HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hellberg deserves a shot

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-25-2013, 10:50 PM
  #1
PredsHabs
Registered User
 
PredsHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lyles,TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Hellberg deserves a shot

I know this is not going to be popular but I believe we need to see what we have in Magnus Hellberg for one of two reasons. Either to see what we have in case the Rinne infection is worse than first known or to see what we have to trade Rinne for offensive talent for the future. There are plenty of teams who need Rinne and if Hellberg is ready give him the team. Rinne could fetch us a #1 Center or something of great value for years to come. So what do you think should we give Hellberg a shot or not?

PredsHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 10:57 PM
  #2
Paulinho
No Man's Sky
 
Paulinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 2,301
vCash: 500
No. No need to panic, just let him back up and get a start here and there.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 11:05 PM
  #3
PredsV82
Polishing Turds
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turdistan
Country: Poland
Posts: 22,447
vCash: 160
The situation with Rinne is a paradox. If he returns to full form, we need him and there's no way Hellburg is going to be that good yet. If he's not the same Rinne after the injury, nobody is going to trade for him with T more years at 7 mil on his contract.

So just chill, let Hutton carry the load with Hellberg getting a start in selected BTBs

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 11:11 PM
  #4
Iron Duke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fontana, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,023
vCash: 500
Always good to see what we have, but I think you're way overestimating Rinne's possible value. Goalies rarely return as high a trade value as one would expect. These articles are an interesting read on the topic:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...e-trade-market
http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...er-trade-value
http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.co...g-a-top-goalie

The only ones which really involved what would could be considered 1st line players were the Luongo trade, which brought back Bertuzzi (post-Steve Moore Bert), and the Brad Richards deal, which involved Mike Smith. Overall, the returns are pretty underwhelming, and I don't see Rinne's $7M per being any more enticing a part of the deal either.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 11:32 PM
  #5
PredsHabs
Registered User
 
PredsHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lyles,TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Always good to see what we have, but I think you're way overestimating Rinne's possible value. Goalies rarely return as high a trade value as one would expect. These articles are an interesting read on the topic:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...e-trade-market
http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/20...er-trade-value
http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.co...g-a-top-goalie

The only ones which really involved what would could be considered 1st line players were the Luongo trade, which brought back Bertuzzi (post-Steve Moore Bert), and the Brad Richards deal, which involved Mike Smith. Overall, the returns are pretty underwhelming, and I don't see Rinne's $7M per being any more enticing a part of the deal either.
Very interesting reads.

PredsHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 11:36 PM
  #6
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Even if Hellberg starts 10 games, we won't know what we have. Way too small of a sample size.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 11:48 PM
  #7
Nashville Transplant
Registered User
 
Nashville Transplant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nash/LA
Posts: 731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Even if Hellberg starts 10 games, we won't know what we have. Way too small of a sample size.
Hutton is in a similar situation. Both will get some games over the next 4 weeks...

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 06:40 AM
  #8
PredsV82
Polishing Turds
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Turdistan
Country: Poland
Posts: 22,447
vCash: 160
Best case scenario:

Rinne returns with no drop off in play

Hutton impresses in his absence

Hellberg gets valuable experience

eventually we trade Hutton for some decent assets like we did with Lindback

Hellberg becomes the backup for a couple of years then challenges Rinne for the starting spot as Rinne's contract nears its end


Worst case scenario:

Rinne is never the same, Hutton is not great, and Hellberg is not ready for prime time for another three years

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:19 AM
  #9
kypredsfan
Smashville Subban
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hermitage, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 5,002
vCash: 500
I agree he needs a shot, but just a few here and now for now. Let Hutton prove his worth (and he has so far).

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:24 AM
  #10
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 3,040
vCash: 500
He will get his shot. On a different night against a different team, Hutton is going to get burned by his rebounds and it will be ugly.

braindead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:50 AM
  #11
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,578
vCash: 500
No you don't trade one of your legit superstars for the grass may be greener on the other side philosophy.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:32 AM
  #12
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Best case scenario:

Rinne returns with no drop off in play

Hutton impresses in his absence

Hellberg gets valuable experience

eventually we trade Hutton for some decent assets like we did with Lindback

Hellberg becomes the backup for a couple of years then challenges Rinne for the starting spot as Rinne's contract nears its end


Worst case scenario:

Rinne is never the same, Hutton is not great, and Hellberg is not ready for prime time for another three years
True, so true. Also let's wait till Get Carter needs a rest.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 12:16 PM
  #13
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Best case scenario:

Rinne returns with no drop off in play

Hutton impresses in his absence

Hellberg gets valuable experience

eventually we trade Hutton for some decent assets like we did with Lindback

Hellberg becomes the backup for a couple of years then challenges Rinne for the starting spot as Rinne's contract nears its end


Worst case scenario:

Rinne is never the same, Hutton is not great, and Hellberg is not ready for prime time for another three years
I am not a doctor; who really knows how it will turn out for Rinne?

Hutton was like a wall in the AHL. That serve him well in the NHL.

Hellberg, IMO, should be ready for the NHL next season, at least as a back up. This is his year to dominate in the AHL. He showed good growth last season in Milwaukee, his first in North America.

I believe that Nashville will be okay with Hutton and Hellberg, at least for November. I am more concerned about the Preds scoring ability. I am afraid of Nashville being on the wrong end of 1-0 and 2-1 games.

This will give me a chance to see Mazanec and Darling (Cincinnati call up) play. They may be the goalies of the future.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 12:40 PM
  #14
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I am not a doctor; who really knows how it will turn out for Rinne?

Hutton was like a wall in the AHL. That serve him well in the NHL.

Hellberg, IMO, should be ready for the NHL next season, at least as a back up. This is his year to dominate in the AHL. He showed good growth last season in Milwaukee, his first in North America.

I believe that Nashville will be okay with Hutton and Hellberg, at least for November. I am more concerned about the Preds scoring ability. I am afraid of Nashville being on the wrong end of 1-0 and 2-1 games.
Agreed, I think that Hutton continues to improve his game under the daily direction of Mitch Korn and being challenged by NHL shooters and with Hellberg now getting that same opportunity he too will be able to step up his game and continue his development path to the NHL for next season.

All you ask your goalie to do is give the team a chance to win the game. I think Hutton and Hellberg can do that for the next month-plus, but they cannot score goals which are needed to win. They've gotta get help in front of them.

Quote:
This will give me a chance to see Mazanec and Darling (Cincinnati call up) play. They may be the goalies of the future.
Mazanec was very impressive in training camp when Hellberg went down. I think this will be a great opportunity for him to get quality playing time while Hellberg is in Nashville.

Darling though is going to improve by facing better competition even as a backup to Mazanec in Milwaukee. He is No. 5 on the depth chart this season, but the team would likely sign a free agent before bringing him up at this point.

Juuse Saros and Janne Juvonen were drafted this past summer and will be fighting their way into the system soon enough. They are the future behind Hellberg and Mazanec.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 12:51 PM
  #15
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Lake View Post
Agreed, I think that Hutton continues to improve his game under the daily direction of Mitch Korn and being challenged by NHL shooters and with Hellberg now getting that same opportunity he too will be able to step up his game and continue his development path to the NHL for next season.

All you ask your goalie to do is give the team a chance to win the game. I think Hutton and Hellberg can do that for the next month-plus, but they cannot score goals which are needed to win. They've gotta get help in front of them.



Mazanec was very impressive in training camp when Hellberg went down. I think this will be a great opportunity for him to get quality playing time while Hellberg is in Nashville.

Darling though is going to improve by facing better competition even as a backup to Mazanec in Milwaukee. He is No. 5 on the depth chart this season, but the team would likely sign a free agent before bringing him up at this point.

Juuse Saros and Janne Juvonen were drafted this past summer and will be fighting their way into the system soon enough. They are the future behind Hellberg and Mazanec.
I think you misunderstood. The future for Mazanec or Darling in Nashville is 3 to 5 years away, not this season. I haven't seen either one play in person yet!

Mazanec won at Grand Rapids last Friday, last year's Calder Cup champions. They have a lot of guys back this year. That is a good sign for Milwaukee this season.


Last edited by adsfan: 10-26-2013 at 01:03 PM.
adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 05:10 PM
  #16
Soundgarden
Registered User
 
Soundgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 9,732
vCash: 500
He'll get a shot eventually, I'm sure just sitting on the bench will prove to be a good learning experience for him. Not to mention practicing with Korn this month.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 05:22 PM
  #17
Gnashville
Why? Poile Why??
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Crossville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 7,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
I know this is not going to be popular but I believe we need to see what we have in Magnus Hellberg for one of two reasons. Either to see what we have in case the Rinne infection is worse than first known or to see what we have to trade Rinne for offensive talent for the future. There are plenty of teams who need Rinne and if Hellberg is ready give him the team. Rinne could fetch us a #1 Center or something of great value for years to come. So what do you think should we give Hellberg a shot or not?
The only thing you said right was "this is not going to be popular"

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 05:45 PM
  #18
StarvinArvin38
Weber/Neal/Rinne
 
StarvinArvin38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Yesterday
Country: Ireland
Posts: 4,166
vCash: 500
holy shark jumping batman

StarvinArvin38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 06:11 PM
  #19
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 6,470
vCash: 500
It didn't even take 48 hours from finding out Hellberg was called up ... less than that from the time we found out what the issue is ... for this to pop up. Once again we see the all too common overreaction.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:36 PM
  #20
triggrman
Registered User
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,270
vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
It didn't even take 48 hours from finding out Hellberg was called up ... less than that from the time we found out what the issue is ... for this to pop up. Once again we see the all too common overreaction.
Crazy but predictable.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:42 PM
  #21
Nashville Transplant
Registered User
 
Nashville Transplant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nash/LA
Posts: 731
vCash: 500
well, he got a shot... and missed it then he made three saves!

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:48 PM
  #22
adsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Transplant View Post
well, he got a shot... and missed it then he made three saves!
He isn't Dave Reece!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:10 AM
  #23
PredsHabs
Registered User
 
PredsHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lyles,TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
I believe we need to see what we have in Magnus Hellberg for one of two reasons.
Did you miss this part of my original post?

PredsHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 03:17 PM
  #24
Nashville Transplant
Registered User
 
Nashville Transplant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nash/LA
Posts: 731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
He isn't Dave Reece!
I'm old enough to have seen Dave Reece play, but I don't get the context. Fill me in

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.