HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Do we really want to make playoffs?

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2013, 08:30 AM
Gustavo Fring
Analytics R4 nerds

vCash: 500
Read this article, very depressing. Basically if you are not within four points by November 1st your season really is over.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...ly-in-nhl.html

Old
10-25-2013, 08:33 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
The Oilers are quite the basket case aren't they? Is there another franchise whose best players are either injury prone, soft, hockey dumb or just selfish than Edmonton's. RNH has a physique rivalling Marilyn Manson only RNH is shorter and he's signed to a "set for life" contract of $6 mill a year for 7/8 years; Hall has raw talent but little hockey sense; note his disastrous tryout at playing centre ice; Justin Schultz is too soft and fragile to be an effective NHL Dman and Yakupov just wants to skate around and shoot the puck (KHL is already calling!). They're on their way to an another lottery pick already. Calgary has already surpassed them on their rebuild

One of the posts from the link.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
The Oilers are quite the basket case aren't they? Is there another franchise whose best players are either injury prone, soft, hockey dumb or just selfish than Edmonton's. RNH has a physique rivalling Marilyn Manson only RNH is shorter and he's signed to a "set for life" contract of $6 mill a year for 7/8 years; Hall has raw talent but little hockey sense; note his disastrous tryout at playing centre ice; Justin Schultz is too soft and fragile to be an effective NHL Dman and Yakupov just wants to skate around and shoot the puck (KHL is already calling!). They're on their way to an another lottery pick already. Calgary has already surpassed them on their rebuild

One of the posts from the link.
Any particular reason you decided to repeat that drivel?

Old
10-25-2013, 09:16 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Any particular reason you decided to repeat that drivel?
It is not far from the truth. Imagining in your mind that the oilers are going to be good doesn't mean they are. They have been a MONUMENTAL disappointment so far this year. The usual legion of excuses roll out just like every year....oh it's the goaltending....oh coach in his 1st year.....oh injuries...

None of that crap means a thing at this point in time. If this team keeps going as they are trending they will be essentially out of the playoffs by 1/4 through the season and that would be just a colossal fail.

Old
10-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
It is not far from the truth. Imagining in your mind that the oilers are going to be good doesn't mean they are. They have been a MONUMENTAL disappointment so far this year. The usual legion of excuses roll out just like every year....oh it's the goaltending....oh coach in his 1st year.....oh injuries...
So wait: you don't think any of those are legitimate factors in the team's performance?

Quote:
None of that crap means a thing at this point in time. If this team keeps going as they are trending they will be essentially out of the playoffs by 1/4 through the season and that would be just a colossal fail
My read on the preseason expectations was that the Oilers would be hard pressed to make the playoffs at all. So I'm not seeing the fail here.

Old
10-25-2013, 09:45 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Fring View Post
Read this article, very depressing. Basically if you are not within four points by November 1st your season really is over.

Wow. We only have 3 games left and are currently 7 points out of a playoff spot. Not looking good.

We play Phoenix, Los Angeles and Toronto in the next 3 games. Phoenix and LA are both at 14 points and a loss to either one of them would put us 9 points back.

Unless we go 2-1 it's time to pack in the bags boys.

Old
10-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Playa Hejda

vCash: 117
We've seen this dance before, there will be a furious drive at some point this season to get the Oilers back into the playoff conversation. It'll probably fizzle out just after the majority of us tiered fans start to believe and the cycle will start again. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. If we're lucky maybe the team will bottom out for real this time and the real organizational rot can be identified and fixed.

Old
10-25-2013, 10:03 AM
HugginThePost

Quote:

Very embarrassing for RNH.He truly needs to hit the weight room.
Completely off topic......

Why did Doobie take the giraffe off the back of his helmet? 0:22 in.

Old
10-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hedja View Post
We've seen this dance before, there will be a furious drive at some point this season to get the Oilers back into the playoff conversation. It'll probably fizzle out just after the majority of us tiered fans start to believe and the cycle will start again. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. If we're lucky maybe the team will bottom out for real this time and the real organizational rot can be identified and fixed.
Because finishing DFL three straight years wasn't rock bottom?

Old
10-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Playa Hejda

Quote:
Because finishing DFL three straight years wasn't rock bottom?
Hey! A little more respect to the organization is due. They were only DFL twice. Same as the Eskimos, everyone hopes that results can only get better, but until the players prove it in the standings us fans can only hope.

Old
10-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Mizral

Quote:
My read on the preseason expectations was that the Oilers would be hard pressed to make the playoffs at all. So I'm not seeing the fail here.
If you expect to fail and then subsequently failed .. it's a failure.

Old
10-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Jeff Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Fring View Post

I've already given up on this team for this season. When the center ice preview ended, I made the decision to not renew it for the first time in years. There is just no entertainment value there. I always found myself skipping through the games looking for any sort of entertainment, but there was rarely anything worth watching. I'm not wasting any more time on NHL hockey. Too many better things to do. I'm out (at least until the oilers make the playoffs again).

Old
10-25-2013, 01:42 PM
ZenOil
Russian Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I've already given up on this team for this season. When the center ice preview ended, I made the decision to not renew it for the first time in years. There is just no entertainment value there. I always found myself skipping through the games looking for any sort of entertainment, but there was rarely anything worth watching. I'm not wasting any more time on NHL hockey. Too many better things to do. I'm out (at least until the oilers make the playoffs again).
Nice move. I cancelled my cable because of the suck. It's playoffs or nothing for this guy.

Old
10-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Jeff Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenOil View Post
Nice move. I cancelled my cable because of the suck. It's playoffs or nothing for this guy.
The only reason that I had cable was to purchase centre ice. Cable is done now for me too. Not only will I save a lot of money, but I've freed up tons of time for things that actually provide entertainment for me.

Old
10-25-2013, 01:53 PM
BlueChip01

I'm not going to say "I'm out of here" because that would be a lie. I am, however, at the point where I could honestly not give a crap about the games now. Scoreboard watch on the App or sit on HF. Much less anger that way. Very apathetic.

The only thing keeping me kind of interested is to see if this team can get healthy and see that lineup.

More than that, the only thing that can get me back into having to watch the games live is a big trade and shakeup.

I'm too tired of these guys to follow them like I used to non stop.

My wife bought me a really nice Hall jersey 2.5 years ago. I have worn it to a few games since my family has season tickets, but I am honestly embarrassed to be wearing it outside of a game lol. I won't even take it to VAN where I go a lot and wear it to the games there. I have no pride in the team.

Turned down tickets last night. I guess I'm turning into a bandwagonish fan. When things start going good I will get more involved.

Old
10-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Beerfish

Moose Coleman:So wait: you don't think any of those are legitimate factors in the team's performance?

No, not when I watch the Sens last year lose their norris trophy D man, their best forward and their #1 goalie all year and make the playoffs. Or when I watch teams like Pheonix or Nashville for years be competitive or make the playoffs with way less talent. You'd think that once, just once in 6 or more years the Oilers would be able to over come anything. They can't.

lol, 3-7-1 and being like 4th last in the league and being potentially out of the playoffs by the 25 game mark is not disappointing? Just when are the Oilers going to make the playoffs. I know it's a totally moving target for the apologists but you'd think sooner or later one of them would have to nut up and make a guess.

Old
10-25-2013, 02:27 PM
DousedInOil

I'm still going to watch all the games. I guess I'm a sucker for punishment.

Old
10-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
No, not when I watch the Sens last year lose their norris trophy D man, their best forward and their #1 goalie all year and make the playoffs. Or when I watch teams like Pheonix or Nashville for years be competitive or make the playoffs with way less talent. You'd think that once, just once in 6 or more years the Oilers would be able to over come anything. They can't.
So you're mad at the Oilers for not being outliers. Weird.

Quote:
lol, 3-7-1 and being like 4th last in the league and being potentially out of the playoffs by the 25 game mark is not disappointing?
Its disappointing. It's not a huge shock either. Did you have this team pegged for a Cup contender or something?

Quote:
Just when are the Oilers going to make the playoffs. I know it's a totally moving target for the apologists but you'd think sooner or later one of them would have to nut up and make a guess.
I dunno how having realistic expectations of a rebuilding team that's just starting to take its first steps back makes one an apologist exactly, but if throwing that kind of terminology around makes you feel better, go nuts.

As for making the playoffs, I think they are a number one d-man away from being able to achieve that goal. I don't think this is that year, but I expect them to be in the mix before the end of the season.

Old
10-25-2013, 02:45 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Moose Coleman:So wait: you don't think any of those are legitimate factors in the team's performance?

lol, 3-7-1 and being like 4th last in the league and being potentially out of the playoffs by the 25 game mark is not disappointing? Just when are the Oilers going to make the playoffs. I know it's a totally moving target for the apologists but you'd think sooner or later one of them would have to nut up and make a guess.
It really boggles the mind doesn't it. The litany of excuses or the "I didn't expect them to make the playoffs anways" are considered legitimate is downright embarrassing. Take a look at the standing again, we are last in the Western Conference and you are okay with that. Sorry Moose, telling us you didn't expect the playoffs while criticizing those of us who at least hoped the team would be better and challenging this year is a bit hypocritical don't you think.

Old
10-25-2013, 02:50 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
So you're mad at the Oilers for not being outliers. Weird.

Its disappointing. It's not a huge shock either. Did you have this team pegged for a Cup contender or something?

I dunno how having realistic expectations of a rebuilding team that's just starting to take its first steps back makes one an apologist exactly, but if throwing that kind of terminology around makes you feel better, go nuts.

As for making the playoffs, I think they are a number one d-man away from being able to achieve that goal. I don't think this is that year, but I expect them to be in the mix before the end of the season.
Putting your faith in the organization that is continually spinning its wheels in vain is rather priceless. You expect them to be in the mix, the mix for what exactly? You don't expect the playoffs so what do they have to play for then Moose? Love the Cup contender nonsense, you would have thought by now most of us are just hoping they can play a full sixty minute game. You keep calling the team a rebuilding one, Eakins thinks otherwise and stated so repeatedly and yet here we go again. They are not rebuilding they are FAILING.

Old
10-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Soundwave

Quote:

Very embarrassing for RNH.He truly needs to hit the weight room.
Kinda hard to hit the bench press when your recovering from shoulder surgery, boss.

Old
10-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Calgary Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I'm still going to watch all the games. I guess I'm a sucker for punishment.
I've been cheering for this team for a quarter of a century and roughly 90% of it has been quite stressful as a hardcore fan. It's finally kicking in that I may be wasting my life away - cheering, hoping and eventually being disappointed & stressed over the failures of this team.

I am now at a crossroad. May start missing a few games on tv for the first time in many years so I can take a break from the main negativity in my life. I can better use more free time to hang out with my kids. This should be a positive step to get away from my Oilers addiction.

Old
10-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola1279 View Post
Putting your faith in the organization that is continually spinning its wheels in vain is rather priceless. You expect them to be in the mix, the mix for what exactly? You don't expect the playoffs so what do they have to play for then Moose?
I expect them to put together enough wins that they'll be closer to the playoffs than last place.

Quote:
Love the Cup contender nonsense, you would have thought by now most of us are just hoping they can play a full sixty minute game.
I don't even know what this means.

Quote:
You keep calling the team a rebuilding one, Eakins thinks otherwise and stated so repeatedly and yet here we go again. They are not rebuilding they are FAILING.
11 games

Old
10-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Playa Hejda

7 years and 11 games. In that time how many of those games have been "meaningful". 3?

Old
10-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa Hedja View Post
7 years and 11 games. In that time how many of those games have been "meaningful". 3?
The past is a sunk cost.

Closed Thread