HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1, Pick #11: Samuel Morin, Defense, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Old
10-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Jtown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'll admit - I was one of them. I really wanted the team to draft Josh Morrissey, especially after his outstanding season in the WHL and his play at the Ivan Hlinka tournament (of note, Sam Morin was his defense partner). My own thoughts were that Morrissey was a more refined player and had the offensive upside this club needed. With that being said, I have no problems saying I'm glad the Flyers took big Sam.

His play at the rookie tournament and in the pre season really opened my eyes with what he's capable of bringing to the table. And when you consider that the East has players like Tom Wilson, Milan Lucic, and a host of other big forwards, it certainly doesn't hurt to have a 6'7 defender back there with a mean disposition who can handle those guys.

I still think Morrissey is probably going to be the best offensive defenseman of that draft, but Morin might end being the most complete defenseman of that draft.
Seth jones is going to be a generational player.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 02:59 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Seth jones is going to be a generational player.
He's going to be the best defenseman from this past draft, that's likely... But a generational player? That may be a tad premature.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 03:24 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
He's going to be the best defenseman from this past draft, that's likely... But a generational player? That may be a tad premature.
So far he's looking really poised. Playing with Weber definitely seems to be helping him reach his max potential..

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 03:26 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Well he did want to prove to the teams that passed him up that they made a mistake...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Hiesenberg

Seth Jones is extremely talented, but adding him to Weber is just unfair.

Seth Jones on this blue line would make me feel a hell of a lot better. They almost had him until they decided to win a handful of games for no reason

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Curufinwe

The Flyers didn't almost have him.

Even if they had lost their last four games they would have only been equal in points with Nashville, and Nashville would have still got the 4th pick because they would have had less regulation wins.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Hiesenberg

Picking 5 is almost. Picking 11 was no where near.

Old
10-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Seth Jones is extremely talented, but adding him to Weber is just unfair.

Seth Jones on this blue line would make me feel a hell of a lot better. They almost had him until they decided to win a handful of games for no reason
They were never going to get top4, barring winning the lottery.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 08:25 AM
El Emperor

Honestly, when the Flyers first drafted Morin, I was pretty irritated as he definitely was more raw than other Dmen at that point in the draft. But when Haag fell to them in the 2nd round, it made the Morin pick sit much better.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Codith

Honestly, I think this last draft basically locked in our future 1st defensive pairing. The great thing about Morin is that he has so many upsides already for a big guy, that the things he lacks are things he can keep improving on and getting better at. If we were ever going to find a guy down the road who could similarly replicate what prongs could do for us, he will probably be the closest thing.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Appleyard

Hägg falling to us was awesome.

He was ranked (final): 20th (CBS) 24th (sportsnet) 19th (McKeens) 24th (future considerations) 22nd (NHL consensus)

He had also been ranked as highly as 15th at one point and ranked as the 8th best euro on the NHLs central scouting final list.

The highest I saw Morin was 10 and 13... and most had him in the 15-25 range by years end.

Basically got two guys ranked 15-25, both with very good upside and all the physical tools already. Not bad at all.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Hiesenberg

As bad as this D has looked, they can't get here soon enough

Old
10-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
Honestly, when the Flyers first drafted Morin, I was pretty irritated as he definitely was more raw than other Dmen at that point in the draft. But when Haag fell to them in the 2nd round, it made the Morin pick sit much better.
lol...I feel the same way. I was actually hoping we took Risto and then have someone like Morin fall to us for the 2nd round pick. When we took Morin in the 1st...I was disappointed as I wanted Zads next. But then when Hagg slipped, I was overjoyed. I was hoping at the time that Coburn would be traded for the extra 2nd rounders as I also wanted Fucale(I live in HFX), and Zykov.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Hägg falling to us was awesome.

He was ranked (final): 20th (CBS) 24th (sportsnet) 19th (McKeens) 24th (future considerations) 22nd (NHL consensus)

He had also been ranked as highly as 15th at one point and ranked as the 8th best euro on the NHLs central scouting final list.

The highest I saw Morin was 10 and 13... and most had him in the 15-25 range by years end.

Basically got two guys ranked 15-25, both with very good upside and all the physical tools already. Not bad at all.
Hockey News had Hagg at 12, Morin at 20 IIRC...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:53 AM
Mota

Nikita Zadorov is up an doing well for Buff. I think he already has a goal. I still kind of wish the Flyers picked him.

With all of the rookie success of this draft so far, the Flyers better be right on Morin.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Nikita Zadorov is up an doing well for Buff. I think he already has a goal. I still kind of wish the Flyers picked him.

With all of the rookie success of this draft so far, the Flyers better be right on Morin.
He has played three games and that team had expectations of next to nothing this year, they are playing a really young team. Of course he will be able to contribute to the team when he plays because he is being thrown into the fire. Now, there is no chance we can say he was a better choice because of one goal in the NHL right now. If Morin reaches his top end potential, we could very well have the best defenseman in the draft(yes, maybe even better than Jones), he just needs to come around and develop properly. We always get frustrated we don't develop prospects, but we always make these comparisons. Morin needs a little more time to develop his offense, and so far he is coming along nicely in the Q.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Picking 5 is almost. Picking 11 was no where near.
Hate to say this. But you know what they say about "almost".

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

No way jose. Morin will be a better pro. Book it.

Old
10-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I agree. This kid is no Bobby Orr.