HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kreider & Stepan Have To Start Playing Mean

Old
10-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Kreider & Stepan Have To Start Playing Mean

One thing Ive noticed from these 2 guys, when they start hitting people, I mean really hitting people, they get more involved in all aspects of the game. It seems to get their juices flowing. When theyre trying to be skilled Datyukian players, they epic fail. The best games ive seen these guys play have almost always included a big hit or two early in the game to get them going...and I'm not talking about just a regular old check, Im talking a big time hit that puts a guy on his ass.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 08:02 PM
The Lunatic Fridge

Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
Kreider already smashed someone. Too bad it was his own teamate

The Lunatic Fridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Mikos87

They aren't going to play that way unless they have guys that will have their backs. Same applies for any hockey player.

Players will confidently in put their body on the line if they know the next guy will do the same, and will step up in case something happens. That's hockey. It's what its been, and what it always will be.

When you take a roster packed with guys that were warriors out there, every game, night in, night out, who had a pack mentality, and weren't going to surrender an inch, and you take that and replace it with some sissy soft euroleague frenchie bull****, and only back it up with a shorty that takes a good beating.... well you can't blame Stepan, Kreider, and the rest of the guys for not playing physical.

People are products of their environment. And since the Rangers have been all about making excuses, well I figure I might as well join in the act.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 08:08 PM
Raspewtin
Xanny family

vCash: 50
I would love if Kreider played like a bully, it would make him 10x more effective. He's a physical freak of nature that is not afraid of contact, I wish he'd always play nasty.

Stepan, no. He doesn't have the body to play like that, and I'm fine with this non-physicality from him as long as he stays healthy and puts points up.

Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 08:26 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

They'll play like that once in awhile but neither of them are that type of player.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Green Blob*

Stepan has been playing? I thought he was still holding out on a contract.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Crease

You can add those two to a plethora of guys on the team that before each shift should think about all the people who have been mean to them over the years.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Joe11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Actually his contract allowed him to coast for the 1st 10 games.

Playing mean? got to be kidding- the main part of his game is avoiding being bodychecked, at all costs

Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:30 PM
JohnC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Stepan's holdout ended right before the regular season. He's played in every regular season game so far

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:34 PM
ajdj10

Stepan needs to go Heisenberg and shave his head, then he'll be mean. And then some.

ajdj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:42 PM
JCrusher*

We dont need them to be goons we just need them to produce some offense since besides richards are really the 2 guys we are counting on with all the injuries. Kreider had a lot of hits in the philly game and he was using his body well

JCrusher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 09:48 PM
stan the caddy

Should put some dents in the team bus too

stan the caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 10:31 PM
haveandare

Stepan needs to start playing with Hagelin and/or Nash. Step doesn't "epically fail" playing a skill game - he just needs the right players to play that game with. We saw it almost all of last year.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 11:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Stepan's holdout ended right before the regular season. He's played in every regular season game so far
The person you quoted was being sarcastic....

10-25-2013, 11:35 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
The person you quoted was being sarcastic....
The person you quoted doesn't know what that is.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 02:43 AM
Sticky Fingers
Hayes dangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Oh reeeeally?

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 06:03 AM
chosen

The one guy I won't get on at this point is Stepan. He missed training camp for what he thought was a good reason and I don't disagree with that reason.

He is also possibly the best young forward this organization has brought in since Kovalev. If his play doesn't improve, I'll join the bashing wagon, but for now, I reserve all my bashing for Sather, who remains one of the most inept GMs I have ever seen in any sport.

He owes his entire career as a GM to having the good fortune of having Gretzky and Messier dropped at his doorstep. Rangers fans are the ones paying for his good fortune.

On another note, I would like Kreider to display any reason at all to keep him in the NHL, at this point.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:37 AM
KreidertheGlider
MDZ for NYR Blueline

I think it's the other way around for Kreider. He is playing well so he starts hitting well too.

KreidertheGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:40 AM
Graves94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
They aren't going to play that way unless they have guys that will have their backs. Same applies for any hockey player.

Players will confidently in put their body on the line if they know the next guy will do the same, and will step up in case something happens. That's hockey. It's what its been, and what it always will be.

When you take a roster packed with guys that were warriors out there, every game, night in, night out, who had a pack mentality, and weren't going to surrender an inch, and you take that and replace it with some sissy soft euroleague frenchie bull****, and only back it up with a shorty that takes a good beating.... well you can't blame Stepan, Kreider, and the rest of the guys for not playing physical.

People are products of their environment. And since the Rangers have been all about making excuses, well I figure I might as well join in the act.
Agree 100% with this^^

On Kreider, I will personally give him a pass until he gets a true chance with this team. What I mean is, for him to produce, he must play at least 10-15 games (good or bad) top 6 minutes with top 6 forwards (yeah very hard to find on this team, especially now with all these injuries). I will give him a pass because he has produced in the playoffs especially 2 yrs ago, and to me that gives him a lot of leeway, especially over others currently on this team.
I've said this from day one regarding Kreider, that he reminded me of Pacioretty from the Habs. Same build, American, first round pick and highly touted. Patch bounced around for a few yrs between Mtl and Hamilton (Habs AHL team), and he got fed up and actually told the media that if he was going to be called up and NOT play on the top 2 lines he'd rather stay in the AHL the whole year, because he was a top 6 player, and needed to play in that role in the NHL for him to succeed. Of course that caused an uproar in Montreal, but hey, the guy was right, he needed to be in the right environment to succeed! Now, he's arguably Montreal's top offensive player. Hope the same happens with Kreider.
On Stepan, let's relax here, he also started slow last year, and I believe the year before, so let's wait before we run him out of town! Especially since he missed training camp and hasn't really played with any top line players yet.

Graves94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 07:51 AM
JCrusher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves94 View Post
Agree 100% with this^^

On Kreider, I will personally give him a pass until he gets a true chance with this team. What I mean is, for him to produce, he must play at least 10-15 games (good or bad) top 6 minutes with top 6 forwards (yeah very hard to find on this team, especially now with all these injuries). I will give him a pass because he has produced in the playoffs especially 2 yrs ago, and to me that gives him a lot of leeway, especially over others currently on this team.
I've said this from day one regarding Kreider, that he reminded me of Pacioretty from the Habs. Same build, American, first round pick and highly touted. Patch bounced around for a few yrs between Mtl and Hamilton (Habs AHL team), and he got fed up and actually told the media that if he was going to be called up and NOT play on the top 2 lines he'd rather stay in the AHL the whole year, because he was a top 6 player, and needed to play in that role in the NHL for him to succeed. Of course that caused an uproar in Montreal, but hey, the guy was right, he needed to be in the right environment to succeed! Now, he's arguably Montreal's top offensive player. Hope the same happens with Kreider.
On Stepan, let's relax here, he also started slow last year, and I believe the year before, so let's wait before we run him out of town! Especially since he missed training camp and hasn't really played with any top line players yet.
I agree he has only played 1 game. So far he has done well. he didnt score a goal but he had a assits, a lot of hits, he chased down pucks and crashed the net

JCrusher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:20 AM
Savant

I don't know if AV does "play mean".

Savant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:17 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The whole team needs to play with some sort of emotion.

10-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Wolfy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The whole team needs to play with some sort of emotion.
You mean something like this?

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:00 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
One thing Ive noticed from these 2 guys, when they start hitting people, I mean really hitting people, they get more involved in all aspects of the game. It seems to get their juices flowing. When theyre trying to be skilled Datyukian players, they epic fail. The best games ive seen these guys play have almost always included a big hit or two early in the game to get them going...and I'm not talking about just a regular old check, Im talking a big time hit that puts a guy on his ass.

Inferno, I think you made a mistake saying they need to play "mean." I would have said something more to the effect of "play physical" or "play with an edge" or "take the play to the other team". Mean always introduces the stupid old violence, beat 'em up crap.

I do agree that both players play better when they're taking the body and would love to see both doing it more. Having said that, some of that comes with being more in sync - being locked in to the point where you are anticipating the play and you're coming to the guy with the puck and in position to hit him at the right time and not a second too late. Kreider I think can initiate more if he would just stop freakin' thinking about the game and play it. For Step, he needs to get his timing right - I think missing training camp is having an impact on him here.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:18 AM
shinchanyo

Nobody would benefit more than Kreider and Boyle. Boyle when he plays mean and acts like a bully can actually impose himself on other men<---well that's odd wording. But we've seen him take a guy like EK completely out of a PO series. He's smart, defensively responsible, a little bit of a leader and can be a complete bully on the ice. CK is young and I've seen him hit and be nasty a few times. Hopefully that continues to come it'll make him a real treat to watch for many years.

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote