HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tie Domi interview his take on Violence in NHL

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-25-2013, 09:43 AM
  #1
Dagoon44
Registered User
 
Dagoon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,880
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Tie Domi interview his take on Violence in NHL

Tie is very good here. He is a lil cocky but makes great points
Mins5-10 very good and great job of calling out non tough guys who are playing dirty

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/d...wer-in-studio/

Dagoon44 is online now  
Old
10-25-2013, 11:14 AM
  #2
ZacUSNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Upstate, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
Isn't this the guy that sucker punched someone for calling him a dumbass?

ZacUSNYR is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 01:00 PM
  #3
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,664
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacUSNYR View Post
Isn't this the guy that sucker punched someone for calling him a dumbass?
exactly, which makes him the exact right person to be talking about violence in the NHL

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 02:45 PM
  #4
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,022
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacUSNYR View Post
Isn't this the guy that sucker punched someone for calling him a dumbass?
Not sure where some of you guys grew up. And what I am about to say may have been something that your fathers or grandfathers had to deal with when they were growing up.

My father told me that he was in no less than 12-15 fights JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE WOULD PRONOUNCE HIS LAST NAME WRONG.

I checked with my friends fathers and they confirmed that they too had numerous fights for the very same reason.

My father taught me that when someone mocked my last name, to beat the piss out of that person.

It's a matter of respect.

Now, if you listened to that tape, Domi stated that the elbow to Neids head was stupid, but ht took what Ulfie was saying as a form of dis-respect to his and his fathers last name and did what he did.

I had never heard that that was the reason he did what he did, but hearing that just now makes alot of sense for me.

I don't agree with it, but I at least understand it.

As a whole, he is 1000% correct about why we see guys taking liberties and getting hurt because the guys that are doing these things rarely have to stand and be counted because of the preventive 2-5-10 penalty that comes along with instigating.

Say what you want about Tie the player/person/enforcer but the message he delivered in this video clip is ****ing gospel.

pld459666 is online now  
Old
10-25-2013, 02:56 PM
  #5
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,735
vCash: 500
Awards:
I agree that the instigator penalty should be abolished entirely.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now  
Old
10-25-2013, 04:54 PM
  #6
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Not sure where some of you guys grew up. And what I am about to say may have been something that your fathers or grandfathers had to deal with when they were growing up.

My father told me that he was in no less than 12-15 fights JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE WOULD PRONOUNCE HIS LAST NAME WRONG.

I checked with my friends fathers and they confirmed that they too had numerous fights for the very same reason.

My father taught me that when someone mocked my last name, to beat the piss out of that person.

It's a matter of respect.

Now, if you listened to that tape, Domi stated that the elbow to Neids head was stupid, but ht took what Ulfie was saying as a form of dis-respect to his and his fathers last name and did what he did.

I had never heard that that was the reason he did what he did, but hearing that just now makes alot of sense for me.

I don't agree with it, but I at least understand it.

As a whole, he is 1000% correct about why we see guys taking liberties and getting hurt because the guys that are doing these things rarely have to stand and be counted because of the preventive 2-5-10 penalty that comes along with instigating.

Say what you want about Tie the player/person/enforcer but the message he delivered in this video clip is ****ing gospel.
There's a lot to that. My dad would tell me the same stuff about when he was growing up. Any kind of personal remarks last name or not---just the tone could set people off. And you had to look people in the eye. The neighborhood I grew up in was mainly Irish at one time but was kind of mixed but close by there were areas of primarily Polish or Italian kids and they stuck together. They were all working class. In a stretch of about 10 blocks there were three RC churches--Polish, Italian and Irish and they all competed against each other. They all had different schools. I was RC as well but I went to public school. The east side of town was primarily black. It was tribal wherever you went and you just didn't go walking around someone else's neighborhood.


Last edited by eco's bones: 10-25-2013 at 05:00 PM.
eco's bones is offline  
Old
10-25-2013, 04:58 PM
  #7
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,261
vCash: 500
As for Domi. Great Ranger. He indeed stuck up for his teammates every time. He never backed down and for being kind of small he was a hell of a fighter. A legit heavyweight. What's more he could skate and hit. Very good speed--lots of agility. Pound for pound probably the toughest Rangers player that I've ever witnessed in action. Capable of putting up some points as well. I'd be willing to give him a tryout today. It wouldn't hurt.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 05:56 AM
  #8
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Not sure where some of you guys grew up. And what I am about to say may have been something that your fathers or grandfathers had to deal with when they were growing up.

My father told me that he was in no less than 12-15 fights JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE WOULD PRONOUNCE HIS LAST NAME WRONG.

I checked with my friends fathers and they confirmed that they too had numerous fights for the very same reason.

My father taught me that when someone mocked my last name, to beat the piss out of that person.

It's a matter of respect.

Now, if you listened to that tape, Domi stated that the elbow to Neids head was stupid, but ht took what Ulfie was saying as a form of dis-respect to his and his fathers last name and did what he did.

I had never heard that that was the reason he did what he did, but hearing that just now makes alot of sense for me.

I don't agree with it, but I at least understand it.

As a whole, he is 1000% correct about why we see guys taking liberties and getting hurt because the guys that are doing these things rarely have to stand and be counted because of the preventive 2-5-10 penalty that comes along with instigating.

Say what you want about Tie the player/person/enforcer but the message he delivered in this video clip is ****ing gospel.
This is the type of mentality that drives gangs to kill each other over imaginary turf.

chosen is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 07:55 AM
  #9
Lindberg Cheese
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: VA
Posts: 643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Not sure where some of you guys grew up. And what I am about to say may have been something that your fathers or grandfathers had to deal with when they were growing up.

My father told me that he was in no less than 12-15 fights JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE WOULD PRONOUNCE HIS LAST NAME WRONG.

I checked with my friends fathers and they confirmed that they too had numerous fights for the very same reason.

My father taught me that when sormeone mocked my last name, to beat the piss out of that person.

It's a matter of respect.

Now, if you listened to that tape, Domi stated that the elbow to Neids head was stupid, but ht took what Ulfie was saying as a form of dis-respect to his and his fathers last name and did what he did.

I had never heard that that was the reason he did what he did, but hearing that just now makes alot of sense for me.

I don't agree with it, but I at least understand it.

As a whole, he is 1000% correct about why we see guys taking liberties and getting hurt because the guys that are doing these things rarely have to stand and be counted because of the preventive 2-5-10 penalty that comes along with instigating.

Say what you want about Tie the player/person/enforcer but the message he delivered in this video clip is ****ing gospel.
Word to this. Cant stand it when visored guys start fights and then league penalizes helmet removal.

Dying to know what your last name is if it werent for the public forum. I knew a Gaylord growing up, that was rough. Not to mention that kid Dootch.

Lindberg Cheese is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 10:41 AM
  #10
sark76
HFBoards Sponsor
 
sark76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pripyat Marshes
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 626
vCash: 500
He wants to get involved now that his kid is coming into the NHL. Max domi is going to be a great player but he's the opposite of his father

sark76 is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 04:49 PM
  #11
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,342
vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
As for Domi. Great Ranger. He indeed stuck up for his teammates every time. He never backed down and for being kind of small he was a hell of a fighter. A legit heavyweight. What's more he could skate and hit. Very good speed--lots of agility. Pound for pound probably the toughest Rangers player that I've ever witnessed in action. Capable of putting up some points as well. I'd be willing to give him a tryout today. It wouldn't hurt.
Domi, Kocur was one brutal combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
exactly, which makes him the exact right person to be talking about violence in the NHL
Tie says it himself at about 8:55, "you're asking the wrong guy about this whole hockey thing"

During the summer the NHL should commission a panel of bright retired and active players like Richards, Crosby, Higgins, Moore, Messier, Gretzky, Lemieux, Parros, Laraque, Yzerman, etc. and have them make recommendations on what to do and how to do it.

vipernsx is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 05:15 PM
  #12
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,022
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by sark76 View Post
He wants to get involved now that his kid is coming into the NHL. Max domi is going to be a great player but he's the opposite of his father
I'd want to be involved as well. Knowing ur son has a target on his back ud want to make sure he had guys on his team to help keep opposing teams honest as well.

pld459666 is online now  
Old
10-26-2013, 06:05 PM
  #13
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,390
vCash: 500
yeah, the instigator penalty is really dumb.

i'm wondering if some sort of "recklessness" system can be used. sort of like the point system you get from driving violations. you accrue points over your career, more points for more reckless acts, and the severity of your suspension and future suspensions is amplified by how many points you've accrued.

At some point, you have so many points, you know the next suspension, however small is going to be for the rest of the season, or 25 games, something epically massive (especially the lost pay from such a suspension).

Your recklessness points would also effect how much you can get in contract negotiations much in the same way it would affect a player with multiple concussion history. The concussion prone guy might be one concussion away from retirement. The reckless guy would then be one reckless hit away from a 1 year suspension (which I think should still eat up one of the team's 50 contracts so while retirement by concussion sucks waaaay more, it would have some much more serious consequences). That would be a potential system for accountability.

maybe you can shed points after a 5 year good behavior period? i don't know how that works with driver's licenses.

n8 is online now  
Old
10-27-2013, 04:39 AM
  #14
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
There's a lot to that. My dad would tell me the same stuff about when he was growing up. Any kind of personal remarks last name or not---just the tone could set people off. And you had to look people in the eye. The neighborhood I grew up in was mainly Irish at one time but was kind of mixed but close by there were areas of primarily Polish or Italian kids and they stuck together. They were all working class. In a stretch of about 10 blocks there were three RC churches--Polish, Italian and Irish and they all competed against each other. They all had different schools. I was RC as well but I went to public school. The east side of town was primarily black. It was tribal wherever you went and you just didn't go walking around someone else's neighborhood.
Is this something to be proud of?

Mr Atoz* is offline  
Old
10-27-2013, 04:42 AM
  #15
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
My father told me that he was in no less than 12-15 fights JUST BECAUSE PEOPLE WOULD PRONOUNCE HIS LAST NAME WRONG.

Well you must admit 459666 doesn't exactly roll off your tongue.

Mr Atoz* is offline  
Old
10-27-2013, 08:04 AM
  #16
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Is this something to be proud of?
It's the way it was. Not everyone is brought up in a s**** neighborhood.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
10-27-2013, 09:30 AM
  #17
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,022
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Well you must admit 459666 doesn't exactly roll off your tongue.





pld459666 is online now  
Old
10-27-2013, 09:33 AM
  #18
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,022
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
This is the type of mentality that drives gangs to kill each other over imaginary turf.
No, the mentality that causes what you describe is not being able to get into a fight, lose and lose with dignity.

Losses happen. Accept the loss move on....OR fight him again until you are happy with the pound of flesh you have extracted.

******* go out and get guns and knives and kill each other.

pld459666 is online now  
Old
10-27-2013, 09:34 AM
  #19
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,022
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Is this something to be proud of?
I would rather grow up in that world then, then with the *****es and punks that roam the streets today carrying guns.

absolutely

pld459666 is online now  
Old
10-27-2013, 10:56 AM
  #20
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I would rather grow up in that world then, then with the *****es and punks that roam the streets today carrying guns.

absolutely

You don't understand it's the same mentality.

Mr Atoz* is offline  
Old
10-27-2013, 10:59 AM
  #21
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,022
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
You don't understand it's the same mentality.
No its not.

After a fist fight its usually over.

Now its guys coming back with guns and ****.

Big difference.

pld459666 is online now  
Old
10-27-2013, 11:15 AM
  #22
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
No its not.

After a fist fight its usually over.

Now its guys coming back with guns and ****.

Big difference.
I was born in 1957 and it may be that Mr. Atoz is a lot younger. I was very young when the likes of JFK, RFK and MLK were being murdered. There was a lot of anger in the 60's. People who weren't alive then read about it in the history books which is great but it misses a bit of what was actually happening.

From my parents generation (the part that I miss a bit of) they both came out of the depression--my dad's father who was dead before I was even born worked for the Post Office--he was a WWI vet--he always had a job. My grandfather on my mother's side was a veteran too (funny how many veterans there used to be--like just about 85% of the male population) but struggled throughout those years--sometimes working and sometimes not for an industrial firm that built fire trucks. My dad was a WWII vet--in the Pacific with the Marine Corps--purple heart--the whole nine yards and then he went back for Korea. He dug ditches and sewer lines with a shovel for the city between the wars. After Korea he became a prison guard. He had some ideas that would really be out there these days. I don't happen to agree with a lot of those views but he was by no means stupid--he was a very well read prison guard. There was never a day that he was not reading a book.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
10-27-2013, 11:30 AM
  #23
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
No its not.

After a fist fight its usually over.

Now its guys coming back with guns and ****.

Big difference.

Yes it is the same mentality. The mentality that I can't walk 10 blocks from my house because I'm on someone else's tribal 'turf' and they're all going to jump me with fists or guns because they're too insecure and stupid to do anything else and the only way they can feel important or superior is to gang up on someone that doesn't break their eggs on the same end as they do. This is a recipe for being a Third World country, which the USA is returning to while moronically celebrating the gang culture for fear of being labeled racist.

Mr Atoz* is offline  
Old
10-27-2013, 11:35 AM
  #24
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,735
vCash: 500
Awards:
Okay, this has become sufficiently off-topic. We're done.

nyr2k2 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.