HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Col - tor

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-26-2013, 02:22 PM
  #26
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,121
vCash: 177
edit: whoops

as for this deal, I love Stasny

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 02:28 PM
  #27
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 11,125
vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
I think the question for AVS fans is what is Stastny's future with their team? - but I can understand if he's currently a big part of their team to start the season.
His future is the same as it currently is, our #2 center going forward until MacKinnon is ready. And I don't expect that to be for another 3-4 years since MacKinnon needs to learn how to play very steady defensively and/or we need to pick up a very solid shutdown center if we lose Stastny.

His line currently gets the top matchups and does very well at it. Only Duchy's line could handle those minutes and taking ROR off Duchy's line should not be explored unless due to injury.

We don't have a huge incentive to move him unless he won't re-sign and only Roy knows the extent of that discussion. So we'll leave it up to Roy to decide Stastny's fate and just hope he's willing to extend for ~5-5.5mil for another 3-4 years while MacKinnon develops and we start to contend.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 02:32 PM
  #28
Nazemlupul
Registered User
 
Nazemlupul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Vaughan,ON
Posts: 4,611
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeGoat View Post
No thanks. If someone has a 6.6M cap hit, they better be producing at a near elite clip.
A 6 million dollar cap hit gets you 60 points in today's NHL. Unless you think 60 points is elite, I don't think it's fair to expect Stastny to put up elite numbers. 60 points and good defensive play is fair value for 6.6 million a year.

Nazemlupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 02:34 PM
  #29
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,733
vCash: 566
If Leafs fans think Bozak is overpaid at 4M, what will they think of Stasny LOL.

Leafs say no easily.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 02:57 PM
  #30
chewey
dmitri
 
chewey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near You!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,837
vCash: 136
Why trade for a pending UFA? Just wait and throw money at him and not give up assets. Toronto isn't a poor team. ..

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 02:59 PM
  #31
AuraSphere
Registered User
 
AuraSphere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
No way leafs do this lol. Gardiner is much more valuable than Stastny is right now (Just because he's a UFA at the end is what I mean). I'd rather not give up a player who I'm so high on for a 2nd line center who's only a little better than bozak that might just leave the team after a season

AuraSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 03:28 PM
  #32
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraSphere View Post
No way leafs do this lol. Gardiner is much more valuable than Stastny is right now (Just because he's a UFA at the end is what I mean). I'd rather not give up a player who I'm so high on for a 2nd line center who's only a little better than bozak that might just leave the team after a season
You realize that Staz surpassed the numbers Bozak put up with Kessel playing with guys like David jones and chuck Kobasew in a defensive role, right?

He'd be a very good fit on your first line and getting him in to experience what it's like making a playoff push in that role could make it much easier to convince him to sign with you instead of going to the Blues where he could be the top center for his home town team and play with his best friend stewie again.

There's a reason all Avs fans would love for him to stay if he's willing to re-up.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 04:21 PM
  #33
marty111
Registered User
 
marty111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
His future is the same as it currently is, our #2 center going forward until MacKinnon is ready. And I don't expect that to be for another 3-4 years since MacKinnon needs to learn how to play very steady defensively and/or we need to pick up a very solid shutdown center if we lose Stastny.

His line currently gets the top matchups and does very well at it. Only Duchy's line could handle those minutes and taking ROR off Duchy's line should not be explored unless due to injury.

We don't have a huge incentive to move him unless he won't re-sign and only Roy knows the extent of that discussion. So we'll leave it up to Roy to decide Stastny's fate and just hope he's willing to extend for ~5-5.5mil for another 3-4 years while MacKinnon develops and we start to contend.
Absolutely.

It's going to come down to dollars and "sense" for the AVS though. I imagine at 27 years of age Stastny will be looking for a long term deal. An 8 year deal takes him till he's 35, perhaps a bit too long for the Avs to take on with MacKinnon coming up the ranks in 3ish years. Or does Stastny take on a 5-7 year deal that might make more sense for Avs management moving forward? What is he looking for per year?

These are things that we don't have a beat on. My guess with ROR moving to the wing it makes the most sense for Colorado to resign Stastny as he has a prominent role on the team and I would imagine he feels the same way too. However there is some "massaging" needed to be done in the coming months for any sort of certainty to come about.

Still I think there is a possibility that the Avs decide to move him. If so I see this deal helping out both clubs down the line. I feel confident that Leafs could resign him for a good dollar (losing Liles) as well offering him #1 minutes between JVR and Kessel in a winning environment and I would imagine if the situation came about, that would be an enticing offer for Stastny.

Anyway it is what it is at the moment.

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 04:46 PM
  #34
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 11,125
vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
Absolutely.

It's going to come down to dollars and "sense" for the AVS though. I imagine at 27 years of age Stastny will be looking for a long term deal. An 8 year deal takes him till he's 35, perhaps a bit too long for the Avs to take on with MacKinnon coming up the ranks in 3ish years. Or does Stastny take on a 5-7 year deal that might make more sense for Avs management moving forward? What is he looking for per year?
I personally don't see him turning down a ~4 year deal at ~5.25-5.5 per. He has no reason to, it's around what he'd be looking at in free agency (~5.5-6) and it's also a length that takes him right to the end of his prime. So he'll still be up there come free agency trip #2, like Brad Richards and be able to cash in after 3-4 years of playoff runs or re-sign to an end of his career deal with the Avs.

We have the space to afford him and add some money to the defense provided the cap continues to climb over the next few years.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 04:47 PM
  #35
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,733
vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
You realize that Staz surpassed the numbers Bozak put up with Kessel playing with guys like David jones and chuck Kobasew in a defensive role, right?

He'd be a very good fit on your first line and getting him in to experience what it's like making a playoff push in that role could make it much easier to convince him to sign with you instead of going to the Blues where he could be the top center for his home town team and play with his best friend stewie again.

There's a reason all Avs fans would love for him to stay if he's willing to re-up.
Good. I think you guys should re-sign him. Just so we don't have to hear about him being on the Leafs.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 04:51 PM
  #36
Mapleleafs Fan*
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
We don't have to give up on anything for Stastny. He is a free agent for sure.

Mapleleafs Fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 04:51 PM
  #37
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind
 
RTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,914
vCash: 500
They must have changed the meaning of mediocre since I was in school.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 05:15 PM
  #38
jfisher6
#thestructure
 
jfisher6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,075
vCash: 50
I missed these lol

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 05:29 PM
  #39
foppagirl21
Registered User
 
foppagirl21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Not an easy no at all. I would absolutely love to have Gardiner here. I would probably say no since I feel Stastny is too important to part with right now and the fact that I want Liles nowhere close to the Avs, but it's definitely fair in terms of value. It's more than fair.
I think I agree with you. I DEFINITELY agree with you regarding Liles.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 09:13 PM
  #40
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post

TO TORONTO:
F - Paul Sastny


TO COLORADO:
D - Jake Gardiner
D - John Micheal Liles

Works cap wise. Leafs can look at moving Bozak simultaneously. Avs can either buyout Liles or move him next year when his contract might be more palatable.
The idea of getting rid of Tyler Bozak to trade for Paul Stasnty is asinine, to say the least.

At the end of the day, they're quite comparable players, and Toronto got Bozak locked up for a very reasonable 4.2x5. Paul Stastny isn't going to be available to the Leafs for that. Plus, Toronto's top line was perfectly fine all of last year, and is doing just as well this year. They've got 15 goals between the 3 of them, and that's with 3 man games missed.

If Toronto is trading to address weaknesses in their lineup, it's on the blueline, in the context of a stay-at-home defenceman to get Paul Ranger out of the lineup, and take on a role much bigger than that of Mark Fraser.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2013, 11:04 PM
  #41
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,946
vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleleafs Fan View Post
We don't have to give up on anything for Stastny. He is a free agent for sure.
The funny part is that you seem to think he'd be a lock to end up on the Leafs when it's much more likely that he signs on with the Blues (replacing Derek Roy and his 1 yr deal) that is, if he doesn't re-up with the Avs.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 12:54 AM
  #42
Mapleleafs Fan*
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
I don't mind where he signs up. It's just good for us not to loose any prospects for a player who we can't fit in salary cap. OP for 3rd line center?!

Mapleleafs Fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 01:07 AM
  #43
Avs44
Registered User
 
Avs44's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,589
vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleleafs Fan View Post
I don't mind where he signs up. It's just good for us not to loose any prospects for a player who we can't fit in salary cap. OP for 3rd line center?!
No, the OP is for Paul Stastny, not a third line center. Glad to clear that up for you.



Seriously, where does this Paul Stastny is a third line center stuff come from He's the second line center on a team that has among the best center depth in the NHL with Duchene, O'Reilly, Stastny, and MacKinnon all capable of playing there.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 07:05 AM
  #44
TheHeroIshere
Ronaldo!
 
TheHeroIshere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleleafs Fan View Post
I don't mind where he signs up. It's just good for us not to loose any prospects for a player who we can't fit in salary cap. OP for 3rd line center?!
If you consider him a 3rd liner then I consider Bozak a third liner easily.

No to the proposal. I think Gardiner will be a great defensemen one day but Staz is important to the Avs as others have said. Mackinnon is not yet ready to play 2'nd line minutes and we would be without a third line center which means O'reilly would most likely have to play center which is not a good idea because he has looked really good on the wing with Duchene.

TheHeroIshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 07:18 AM
  #45
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,136
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeGoat View Post
No thanks. If someone has a 6.6M cap hit, they better be producing at a near elite clip.
Like Dion Phaneuf is?

FerrisRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 07:26 AM
  #46
Mapleleafs Fan*
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeroIshere View Post
If you consider him a 3rd liner then I consider Bozak a third liner easily.

No to the proposal. I think Gardiner will be a great defensemen one day but Staz is important to the Avs as others have said. Mackinnon is not yet ready to play 2'nd line minutes and we would be without a third line center which means O'reilly would most likely have to play center which is not a good idea because he has looked really good on the wing with Duchene.
Yup Bozak is a 3rd liner playing on first line. Do you want Bozak back in a package for Stastny?

Mapleleafs Fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 07:34 AM
  #47
TheHeroIshere
Ronaldo!
 
TheHeroIshere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleleafs Fan View Post
Yup Bozak is a 3rd liner playing on first line. Do you want Bozak back in a package for Stastny?
I think I will pass.

TheHeroIshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 07:47 AM
  #48
Mapleleafs Fan*
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeroIshere View Post
I think I will pass.
That's the reason why we don't want Stastny.

Mapleleafs Fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 09:00 AM
  #49
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!
 
FishManSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: I Bet You Hate T.O
Country: Croatia
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
ROR instead of Stastny.

Each year Stastny sees a decline in his production, he has a massive cap hit which expires this year... Why do we give Gards for an impending UFA who has seen negative development.

Bozak would have to be moved as well, and now that Kessel's locked up, we can ship him out

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2013, 09:03 AM
  #50
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!
 
FishManSam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: I Bet You Hate T.O
Country: Croatia
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Like Dion Phaneuf is?
Phaneuf is elite this year. He has shut down teams Top players all year, notice Crosby did not get any points last night? He is leading our team in +\- while playing some of the toughest minutes in the league and he's still producing at a 41 point pace...

I was always against Phaneuf and wanted him gone, but this year he has been elite, learn before you post.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.