John Scott Suspended 7 Games

Old
10-26-2013, 09:12 AM
ReggieMoto

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
I hope they're taking their time to craft a statement around the upcoming overhaul of player suspensions, and then they give him twenty games.
I haven't seen this posted elsewhere in this forum (though admittedly I'm not religiously rustling through every thread on this topic), but here is an interesting idea that promotes a variant on the "eye-for-an-eye" discipline discussed in the past. Take a look.

This is what NHL ‘eye for an eye’ supplemental discipline would look like
Quote:
It’s an eye-for-an-eye idea that some feel would improve on the current suspension model, save for one thing: Most hockey fans feel John Scott is a terrible hockey player while Loui Eriksson is a really, really good one. (Soooooo underrated.)

The Bruins lose a top six forward. The Sabres lose a guy that skates three minutes a night.

Justice? Hardly, right?

So an alternative to this ‘eye-for-an-eye’ concept, there’s the idea that in addition to the Sabres’ goon it would be a player of comparative abilities, stats and perhaps talent that would leave the lineup for Buffalo too.

The Bruins lose a top-six forward. The Sabres lose Scott for a few games and a top-six forward for as long as the Bruin is out of the lineup.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Danton Heineken
Hot Carl Willis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
I haven't seen this posted elsewhere in this forum (though admittedly I'm not religiously rustling through every thread on this topic), but here is an interesting idea that promotes a variant on the "eye-for-an-eye" discipline discussed in the past. Take a look.

That would just help the Sabres' tanking.

Danton Heineken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:16 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
clearly they require no help for this

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:19 AM
nords1995

Quote:

--
In my POV, impossible to apply in reality. Subjectivity as the major problem. How can you define this: Thru the injury produced by the instigator. And if it was really and accident, which is also part of the game. And if the really bad hit did not produce any injury, will the sanction be the same.

MY thoughts, evaluate the action. If it's dangerous, (head contact, blind side, back...) than important suspension. If there is an injury, the player can't come back till the victim comes back. $ taken from the wallet is the only answer.

nords1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:20 AM
ReggieMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
If they are going to tank, they are going to tank. But look at it from the perspective of the comparable player who might have to sit out that amount of time. Not a situation he is going to be the least bit interested in. Same with the team's fine. That could be awfully hefty.

While perhaps not fully-formed yet, I think the idea has merit and should be discussed. What I don't think should happen is an instant, knee-jerk dismissal by the league, the players or the fans without a fair discussion.

Old
10-26-2013, 09:27 AM
EverettMike

Quote:
If they are going to tank, they are going to tank. But look at it from the perspective of the comparable player who might have to sit out that amount of time. Not a situation he is going to be the least bit interested in. Same with the team's fine. That could be awfully hefty.

While perhaps not fully-formed yet, I think the idea has merit and should be discussed. What I don't think should happen is an instant, knee-jerk dismissal by the league, the players or the fans without a fair discussion.
I don't think it is fair for a clean hockey player to be punished by not playing because of something he had absolutely nothing to do with.

Should you go to jail because your brother robs a bank, while you knew nothing about it and helped in no way?

It has a less than zero percent chance of happening.

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:48 AM
bruinsfan001

I'm wondering if the coach is going to get fined as well because this isn't the first time he's sent the player out against a line he had no business playing against.

bruinsfan001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:51 AM
qc
#TeamClode

vCash: 69
It was great to see Claude throw some expletives in Rolston's direction. I can't remember him ever going off on an opposing coach, even when Ruff called a timeout with a few seconds left so he could throw his goon line against us.

Then again, Lindy and Claude are colleagues for team Canada, and Ruff has a bit of leeway (opposed to that turd Rolston).

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:06 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan001 View Post
I'm wondering if the coach is going to get fined as well because this isn't the first time he's sent the player out against a line he had no business playing against.
I really think in this case with these circumstances-the coach has some responsibility. He may not have specifically told Scott to head shot a top six forward but he was at tout there to start something.

Losing Scott only makes Buffo better-they even won a game without him in the lineup.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:24 AM
BigGoalBrad

It makes me lose faith in humanity that people are dumb enough to care about how long the worst player in the NHL is going to get suspended.

NEWSFLASH HE CAN'T SKATE AND IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT HE GETS BUFFALO IS NOT WEAKENED ONE BIT IF HE IS SUSPENDED THERE IS ZERO PUNISHMENT AND SCOTT HAS ALREADY EARNED 100x WHAT HE SHOULD HAVE IN THE NHL.

Even if Scott was banned for life it wouldn't be anywhere close to a fair punishment to that piece of **** franchise for giving him a roster spot.

BigGoalBrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Pasta La Vista
My name is Pete

vCash: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshmontMcSlewfoot View Post
It makes me lose faith in humanity that people are dumb enough to care about how long the worst player in the NHL is going to get suspended.

NEWSFLASH HE CAN'T SKATE AND IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT HE GETS BUFFALO IS NOT WEAKENED ONE BIT IF HE IS SUSPENDED THERE IS ZERO PUNISHMENT AND SCOTT HAS ALREADY EARNED 100x WHAT HE SHOULD HAVE IN THE NHL.

Even if Scott was banned for life it wouldn't be anywhere close to a fair punishment to that piece of **** franchise for giving him a roster spot.
They weren't the first team to give him a roster spot.

Pasta La Vista is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 10:55 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinswillwin77 View Post
Proving there are other GM`s out there who are equally as inept at understanding this guy has no use

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:50 AM
BallroomBitz
Once a Bruin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Its more on the coach imo

But dont kid yourself, scott knew what he was doing. Targeted the head and followed through with an elbow
I'm starting to agree with this.

If mike Richards threw the hit, this wouldn't be a league wide witch hunt like it is. If anyone needs proof, they only need look to the colossal fail vs Philly and the hit that started it. Or the booth hit.

Last edited by BallroomBitz: 10-26-2013 at 11:58 AM.
BallroomBitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:54 AM
BallroomBitz
Once a Bruin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Proving there are other GM`s out there who are equally as inept at understanding this guy has no use
When was he ever given the shot? I'm not defending him, but the guy has been a victim of his size throughout his career. When you only get 4 minutes a night, you have to do what's expected or you will be unemployed.

Old
10-26-2013, 11:58 AM
JRull86
Formerly Guiledoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallroomBitz View Post
When was he ever given the shot? I'm not defending him, but the guy has been a victim of his size throughout his career. When you only get 4 minutes a night, you have to do what's expected or you will be unemployed.
Headshotting players is not "what's expected".

JRull86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 12:00 PM
BallroomBitz
Once a Bruin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRull86 View Post
Headshotting players is not "what's expected".
Making an impact is. I'm not defending him, but I think Rolston is just as much if not more guilty.

Old
10-26-2013, 12:13 PM
BigGoalBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinswillwin77 View Post
Hes supposed to be a defenseman.

They are the first team to move him to forward and play him every night. Prior to Buffalo he was just a 7th D and would dress depending on the opponent.

Buffalo plays Scott, the worst player in the NHL, at a position he is even worse at and not at the position he played at lower levels just to get his goonery into the lineup.

THornton didn't want to get the crap beat out of him again so Scott instead did the same thing to Loui Erikkson that Cooke did to Savard because he is a useless pos and cannot help his team in any other way.

Thats not an opinion that is a fact.

BigGoalBrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 12:18 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

vCash: 320
Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
Apologetic and emotional over head hit, Sabres tough guy John Scott says he belongs

**** this mother****er, seriously...

Quote:
BUFFALO – Sabres tough guy John Scott acknowledges that, yes, 5:49 into the third period Wednesday, his powerful hit to Loui Eriksson’s head, while not intentional, was illegal. “It happened pretty fast,” an apologetic Scott said after practicing this morning inside the First Niagara Center. “I just thought I was completing a check. But, obviously, I hit his head. It wasn’t exactly what I was aiming for. I didn’t want to do that. It’s just a bad play, unfortunate it happened.”

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/apo...elongs-in-nhl/

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 01:53 PM
ReggieMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
I don't think it is fair for a clean hockey player to be punished by not playing because of something he had absolutely nothing to do with.
I think a balance has to be struck between what is fair and what isn't. Is it fair that a coach can send a goon out to headhunt another team's more talented players? Is what happened here to Eriksson fair? Savard? What about Bertuzzi and Moore?

While I understand your sentiment, I think this or something implemented along similar lines is exactly what is required. This will reduce and ultimately eliminate the presence of talentless players like Scott from the teams' roster spots and force more talented players like Cooke to curtail their reckless play. No coach or GM is going to look the other way with respect to the barbaric behavior of their goons if the result is going to take that big of a bite out of their chances to win. Who is going to want to play for such a team if the coaches and GMs look away? What player will tolerate it? Think about the pressure from the local media and fanbase if they did!

There are some in the audience who are likely going to point to Chara's incident and try to make an argument that in his instance he or someone equivalent to Max Pacioretty would have had to sit out and that wouldn't have been fair. Well, maybe...but if that's what it takes then that's what it takes. However, I don't think that in that instance a ruling would have been made against Chara. These will be judged case-by-case and my suspicion is that the league's Dept. of Player Safety would have ruled Chara's case differently from Scott's. Perhaps not but that's my thinking.

Quote:
Should you go to jail because your brother robs a bank, while you knew nothing about it and helped in no way?
Total non sequitor not worth responding to.

Quote:
It has a less than zero percent chance of happening.
Maybe -- probably -- but this is the type of out-of-the-box thinking it is going to take to get goon players with their mindless, purposeful intent-to-injure play off the ice. It cripples the team and coach where it hurts them most: record book and pocketbook.

Old
10-26-2013, 01:56 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
I think a balance has to be struck between what is fair and what isn't. Is it fair that a coach can send a goon out to headhunt another team's more talented players? Is what happened here to Eriksson fair? Savard? What about Bertuzzi and Moore?

While I understand your sentiment, I think this or something implemented along similar lines is exactly what is required. This will reduce and ultimately eliminate the presence of talentless players like Scott from the teams' roster spots and force more talented players like Cooke to curtail their reckless play. No coach or GM is going to look the other way with respect to the barbaric behavior of their goons if the result is going to take that big of a bite out of their chances to win. Who is going to want to play for such a team if the coaches and GMs look away? What player will tolerate it? Think about the pressure from the local media and fanbase if they did!

There are some in the audience who are likely going to point to Chara's incident and try to make an argument that in his instance he or someone equivalent to Max Pacioretty would have had to sit out and that wouldn't have been fair. Well, maybe...but if that's what it takes then that's what it takes. However, I don't think that in that instance a ruling would have been made against Chara. These will be judged case-by-case and my suspicion is that the league's Dept. of Player Safety would have ruled Chara's case differently from Scott's. Perhaps not but that's my thinking.

Total non sequitor not worth responding to.

Maybe -- probably -- but this is the type of out-of-the-box thinking it is going to take to get goon players with their mindless, purposeful intent-to-injure play off the ice. It cripples the team and coach where it hurts them most: record book and pocketbook.
Um.......but this is exactly what you are proposing. Punishing someone for something someone else does. You want to suspend Vanek, right? Because of what Scott did to Eriksson?

Old
10-26-2013, 01:57 PM
EverettMike

This is also one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. it isn't fair to the player that had literally nothing to do with it, but who would be barred from playing.

Old
10-26-2013, 01:59 PM
nords1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
**** this mother****er, seriously...

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/apo...elongs-in-nhl/
-------
That is BS.

TV angle proves he was skating towards Eriksson on a 15 to 25 feet, heads up on the player (target) and didn't have any look on the puck. Sure he'll say it was not intentional.

Imagine if he said, Hey I saw him and told myself - don't miss the head!!

But that was a bad decisional play made by a bad player having few if not no ability to play in this league.

People that always defend this coward less hit on speed, have a totally unaccountable way of looking at the situation. When **** happens from one of your trash talk, cheap and bad hit or any dangerous play you are involved in, you can't always be put on something or somebody else's fault. You need first to apologize, 2nd be accountable. Scott deserves 30 games from my POV.

nords1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 02:05 PM
ReggieMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
This is also one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. it isn't fair to the player that had literally nothing to do with it, but who would be barred from playing.
Ok, you think it's a terrible idea. I think it's pretty darn good idea. Guess there's no real middle ground then...or is there? Do you have any realistic suggestions?

I still think it's pretty unfair that the good players -- players who sort of have "nothing to do with it" -- get headhunted by talentless goons. Where do you stand on that in terms of what's fair and what isn't?

Old
10-26-2013, 02:24 PM
patty59

How ****ing hard is it really to prove intent? The guy stuck his elbow out, pretty clearly intended to target the head. You'd have to be pretty ****ing stupid to think otherwise, no matter what Scott says.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 03:18 PM
BNHL

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2013/10...turn-in-boston

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote