HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread VIII: "The makeup has to be jigged"

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2013, 02:00 AM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by punz101 View Post
Oilers need a huge makeover. Its clear Yak is not meshing well with our other young guns. Realistically we can not afford to keep all the young guys here and have a well rounded team with depth when all our money is tied up in six players. Hence my trade suggestions. We have to give up a lot to get what we need.

To Philly: Yakupov, Hemsky, Belov, 2nd round pick in 2014.
To EDM: Simmonds, Couturier, Brayden Coburn.

To Phoenix: Ganger, Klefbom,N.Shultz 1st overall pick 2014.
To EDM: OEL

To Toronto : Jeff Petry, 1st round pick 2015.
To EDM: Franson....Signed for 3 more years

Hall - Nuge - Simmonds
Perron - Courturier - Eberle
Smyth - Gordon - Jones
Gazdic - Arco - Joensuu/Pitlick

OEL Coburn
Smid Franson
Ferrence Schultz

Dubnyk
Labarbera
Okay what? I would not trade Petry straight up for Franson never mind adding a first round pick. I do not see how Franson is an upgrade on Petry at all.

Old
10-25-2013, 02:02 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Oilers need a huge makeover. Its clear Yak is not meshing well with our other young guns. Realistically we can not afford to keep all the young guys here and have a well rounded team with depth when all our money is tied up in six players. Hence my trade suggestions. We have to give up a lot to get what we need.

To EDM: Franson....Signed for 3 more years

Hall - Nuge - Simmonds
Smyth - Gordon - Jones

OEL Coburn
Smid Franson
Ferrence Schultz

Dubnyk
Labarbera
petry and a first rounder or Franson? he is not that good-- He is just the latest D man in TO that look good in TO buck suck elsewhere

Old
10-25-2013, 02:05 AM
punz101

vCash: 500
sorry for Dion forgot to edit that...woops

Old
10-25-2013, 03:37 AM
duul

vCash: 50
Posted this on the main board. Costs us a ton but I'd say makes us a way better team overall. A playoff team, at least.

Hall
Eberle
Petry
1st rounder 2014 (probably top 5)

for

Keith
Bickell
Saad
Rantaa/Whitney

Perron-RNH-Yakupov
Bickell-Gagner-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gordon-Saad
Gazdic-Arcobello-Eager

Keith-J.Schultz
Ference-Belov
Smid-Larsen
N.Schultz

Dubnyk
Labarbera/Raanta

Our top 9 is still outstanding and actually more balanced to play a playoff/gritty game. Our defence improves immensely with the addition of one of the best D in the game. Adding Keith is what turns us from a bottom feeder to a playoff team IMO. Not to mention we get a great goaltending prospect in Raanta.

Last edited by duul: 10-25-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old
10-25-2013, 07:54 AM
Kulleroinen
Oilers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Posted this on the main board. Costs us a ton but I'd say makes us a way better team overall. A playoff team, at least.

Hall
Eberle
Petry

for

Keith
Bickell
Saad
Rantaa/Whitney

Perron-RNH-Yakupov
Bickell-Gagner-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gordon-Saad
Gazdic-Arcobello-Eager

Keith-J.Schultz
Ference-Petry
Smid-Belov
N.Schultz

Dubnyk
Labarbera/Raanta

Our top 9 is still outstanding and actually more balanced to play a playoff/gritty game. Our defence improves immensely with the addition of one of the best D in the game. Adding Keith is what turns us from a bottom feeder to a playoff team IMO. Not to mention we get a great goaltending prospect in Raanta.
Uhh. No thanks. :O

Old
10-25-2013, 08:07 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:

Hall
Eberle
Petry

for

Keith
Bickell
Saad
Rantaa/Whitney

Perron-RNH-Yakupov
Bickell-Gagner-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gordon-Saad
Gazdic-Arcobello-Eager

Keith-J.Schultz
Ference-Petry
Smid-Belov
N.Schultz

Dubnyk
Labarbera/Raanta

This deal makes me want to jump from the high level. Stupid awful.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:15 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:

To EDM: Dion Phaneuf
Hall - Nuge - Simmonds
Smyth - Gordon - Jones

OEL Coburn
Smid Phaneuf
Ferrence Schultz

Dubnyk
Labarbera
Tired tropes followed by a horrible trade proposal? You can always tell when the Oilers lost last night.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I totally agree with you, players that we just don't move are:
Hall, RNH, Eberle, Perron, J.Schultz, Petry.

We need a nucleus of players and these young player are just too valuable. We have plenty of other pieces to move to improve our team:
Gagner, Arco, Hemsky, Yak, 2014 1st, and dmen to upgrade our defensemen.

The question I have for you guys when Hall is back and if and that is a big if, everyone is healthy how do we run our lines. Arco has proven himself so far on this team. He is a lot better than Gagner on the faceoff, better defensively and is producing. The way Hemsky is playing what do we do with him keep him and play him in the top 9 or move him for assets whether it is picks and prospects or keep him and he signs with another team next year. If he stays healthy and is producing I would just hate to waste an asset like him.
Good question. I've been pondering that one myself for the last few days. That's going to be a fairly tough decision.

Go figure that we are in a position when Gags gets back that we have too much depth at center to keep them all.

I'm really really liking Arco's game right now. He's almost looking like a keeper. Maybe it's time we forget about where the player was picked, and just kind of watch the game he's playing.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:51 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Good question. I've been pondering that one myself for the last few days. That's going to be a fairly tough decision.

Go figure that we are in a position when Gags gets back that we have too much depth at center to keep them all.

I'm really really liking Arco's game right now. He's almost looking like a keeper. Maybe it's time we forget about where the player was picked, and just kind of watch the game he's playing.
You can never have too much depth at center. Moving one guy to the wing would b e the best option for this team. Having 5 centers dressed for a game isn't unheard of.

Old
10-25-2013, 09:14 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
You can never have too much depth at center. Moving one guy to the wing would b e the best option for this team. Having 5 centers dressed for a game isn't unheard of.
I agree. I'm just not sure how Gagner or Arco would perform on the wing. Gags has played C pretty much his entire NHL career, and I do not know enough about Arcobello to suggest he might be a good fit on the wing.

Old
10-25-2013, 09:32 AM
shogun99

I love how after a loss the boards blow up with Oiler trade proposals. This team is getting there, we're a good goalie, a veteran signing or two and trading one of Eberle or Yakupov (most likely Yak) away from becoming a really good team. This season will eventually balance out and we'll finish between 7-10 in the conference. Losing RNH, Gagner and now Hall has really hurt us.

Old
10-25-2013, 09:53 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I agree. I'm just not sure how Gagner or Arco would perform on the wing. Gags has played C pretty much his entire NHL career, and I do not know enough about Arcobello to suggest he might be a good fit on the wing.
Personally I'd do a trial an error first. I don't know that Arco is good enough to be a long-term solution at this point, so I wouldn't trade Gagner. I also don't think Arco has a whole lot of vaule at this point either, so no point in dealing him.

Truth be told Acton to the PB or OKC is what I do first.

Old
10-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I love how after a loss the boards blow up with Oiler trade proposals. This team is getting there, we're a good goalie, a veteran signing or two and trading one of Eberle or Yakupov (most likely Yak) away from becoming a really good team. This season will eventually balance out and we'll finish between 7-10 in the conference. Losing RNH, Gagner and now Hall has really hurt us.
Yeah and those moves will be oh so easy to make. In other words we are a LONG ways off from being any good at all.

Old
10-25-2013, 09:59 AM
shogun99

I'm also tired of this let's roll with three scoring lines garbage. We've been doing that since 2007 and it never works. We already have Gordon, who's a pretty good shutdown center, now let's go out and get a shutdown LW and RW. We don;t have the capabilities to go 1st line vrs 1st line against certain teams. Plus the teams that we can go head to head against always put their shutdown line against our top line.

Old
10-25-2013, 10:01 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I'm also tired of this let's roll with three scoring lines garbage. We've been doing that since 2007 and it never works. We already have Gordon, who's a pretty good shutdown center, now let's go out and get a shutdown LW and RW. We don;t have the capabilities to go 1st line vrs 1st line against certain teams. Plus the teams that we can go head to head against always put their shutdown line against our top line.
We've never had the personal to run 3 scoring lines, that's why it never worked in the past.

Old
10-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
If you don't like a post, discuss the merits of the post, and not the poster. Lets keep this civil.

10-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Pros and Cons

Quote:

Hall
Eberle
Petry

for

Keith
Bickell
Saad
Rantaa/Whitney

Perron-RNH-Yakupov
Bickell-Gagner-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gordon-Saad
Gazdic-Arcobello-Eager

Keith-J.Schultz
Ference-Belov
Smid-Larsen
N.Schultz

Dubnyk
Labarbera/Raanta

Duncan Keith from 8 years ago and take out the Oilers first rounder and make it a Chicago first rounder....

Old
10-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:

Hall
Eberle
Petry

for

Keith
Bickell
Saad
Rantaa/Whitney

Perron-RNH-Yakupov
Bickell-Gagner-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gordon-Saad
Gazdic-Arcobello-Eager

Keith-J.Schultz
Ference-Belov
Smid-Larsen
N.Schultz

Dubnyk
Labarbera/Raanta

Yuck. I'd rather trade Yakupov and Hall over Eberle any day. Eberle is a better player now and will be consistent game in game out. Even keeping Hall is a better choice because he is exactly what we need now.

Old
10-25-2013, 10:31 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Hall and N.Schultz for Lucic, Kelly and Boychuk?

Old
10-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
Hall and N.Schultz for Lucic, Kelly and Boychuk?
I doubt Boston would ever trade Lucic. If you watch the Bruins right now he's their best player... and that says a lot when you have a team with Iggy, Bergeron and Krejci.

Lucic is making a strong case for the Olympic team. Even on big ice.

Old
10-25-2013, 10:45 AM
misfit

Quote:

Hall
Eberle
Petry

for

Keith
Bickell
Saad
Rantaa/Whitney

Perron-RNH-Yakupov
Bickell-Gagner-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gordon-Saad
Gazdic-Arcobello-Eager

Keith-J.Schultz
Ference-Belov
Smid-Larsen
N.Schultz

Dubnyk
Labarbera/Raanta

- So you take our best player, and 1st line LW, and replace him with Bickell. A 2nd line LW.
- Then you take our 2nd best player and top line RW and replace him with Saad, who you put on the 3rd line.
- You make up for those two major downgrades by taking our best defenseman off the top pair and replacing him with Keith, also on the top pairing.
- Then, after taking two steps back to take one forward, you top it all off by giving up a 1st round pick (which you expect will be in the top 5) for a guy who you apparently can't decide whether or not he's better than our current backup goaltender.

Keith would have to be the 2nd coming of Bobby Orr for that to be an improvement.

The deal might make us bigger (it adds 3' and 59lbs not including the goalie), but I fail to see how it makes us better.

10-25-2013, 05:00 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
also MacT should probably focus on goal if the losses keep piling up as I doubt the FA's come here if we're a bottom feeder (PHI, STL, CGY, NYR will get first pick)...so that is one trade I could accept. A good/promising young (AHL) goalie.

Old
10-25-2013, 05:24 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Petry and a first for Franson?

That is nightmare bad. Yikes.

Old
10-25-2013, 05:40 PM
40oz

Quote:
@Aportzline 2m
Former #CBJ GM Scott Howson in the house. Scouting for the #Oilers, for whom he's asst. GM. @EdmontonOilers
Lots to like on the Columbus roster

Old
10-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Lots to like on the Columbus roster
Dubinsky

Closed Thread