HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Boyle is getting physical

Old
12-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
I thought that DL valued Lewis based on Murray's recommendation. It's true that he said he wouldn't deal if Lewis wasn't there, but he also admitted that he didn't know a whole lot about the players in this draft and that he was relying on the scouting. So if anything, I WOULD pin this one on Murray, though DL is the one that gambled on his recommendation.
Ok, fair 'nuff.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 05:38 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Wolverine View Post
I thought that DL valued Lewis based on Murray's recommendation. It's true that he said he wouldn't deal if Lewis wasn't there, but he also admitted that he didn't know a whole lot about the players in this draft and that he was relying on the scouting. So if anything, I WOULD pin this one on Murray, though DL is the one that gambled on his recommendation.
I never heard any of what you guys are saying from the media. But it sure is strange that DL didn't know a whole lot about the players in this draft when he was the head scout for philly up until this summer. So I'm not exactly sure where you guys are getting all your info from.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
I never heard any of what you guys are saying from the media. But it sure is strange that DL didn't know a whole lot about the players in this draft when he was the head scout for philly up until this summer. So I'm not exactly sure where you guys are getting all your info from.
Go watch and read interviews from Lombardi on how that trade went down. And Lombardi was the head NHL scout, not amateur scout, for the Flyers.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
Well I heard Jim Fox himself say the whole "Demitra would not have been traded if Trevor Lewis was not available when Minnesota selected" line just the other night. He said that Lewis was the main player the Kings wanted not O'Sullivan.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Well I heard Jim Fox himself say the whole "Demitra would not have been traded if Trevor Lewis was not available when Minnesota selected" line just the other night. He said that Lewis was the main player the Kings wanted not O'Sullivan.

I find it hard to believe that the cornerstone of the Demitra trade was Lewis instead of O'Sullivan....

This sounds like post-trade spin more then anything. I bet if O'Sullivan was still on the team we would be hearing about how he was the point of the trade and not Lewis...

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
I find it hard to believe that the cornerstone of the Demitra trade was Lewis instead of O'Sullivan....

This sounds like post-trade spin more then anything. I bet if O'Sullivan was still on the team we would be hearing about how he was the point of the trade and not Lewis...
Well this was what was said right after the trade. So I am sure it has some truth to it. This was also long before O'Sullivan ever even put on a Kings jersey.

Old
12-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The story goes (and the video of this is available) that Doug Risebrough and Dean Lombardi agreed to the trade, pending the status of Trevor Lewis' availability.

Risebrough was reluctant, thinking that Lombardi would back out of the trade, so Lombardi cut a piece of paper, wrote Trevor Lewis' name, folded the sheet and handed it to Risebrough and told him not to open it until the Kings went to the podium to announce their selection with the 17th pick in the draft.

When the trade went down, you see Risebrough (on television) at the Wild draft table showing off that sheet of paper to his scouting staff.

And here is the video, http://youtube.com/watch?v=5-hPA4AYJ0A
Here is a longer video of the Kings' 2006 draft, with more on the trade, http://youtube.com/watch?v=fdYZXWsfI...elated&search=

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 12-11-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 07:04 PM
Belanger25
The Iceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
False. See Jeremy Roenick
Jeremy Roenick went to Canadian Juniors and not the USA College System so he was drafted at 18.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 07:31 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
Jeremy Roenick went to Canadian Juniors and not the USA College System so he was drafted at 18.

Originally he was supposed to go to college in Boston. Rumor goes he showed up saw the class load and called his agent to get him into the Q as soon as possible.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Here is a longer video of the Kings' 2006 draft, with more on the trade, http://youtube.com/watch?v=fdYZXWsfI...elated&search=
I hadn't noticed before that they played "I Love L.A." when Bernier was selected. That was pretty slick of the GM Place booth guys.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
I don't recall him saying that, and, if he did, then I really doubt that it was accurate. What's more accurate, IMO, is that Lombardi wanted both and wouldn't pull the deal without both. There was no doubt that O'Sullivan was available, since Riseborough had agreed to trade him much earlier than that; there was some doubt that Lewis would be available at the 17th pick. It doesn't make Lewis the "cornerstone" just because his availability was in doubt later than O'Sullivan's. Lombardi wanted both players or no deal. Besides, it makes no sense for Lombardi to trade arguably his team's best asset when the cornerstone return is completely on the recommendation of inherited scouts.

Last edited by Osprey: 12-11-2006 at 08:02 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 08:09 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Go watch and read interviews from Lombardi on how that trade went down. And Lombardi was the head NHL scout, not amateur scout, for the Flyers.
ah, ic. Makes sense, thank you.

Nice video capture, I don't know why I don't remember any of that, maybe I must have missed watching the draft that day. Lota drama, pretty interesting.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I don't recall him saying that, and, if he did, then I really doubt that it was accurate. What's more accurate, IMO, is that Lombardi wanted both and wouldn't pull the deal without both. There was no doubt that O'Sullivan was available, since Riseborough had agreed to trade him much earlier than that; there was some doubt that Lewis would be available at the 17th pick. It doesn't make Lewis the "cornerstone" just because his availability was in doubt later than O'Sullivan's. Lombardi wanted both players or no deal. Besides, it makes no sense for Lombardi to trade arguably his team's best asset when the cornerstone return is completely on the recommendation of inherited scouts.
Well you and I will probably never know the whole truth. But if O'Sullivan was the "Main" focus in the deal then I am sure Lombardi would have found a way to make the deal work even without Lewis. Because there was still alot of really talented players available when Lewis was selected. Which makes the whole deal appear to have been centered around Lewis. And I am not saying I that I don't think that Lombardi wanted O'Sullivan. Because he obviously did. I think he just wanted Lewis a little more. And for all we know Lombardi had indeed seen Lewis play before the draft. In fact I am reasonably sure that this was the case.