HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread VIII: "The makeup has to be jigged"

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2013, 06:27 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 500
What's worse if you're a player: having to watch bad goals go in or having to listen to somebody talk about the universe?

Of course if the case ends up being both, then Bryzgalov is the worse option.

Old
10-26-2013, 06:34 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
What's worse if you're a player: having to watch bad goals go in or having to listen to somebody talk about the universe?

Of course if the case ends up being both, then Bryzgalov is the worse option.
I just remember hearing about how Laraque talking about being a vegan and trying to convince people to turn into vegans was apart of why he was bought out and never found another job.

Sometimes guys just don't want nuts in the room.

Old
10-26-2013, 06:38 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
At this point, you have to have a fix the D and the goaltending. Doing one without the other seems.....lazy.

We're currently 30th in GA, giving up 10 more goals than the next side. Yeah our goaltending couldn't stop a beachball, but the lack of defensive coverage isn't helping.
Probably not, but at some point your goalie has to bail your team out.

Case in point: Bernier and Smith saves against Arcobello which would've put the game away in both cases.

Old
10-26-2013, 06:39 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I just remember hearing about how Laraque talking about being a vegan and trying to convince people to turn into vegans was apart of why he was bought out and never found another job.

Sometimes guys just don't want nuts in the room.
Yea but Laraque was irrelevant as a player. A nut in the locker room was all he was.

If Bryzgalov stops pucks then I dunno who complains. Just like if Laraque went out and scored 40 guys would've just nodded their heads and smiled even if they thought he was insane.

Old
10-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Doc Scurlock

Quote:
Yea but Laraque was irrelevant as a player. A nut in the locker room was all he was.

If Bryzgalov stops pucks then I dunno who complains. Just like if Laraque went out and scored 40 guys would've just nodded their heads and smiled even if they thought he was insane.
Also, goalies are supposed to be weird. That's like a hockey rule or something. You accept that.

Old
10-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Bottom line...you win games and nobody cares how weird you are.

Old
10-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post

Case in point: Bernier and Smith saves against Arcobello which would've put the game away in both cases.
Absolutely, the last Washington game was an example of needing our goalie to make a big save and not being able to. No argument here.

Our D doesn't make it any better though. Bad defensive coverage giving up quality shots against a shakey goalie. If that isn't a recipe that ends up in a team giving up an average of 4 GA...oh.

Spend some assets and fix both.

What I'm scared of is if we continue to suck, MacT might become more hesitant to trade the 1st round pick if it's projected top-5.

10-26-2013, 06:50 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

I don't know that I'd say that, but even if I did agree nothing really suggest Ilya can stop a puck.

Old
10-26-2013, 06:54 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Absolutely, the last Washington game was an example of needing our goalie to make a big save and not being able to. No argument here.

Our D doesn't make it any better though. Bad defensive coverage giving up quality shots against a shakey goalie. If that isn't a recipe that ends up in a team giving up an average of 4 GA...oh.

Spend some assets and fix both.

What I'm scared of is if we continue to suck, MacT might become more hesitant to trade the 1st round pick if it's projected top-5.
The defensive coverage hasn't been great, I agree. But the difference on a lot of the losses this season has been a single save.

Winnipeg, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Islanders, and now this game. That's 5 games we've lost by a single goal. Granted Dubnyk played well in the Islanders game so I don't blame him, but the others we could've salvaged points if the goaltender made one extra save.

The Coyotes in this game had numerous defensive breakdowns and we took advantage. The problem is they couldn't rely on their own goalie.

I can understand if we get outplayed or outtalented and lose. But more often than not this team has deserved a better fate. This game was another example, we should've at least had a point.

Eventually the players are going to wonder what it's going to take to get a win when they can't rely on their goaltending to do anything.

At the very least Dubnyk seems to have turned a corner, but I think LaBarbera's time has run out.

Old
10-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
The defensive coverage hasn't been great, I agree. But the difference on a lot of the losses this season has been a single save.

Winnipeg, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Islanders, and now this game. That's 5 games we've lost by a single goal. Granted Dubnyk played well in the Islanders game so I don't blame him, but the others we could've salvaged points if the goaltender made one extra save.

The Coyotes in this game had numerous defensive breakdowns and we took advantage. The problem is they couldn't rely on their own goalie.

I can understand if we get outplayed or outtalented and lose. But more often than not this team has deserved a better fate. This game was another example, we should've at least had a point.

Eventually the players are going to wonder what it's going to take to get a win when they can't rely on their goaltending to do anything.

At the very least Dubnyk seems to have turned a corner, but I think LaBarbera's time has run out.
Your right, but I go back to the first Washington game. Someone posted a graphic highlighting the shots for and against.

~70% of Washington's shots were from the slot. If your hellbent on using the swarm D, you can't be giving up quality shots on a crappy D. You need players if you want it to work. Yeah our goaltenders don't make the timely saves, but giving up consistent shots from good scoring angles definitely won't help.

i just say fix both.

Old
10-26-2013, 07:09 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Your right, but I go back to the first Washington game. Someone posted a graphic highlighting the shots for and against.

~70% of Washington's shots were from the slot. If your hellbent on using the swarm D, you can't be giving up quality shots on a crappy D. You need players if you want it to work. Yeah our goaltenders don't make the timely saves, but giving up consistent shots from good scoring angles definitely won't help.

i just say fix both.
Oh I agree. You can't give teams chances in the slot. It'll kill you every time.

But that wasn't the case tonight. Most of the goals were scored from well outside.

Old
10-26-2013, 07:14 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
We built the team wrong should have went from the backend out not from the forwards back. Now who knows if we'll ever make the playoffs let alone win a cup...

Old
10-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
We built the team wrong should have went from the backend out not from the forwards back. Now who knows if we'll ever make the playoffs let alone win a cup...
so we should have taken gubs larson and murray? then we'd be set.

Old
10-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Well the funny thing about the forwards....they're scoring. I'm honestly not that worried. Yes you could argue for a better two-way presence, but I think that's not as hard of a fix as the D and goaltending is. We're currently in 6th for GF and 8th on 5v5 GF. This is with a 0-18 PP and consistent injuries for the forward group. Not to mention a few of our players in slump city.

The problem is the a porous D and sieve-esque goaltending. You fix both of those and you give this club a much better chance at winning each game.

Old
10-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Conkanen*

We need CuJo and Pronger then we run the table.

Old
10-26-2013, 07:37 PM
joestevens29

The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL 1m
Hearing #LAKings about to make a roster move. Look for player to be called up from Manch sooner rather than later. #Imminent

Interesting.

Old
10-26-2013, 07:42 PM
xlnc66

Quote:

Agree 100%. Goalies need to be able to step up and make the key saves, even if they are difficult. Tired of seeing the constant excuses about there being a screen, or a tip at the blueline, etc. It's funny how the goalies on the other teams seem to have no problem coming up with the save when placed in the same situation.

Old
10-26-2013, 07:46 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Hearing #LAKings about to make a roster move. Look for player to be called up from Manch sooner rather than later. #Imminent

Interesting.
So a player for a pick? Need to replace said player with minor league call up?

Old
10-26-2013, 07:50 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
so we should have taken gubs larson and murray? then we'd be set.

No but we could have found a younger goalie then Khabibulin. If we could have got a guy like Halak or Anderson one of the holes would have been filled. Maybe we could have traded the 2012 1st for an actual d man. Tambo screwed us by not preparing this team to be ready to compete by year 3 of the rebuild. This team actually looks worse now then it did in 2009 which is pretty damning.

Old
10-26-2013, 07:52 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:

Interesting.
Lander for Scrivens. They call up Martin Jones.

Quick vs. Scrivens tomorrow.

Old
10-26-2013, 07:52 PM
Bergeron47

Really hoping Hellberg shines in Nashville while Rinne is out over the next month. The we could maybe chuck a Yak or Gagner for Rinne type deal

Old
10-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
No but we could have found a younger goalie then Khabibulin. If we could have got a guy like Halak or Anderson one of the holes would have been filled. Maybe we could have traded the 2012 1st for an actual d man. Tambo screwed us by not preparing this team to be ready to compete by year 3 of the rebuild. This team actually looks worse now then it did in 2009 which is pretty damning.
I agree I think they had chances to get guys Halak or Craig Andersen in the recent pass, but just sat on their hands.

Even Bryzgalov would've been better in the 1B role than Labarbera, but Labarbera gets signed here because Mac T knows him from years ago.

Old
10-26-2013, 08:00 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I agree I think they had chances to get guys Halak or Craig Andersen in the recent pass, but just sat on their hands.

Even Bryzgalov would've been better in the 1B role than Labarbera, but Labarbera gets signed here because Mac T knows him from years ago.
Bobby Mac was on 1260 a few Fridays back and he made it sound like no one other than Tor and Phi(very briefly) called on Bernier. Just shocked we didn't make the call. Then again maybe we did early and were told there was no chance at us getting him.

Old
10-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Soundwave

It's depressing that I'm even thinking about this but if we do end up drafting Ekblad ...

Smid Petry
Schultz Nurse
Ference Ekblad

Next year?

Old
10-26-2013, 08:01 PM
joestevens29

At least we didn't pay Bulin 1.7mil like the Hawks did.

Closed Thread