HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

PowerPlayManager #10 - Basketball starts in 6 months?

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2013, 12:34 PM
canucks357

vCash: 500
Anyone who ever complains about a result should refer back to this day in PPM hockey history before considering their outburst.

My goalies must have been up late the night before going two-on-one with some french chicks or something.

Old
10-23-2013, 12:37 PM
suprvilce

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks357 View Post
Anyone who ever complains about a result should refer back to this day in PPM hockey history before considering their outburst.

My goalies must have been up late the night before going two-on-one with some french chicks or something.
http://hockey.powerplaymanager.com/s...?data=22768502

Old
10-23-2013, 02:03 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvilce View Post
At least the dominant team won. Both my goalies' save percentages were below 65%!

Old
10-23-2013, 02:36 PM
Emerald76

Quote:

Yep, been there, bought the T-Shirt...

http://hockey.powerplaymanager.com/e...?data=21671280

Old
10-23-2013, 04:44 PM
tujague

My handball goalie stopped 21 shots today

I have my backup set to come in if my starter gives up 5 goals. He hasn't played in the last four. Since Rowan was pulled, backup Rivard has played in 2 of 7 matches and faced a total of 10 shots in around 23 minutes. That's awesome

Rowan has 98 saves in those 7 matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald76 View Post
I got thinking about player positions after my mini-rant above..

For those of you across the pond who may not be overly familiar with football (or soccer as you like to call it) player positions, they are generally categorised as follows, with some great players for the positons for reference:

Thanks for that. I think some of the confusing bits are the 'backs' and 'wings'. Although the inside forwards playing on the outside is bat-**** crazy. I'm just going to remove that from my mind before it explodes.

Wings to me are attackers, or forwards, like in hockey. And the backs remind me of running backs in football(American), which are also offensive players. Although I guess I could think of them as defensive backs. But those guys are really corners and safeties. This is too confusing. Side defenders they are

Old
10-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Emerald76

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujague View Post
Although the inside forwards playing on the outside is bat-**** crazy. I'm just going to remove that from my mind before it explodes.

Let me bring your head to the brink of explosion then!

The reason they are called Inside Forwards is because of an old system footie teams once deployed. Back in the day, teams were a little bit mental on the offensive side of things, one such formation was a 2-3-5. Yes, you read it correct the first time,
2-3-5.

Of the five attackers, the outer most players were referred to as "Outside Forwards", or as we now know them, wingers.

The 2 inside the Outside Forwards were know as Inside Forwards, these 2 were the closest either side of the Center Forward.

With the evolution of team tactics and formations, Outside forwards were withdrawn backwards, what we know side midifelders as in the world of PPM. The expression "Wingers" followed them. To this day, side midfielders ae commonly called wingers.

It's the same with the old style Inside Forwards with the expression "Inside Forward" sticking, as strange as it sounds!!

Old
10-23-2013, 06:28 PM
tescosamoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytihu View Post
Now that the money is starting to flow a little bit in Handball, we should see some different managerial plans taking shape.
Next Monday I get to start HR9,TR9,RF8 SA10 starts on day 75

Old
10-23-2013, 09:21 PM
camrawrn

Well, just did some quick calculations in soccer... Looks like I will have a maxed out stadium by the end of the season! A little bit of facility work will follow, then I'll start making my way to the top of I.1... slowly.

And Canucks, you'll be glad to know, I have started work on my next article! It should be a good one, though it'll be overshadowed by Biznow's most recent article. ._.

Old
10-23-2013, 11:12 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrawrn View Post
Well, just did some quick calculations in soccer... Looks like I will have a maxed out stadium by the end of the season! A little bit of facility work will follow, then I'll start making my way to the top of I.1... slowly.

And Canucks, you'll be glad to know, I have started work on my next article! It should be a good one, though it'll be overshadowed by Biznow's most recent article. ._.
I'll call off the hounds.

#####

In other news, the new-look OAP are in action in a tough league game tomorrow. I could go 0-2 to start the year with both being home games. Curious what two training camps and fresh energy will do. Same starting-11 as the past many seasons but the bench is weaker as I moved guys poised for C/L drops. Since facilities are nearing completion the plan this year is to stock the cupboards like I've done in hockey, I just have to decide which position needs it first, but that will come when I get IGR numbers.

Old
10-24-2013, 06:49 AM
tujague

Emerald, that explanation is mental. How long ago are we talking about here? 2-3-5 sounds like a really bad idea And no one will ever call those players inside forwards ever again

Odd pull last night in hockey. Aka a good one. That almost never happens for me. The last pull that made it into my lineup is now 18yo Gilbert Vera. And before that was probably 21yo Jose Baker. He just reached 1500OR. 25yo Morris Modano is my best pull with 1697OR

Anyway. I had a 4 star pull. Of course he was a Dman. That's all I ever pull anymore. Unscouted Qs are showing as 70D 82/92/89. 339OR, 6/6 and Universal. Hopefully that 70D bounces. I'm sure I could find a spot in the lineup for this one.

What is really weird is I also pulled a 3.5 star goalie. He has 340OR and is also 6/6. And his name is Gus Wahl. Great name for a goalie. Unscouted he's showing a 99 goalie Q and 87 tech. Unfortunately, he's only showing 66 pass. Here's the crazy part: he was 4.5 star winger. Qs for that are 82/94/87/95. This is all unscouted, but would you convert him? He already has 79 in goal while Off and Shot are only 39.

Old
10-24-2013, 11:38 AM
suprvilce

My handball time-out curse continues. Thankfully it was just a friendly game but still:

Down 2 goals 20 minutes to play, call a time-out... go on a 2-10 run. What's with that? I called time-out to help my team, not my oponent, hello?! Though i guess i should be happy with most of the game considering my oponent's goalie had 46% saves and my oponent has a bunch of 200+ players

Old
10-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
Odd pull last night in hockey. Aka a good one. That almost never happens for me. The last pull that made it into my lineup is now 18yo Gilbert Vera. And before that was probably 21yo Jose Baker. He just reached 1500OR. 25yo Morris Modano is my best pull with 1697OR

Anyway. I had a 4 star pull. Of course he was a Dman. That's all I ever pull anymore. Unscouted Qs are showing as 70D 82/92/89. 339OR, 6/6 and Universal. Hopefully that 70D bounces. I'm sure I could find a spot in the lineup for this one.

What is really weird is I also pulled a 3.5 star goalie. He has 340OR and is also 6/6. And his name is Gus Wahl. Great name for a goalie. Unscouted he's showing a 99 goalie Q and 87 tech. Unfortunately, he's only showing 66 pass. Here's the crazy part: he was 4.5 star winger. Qs for that are 82/94/87/95. This is all unscouted, but would you convert him? He already has 79 in goal while Off and Shot are only 39.
Obviously you want to wait until he's scouted before you decide what position to train him for, but I personally like to avoid converting players. (on a side note, all hockey players that I pull are set to train technique until scouted and assigned a position)

Once he's scouted you'll want to project his EOR by position. Unfortunately, since goalies and wingers have a different number of trained attributes just using the sum of trained attributes doesn't work well (for comparing these two positions). The objective is to get the base EOR on a level basis. This could be accomplished by multiplying the sum of attributes for winger by 200/275 (assuming 100/50/50 ratio for goalie and 100/75/50/50 ratio for winger). In the example I made up related to this, I assumed attributes of 79/xx/39/50/40/50/50. In this case, the modified EOR for winger is 31.5 less than the EOR for goalie.

The EQs I calculated using the provided numbers and the same ratios as above are 85.38 for goalie and 88.19 for winger. Let's assume that training can be estimated using EQ times some coefficient related to facilities and staff. Let's also assume that for your team, the coefficient is 0.02, so your average daily training for him is around 1.7 (for goalie) or 1.76 (for winger). Let's also assume that he never ages or has CL drops or gets injured and your facilities and staff don't change (yes, this is a crazy assumption as we'd expect training to decrease over time).

Then to make up that 31.5 difference, he'd need 31.5/.06 training days. Using the non-rounded figures in my spreadsheet, that's 562.71 days or roughly 5 seasons. That excludes training camps (which would add roughly 20 training days at max SA/staff to each season, so 4.26 seasons instead), but remember that crazy assumption about training not decreasing and no injuries? Yeah, that's going to add some time. Also, if your actual training is less than projected above then it will take longer for him to a better winger than goalie.

What your team needs obviously matters as a well. Do you need a RW prospect more than a G prospect?

Old
10-24-2013, 04:19 PM
kytihu

Tough NC handball match against Chicago Ruckus

- 2 min left, I'm up 2
- Ruckus scores...I'm up 1
- 1 min left, I have a 7m penalty shot....SAVE
- 54 sec left, Ruckus scores to tie it up
- 44 sec left, my LB shoots from 9m....SAVE
- 25 sec left, Ruckus gets a penalty shot with my backup GK in....SAVE (WHEW)

Won by 2 in OT

Old
10-24-2013, 07:15 PM
canucks357

Started the season 0-2 with two home losses. First one with guys in TC second one to the always-powerful NKDJ. The kicker in the last loss was a 90+ minute straight red which has my best (and only) RB suspended for 2 games. It is a 3-1L in the final moments. WHY FOUL ANYONE!?!?!

Old
10-25-2013, 01:16 AM
fakezomg

Quote:
would you convert him?
Obryantj's analysis is good, but I think his final question about what does your team need more matters most. Assuming you want to play him in the future and not just train and sell, is his goalie EQ good enough to let him ever crack the lineup? Since you only need a few goalies, and they only train three attributes, goalie EQ requirements are a lot more stringent than other positions.

If you're all set on goalies but could use a wing, I'd convert him without a second thought. In a month, his offense will have caught up to his goal, so you can just act like that's when you pulled him, instead. Or maybe train his goal up a bit and then sell him and use the money to buy a wing.

Old
10-25-2013, 06:55 AM
tujague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obryantj View Post
Then to make up that 31.5 difference, he'd need 31.5/.06 training days. Using the non-rounded figures in my spreadsheet, that's 562.71 days or roughly 5 seasons. That excludes training camps (which would add roughly 20 training days at max SA/staff to each season, so 4.26 seasons instead), but remember that crazy assumption about training not decreasing and no injuries? Yeah, that's going to add some time. Also, if your actual training is less than projected above then it will take longer for him to a better winger than goalie.

What your team needs obviously matters as a well. Do you need a RW prospect more than a G prospect?
Nice work The waters are a bit muddier after scouting.

Goalie Qs are 99/61/95. Trained at 2-1-1 ratio, his AEQ is 88.5. Distribution is 79/48/66.

Winger Qs are 85/93/95/99. I train wingers at a 2-2-1-1 ratio if the shot Q is above 90. AEQ is 91. Distro is 39/39/66/42.

Why do you level out the effective OR? Isn't EOR just there to remove wasted OR? 193 to 186 isn't too bad. He'd certainly make up that slight difference. Okay. I see what you're doing. This is about training going forward 10 seasons or whatever. A goalie with three attributes would train a lot faster than a skater with four. So if I'm training him at a 2-2-1-1, then divide 186 by 2/3, equals 124EOR for the wing? So he has to make up 69 EOR?

I do the same with training Tech for new pulls. His 95Q tech trained 1.52 last night. TF15 is under construction. RF is at 13. Staff efficiency is 89/99 for coaches and 87/86 for Physios. I just rebuilt the hockey staff. They are a work in progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakezomg View Post
Obryantj's analysis is good, but I think his final question about what does your team need more matters most.

If you're all set on goalies but could use a wing, I'd convert him without a second thought. In a month, his offense will have caught up to his goal, so you can just act like that's when you pulled him, instead. Or maybe train his goal up a bit and then sell him and use the money to buy a wing.
My team has no needs. I did the rebuild a few seasons ago. Everyone is 18-19 years old. The goalie is 19 and his backup is an old guy.

I guess this brings up the ole rebuild question again. The plan before the top 5 or 6 teams in the US quit was to do this rebuild in two stages, sell the current players at 18-19 (aka this season) and do a proper rebuild with the profits from those sales. Would these two pulls be enough to push that plan forward? Or should I stick with what I have to see how far I can go?

Old
10-25-2013, 01:44 PM
doug5984

Send a message via AIM to doug5984
So if I stick it out in Soccer I think I have to finally do a rebuild, my team is aging and simply treading water in I.1, I think the only way to make up ground may be to take a step back get some younger guys in- win some games in II and then make a push back up. My income is staying pretty stagnant with my constant 13th place finishes.

What would y'all suggest? Sell every player over 22 and older? That would put my 20/21 year olds at a good age in 4-5 seasons before they beomce RFAs.

Old
10-25-2013, 03:54 PM
tescosamoa

Quote:
Started the season 0-2 with two home losses. First one with guys in TC second one to the always-powerful NKDJ. The kicker in the last loss was a 90+ minute straight red which has my best (and only) RB suspended for 2 games. It is a 3-1L in the final moments. WHY FOUL ANYONE!?!?!
Your 0-2 and I am 2-0 .... Perhaps this is an example of the Fermi paradox at work in PPM football.

Old
10-25-2013, 04:41 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by tescosamoa View Post
Your 0-2 and I am 2-0 .... Perhaps this is an example of the Fermi paradox at work in PPM football.
Do you mean Pauli exclusion principle?

Old
10-25-2013, 09:43 PM
tescosamoa

Quote:
Do you mean Pauli exclusion principle?
On a paper submitted by a physicist colleague: "This isn't right. This isn't even wrong."

Wolfgang Pauli

Old
10-25-2013, 09:47 PM
tescosamoa

Heh I now finally get this joke...http://xkcd.com/658/

Old
10-26-2013, 07:05 AM
tescosamoa

My latest SA8 beast for handball. 1 star across the board. 150 OR. And a 5/6 to boot. Even his name sucks Cory Daugherty.

Old
10-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Obryantj

Quote:
My latest SA8 beast for handball. 1 star across the board. 150 OR. And a 5/6 to boot. Even his name sucks Cory Daugherty.
Must wait 4 days, must wait 4 days....

I'm hoping to get a two-player pull (or at least a keeper) for my patience...

Old
10-26-2013, 12:11 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Heh I now finally get this joke...http://xkcd.com/658/
Nerd jokes!

Quote:
On a paper submitted by a physicist colleague: "This isn't right. This isn't even wrong."

Wolfgang Pauli
What do you do? What is your background?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obryantj View Post
Must wait 4 days, must wait 4 days....

I'm hoping to get a two-player pull (or at least a keeper) for my patience...
Likewise. Hoping the two pulls in quick succession will be not entirely depressing.

Old
10-26-2013, 02:02 PM
suprvilce

Wow,.... are you EFFing kidding me?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!? http://prntscr.com/1zvxyq

Closed Thread