said anything to the contrary. Anywhere between a 4.5-4.7 40 is decent for a qb

Old
10-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Nazem Bozak

I'm being serious here Cam > RW & RG3

Last edited by Nazem Bozak: 10-25-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Closed Thread