HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #8: Vancouver Canucks @ St. Louis Blues (25/10/13, 7:00PM)

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2013, 11:34 AM
OCTA8ON*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
It doesn't mean there aren't individual players on other lines doing well like Sobotka and Schwartz particularly (no, Stewart is not doing well, sorry, he's tangential to the team's 5-1-2 record). Roy, for example, was paying homage to his complete disappearance for the Canucks in last year's playoffs. Morrow is very meh.

Anyhow, I'm not the only one who thinks the 2d and 3d lines AS LINES are not working. Look at the percentage of the points being scored by that top line. The top line carried the team to its 5-1-2 start. It doesn't mean everyone else is terrible individually, it just means they aren't getting it done as lines. So if the Backes line stops producing, yes, the team is in trouble at the rate the other lines are producing.
I suppose I see where you're coming from. Regarding Stewart, I was just saying that last night he was all over the place, not overall this season. I think a big part of that was the line he was playing on. Morrow is too slow to play with Stewart, plain and simple. Roy is not as good as advertised, plain and simple. I don't think its any coincidence that the moment Stewart is moved up to play with Bergy and Schwartz, he turns into a standout player like last night. Only time will affect that certainty though. I'll give it another 3 games.

Old
10-26-2013, 11:48 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
One play that really stands out was Stewart serving up Schwartz right in front of the crease, and Schwartz not being able to get his stick on the puck. Should have been a beautiful goal.

The new line combos need a couple games together. I'm not going to overreact to a game where the team just looked a bit rusty. I saw some promising things, and I think the Blues should have won that game...but the attack was always just a bit disjointed. Also Vancouver deserves a lot of credit for finding the effort.

It wasn't Pietro's best game. The Sedins won some battles along the boards that I'm not used to seeing Pietro lose.

Sobotka was a monster. I'm looking for Stewart to get a goal in Nashville tonight. He's overdue and played a strong game last night, very involved, just no puck luck.

Old
10-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Bluesman91

Schwartz really needs to start putting up points. I love his tenacity and play but he really needs to get points on the board.

Old
10-26-2013, 01:08 PM
peanutflower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegutter View Post
im suprised the canucks won this game, i thought the blues dominated puck possession and had great passing all game. Canucks just capitalized when they had too, even though they were out played defensively all game.
Well, not if you look at the numbers they didn't. Numbers don't lie.

Old
10-26-2013, 01:10 PM
The Note in Ky
Bow to the pyramid

@jprutherford: #stlblues lines vs. #preds: 20-42-74, 56-17-91, 9-21-25, 10-12-75

Sobotka getting a promotion I think people need to start realizing he is one of our best players and gets our offensive chances going with his hard work.

Roy on our fourth line is likely the most disappointing development of the year

Old
10-26-2013, 01:12 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Note in Ky View Post
@jprutherford: #stlblues lines vs. #preds: 20-42-74, 56-17-91, 9-21-25, 10-12-75

Sobotka getting a promotion I think people need to start realizing he is one of our best players and gets our offensive chances going with his hard work.
That's a bit of a waste.

Old
10-26-2013, 01:13 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Points per game, NHL:

1. Crosby 1.80
2. Steen 1.63
3. Stamkos 1.56
4. Ovechkin 1.50
5. Nielsen 1.40
6. St. Louis 1.33
7. H.Sedin 1.23
8. Benn 1.22
9. six players tied with 1.20 (Duchene, Marleau, Pavelski, Hudler, Tavares, Backstrom)
15. Backes & Giordano 1.13

Old
10-26-2013, 01:14 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
That's a bit of a waste.
Right, might as well just put Cracknell in for energy. I guess Hitch is hoping that Roy gets the message and earns a promotion at some point in the game.

Old
10-26-2013, 01:15 PM
The Note in Ky
Bow to the pyramid

Our top line has done pretty great so far this year and it's hard to consider breaking them up, but I would really like to see Roy with steen and oshie. That could be a creative line for sure.
Maybe Stewart Schwartz and backes on a line. Berglund tarasenko and paajarvi on another.

Old
10-26-2013, 01:27 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

When I coached, I always hated breaking up a line that was playing well together.

Personally, I'd like to see 56-12-25 get a longer look (with the intention of giving them easier minutes). Switching out Morrow for MPS on that line really changes the dynamic of what they bring to the ice. Stewart would need to stop passing up shots, and they won't be the best on the cycle, but their speed/rush game will compensate by creating chances (especially against lower competition). You won't want them caught out there against top lines, but they should be adequate defensively most of the time.

I liked what I was seeing from 9-21-91, and I would like to see them back together.

Old
10-26-2013, 01:31 PM
The Note in Ky
Bow to the pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
When I coached, I always hated breaking up a line that was playing well together.

Personally, I'd like to see 56-12-25 get a longer look (with the intention of giving them easier minutes). Switching out Morrow for MPS on that line really changes the dynamic of what they bring to the ice. Stewart would need to stop passing up shots, and they won't be the best on the cycle, but their speed/rush game will compensate by creating chances (especially against lower competition). You won't want them caught out there against top lines, but they should be adequate defensively most of the time.

I liked what I was seeing from 9-21-91, and I would like to see them back together.
Honestly I really agree with this the most.

They never got the opportunity with MPS. Roy needs to step his game up he was invisible out there last night. Sobotka is playing amazing though and it's hard not to notice. Regardless of scoring everytime he is in the game we get a good cycle going or he makes a good hit etc. without him I don't think we manage to make last night a game he was easily our MVP last night.

Old
10-26-2013, 01:34 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

I wonder if the Blues underestimated how bad Roy's defensive game and decision making is these days. You pretty much can't put him on the ice when the game is tight in the 3rd. Thank goodness Sobotka is as versatile as he is.

Old
10-26-2013, 01:35 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

I really hope Schwartz-Berglund-Tarasenko get back together. Like Easton was saying, they were playing really well and I felt like they were close to becoming very productive. Sure it's a small sample size and it's early, but I think Schwartz and Tarasenko have been the best compliments that Berglund has ever had.

Old
10-26-2013, 01:36 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

The new GDT isn't up yet so I'm going to put this here. I just got Craknell Elliott Jaro Hitch and Bernie to sign my tickets. Lappy just walked right by us, which I was fine with quite frankly. I wish I would've had something else for them to sign lol. I just panicked when I saw Elliott and grabbed my ticket and a pen.

Old
10-26-2013, 01:48 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Did Lappy see the others signing stuff for you and he still walked by? What a tool, it's not like he has to prepare for anything.

Old
10-26-2013, 01:50 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
I wonder if the Blues underestimated how bad Roy's defensive game and decision making is these days. You pretty much can't put him on the ice when the game is tight in the 3rd. Thank goodness Sobotka is as versatile as he is.
I was probably expecting less from him than many, but I was still expecting better than what he's shown. I think his play will trend upwards at some point, but I also think that he's a complementary player at this point in his career.

To be fair, my biggest hope for him was that he would pick up as a PP catalyst where (the good version of) McDonald left off, and he is tied for the team lead in PP points on a unit that's currently 3rd best in the league.

If he can help sustain that success, chip in enough ES points to keep his linemates relevant offensively, and generally not lose games for the team when he doesn't have the puck, then I think his time here will be a success. I know others had higher expectations for him, but for the record those are my completely arbitrary standards.

Old
10-26-2013, 01:53 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
The new GDT isn't up yet so I'm going to put this here. I just got Craknell Elliott Jaro Hitch and Bernie to sign my tickets. Lappy just walked right by us, which I was fine with quite frankly. I wish I would've had something else for them to sign lol. I just panicked when I saw Elliott and grabbed my ticket and a pen.
If you ever want Lappy's attention, just bring along a board to face.

Old
10-26-2013, 02:28 PM
taylord22

Unpopular Blues board opinion: Sobotka is the most capable player of getting Tarasenko the puck in open space, consistently. I like the swap, even though it wastes Roy's talent a bit.

Old
10-26-2013, 02:36 PM
The Note in Ky
Bow to the pyramid

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylord22 View Post
Unpopular Blues board opinion: Sobotka is the most capable player of getting Tarasenko the puck in open space, consistently. I like the swap, even though it wastes Roy's talent a bit.
Aside from Schwartz I agree with this.

Old
10-26-2013, 02:47 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Pick up the conversation in the new GDT or in the Blues Discussion thread.

Closed Thread