HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thu., Oct. 24, 2013|Rangers 1 at Flyers 2

Old
10-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Flyerfan4life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The offense will get better eventually. It has to.
yea it will...

when those players are traded to other teams...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 10:52 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungle View Post
What is wrong with Simmonds? He's never been a player that shows much emotion like a Rinaldo type player but he doesn't look like he even wants to be there right now. Even during that fight last night, it was like he was just going through the motions.

Was hoping that week off was going to shake them up. Most of them look as bad as ever. That Giroux hook was just ridiculous.
Does the fight count as emotional outburst?

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
As much as I hate to add into the conversation as a pessimist, but I can't see this team improving that much on offense until the house is cleaned. The stink of Lavy's system and coaching is still all over the place. The passing, which quite frankly has always been all over the place is still one of the biggest issues. Unless Berube isn't practicing how to make passes, I can only assume that old habits die hard and this habit is being harder than ever.

2006-07 was one of the best things that happened to players like Mike Richards because they had season to work on their game without pressure. I know I'm beating a dead horse in these boards, but Homer needs to be fired and either Hextall moved into GM role or get someone from the outside. Let them blow up the team enough to make a statement without removing the future core.

The biggest fear I have as a fan is that they begin to score goals again towards the holidays and win enough games getting them back on track, go on the Olympic break and come back and suck again, just in time for Homer to make desperate trades at the deadline.
There are 4-5 players left from the cup team. The team has already been 'blown up'. So we need to blow it up again?

More reactionary, knee-jerk crap that has to stop with this organization and fan base. We have a new coach trying to implement a brand new system for a team that looks like they never even had a meaningful training camp to begin with. It is absolutely expected to see the team looking out of sorts and in disarray when they barely put out the same line mates game to game. They are trying new things and adapting to their new defensive system which has GREATLY improved.

It's October 25th, the season ends on April 13th. 73 games to go. The absurdly low shooting percentages and non-existent PP simply can't continue to be this bad or worse over that stretch.

Maybe we won't make the playoffs. Maybe we squeak in. But to blow this team up again would be ridiculous.

Last edited by Crescent Street: 10-25-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
He's at 49.3 and he's 2nd in the league in most team % taken. Crosby is #1 and he's at 52%.
49.3 is pretty bad considering how long he's been in the league.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
It's also a sizable and alarming drop in his previous performance. Of course, practically the entire team has seen a sizable drop in all areas except save percentage and GAA.

10-25-2013, 11:48 AM
blinds

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
He was >50% before last night's game. If there is any truth to his finger still bothering him, faceoffs will be the first place that's affected. Although I don't buy it, he's just underperforming. Seems like a guy who starts to overthink and press everything. He was the same way to start last season, just give him some time. Definitely don't bench him.

But damn this board is so full of pessimists. Just because they still aren't scoring doesn't mean its time to blow up this team.

Everyone try to calm down, we're still only 9 games into the season. We're consistently looking better game to game. Hitting posts, and flubbing on great scoring chances. It's not like they're creating absolutely nothing, the puck luck is just absolutely zero and the confidence as well. Look at everyone's shooting percentages, they sure as hell aren't going to stay this low.

The defensive end of the game is looking good. Forwards are starting to show responsibility. It's not just Mason keeping us in it. There are still mistakes, and we've had a ridiculous number of them end up in the back of the net, but don't forget we're only 6 games into implementing a new system. Mistakes are expected; players still need to think about where they need to be and where they need to send the puck. Give Berube a chance, once the system becomes second nature the mistakes will come down even more.

We know our players and we know they aren't this bad. There's so much panic and pessimism people are blind to the obvious improvements this team is making. I'm very optimistic that once the goals start coming we'll be able to get back in the playoff picture.

6 of our next 9 are against division teams. We have a chance here to start clawing our way back up the standings.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 11:51 AM
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe

Dont know whats happened to this team. They need to start setting up around the Goalie crease and score some dirty goals. Schenn, Simmonds, Hartnell and Couterier all need to start doing this for the offense to have a chance going forward. With everyone skating so slowly its clear they'll struggle any other way.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 11:51 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Maybe more important than how many faceoffs Giroux wins (or loses), is where he's winning (losing) them.

The struggles on the powerlay can be a least partially linked to Giroux's inability to win the first faceoff. That's been one of the most frustrating things to watch this year.

His efforts in the faceoff circle have me convinced that his arm/wrist strength is not at their pre-surgery (healthy) level... and maybe he came back too soon.

10-25-2013, 12:00 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Maybe more important than how many faceoffs Giroux wins (or loses), is where he's winning (losing) them.

The struggles on the powerlay can be a least partially linked to Giroux's inability to win the first faceoff. That's been one of the most frustrating things to watch this year.

His efforts in the faceoff circle have me convinced that his arm/wrist strength is not at their pre-surgery (healthy) level... and maybe he came back too soon.
didnt the Flyers medical staff give a time table for his return?
Certainly they couldnt of screwed that up could they?
It would not shock me in the least if that is the case.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:12 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Good game last night, but man, this offense is struggling like something crazy. So many opportunities last night just squandered by bad shots and miscues. Yeesh.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:23 PM
bungle
Casual Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Does the fight count as emotional outburst?
Watch it again and tell me where any display of emotion comes into it.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
What I'd love to see is G's position on Team Canada be threatened, maybe that will light a fire under his ass.
It's already threatened. If he doesn't get up near a PPG pace by January he won't get near the team.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Good game last night, but man, this offense is struggling like something crazy. So many opportunities last night just squandered by bad shots and miscues. Yeesh.
They need to get Hartnell to blast bad slap passes at everyone in practice so connecting on a simple one timer will seem easy in comparison.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Curufinwe

Luke Schenn has a sneakily good wrist shot. First that goal against Carolina, and then last night that laser off the post.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 01:07 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Luke Schenn has a sneakily good wrist shot. First that goal against Carolina, and then last night that laser off the post.
Seriously, if he had a little bit better movement, I think he could become decent offensively.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
He probably has the second best shot on the blueline behind streit. If he was more mobile he could be a fixture on the 2nd unit pp.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Schenn is getting buried, any reason why?

He's only getting 15-16 TOI, last year he was easily into the 20s

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 01:33 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
He probably has the second best shot on the blueline behind streit. If he was more mobile he could be a fixture on the 2nd unit pp.
Imagine if his primary regiment for the season and into next season will be skating training to where he becomes more mobile and so on. Now that would be something fun to watch.

Old
10-25-2013, 01:40 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Imagine if his primary regiment for the season and into next season will be skating training to where he becomes more mobile and so on. Now that would be something fun to watch.
He does love that little spin move. If he could become faster and more agile...look out Bobby Orr.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 01:41 PM
SolidSnakeUS

No need for the sarcasm there man. I do think if he could be a little more mobile, he could easily be better than he is. Better than what most people think.

Old
10-25-2013, 01:45 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
No need for the sarcasm there man. I do think if he could be a little more mobile, he could easily be better than he is. Better than what most people think.
Just joshing. If he could become a little quicker it would be quite beneficial. He's actually pretty decent at carrying the puck.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Cardds

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Everyone try to calm down, we're still only 9 games into the season. We're consistently looking better game to game. Hitting posts, and flubbing on great scoring chances. It's not like they're creating absolutely nothing, the puck luck is just absolutely zero and the confidence as well. Look at everyone's shooting percentages, they sure as hell aren't going to stay this low.
I agree. They did hit a lot of of posts in last night's game.

Cardds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardds View Post
I agree. They did hit a lot of of posts in last night's game.
They have hit a silly amount this year... was it Carolina where there were like 3-4? Or was that Phoenix?

And then against Vancouver they should have had about 5 goals, 2 posts and 2 open nets missed!

And Simmonds would be leading the team in goals if he had scored on the 3 empty nets he has had!

I reckon they have hit the post 10 times this year, and missed about 6 gaping open nets.

The finishing needs to improve for sure.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 03:01 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
They have hit a silly amount this year... was it Carolina where there were like 3-4? Or was that Phoenix?

And then against Vancouver they should have had about 5 goals, 2 posts and 2 open nets missed!

And Simmonds would be leading the team in goals if he had scored on the 3 empty nets he has had!

I reckon they have hit the post 10 times this year, and missed about 6 gaping open nets.

The finishing needs to improve for sure.
That what she said

Old
10-25-2013, 03:05 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Schenn is getting buried, any reason why?

He's only getting 15-16 TOI, last year he was easily into the 20s
I think partially because he is paired with Streit (may be to cover for Mark's inefficiencies), and Mark does play shielded minutes.

Also, I do not think Luke has played reliably this year yet.

Bill Meltzer's opinion in his podcast:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...2#.UmrR4XCsjTo

Last edited by CSKA1974: 10-25-2013 at 03:26 PM.