HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10/24/2013 - When Yetis Attack - WPG/NSH

Old
10-25-2013, 10:03 AM
wadesworld

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Typical Preds game. Moments of brilliance mixed in with long stretches of ineptitude. We have to be one of the worst passing teams in the league. So many times, we couldn't get past the center line, much less the gain the zone because we couldn't connect a pass. .
Overall I think our passing looks better this year than in recent memory.

But we still are maddeningly inept passing in the offensive zone. We'll have a two-on-one and pass it right on the defender's stick. Or if the pass gets through, we can't handle it when it arrives.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 10:48 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Overall I think our passing looks better this year than in recent memory.

But we still are maddeningly inept passing in the offensive zone. We'll have a two-on-one and pass it right on the defender's stick. Or if the pass gets through, we can't handle it when it arrives.
I agree, especially in transition, which was a huge problem last season.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 10:55 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Craig Smith deserved that goal after the game he had. easily the most dangerous player on the ice and the Cullen line is really playing well right now.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
Craig Smith deserved that goal after the game he had. easily the most dangerous player on the ice and the Cullen line is really playing well right now.
Yes, yes it is... how would you rank our lines in terms of effectiveness right now ... I know that line is kicking ass and taking names right now, but what about the Fisher ... Legwand & Nystrom lines ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 12:50 PM
PFL615

- I am so glad Smith is quieting all his haters this year. You are seeing the results of being able to play with players who compliment each other.

-With that being said I am not going to judge Stalberg until he is given a chance and used on a correct line. 4th line with grinders is just stupid and makes me laugh at Trotz.

-I am not impressed with Hendricks just like the rest of us. However the comments about no one standing up to buf boy is incorrect. I saw for my own eyes Hendricks trying to fight Buf two times behind plays and big boy wouldn't go. He is the only Preds player I saw even touching buf after Weber got in his face.

-Hope someone decides to work on breakaways and odd man rushes. Way to many last night not to atleast bury one.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 01:52 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
-Hope someone decides to work on breakaways and odd man rushes. Way to many last night not to atleast bury one.
I was just saying this to a friend of mine. Totally agree. Not just last night, but all season so far. They back off from driving the net and seem comfortable with a snap shot from the top of the circle.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 03:23 PM
goeb

Wow just saw highlights of the game, Pavelec played pretty well for the Jets...he absolutely robbed Cullen near the end of the 1st.

Preds need to stop being so conservative with the lead, this prevent defense doesn't work in the newer NHL.

goeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 03:43 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeb View Post
Wow just saw highlights of the game, Pavelec played pretty well for the Jets...he absolutely robbed Cullen near the end of the 1st.

Preds need to stop being so conservative with the lead, this prevent defense doesn't work in the newer NHL.
They actually played better with the lead than when they were tied, as I wrote here:

http://www.thepredatorial.com/2013/1...ber-24th-2013/

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Montross
Favoritism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
They actually played better with the lead than when they were tied, as I wrote here:

Didn't know you are JN. Keep writing the adv. stats recaps, those are pretty interesting.

Montross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 08:28 PM
goeb

Quote:

Nice utilization of Corsi, but I meant after they took the 2-1 lead, they really sagged back especially the last 5 minutes.

Looking at Corsi though, Preds aren't too horrible in that respect, they need to start getting some breaks with their shots on net.

However if you consider their faceoff prowess, Preds puck possession stats should be much better but that would involve ditching the dump and chase strategy.

goeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 08:28 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Yes, yes it is... how would you rank our lines in terms of effectiveness right now ... I know that line is kicking ass and taking names right now, but what about the Fisher ... Legwand & Nystrom lines ?
It depends on what you are looking for. In terms of effectiveness and doing what we are paying them to do, the Gaustad line is doing well. effective at ES and can't argue with the pk here recently.

The Cullen line is our most dangerous line, but still prone to Smith trying to much and bourque turning the puck over too easily.

The Legwand line has been in flux with the fisher injury. Forsberg has that lotta activity but not much achievement thing going right now.

I think the Fisher line, at ES has been disappointing for me. PP they do ok, but even strength something is missing.

I don't like to rank lines per say, but look at the roles they are there to perform.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:01 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Legwand, according to that, had an awful nigt (2 assist) and Hendricks had a good night (2 minute penalty)

That's another feather in the cap for advanced stats.

Old
10-25-2013, 09:43 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Legwand, according to that, had an awful nigt (2 assist) and Hendricks had a good night (2 minute penalty)

Legwand did have a bad night when looking at comparative shots. He had a good night getting the puck to scorers. Hendricks had a decent night when looking at comparative shots, did take a penalty, then did some things that don't show on any stat sheet when killing off the Fisher penalty.

Basic and advanced stats have their roles and measure specific areas but need contextual discussion ... not looked at in a vacuum.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:56 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:

Depends on where you land in the overall debate. Don Cherry and Phil Esposito staunchly say that it's all garbage, and points are the only stats that matter. Of course they're great, but in the big picture, they're not a great measure of the sort of game that a player had.

If, say, Colin Wilson loses puck battles all night, is constantly chasing opposing players without the puck, and is generally on the ice for far more shots against than shots for...but in one 30 second span, gets a pass from Weber and scores the game winning goal, can you say that overall, he played a strong game?

It's not about discrediting players in a small sample, it's about establishing predictability and overall likelihood of long-term success--and I did state that typically Legwand falls in the "even" range. I was just pointing out that, on the whole, he was weaker than normal in driving play.

Old
10-26-2013, 11:09 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll say that you have to take the good with the bad but the bottom line is Wilson's play helped get the win.

I don't think stats ever tell the entire story. Hockey isn't a game of stats, is about countering mistakes at the right time and right place.

In the end, the only stat that matters is Wins and losses.

Old
10-26-2013, 08:50 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
I'll say that you have to take the good with the bad but the bottom line is Wilson's play helped get the win.

I don't think stats ever tell the entire story. Hockey isn't a game of stats, is about countering mistakes at the right time and right place.

In the end, the only stat that matters is Wins and losses.
I agree with that, but the general wisdom is "teams that possess the puck tend to win more games." The last 5 cup winners have been top 5 possession teams, even the 8th place Kings in 2012.

It's interesting that Trotz, long a proponent of "shot quality over shot quantity" in defending players like Kostitsyn and Erat has made quite a few allusions to the changes in personnel and strategy that they've made to generate more possession and more shot attempts. He even used the C-word(Corsi, you animals) when talking about Gaustad.

The old school types resisted a lot of this information for a long time, just like they resisted Sabremetrics in baseball. Now, in MLB, everyone uses it and has Sabremetricians on staff, so it's hard to get an edge...so they're focusing on even newer stats. Just funny how much math there is under the surface, and how understanding it can help you put the right players on your team.