HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Goes First/Speculation/Rumors Thread

View Poll Results: Who is the ODD MAN OUT?
Zuccerello 1 1.06%
Pyatt 74 78.72%
Pouliot 3 3.19%
They all stay 4 4.26%
They all go 12 12.77%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2013, 06:26 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

vCash: 500
McD is the only safe D-man. Everyone else is fair game.

Old
10-25-2013, 06:41 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Keep McDonagh and John Moore. Everyone else can go. Staal. Del Zotto. Girardi. Stralman. Bring up McIlrath later in the year for some seasoning.

Keep only the young forwards upfront. Stepan. Hagelin. Kreider. Miller. Fast. Those guys are part of the solution. Re-sign Callahan. Nash has 4 years remaining on his contract. Bring up Kristo at some point this season. Put Miller at center.

Amnesty Richards in June.

The Rangers have some players in Boyle and Dominic Moore who will be coveted by teams.

Brassard was terrific in the playoffs. Dorsett was a good player in Columbus. He is still a good player. Flip them for other assets.

The other guys are waiver fodder. Pouliot. Pyatt. Zuccarello. They could generate some interest in the trade market. Playoff teams looking for depth forwards could look at Pouliot and Pyatt. Zuccarello said there were other NHL teams interested him last summer.

Re-sign Lundqvist.

Old
10-25-2013, 06:59 AM
NikC

I've resigned myself to a transition year that hopefully sees Sather retired. I'd love to see them in a position to draft top 5 overall. Will Lundqvist commit to a team like this long term? When he returns to form it maybe too late to salvage the season. Hes too good for us to be bad enough to draft high enough to improve. ..
We're spinning our wheels....

Play the core and develop the youth. Trade and waive everyone else. At some point soon its going to be clear that this is strictly a development year....

Old
10-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Bottoming out wouldnt be bad. I still think when everyone gets healthy, this team will wind up where most typical Ranger teams wind up -- rudderless and clawing for a playoff spot.

Anyway, if the team were to really tank it, the #1 priority would be Sather could not possibly be the one tabbed with trying to rebuild it. After 14 years, one trip to the conference finals, and coming off a lost season, do you really think he'd be willing to step down then? Nope. Too much pride.

Last edited by Bleed Ranger Blue: 10-25-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old
10-25-2013, 07:28 AM
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL

Yup. Leaving aside the fact that NY teams don't rebuild and Dolan won't allow it (need that playoff cheddar), Sather simply cannot be the man at the wheel for a hypotehtical "tank, blow it up, start again" effort. He is just going to continue trying to recreate the Dynasty Oilers in 2013.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:45 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Bottoming out wouldnt be bad. I still think when everyone gets healthy, this team will wind up where most typical Ranger teams wind up -- rudderless and clawing for a playoff spot.

Anyway, if the team were to really tank it, the #1 priority would be Sather could not possibly be the one tabbed with trying to rebuild it. After 14 years, one trip to the conference finals, and coming off a lost season, do you really think he'd be willing to step down then? Nope. Too much pride.
If they lose the next (2) games, which is VERY possible with Detroit and then Montreal coming up, they are going to have an extremely steep hill to climb. That would put them at 2-8...

Old
10-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

how about Kyle Clifford from LA???

id gladly move Del Zotto and Pouliot to the Kings for Clifford, Pearson, Fraser and 1st 2014??

Old
10-25-2013, 10:14 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
how about Kyle Clifford from LA???

id gladly move Del Zotto and Pouliot to the Kings for Clifford, Pearson, Fraser and 1st 2014??
You can at least buy the Kings dinner first.

10-25-2013, 10:17 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

It all starts from the top.

Can't fire Dolan so next up is Sather. We can keep changing coaches like we do our underwear, but won't change a thing. Sather is the problem and will always be.

Old
10-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Josh3217

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
You can at least buy the Kings dinner first.
Haha

Old
10-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Avengers*

What happens if Lundqvist, Girardi and Callahan walks at the end of the season?

Intense rebuild mode begins? Fire Sather and start with fresh young faces? It would kill the team to lose number 1 goalie, heart and soul and blocking shots god!

Old
10-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Zats Muccarello
Grinder

Although it may seem like a bad idea now, in the long run, a total rebuild would be great for this team. Preferably not under Sather's supervision though. We are just not built to win, there is no cohesiveness in this team.

Old
10-25-2013, 11:22 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

As long as Sather is at the helm, we are nothing but a sinking ship trying to stay afloat with no life preservers.

Old
10-25-2013, 11:22 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengers View Post
It would kill the team to lose number 1 goalie, heart and soul and blocking shots god!
Yeah, they might start losing games.

Old
10-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

trade Girardi Callahan Boyle and Lundqvist.. maybe this is the year the Rangers do something on draft day.. getting 3 or 4 1st round picks will help this franchise especially if they can draft 2 top line forwards... let's hope Sather does something smart that makes sense

Old
10-25-2013, 11:35 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Yeah, they might start losing games.
Perish the thought!

Old
10-25-2013, 11:56 AM
backofthefridge

how about trading staal for yakupov? staal has a year left on his deal so he would probably have more value than girardi. i know girardi will get a massive raise this summer, but losing him would leave another hole on right D. staal also has his injury history.

edmonton needs another established defensive D-man. they have a lot of RD as is, so maybe they would be more interested in staal.

Old
10-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
trade Girardi Callahan Boyle and Lundqvist.. maybe this is the year the Rangers do something on draft day.. getting 3 or 4 1st round picks will help this franchise especially if they can draft 2 top line forwards... let's hope Sather does something smart that makes sense
That'd be extremely painful, but I can see the need to actually do it.

Things won't change unless Sather is gone, first and foremost.

Old
10-25-2013, 12:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post

With the Rangers stellar record of drafting in the first round, what could go wrong?

Old
10-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
With the Rangers stellar record of drafting in the first round, what could go wrong?
drafting 2 Hugh Jessiman's in the same round

Old
10-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post

everyone but Sather and Dolan knows that the game has passed Sather by. i wish he would know already that its time to retire...

Old
10-25-2013, 12:26 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Knowing that Dolan doesn't do the "tank" thing, I wonder how much time AV and his crew have?

Last edited by NYR Viper: 10-25-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Not starting the nickname stuff again
Old
10-25-2013, 12:50 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Keep McDonagh and John Moore. Everyone else can go. Staal. Del Zotto. Girardi. Stralman. Bring up McIlrath later in the year for some seasoning.

Keep only the young forwards upfront. Stepan. Hagelin. Kreider. Miller. Fast. Those guys are part of the solution. Re-sign Callahan. Nash has 4 years remaining on his contract. Bring up Kristo at some point this season. Put Miller at center.

The Rangers have some players in Boyle and Dominic Moore who will be coveted by teams.

Brassard was terrific in the playoffs. Dorsett was a good player in Columbus. He is still a good player. Flip them for other assets.

The other guys are waiver fodder. Pouliot. Pyatt. Zuccarello. They could generate some interest in the trade market. Playoff teams looking for depth forwards could look at Pouliot and Pyatt. Zuccarello said there were other NHL teams interested him last summer.

Re-sign Lundqvist.
Agreed pretty much completely. That should have been regardless of how this season went. And they should start implementing it ASAP.

Personally I would look to keep Staal, if he is willing to stay.

Old
10-25-2013, 12:51 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

I'd keep Staal, Boyle, and Moore.

Staal is a great D-man and a guy we want to have around for as long as possible. I really don't see the point in giving him up now. I see him, McDonagh, Moore, and McIlrath (hopefully) as the future top 4 of the team. Assuming Moore continues to handle the right side well. Would also like a RH'er with a good shot to help out on the PP.

I also can't fathom the insane level of Boyle hatred around here. He and Moore are perfect bottom liners who can go up a line and PK, play decently physical. I mean I'm cool with letting Pyatt and some others go... but what's the point in getting rid of our entire bottom 6? Who is replacing them? Same with Dorse really. Keep at least 2 of those 3 around. Veteran guys who can play different needs on the bottom levels. It's not like we have many guys in the system who can replace them. Hrivik? Kantor? Jean? I dunno who's gonna be ready or when, if ever.

Old
10-25-2013, 12:58 PM
NYRKindms

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Re-sign Lundqvist.
I agree but to do it right you have to cut ties with Hank. You cannot have that much money tied up in your goalie. He is awesome but his salary demands eat to much cap for the modern NHL.

Closed Thread