HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I just threw up, look at these lines:

Old
12-11-2006, 01:50 AM
DjsIzzy

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DjsIzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockit View Post
lol man, you got to be kidding me. a decade? you can still find great talent later in the draft. does anyone recall Datsyuk or Zetteberg drafted 1st overall? Not to mention the fact that if Forsberg retires, Nedved off the books, hopefully Rathje off the books, and a few others, this team could easily turn things around next year. There will be players available this off-season to come in and help. Does anyone expect both Drury and Briere to each be back in Buffalo next season? not unless one of them is prepared to sign below market value. i don't know the whole list off the top of my head, but there is talent that can easily be signed to help.

Give the young guys their minutes. Don't under-estimate talent like Richards, he has it and he's young, and he hasn't exactly played with the best linemates either. You're comparing to 2 exceptions here. Crosby's and Ovechkin's aren't in every draft. Sometimes players need some seasoning before they come into their own. A few classic examples come to mind in Martin Straka,
Markus Naslund, Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe, Brett Hull, Cam Neely, John LeClair... you see where i'm getting at, these players played a few years before they became the players that they are today/were.

To rely on sucking, and drafting first overall doesn't always work with Hockey. Many players come to mind that have been picked out of the first round that have turned out to be all-stars. It's not like basketball where you can just rely on drafting a Lebron James and then be instantly a good team. You need a balance of rookies and veterans to be effective.

Keep a core group of forwards with Gagne, Knuble, Richards, Carter, Sanderson, Umberger, Robitaille, Eager and a D core with Pitkanen and a few of the young guys and we're alright heading into the off-season. Add 2-3 quality scoring veteran forwards, a power-play D man, this team isn't that bad. Then Add in Downie and maybe Giroux, Ruzicka possibly, Potulny... there's young talent in the organization.

I think the problem is that there's too much pressure on guys like Carter & Richards to produce right now where we have no depth. We need capable veterans to help out (obviously Calder hasn't been the answer, but i say give him one last look when Carter comes back and if he's still BS, then ditch him).

And by the way, you can play dump and chase in the new NHL. goalies can't be as liberal in playing the puck as before and no clutching and grabbing to slow down a forecheck means you can pound D man with people like Eager. you just need players with a spine that are will to dish out the hits.

Wow, a long post for me.

I agree 100%. I'm not sure Ruzicka and some of the other guys will be top notch by next season, but we can remain optimistic right?

DjsIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Randy Robitaille as a top line center? Oh my goodness, that's terrible. I'm sure we all can't wait for the next Panthers/Flyers game to see who sucks more in the East. Here's hoping we each draft something good this year.

Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 03:28 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
Randy Robitaille as a top line center? Oh my goodness, that's terrible. I'm sure we all can't wait for the next Panthers/Flyers game to see who sucks more in the East. Here's hoping we each draft something good this year.
It's not too far away. December 27.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 03:59 PM
phlacheesesteak

Quote:
here here

phlacheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 06:26 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
While I agree he is not a full time top line center, he has proven in the last couple years to be a good 2nd line playmaker and is more then capable of filling in on a top line for a chunk of time. He has played well with Gagne and Knuble. He is one of those guys that has benefitted greatly from the new rules.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote