HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

The Curious Case Of Sean Bergenheim

Old
10-24-2013, 06:57 PM
harv3317

vCash: 500
i too think bujstad needs some time in the ahl.

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 07:34 PM
FrolikFan67

finally! hes been one of my favorite players since we signed him. probably starts on the 4th for a couple games to warm up, have gomez/matthias center and winchester on the other side. bjugstad needs to play in the ahl, we have 4 centers already and hes only going to be playing bottom pairing minutes. he came back from his injury, got some games in, hopefully warmed back up and now he should go to SA and get topline minutes and continue to develop, he can come back at the deadline if we deal a center.
so happy bergy is finalllllly back!

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 09:31 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrolikFan67 View Post
finally! hes been one of my favorite players since we signed him. probably starts on the 4th for a couple games to warm up, have gomez/matthias center and winchester on the other side. bjugstad needs to play in the ahl, we have 4 centers already and hes only going to be playing bottom pairing minutes. he came back from his injury, got some games in, hopefully warmed back up and now he should go to SA and get topline minutes and continue to develop, he can come back at the deadline if we deal a center.
so happy bergy is finalllllly back!
Bjugstad is on the second line with Huberdeau and Boyes...

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordonx11 View Post

Can't skate? Yes he can are you drunk? No he can't, he no acceleration and seems lost at most points

What the hell, hasn't done anything productive? 9 games, 1 assist, -5. No he hasn't been productive.

Have you seen our PK this year? He's just been a horse on the 23rd ranked PK

Have you seen him casing havoc down low setting up guys? Nope, I have not.
Yeaaaa

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:33 PM
Chino Oscar

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez View Post
Yeaaaa
Someone needs to watch more closely

Chino Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 01:46 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Upshall hasn't been awful, but he's done nothing and adds little to justify keeping him in the lineup over anyone else. Even Uncle Jesse scored a big goal this week and Matthias has been playing possessed but not getting the breaks.

Upshall adds energy but my god his shot is probably the worst on the team. Sit him and make him hungry for more ice time. Like I said, he's got nothing particularly strong going for him. I don't understand the love for him.

So far he's been paid over $1 Million per goal scored for us.....

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 02:00 AM
FrolikFan67

well if they decide to keep bjugstad up for good then keep him there, no point on him getting bottom pairing minutes. id rather him get some ahl games in before coming in here fulltime, unless they think w/out a doubt hes ready.
wonder if they run the bergenheim-goc-kopecky line or start bergy on the 4th, wouldnt be surprised w/ either.

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chino Oscar View Post
Someone needs to watch more closely
Yes, I agree.

Old
10-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Kellyr

Now the question is how long he can stay healthy

Kellyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Chino Oscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post
Upshall hasn't been awful, but he's done nothing and adds little to justify keeping him in the lineup over anyone else. Even Uncle Jesse scored a big goal this week and Matthias has been playing possessed but not getting the breaks.

Upshall adds energy but my god his shot is probably the worst on the team. Sit him and make him hungry for more ice time. Like I said, he's got nothing particularly strong going for him. I don't understand the love for him.

So far he's been paid over $1 Million per goal scored for us.....
What exactly in Upshall's career made anyone think he was brought here for scoring / racking up points? That is not his game.

I will be the first one to agree that he has underperformed his contract, but to go as far as saying he hasn't done anything just shows that you are basing your observations just on the scoresheet.

He is playing 4th line minutes and at the very least you can count on that line to always bring effort and energy to the game. If you are expecting him to score more on that role, good luck.

Old
10-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
What exactly in Upshall's career made anyone think he was brought here for scoring / racking up points? That is not his game.

I will be the first one to agree that he has underperformed his contract, but to go as far as saying he hasn't done anything just shows that you are basing your observations just on the scoresheet.

He is playing 4th line minutes and at the very least you can count on that line to always bring effort and energy to the game. If you are expecting him to score more on that role, good luck.
He was brought in to score, he hasn't, he hasn't been good either. Nobody wants him, otherwise he'd be dealt. Guaranteed.

Old
10-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Chino Oscar

Quote:
He was brought in to score, he hasn't, he hasn't been good either. Nobody wants him, otherwise he'd be dealt. Guaranteed.
He has only scored more than 20 goals in a season ONCE in his career... so, he was brought in to score?

He was brought in for his toughness, character and because he is a pest out on the ice

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/feed...cottie-upshall

Nobody wants him because of his contract and his latest rash of injuries.

Last edited by Chino Oscar: 10-25-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old
10-25-2013, 01:17 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Quote:

I do not understand your hard-on for Upshall. I just can't comprehend it.

We've seen a kid who hasn't play in the NHL for 2 years come right into our roster and show way more than Upshall has in his 2+years year (talking about Uncle Jesse).

He's a 4th liner. If he was playing better, he'd be on a better line. It's that simple. I never said he doesn't put in the effort. I also never said I was expecting him to score a lot. But 6 goals as a Panther? Seriously?

He's a liability offensively. He kills plays. He shoots the puck so damn wide it rips around the boards and comes out almost every time. He's a great energy guy for the playoffs, but if we're talking about Bergy coming back from injury, well that's a big upgrade over Upshall.

Trust me, I loved the Upshall signing at the time. Yah the money was a bit high but I saw what this guy could bring to the table. So far, he hasn't really brought it here in Florida. I know injuries have hampered his progress here but this team isn't going to sit around and wait for Scottie Upshall to find his game again. At least last season he was throwing big hits. Even that seems to have left his repertoire.

At this point, the only player I would play Upshall over on our roster would be Barch. I would love to hear your reasoning otherwise. And don't give me that BS "he plays on the 4th line what do you expect" nonsense. So does Matthias, so does Winchester. I see a LOT more effort and contribution to this team from them than from Upshall.

Old
10-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Chino Oscar

Quote:
I do not understand your hard-on for Upshall. I just can't comprehend it.
Hard-on? Stating that he is not the utter crap some on these thread think he is hardly constitutes having a hard-on for a player

We've seen a kid who hasn't play in the NHL for 2 years come right into our roster and show way more than Upshall has in his 2+years year (talking about Uncle Jesse).
No one is saying the contrary. Winchester has been a great find

He's a 4th liner. If he was playing better, he'd be on a better line. It's that simple. I never said he doesn't put in the effort. I also never said I was expecting him to score a lot. But 6 goals as a Panther? Seriously?
Well, lets break it down. 2011-2012 he played in 26 out of the 82 games. 2012-2013 he played in 27 out of 48 games. Mostly due to injury and yes, the odd scratch here and there. He was never brought in to be a 1st or 2nd line player if you look at the forwards on the team when he has been here. Bergenheim, Fleishman, Versteeg, Kopecky, Samuelson, etc. I would argue, he at most would be a 3rd line winger and based on what he did before he got to FL that would be just about where you would expect him to be. I also agree he should produce more, but he is in no way a 1st or 2nd line player

He's a liability offensively. He kills plays. He shoots the puck so damn wide it rips around the boards and comes out almost every time. He's a great energy guy for the playoffs, but if we're talking about Bergy coming back from injury, well that's a big upgrade over Upshall.
Not hitting the net with shots is a team wide problem as we have seen. Do you put Bergy on the 3rd or 4th line once he is fully recuperated? NO. Bergy is top 2 line material so he should be (and is) an upgrade over Upshall in that role. As a 3rd or 4th line player skating hard, putting pressure on the opposing defenders by forechecking, crashing into other players, I prefer Upshall for that role

Trust me, I loved the Upshall signing at the time. Yah the money was a bit high but I saw what this guy could bring to the table. So far, he hasn't really brought it here in Florida. I know injuries have hampered his progress here but this team isn't going to sit around and wait for Scottie Upshall to find his game again. At least last season he was throwing big hits. Even that seems to have left his repertoire.
Contract is an issue, but just because the team was willing to pay him good money doesn't mean he will morph into something he is not. He has underperformed his contract, but if his contract wasn't as "high" as it is, I don't think we will be hearing too many complaints. And yes, injuries have been a problem and have affected his production. You never know what is going on with player injuries (case in point this thread, Bergenheim has been recovering forever and we don't even know if he will be the same player coming back

At this point, the only player I would play Upshall over on our roster would be Barch. I would love to hear your reasoning otherwise. And don't give me that BS "he plays on the 4th line what do you expect" nonsense. So does Matthias, so does Winchester. I see a LOT more effort and contribution to this team from them than from Upshall.
I may be wrong but, don't you have to take into consideration what role you want that player to fill? As a 3rd/4th line energy player I would put him above Versteeg/Fleishman/Boyes and the aforementioned Barch at least. As a scoring winger on the top 2 lines, he would not sit anyone
comments above

Last edited by Chino Oscar: 10-25-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old
10-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Nobody signs players for 3.5 mil to be 4th line pests, sorry. Especially not cash strapped teams.

Old
10-25-2013, 03:25 PM
hockeydude1
More Cowbell!

For whatever reason, he's back now. Hopefully the time off won't hurt his play. He will deffinetly be a bit rusty.

hockeydude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Chino Oscar

Quote:
Nobody signs players for 3.5 mil to be 4th line pests, sorry. Especially not cash strapped teams.

That year they needed to sign guys because they were under the NHL salary floor (i.e. they were spending too little, so they HAD to bring up their roster salary).

Everyone agrees he was signed to a bad deal and there was a reason why. It did not mean he was expected to play (or produce) in either of the top 2 lines like you are implying.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...year-14m-deal/

Old
10-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:

That year they needed to sign guys because they were under the NHL salary floor (i.e. they were spending too little, so they HAD to bring up their roster salary).

Everyone agrees he was signed to a bad deal and there was a reason why. It did not mean he was expected to play (or produce) in either of the top 2 lines like you are implying.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...year-14m-deal/
Regardless of how much we needed to spend, whether he's on a minimum contract or maximum contract.. You absolutely cannot sit there and fight the fact that he has been horrendous and just wasting a spot that one of our kids could fill. I will be the first to admit when I am wrong, but he's just not worth the time to even debate anymore.

Old
10-25-2013, 06:37 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Ohhh, I wonder why the high energy, always contributing Upshall is a healthy scratch tonight?

Old
10-26-2013, 03:08 AM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydude1 View Post
For whatever reason, he's back now. Hopefully the time off won't hurt his play. He will deffinetly be a bit rusty.
Was surprisingly un-rusty

wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Chino Oscar

Quote:
Ohhh, I wonder why the high energy, always contributing Upshall is a healthy scratch tonight?
I was floored when I saw that!
At any rate, Bergy was great in his first game back. Hoping he can replace Versteeg on top lines soon.

Old
10-26-2013, 10:45 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Quote:
I was floored when I saw that!
At any rate, Bergy was great in his first game back. Hoping he can replace Versteeg on top lines soon.
More like immediately.

Old
10-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Erick

Upshall was brought in to score. Saying otherwise is ridiculous because that's the only thing he's done in his career.

You don't pay a player the type of money we paid him to be a 4th line grinder.

They were taking a risk that he'd stay healthy and, thus, would produce more goals. What's happened is that he's always injured and he hasn't even been good when healthy.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 05:19 PM
Chino Oscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Upshall was brought in to score. Saying otherwise is ridiculous because that's the only thing he's done in his career.

You don't pay a player the type of money we paid him to be a 4th line grinder.

They were taking a risk that he'd stay healthy and, thus, would produce more goals. What's happened is that he's always injured and he hasn't even been good when healthy.
Erick, please follow the links ive provided above and take a look at Upshalls stats in his career. Look at the other wingers we have had on the team during his entire tenure here and realistically ask yourself if any coach would put Upshall ahead of any of themin a scoring role.

He has only scored more than 20 goals once in his career, do you think they trust someone like that to be your scorer?

He is what he is, and that is not a scorer. If you can't see it or won't see regardless of the evidence that is your problem.

Has he underperformed? certainly