HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Fischer update

Old
12-11-2006, 01:36 PM
The Big E

vCash: 500
David Fischer update

As a native Minnesotan, a Minneapolis resident and a life-long Goofer fan, I figured y'all might want to know how David Fischer is doing.

Great.

He's a rarity. He's an actual 18 year old Frosh (most are 19-21 and play a year or two in the USHL). If it weren't for Erik Johnson impersonating Chris Pronger and Scott Stevens, we'd be talking about how awesome Fischer's been playing.

He's got a great skating stride, very solid defensively and a great passer. The Goofers play run-n-gun hockey, so he's definitely playing well defensively. He's got a pretty good extendo-stick ... you know ... when he reachs out and seems to get to pucks he otherwise shouldn't.

The Don roles three D pairings so he's getting plenty of ice time. Erik Johnson will be playing pro next season, so he'll have a leadership role on the team next season to really prove he's Da Bomb.

The Big E

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 01:39 PM
bayrider

With his skating and passing abilities, would you compare him to Niedermayer?

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 01:40 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Great to hear, he sounds like a late first round gem.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 01:41 PM
gusfring

Yet he wasn't invited to the WJC US team...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 01:53 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Yay, they decided to take Sean frickin Zimmerman instead (and Kyle Lawson before him too)
. He's a good overall d but what Zimmerman has done to be on the team? Atleast, Fischer was impressive in wjc's tryouts camp. Lawson was a late round pick and did well in teh USHL last year and he's having a decent freshman season (but nothing overly impressive). Fischer was a late first round pick and I was sure he was going to be named to be at worse the 7th d on the team. I guess, they aren't impressed by his play in Minny but it's not like he can do really much on the third pairing and with no pp ice time(plus he's a true freshman coming out of USHS). What a low blow for us habs fans! But let's be positive, his chances of making the team next year are prolly' way bigger.

Anyways, thx for the informative post Big E.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Thanks a lot for the report. Great to hear. He seems like a really good kid from the development camp, and he is definitely a great prospect.

I would guess he'll have a slow-ish development curve polishing off his game (a la Komi), but I don't doubt that he'll be on our blueline in a few years time.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 02:04 PM
SOLR

I think the only reason hes not at team usa camp is the number of gophers already at that camp and the gophers said to team usa to back off fischer unless they were 100% sure he would make the starting lineup.(I.E no fischer as 7th man even if he would be the man.) The reason for doing so by the Gophers is simple, they dont have 15 backups for the team, so they will need fischer to fill in some of Johnson duties. No need to panic, for a 18 years old to be 7th D in the country is not bad at all, more so in the last years of high value prospects in the US.

As off any comparison with great Ds, hes no Niedermayer, since hes taller, more like a Larry Robinson.(Wether he got this potential we dont know yet, but hes playing the same style)

I also think he will developt faster than Komi, since using his size is not really in his prime assets, hes much more about controlling the puck and being very good with his stick. We are also talking about an already great leader who will get throught some steps faster than other people because of it. I expect him on our blueline at 21, off side chance for 20 years old. While many people will tell you Komo is a leader as well, theres really a big step between the 2 in the size and strenght of those leadership abilities.

Last edited by SOLR: 12-11-2006 at 02:19 PM.
SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Pascal

With Fischer/Higgins/Price/Chipchura, our leadership is taken care of for a number of years. They're all very mature and good hockey minds.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Meh, same with Bobby Ryan and Michael Sauer, so I won't judge him on that.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 03:55 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big E View Post
As a native Minnesotan, a Minneapolis resident and a life-long Goofer fan, I figured y'all might want to know how David Fischer is doing.

Great.

He's a rarity. He's an actual 18 year old Frosh (most are 19-21 and play a year or two in the USHL). If it weren't for Erik Johnson impersonating Chris Pronger and Scott Stevens, we'd be talking about how awesome Fischer's been playing.

He's got a great skating stride, very solid defensively and a great passer. The Goofers play run-n-gun hockey, so he's definitely playing well defensively. He's got a pretty good extendo-stick ... you know ... when he reachs out and seems to get to pucks he otherwise shouldn't.

The Don roles three D pairings so he's getting plenty of ice time. Erik Johnson will be playing pro next season, so he'll have a leadership role on the team next season to really prove he's Da Bomb.

The Big E
I've seen almost every game of his and I don't think I would use the word great. He continues to improve, he's been very solid in his own end, aside from some rookie mistakes here and there that one would expect a true freshman. But offensively he's done nothing, he seems to always play it safe, which I have no problem with and not seeing any PP time effects his stats. I love his passing game though, very good passer, his best asset imo. His skating is good but I notice his stance is very wide, not knocking him, just pointing it out, doesn't seem to be any sort of problem at all. His speed is good and I'm surprised that he seems to do well in pinning forwards along the boards.

I'd like to see him shoot more, he never seems to shoot, I can't even recall any slap shots (not that defensemen need to slap the puck, just don't recall seeing him do so)

Quote:
Yes he was invited, and the reports from HF were that he had a very strong camp. I can't say cause I wasn't there. He didn't make the team this year, from what I understand 5 spots were locked up with returning players and the head coach of Minnesota (the #1 ranked team in the nation) and former Team USA WJC coach, asked Team USA not to take Fischer if he's not going to play. So Fischer still had the chance to get the last starting spot but imo he hasn't been all that noticeable. He's been solid in his own end for sure, blocking shots, good stick work, good along the boards, moves the puck well on the breakout, but only 3 assists, I can see why he didn't get the final spot.

The good news is that with Johnson leaving for the wjc's he will get his spot, so he might see some PP time now.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Much appreciated!

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 04:13 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
With Fischer/Higgins/Price/Chipchura, our leadership is taken care of for a number of years. They're all very mature and good hockey minds.
Add Komisarek, Lapierre.. Maybe OByrne as well...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 05:02 PM
westcoast habsfan

I figured with Johnson playing in Minny this year Fischer might have problems getting PP time. The good news with Fischer NOT making the U.S. Jr. is that he should get that playing time now in Minny. He also might be part of a championship too. ESPN's John Buccigross has Minnesota as one of his favorites to win a National Championship. That would set him up nicely for next year when he should get prime playing time at Minny, and hopefully, step up as a Top 4 defenceman with team U.S. next year rather than being a part-timer this year. I like how this kid projects.

westcoast habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 05:28 PM
La Grosse Tendresse
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Add Komisarek, Lapierre.. Maybe OByrne as well...
Might as well add Cedrick Desjardins, Jon Gleed and Cory Urquhart while you're at it.

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEB View Post
Might as well add Cedrick Desjardins, Jon Gleed and Cory Urquhart while you're at it.

Urquhart??

are you kidding?

Carbonneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 07:18 PM
habitforming

Your opinions . . . . . would we more or less with all the young guys on the farm & what we have up here with the youngsters be considered at a state where the Senators were at with their system?

Hopefully, though we would have more success past regular season games.

habitforming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
As a native Minnesotan, a Minneapolis resident and a life-long Goofer fan, I figured y'all might want to know how David Fischer is doing.Great.

The Big E
Thanks for the info on Fischer. Much appreciated.

By the way...it's early, but...can you compare Fischer's style to any NHL defencemen? (curious!! &...just for fun!).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 07:35 PM
habitforming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Thanks for the info on Fischer. Much appreciated.

By the way...it's early, but...can you compare Fischer's style to any NHL defencemen? (curious!! &...just for fun!).

. . . you know not only Fischer, but I was going to post a question to all as to whom would you compare Souray to. Past & present . . .

Old
12-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
. . . you know not only Fischer, but I was going to post a question to all as to whom would you compare Souray to. Past & present . . .
You got me there!

From day one though, I felt Souray could improve the Habs with his leadership (potential). He oozed of confidence, heart, size/height, grit, leadership (also sticks up for teammates, protects our goalies)...there was so much potential (the day he was obtained for Malakhov...super trade!).

To answer your question about a Souray comparison...?? It's a tough one!
I'll give others a chance to answer it!! I'll come back & hopefully try another time!!...

P.S: by the way...I've been a couple of times to Vancouver (summer time)...it really is beautiful in "Beautiful" British Columbia!!

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2006, 01:08 AM
habitforming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
You got me there!

From day one though, I felt Souray could improve the Habs with his leadership (potential). He oozed of confidence, heart, size/height, grit, leadership (also sticks up for teammates, protects our goalies)...there was so much potential (the day he was obtained for Malakhov...super trade!).

To answer your question about a Souray comparison...?? It's a tough one!
I'll give others a chance to answer it!! I'll come back & hopefully try another time!!...

P.S: by the way...I've been a couple of times to Vancouver (summer time)...it really is beautiful in "Beautiful" British Columbia!!

Cheers . . . . not so beautiful this week though - typical winter weather

Old
12-12-2006, 01:29 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Souray could be compared to Bryan McCabe pretty easily. As for a past comparison, I might venture a Brian Leetch, though the "dead puck" era makes that comparison difficult. Leetch is also a much better passer.

12-13-2006, 03:24 PM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
With his skating and passing abilities, would you compare him to Niedermayer?
No. Nieds only started playing rough in these last couple of years. Nieds is one of the top skaters in the league. Fischer won't ever be the best skater in the NHL ... then again ... that's not a knock on him. His skating is still really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
I think the only reason hes not at team usa camp is the number of gophers already at that camp ...
As off any comparison with great Ds, hes no Niedermayer, since hes taller, more like a Larry Robinson.(Wether he got this potential we dont know yet, but hes playing the same style).
The Goofers are gonna be in trouble during the WJCs.

He's long-n-lanky like Robinson was when he was young. However, Johnson would better compare with Robinson.

If anybody remembers Doug Zmolek, he's like Zmolek except a better skater. Zmo was great as a Goofer and had a decent pro career. He dominates defensively like Zmo, has the extendo-stick and from watching him in High School, once Johnson and the upper classmen are gone, he'll take charge offensively.

The bottom line is the kid's got lotsa room for growth and an excellent program in which to develop his offensive abilities.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2006, 09:13 PM
terreur

Great to hear... i was skeptical with the pick, but I trust Gainey and Thiemens.

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote