HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2013, 12:00 AM
Neatman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
If you're talking about the first goal it was an icing call.
No, Im not. I actually thought the team played really well through the first two. It was in third on another shift Washington scored. If you watched the game, it was the shift Backstrom was tossing Hopkins around like a droopy eyed child for 30 seconds before they scored. Disheartening to watch.

Old
10-25-2013, 12:03 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersfanneedsdrink View Post
Do you think management made a mistake letting krueger go after only one season? or were there glaring problems with the system they were playing last year?

It seems this team is so imbalanced that if you bring a defensive oriented coach in, they will do an ok job keeping the puck out of the net but can't score to save their lives. They bring in a guy that seems to run a more offensive oriented approach and they can't play a game without letting in at least 3 goals a game.

What coach would do well with this team really?
MacT got seduced. Theres no other way to look at it. I was highly critical of a GM stating tht coaching wasn't the problem, giving his headcoach his blessing and that he would be back, and then ending up signing another guy. I was spitting nails that the org would do that to somebody. Its a backstab.

if you do something like that which is so without grace the other coach had better be a Scotty Bowman can't miss type. Instead the Oilers mortgaged the farm, sold credibility, and hitched everything to an entirely untried rookie.

This is not on Eakins, its not his fault, but this situation was going to be "in deep" and the Oiler hired a guy with no experience. They let go a guy that had way more experience.

Meanwhile look who they got in calgary?

Old
10-25-2013, 12:05 AM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
MacT got seduced. Theres no other way to look at it. I was highly critical of a GM stating tht coaching wasn't the problem, giving his headcoach his blessing and that he would be back, and then ending up signing another guy.

if you do something like that which is so without grace the other had better be Scotty Bowman. Instead the Oilers mortgaged the farm, sold credibility, and hitched everything to an entirely untried rookie.

This is not on Eakins, its not his fault, but this situation was going to be "in deep" and the Oiler hired a guy with no experience.

A guy who hadn't been coach in several years?

Hmmm...

Old
10-25-2013, 12:09 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Hmmm...

Seriously.

Pat Quinn was friggen done before he arrived here. Which I stated at the time here lots. Could barely disguise how past it he was in an average presser. I'm not sure how people couldn't detect how far gone he was. Half way to senile babbling. Team couldn't even understand what he was on about half the time. If ever a coach was hired for a specific tank to the bottom of the sea job it was Pat Quinn. But strangely people ate it up here. Like Quinn was going to kick ass or something.

You're seriously going to compare Quinns over the hill demeanor with Bob Hartley who's still a pretty fresh cookie?

Old
10-25-2013, 12:11 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Seriously.

Pat Quinn was friggen done before he arrived here. Could barely disguise how past it he was in an average presser.

You're seriously going to compare Quinns over the hill demeanor with Bob Hartley who's still a pretty fresh cookie?
Bob Hartley hadn't been an NHL coach in 5 years. And if you watched the Flames last season, they were bad.

Perhaps jettisoning all the "superstars" on the team had an effect too. The Flames actually played better towards the end of last year when Iginla and Bouwmeester were gone.

Old
10-25-2013, 12:47 AM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Bob Hartley hadn't been an NHL coach in 5 years. And if you watched the Flames last season, they were bad.

Perhaps jettisoning all the "superstars" on the team had an effect too. The Flames actually played better towards the end of last year when Iginla and Bouwmeester were gone.
That's pride.

That's pride ****in' with them.

Old
10-25-2013, 01:12 AM
Burnt Biscuits

I've like Eakins so far, it sucks that our special teams have gone down the crapper, but our 5 vs 5 play has been a lot better. Which I put a greater amount of importance on, that's the most important ship to right. I also like how we have been much more competitive on the shot clock and I do feel like I'm starting to see some better habits out of our players.

The only thing I haven't liked so far apart from the special teams is his handling of Yakupov. I don't feel like he has done enough to put him in a position to succeed, while Yak hasn't helped him self much, when Yak scores a goal and gets some confidence his entire game usually gets substantially better. I'd also like to get Yak off the 1st PP unit and put on the Hemsky unit so he can be fed the cross ice pass in the slot for his one timer which is his bread and butter. Him and Nuge tend to the same parts of the ice and it just not a great fit for him there, also makes for an awkward shot attempt when they have him playing up high like he was tonight.

Old
10-25-2013, 01:26 AM
shoop

Quote:
MacT got seduced. Theres no other way to look at it. I was highly critical of a GM stating tht coaching wasn't the problem, giving his headcoach his blessing and that he would be back, and then ending up signing another guy. I was spitting nails that the org would do that to somebody. Its a backstab.

if you do something like that which is so without grace the other coach had better be a Scotty Bowman can't miss type. Instead the Oilers mortgaged the farm, sold credibility, and hitched everything to an entirely untried rookie.

This is not on Eakins, its not his fault, but this situation was going to be "in deep" and the Oiler hired a guy with no experience. They let go a guy that had way more experience.

Who was the guy with way more experience?

Uhhh, there's only been one Scotty Bowman "can't miss type" and that was ... Scotty Bowman.

Stick with Eakins. He's indescribably better than Krueger. Miles better than anything Renney or Quinn did here.

Eakins will mold the team to win if given the time ... and a non-brutal goalie.

Old
10-25-2013, 01:29 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post

Uhhh, there's only been one Scotty Bowman "can't miss type" and that was ... Scotty Bowman.

Stick with Eakins. He's indescribably better than Krueger. Miles better than anything Renney or Quinn did here.

I'm not piling on Eakins in anyway. Just that its pretty much expected there was going to be learning curve + the trauma that this motley crew was going to induce and especially to a rookie coach.

I notice one of the rink board advertisers on the road trip was Excedrin.

Inspired choice.

Old
10-25-2013, 01:34 AM
Soundwave

Quote:

Renney in hindsight wasn't as bad as I thought.

But I agree at this point we should just stick with Eakins. There are some good things happening like more physical play and better 5-on-5 and the PP even started to look a lot better in the last game.

No more coaching changes.

Old
10-25-2013, 01:42 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Renney in hindsight wasn't as bad as I thought.

But I agree at this point we should just stick with Eakins. There are some good things happening like more physical play and better 5-on-5 and the PP even started to look a lot better in the last game.

No more coaching changes.
I remember saying that at the time. Everybody wanted the deck chairs to keep getting moved.

Renney wasn't the problem.

Old
10-25-2013, 02:12 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:

And our roster is miles better than what they had to work with , and Eakins has us pretty much already screwed and worst start of all of them . his quote tonight "I felt the balloon was starting to deflate in the second" really Eakins so what was your game changing plan so the balloon would not deflate. Nope he just let the air keep leaking.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:39 AM
joestevens29

Quote:

Hmmm...

A guy that won a gold in 2008 U18 team and gold 2009 U20 team. There wasn't many that were against him coming in.

Old
10-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
A guy that won a gold in 2008 U18 team and gold 2009 U20 team. There wasn't many that were against him coming in.
This nature of incumbency, with Canadian Junior clubs could make any coach look good. Was Quinn actually any good in figurehead capacity? I didn't see it that way. People believe in legend making and Quinn was a nice story in that regard.

Did anybody really think he was competent here? His performance that year spoke for itself. This was much more of a challenge then Quinn was prepared or able to take on. Not sure how this could even be disputed.

I was very against the Quinn hire. A disastrous selection and said so at the time.

This is the one coach, the only coach, that I wanted gone.

Old
10-25-2013, 09:11 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
And our roster is miles better than what they had to work with , and Eakins has us pretty much already screwed and worst start of all of them . his quote tonight "I felt the balloon was starting to deflate in the second" really Eakins so what was your game changing plan so the balloon would not deflate. Nope he just let the air keep leaking.
I missed whether Eakins chose to take a time out with knowing that. I think he's correct in a sense that his club decided somewhere along the way that this was a two pts they stopped contesting (difference between this game and Montreal) but what did he do to avert deflation? I think putting the 4th line, and Gordon line out there or reworking the lines would have been better option. Keeping the first line intact and out there was a debacle unless Eakins is trying to teach a lesson here (and I don't advocate that method as it cost us 2 pts)

One could just read the body language of the players. Some guys that should be much better after getting a few scoring chances getting resigned, frustrated, and playing the rest of the game progressively worse and being the reason the team lost instead of a solution in a game like this.

To Eakins credit when the line that is tanking has two first drafts in the world and the "best offensive player on the team" on it theres nothing you can do to avert crisis in a game like last night.

A line that shouldn't be getting owned got absolutely annihilated. Shift after shift destruction.

What we saw again was sated contentment from a few players that apparently felt they've been giving enough at the office this week. unfortunate because we're paying these guys to be great out there.

Old
10-25-2013, 10:08 AM
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans

vCash: 1170
I wasn't really a fan of the Eakins hiring at the time and he's done nothing to prove me wrong. Obviously we shouldn't be changing coachs......yet. But he's not just the right coach for this roster.

It's like Hunter in WSH, he managed to get them in the playoffs, but that team was not build to play his style.

Old
10-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
I wasn't really a fan of the Eakins hiring at the time and he's done nothing to prove me wrong. Obviously we shouldn't be changing coachs......yet. But he's not just the right coach for this roster.

It's like Hunter in WSH, he managed to get them in the playoffs, but that team was not build to play his style.
What coach is right for this roster and situation?

I'm thinking JC might pan out.

Old
10-25-2013, 10:25 AM
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans

Quote:
What coach is right for this roster and situation?

I'm thinking JC might pan out.
We need a guy like Oates, who will give our stars the matchups they need to get on the scoresheet. One who won't put Yakupov against the top line and complain about his ability to defend. A guy who won't ruin our special teams.

Oh wait we had Krueger last year who did all of these things and let him go for a rookie coach.

EDIT : The team is still very much to blame, but the coach is definitely not immune to criticism.

Old
10-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
We need a guy like Oates, who will give our stars the matchups they need to get on the scoresheet. One who won't put Yakupov against the top line and complain about his ability to defend. A guy who won't ruin our special teams.

Oh wait we had Krueger last year who did all of these things and let him go for a rookie coach.

EDIT : The team is still very much to blame, but the coach is definitely not immune to criticism.
My own opinion is that tactically speaking and game management both MacT and Renney are better coaches than anything else we've had in recent memory.

But people bought up and really wanted the Eakins hire. It hasn't taken long for popular opinion to change.

Old
10-25-2013, 10:35 AM
randomrob7

We need to hire Krueger as a special teams coach.

Old
10-25-2013, 10:39 AM
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans

Quote:
My own opinion is that tactically speaking and game management both MacT and Renney are better coaches than anything else we've had in recent memory.

But people bought up and really wanted the Eakins hire. It hasn't taken long for popular opinion to change.
I'd agree, but MacT is definitely not the coach for this team. He preferred a grind it out hard-nosed team that works hard. That is not us.

Old
10-25-2013, 10:41 AM
GMofOilers

I think its a little unfair so far. We started the year without our top 2 centers. When Gagner went down we all knew we were going to have a rough start. Now Hall gone also.

Didnt help Dubnyk was horrible the first few games either.

Starting to see some good things out there in recent games.

Old
10-25-2013, 10:44 AM
randomrob7

Quote:
I'd agree, but MacT is definitely not the coach for this team. He preferred a grind it out hard-nosed team that works hard. That is not us.
Maybe he would be the right coach for this tem, then. The Oilers are missing that "grind it out" mentality in their game. And we could certainly use a coach that is able to ensure we will work hard every night.

Old
10-25-2013, 10:47 AM
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomrob7 View Post
Maybe he would be the right coach for this tem, then. The Oilers are missing that "grind it out" mentality in their game. And we could certainly use a coach that is able to ensure we will work hard every night.
I thought that was Eakins MO

This team isn't made to do that, we need an offensive coach who won't try to play skill against skill. Gordon should have been against Ovechkin.

Old
10-25-2013, 10:53 AM
2Sedins0Cups
Clever ain't wise.

A couple of posters in another thread brought up something on Eakins and his fitness levels. How we should be wearing teams down because we are so in shape (not exactly his original words, but maybe inferred). He obviously preached fitness and showed us why by playing Nuge 28 minutes his first game back.

Here's the thing though.

Eakins admitted to the team looking tired after the last road trip. Isn't this exactly the type of game, a home game after a long road trip, that our Sasquatch fitness levels are an advantage. Granted, he probably hasn't had enough time to reap the results of any plan he has in place, but this raises a question. What exactly are they doing above and beyond anyone else? There has been no reports or word come out of the Oilers hitting the weights and bike after games. No crazy fitness equipment they are bringing in, I can't even find a news article newer than training camp on Oiler fitness, nothing in the first episode of Oil Change. You'd think something would have leaked about it. Anyone got anything?

Closed Thread