HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2013, 10:40 AM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I think I determined that I can't use the P92 anymore. Messing around with my sticks yesterday, the curve is just too big. When the stick is in shooting position cupping the puck, the blade is facing way wide of the net. Unless I was shooting from behind my body, it's going to be too far off.

Makes me wonder about the Vanek curve blades I saw at an LHS. I want something with a flatter blade but still with a little loft. Haven't used it for a while. For now I'll probably plug away with my P88 though.
There was a time a couple months ago for several weeks that I was using both Vanek (on my Widow) and the RNH on my Stage 2. It was tough to adjust to go back and forth! I was letting the curve do the work with the RNH.

I also snagged a new Vapor XXXX in 77 flex P88 from a former Bauer warranty rep for $60! Going to try using it at the regular 60", about an inch longer than my other sticks.

Old
10-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Many years ago when I was first playing, I used a longer stick and would really roll the puck from heel to toe with a sweeping shot. I used to like a big, deep curve that would really get the puck spinning.

The last few years, my stick is a few inches shorter and I cup the puck and push/pull the wrists to take more of a snap shot. I keep wanting a fairly flat curve with a little bit of loft. Something between a PM9 and a Drury but with a hint of curve near the toe to help with drags and what not.

The P92 is great for picking corners when I've got time in warmups but it seems in game situations I'm always missing the net. Doesn't help the stick is a super whippy 55 flex...kind of an experiment.

For now I'll probably go between my P88 and P14 sticks. I have a 4.75 lie Drury but that thing is so open that I have trouble keeping pucks on the ice when passing and not shooting over the net. I've also got a PM9 but that one's too closed...when I cup and fire the puck the blade contacts the top of the puck rather than the side, so that screws things up for me.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Cujomi
De Leeuw Ziel

Really starting to enjoy my progress as a player. Last season (summer) I think I spent more time on my ass than skating. I've slowly started to improve my skating where I can keep up with most other players (and my straightaway speed is above average), my faceoffs are a positive as I'm pretty sure I win 70% of them, and now my understanding of the game is getting better.

Last night we had our 4th game of the season and I was involved in the nicest play I've had so far. I carried the puck up the left side of the ice and crossed over the line into 2 defencemen, they were backing up so I cut back towards the middle and noticed my winger streaking in on the right. I threaded a pass between the two defencemen tape to tape and he roofed it on the fly for a really nice play. Highlight of my career hahaha.

It's nice though to improve from going 3 - 8 - 1 and finishing last in our division in the summer to starting off this season 2 - 1 - 1 and controlling the play a lot more. I love hockey.

I really, really, really need to work on my shot though. I feel like I could be way more effective if I could do anything in that regard, because my shot is the worst.

Old
10-23-2013, 07:20 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

Today I got this beaut for my birthday.

Also, still haven't received word as to when my Midget no-contact league starts up. Good work, guys.

Old
10-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Flying

today i took a puck to the mask for the first time.

i am having a lot more fun as a goalie than a skater. don't know much but i feel like i'm improving and not stagnating/getting bored like i did when i was playing as a skater

Old
10-25-2013, 09:18 AM
TheGreatOutlaw

Sweet jersey. I have the old black TBL #26 by him in black. He is my my favorite idol.

Last night played the number one seed in the beer league . We won 5-2. There best skater kept trying some spinorama and fancy dekes on me. I kept stealing the puck and playing the body. He got pissed and took a slapshot at me which hit me in the stomach. I have a nice bruise today, but it was fun winning faceoffs and shutting him down all game.

Old
10-25-2013, 09:21 AM
TheGreatOutlaw

The game before us had an epic ending. A straight up yard sale full team brawl and fighting off the ice. It is beyond me sometimes how people can take beer league so serious that they are trying to kill each other off the ice. The refs were just watching like I am not getting in to break the full team fight. Literally 3/4 of each team were fighting and we are just like can you hurry up we want to play next game.

Old
10-25-2013, 11:56 AM
TLow97

So last night I attended an evaluation session for my league. A buddy of mine is planning to be a sub for us.

Noticed a guy on the ice who wore his suspenders outside his jersey, and wore a lanyard with what looked like a whistle on the end (later found out it was his keys). Completely bombed his drills, did not look coordinated at all. Wondered if he was hammered or something. Went to get his water bottle, but forgot what bench he left it at. After his last bombed drill (weave/stickhandle through cones), he threw his stick at the boards, took his belongings and left the ice. One of the evaluators checked on him, and apparently crazy guy pulled his groin...

Old
10-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post

I broke my primary P88 last week and am using my backup P92 until I get the replacement. I used to like the P92 more, but now I find trouble stickhandling fast/through traffic because of it. Can't wait to get my new P88. Which blade are you currently looking at as an alternative to your P88?
Woohoo - got my replacement (APX2 instead of APX) today! Can't wait to play Sunday night.

2 goals in a 3-2 loss last night. Had the game-winner on my stick but had to shake off 2 defenders and a goalie racing out at me. Hit the front of the post from far out, and a teammate whiffed the open net. Naturally, the ensuing rush resulted in the other team's game-winner. Unreal

Old
10-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I'll chime in on the P88/P92 (and even P92 plus toe - Kreps). I just siwtched back to the P88 after almost a year hiatus from it because I just couldn't get comfortable with the higher flexed (95 as opposed to 87) P92 and kreps sticks I've been using while playing D. Personnel changes are allowing me to go back to forward, and eventually I'll be picking up a P92 APX 2 once I find someone selling a pro stock version in 87 flex.

It took some time to get re-acquainted, and I definitely missed a slam dunk because I have grow accustomed to a more open face, but I forgot about how much I enjoyed to all-around simplicity of the P88. I also started trying to snap off the toe for better power (opposed to a drag and shoot off the toe) and started to get much more comfortable. Once I get dialed in, I may have to re-consider the curve choice on the APX 2 I want.

Old
10-25-2013, 01:24 PM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

Scored my first goal in my second game of hockey ever - awesome feeling! 1+1 in two games so far!

Old
10-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaRocketsFan View Post
Scored my first goal in my second game of hockey ever - awesome feeling! 1+1 in two games so far!
I truly suck then haha. I am in my 2nd season and still goal-less.

Old
10-25-2013, 03:45 PM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Today I.. Have to ref a 12u girls game. Going to be boring except for chirping.

Old
10-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

Today I made plans with some friends to go to Pro Hockey Life on monday. First time I've ever been there, so it'll be cool.

Old
10-25-2013, 06:28 PM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
I play house league and we won our first three games with 6:0, 8:2 (my first game) and 18:2. I played the last game on our top line so I had to score eventually in such a weird game! it was a breakaway though so I still had to do my part!
I'm really curious to see how the next games are going to be. I'm like +9 right now and have 2 points in two games, I guess it can't go on like this forever!

Old
10-26-2013, 03:57 PM
do0glas

I feel like losing those 6 months is really hurting me, but I'll have plenty of seasons after this to get better.

The team is probably moving me to center full time, so I must be doing okay....right?

Old
10-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Ozz

...2g3a tonight in an 8-1 romp. The team was ahead of us in the standings but we flip-flopped after tonight.

Great debut for my new stick. Felt nice to have "my" stick instead of my backup w/the different blade and grip.

Old
10-28-2013, 08:26 AM
TLow97

First game of the season last night. Directly responsible for two shorties. Lost 4-3. It's still eating at me...

Old
10-28-2013, 05:49 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

In a High Scho hockey game last night, I went to hit a kid and he got his arms and stick up high in defense. I ended up taking a vicious cross-check to the throat, and couldn't breath for a bit. Been coughing up crap all day, and am still having trouble getting full breaths and talking loudly.

Fun fun fun.

Old
10-29-2013, 12:03 PM
Jackson12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
it'll come

Old
10-29-2013, 01:02 PM
scryan

Today I emailed the guys over at Simmons to see if I can work out a deal on a glove/blocker/pads combo to replace the last of my old hand me down craigslist pads.
I am on a pretty tight budget though so hoping they can make something work, or it will probably be Brian M series leg pads and what ever catching glove I can find a decent deal on.

Old
10-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

Walked out with a new bag, a Warrior Diablo, and one of those Smart Hockey balls. Anybody know any good drills to do with it? Looking to generally improve my control over the puck.

Old
10-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Ozz

My Monday night team won 4-3 in a nail-biter. I had 0pts but was busy leading the PK most the night. Solid game and I'm glad we got out of it with a regulation win to further our distance from that 2nd place team.

My top division team plays tonight, this is another one that can go either way.

Old
10-29-2013, 02:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 48 View Post
Walked out with a new bag, a Warrior Diablo, and one of those Smart Hockey balls. Anybody know any good drills to do with it? Looking to generally improve my control over the puck.
20 Stickhandling Drills

Great stuff. I worked on those a lot and really helped my stickhandling.

Old
10-29-2013, 10:23 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
20 Stickhandling Drills

Great stuff. I worked on those a lot and really helped my stickhandling.
Thanks! I'll start doing these tomorrow.

Closed Thread