HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-25-2013, 11:10 AM
  #351
randomrob7
Registered User
 
randomrob7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
I thought that was Eakins MO

This team isn't made to do that, we need an offensive coach who won't try to play skill against skill. Gordon should have been against Ovechkin.
Yea, I can agree with that. Matching our top line with theirs isn't the smartest thing to do when playing teams like Pittsburgh and Washington. That being said, we still need a better work ethic. A coach who embraces our offensive line-up will only take us so far.

randomrob7 is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 11:14 AM
  #352
oiLowe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgree
Country: Canada
Posts: 662
vCash: 50
We just kinda suck...

Eakins really has no say in that. I'm finished with blaming this ****show on anything but the players. Step up or step out should be the mantra. Sadly, we've hooked our wagon to these kids and it's not going to change anytime soon.

One day they'll be good.

Won't they?!...

oiLowe is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 11:47 AM
  #353
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe
 
OilerTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,674
vCash: 50
I find it funny that Eakins has put so much emphasis on fitness because I don't think fitness was ever really a major issue until this year when Eakins made it an issue by playing our forwards 25+ minutes a night with PK time.

At least he has smartened up a bit and lowered the ice time of our top players.

OilerTyler is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 12:19 PM
  #354
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans
 
ResilientBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,042
vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomrob7 View Post
Yea, I can agree with that. Matching our top line with theirs isn't the smartest thing to do when playing teams like Pittsburgh and Washington. That being said, we still need a better work ethic. A coach who embraces our offensive line-up will only take us so far.
But if he used out top offensive guys against weaker lines maybe we could have taken more control of the game.

We need to be doing that, because right now our kids aren't strong enough to go toe to toe. We need to hit their weaker lines with everything we can throw at them. Pile the shots on, tire the goalie out, make the other team play on their heels. Instead of going toe to toe getting beat and giving up quality chances.

That's what we were doing last year and it worked, we improved. Krueger got that team out of last place flittered with the playoffs but cooled off. He should not have been fired, maybe have Eakins come in as an assistant to see what happens. But the first coach to get us out of the bottom 2 spots in 3 years did not deserve to be fired.

Eakins style works in the AHL, because those players aren't as skilled, and swarming the puck carrier will lead to mistakes amongst less competent players. At the NHL it's clear it's not working. Whatever Krueger was doing is better than what Eakins is doing now. We went from 29th to 23rd with Krueger, our team is improved. Better third line center, more serviceable defensemen who knows what our powerplay would be doing with a healthy Nuge and whatever plan Krueger was using.

Our powerplay was clicking, our penalty kill was humming along. So it's not the team on that front it's the coaching staff.

ResilientBeast is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 12:45 PM
  #355
tempest2i
Myxomatosis
 
tempest2i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,243
vCash: 500
I think the team looks better as a whole this season when compared to any time in the last 5 years or so. The results aren't there, but the players look like they can control the game for longer stretches of time and we're seeing far fewer fire drills in the d-zone.

I'm not concerned with Eakins at this point. I'd prefer that the team keep him and allow him to continue to shape the team into his vision. If the Oilers can keep the same coach for a couple seasons in a row, that would be a huge plus for all the players.

tempest2i is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 12:49 PM
  #356
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
But if he used out top offensive guys against weaker lines maybe we could have taken more control of the game.

We need to be doing that, because right now our kids aren't strong enough to go toe to toe. We need to hit their weaker lines with everything we can throw at them. Pile the shots on, tire the goalie out, make the other team play on their heels. Instead of going toe to toe getting beat and giving up quality chances.

That's what we were doing last year and it worked, we improved. Krueger got that team out of last place flittered with the playoffs but cooled off. He should not have been fired, maybe have Eakins come in as an assistant to see what happens. But the first coach to get us out of the bottom 2 spots in 3 years did not deserve to be fired.

Eakins style works in the AHL, because those players aren't as skilled, and swarming the puck carrier will lead to mistakes amongst less competent players. At the NHL it's clear it's not working. Whatever Krueger was doing is better than what Eakins is doing now. We went from 29th to 23rd with Krueger, our team is improved. Better third line center, more serviceable defensemen who knows what our powerplay would be doing with a healthy Nuge and whatever plan Krueger was using.

Our powerplay was clicking, our penalty kill was humming along. So it's not the team on that front it's the coaching staff.
Kruger's team was a lot worse than the one that finished 29th the year before by every measure save their spot in the standings. It's quite possible that, over a full season, they would have been down in the basement again.

Eakins is putting his mark on his team with a new system. That takes time. He's dealing with injuries to key players. That's out of his hands. Hasn't all been roses, but there are some signs of progress. Rome was not built in a day or even 10 games.

Moose Coleman is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 12:53 PM
  #357
missinthejets
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
I think the team looks better as a whole this season when compared to any time in the last 5 years or so. The results aren't there, but the players look like they can control the game for longer stretches of time and we're seeing far fewer fire drills in the d-zone.

I'm not concerned with Eakins at this point. I'd prefer that the team keep him and allow him to continue to shape the team into his vision. If the Oilers can keep the same coach for a couple seasons in a row, that would be a huge plus for all the players.
if the special teams were as good this year as they were last year there is no doubt in my mind that this team would be much better than last years.

missinthejets is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 12:54 PM
  #358
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
if the special teams were as good this year as they were last year there is no doubt in my mind that this team would be much better than last years.
The last few games after Duby has settled in, yes for sure, the team has looked better than the last few years.

The powerplay even looked pretty good last night from what I saw. They will start to score on it soon if they keep doing that.

Now if we actually had a healthy freaking roster ...

Soundwave is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 12:57 PM
  #359
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans
 
ResilientBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,042
vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Kruger's team was a lot worse than the one that finished 29th the year before by every measure save their spot in the standings. It's quite possible that, over a full season, they would have been down in the basement again.

Eakins is putting his mark on his team with a new system. That takes time. He's dealing with injuries to key players. That's out of his hands. Hasn't all been roses, but there are some signs of progress. Rome was not built in a day or even 10 games.
I understand that it takes time. But I'm arguing that hiring an AHL coach with zero NHL experience by our "impatient GM" wasn't a good idea. I would have been fine with Eakins being an assistant for a year to get his feet wet and take over in a year or two Renney style. But instead our team is being lead by untested youngsters being coached by an untested coach.

ResilientBeast is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 01:00 PM
  #360
eskies4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 283
vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
I understand that it takes time. But I'm arguing that hiring an AHL coach with zero NHL experience by our "impatient GM" wasn't a good idea. I would have been fine with Eakins being an assistant for a year to get his feet wet and take over in a year or two Renney style. But instead our team is being lead by untested youngsters being coached by an untested coach.
You realize Eakins was an assistant coach in Toronto for two seasons, right?

eskies4life is online now  
Old
10-25-2013, 01:02 PM
  #361
tempest2i
Myxomatosis
 
tempest2i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
if the special teams were as good this year as they were last year there is no doubt in my mind that this team would be much better than last years.
Let me put it this way; the struggles of the PP are an annoyance, but should not overshadow the far better 5v5 scoring and play in general that we have seen so far this season.

I'd much rather be a better team at 5v5 that struggles in the PP, than a great PP team that struggles 5v5.

tempest2i is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 01:03 PM
  #362
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans
 
ResilientBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,042
vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskies4life View Post
You realize Eakins was an assistant coach in Toronto for two seasons, right?
Really? Huh I must have gotten confused because I don't think I've seen anyone mention it till now.

Okay no experience as an NHL head coach.

ResilientBeast is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 01:24 PM
  #363
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
I understand that it takes time. But I'm arguing that hiring an AHL coach with zero NHL experience by our "impatient GM" wasn't a good idea. I would have been fine with Eakins being an assistant for a year to get his feet wet and take over in a year or two Renney style. But instead our team is being lead by untested youngsters being coached by an untested coach.
The guy you think they should have kept instead of hiring Eakins had zero NHL head coaching experience when he started. If you think the team improved under him, that would seem to undermine your argument against Eakins.

Moose Coleman is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 01:27 PM
  #364
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
I understand that it takes time. But I'm arguing that hiring an AHL coach with zero NHL experience by our "impatient GM" wasn't a good idea. I would have been fine with Eakins being an assistant for a year to get his feet wet and take over in a year or two Renney style. But instead our team is being lead by untested youngsters being coached by an untested coach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
Really? Huh I must have gotten confused because I don't think I've seen anyone mention it till now.

Okay no experience as an NHL head coach.
Nice, the good old he should have this to be a coach then you find out he does and you completely change your opinion. Doesn't work that way.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 01:41 PM
  #365
GMofOilers
Registered User
 
GMofOilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mountains
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,965
vCash: 500
You know weather we like it or not, we wont be getting a new coach for a while.

IMO thats one of the biggest fails of this rebuild so far is to keep changing coaches. Its no wonder this team has been searching a idenity since Mact got fired. Its because we havent had a coach longer than 2 seasons since.

GMofOilers is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 01:51 PM
  #366
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
You know weather we like it or not, we wont be getting a new coach for a while.

IMO thats one of the biggest fails of this rebuild so far is to keep changing coaches. Its no wonder this team has been searching a idenity since Mact got fired. Its because we havent had a coach longer than 2 seasons since.
There was that post on twitter last night stating info from a source inside the team has the Oilers firing Eakins and hiring Messier by next week.

Expect the unexpected.

Tarus is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 02:24 PM
  #367
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec
 
nofool6110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
There was that post on twitter last night stating info from a source inside the team has the Oilers firing Eakins and hiring Messier by next week.

Expect the unexpected.
Messier right now might be a better player than Will Acton. Player coach! Player coach! Player coach!

nofool6110 is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 02:36 PM
  #368
Joey Moss
Registered User
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,210
vCash: 226
I think most of you guys are looking at the results and trying to find the easiest person to blame. The Oilers have played much better than they ever did under Krueger. They win faceoffs, often out-shoot the opponent, play an offensive system suited to our team.. the fitness thing has been so overblown. I remember watching a documentary on the '06 team that went to the Finals. A lot of the players mentioned fitness being a huge reason they went far because by the time the playoffs came around they weren't worn down. I think the Oilers have had horrible luck this year. Holtby stole the game for Washington last night.

We aren't firing Eakins, guys. Don't even bother suggesting it. Players will move before he does and I think it's time for a bit of a shakeup. A move that will change the look of the team a bit because something about the roster right now isn't getting results. We've had the same kind of team for four years.. it's time to make a big move.

Joey Moss is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 02:48 PM
  #369
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
There was that post on twitter last night stating info from a source inside the team has the Oilers firing Eakins and hiring Messier by next week.

Expect the unexpected.
Yeah from a guy at the game who heard it from the guy sitting next to him who heard from a guy who knows a guy with the team. Seems legit.

Moose Coleman is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 02:52 PM
  #370
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire
 
BoldNewLettuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,655
vCash: 157
If Eakins is in charge of his coaching staff and practice scheduling then the special teams are on him.

They should either have a better special teams coach or be better prepared to get the special teams in order.

Fire both Actons.

BoldNewLettuce is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 02:54 PM
  #371
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I think most of you guys are looking at the results and trying to find the easiest person to blame. The Oilers have played much better than they ever did under Krueger. They win faceoffs, often out-shoot the opponent, play an offensive system suited to our team.. the fitness thing has been so overblown. I remember watching a documentary on the '06 team that went to the Finals. A lot of the players mentioned fitness being a huge reason they went far because by the time the playoffs came around they weren't worn down. I think the Oilers have had horrible luck this year. Holtby stole the game for Washington last night.

We aren't firing Eakins, guys. Don't even bother suggesting it. Players will move before he does and I think it's time for a bit of a shakeup. A move that will change the look of the team a bit because something about the roster right now isn't getting results. We've had the same kind of team for four years.. it's time to make a big move.
If we're making strides in the right direction and have had rotten luck, why do we need to shake up the team? Wouldn't it make more sense to stay the course and wait for the luck to turn around as opposed to making a drastic move? Seems contradictory to me.

Moose Coleman is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 03:02 PM
  #372
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,677
vCash: 500
I'm frosty on him.

I think he should have used the benifit of having left over assistant coaches maintain the PK and PP since they were successful.

He could focus on the even strength system. Once the players had that, look if the PK and PP need adjustment. Or wait for a failure and then impliment his own.

Too much too fast for a young fragile team.

That and his line matching has been suspect.

Valic is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 03:03 PM
  #373
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
If we're making strides in the right direction and have had rotten luck, why do we need to shake up the team? Wouldn't it make more sense to stay the course and wait for the luck to turn around as opposed to making a drastic move? Seems contradictory to me.
I don't think we need a shake up, but I think a couple of bodies are needed. Another PK guy and depending how things go we need some more nastiness on that blueline.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 03:05 PM
  #374
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,308
vCash: 98
One thing that caught me off guard was yesterday's interview before the game. Talking about the best guy to play in front of the net Tomas Holmstrom. Thought he could've threw a bone to Smyth and made it something that players could learn/ask Smyth about, but he didn't.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 03:10 PM
  #375
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I don't think we need a shake up, but I think a couple of bodies are needed. Another PK guy and depending how things go we need some more nastiness on that blueline.


http://www.blueseatblogs.com/wp-cont...m_940-8col.jpg

I don't think there's much to be done about the blueline at this point.

Moose Coleman is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.