HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FA Signings, Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread VIII: "The makeup has to be jigged"

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-26-2013, 06:27 PM
  #251
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,713
vCash: 500
What's worse if you're a player: having to watch bad goals go in or having to listen to somebody talk about the universe?

Of course if the case ends up being both, then Bryzgalov is the worse option.

syz is online now  
Old
10-26-2013, 06:34 PM
  #252
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,101
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
What's worse if you're a player: having to watch bad goals go in or having to listen to somebody talk about the universe?

Of course if the case ends up being both, then Bryzgalov is the worse option.
I just remember hearing about how Laraque talking about being a vegan and trying to convince people to turn into vegans was apart of why he was bought out and never found another job.

Sometimes guys just don't want nuts in the room.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 06:38 PM
  #253
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,164
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
At this point, you have to have a fix the D and the goaltending. Doing one without the other seems.....lazy.

We're currently 30th in GA, giving up 10 more goals than the next side. Yeah our goaltending couldn't stop a beachball, but the lack of defensive coverage isn't helping.
Probably not, but at some point your goalie has to bail your team out.

Case in point: Bernier and Smith saves against Arcobello which would've put the game away in both cases.

GreatKeith is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 06:39 PM
  #254
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I just remember hearing about how Laraque talking about being a vegan and trying to convince people to turn into vegans was apart of why he was bought out and never found another job.

Sometimes guys just don't want nuts in the room.
Yea but Laraque was irrelevant as a player. A nut in the locker room was all he was.

If Bryzgalov stops pucks then I dunno who complains. Just like if Laraque went out and scored 40 guys would've just nodded their heads and smiled even if they thought he was insane.

syz is online now  
Old
10-26-2013, 06:42 PM
  #255
Doc Scurlock
Registered User
 
Doc Scurlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Yea but Laraque was irrelevant as a player. A nut in the locker room was all he was.

If Bryzgalov stops pucks then I dunno who complains. Just like if Laraque went out and scored 40 guys would've just nodded their heads and smiled even if they thought he was insane.
Also, goalies are supposed to be weird. That's like a hockey rule or something. You accept that.

Doc Scurlock is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 06:44 PM
  #256
Hockey Nightmare
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,093
vCash: 500
Bottom line...you win games and nobody cares how weird you are.

Hockey Nightmare is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 06:49 PM
  #257
Oilbleeder
Moderator
Lead us to glory.
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,798
vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Probably not, but at some point your goalie has to bail your team out.

Case in point: Bernier and Smith saves against Arcobello which would've put the game away in both cases.
Absolutely, the last Washington game was an example of needing our goalie to make a big save and not being able to. No argument here.

Our D doesn't make it any better though. Bad defensive coverage giving up quality shots against a shakey goalie. If that isn't a recipe that ends up in a team giving up an average of 4 GA...oh.

Spend some assets and fix both.

What I'm scared of is if we continue to suck, MacT might become more hesitant to trade the 1st round pick if it's projected top-5.

__________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/nemesis15/QuadSig-OB.gif <-- Credit goes to The Nemesis.
Oilbleeder is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 06:50 PM
  #258
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,101
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Yea but Laraque was irrelevant as a player. A nut in the locker room was all he was.

If Bryzgalov stops pucks then I dunno who complains. Just like if Laraque went out and scored 40 guys would've just nodded their heads and smiled even if they thought he was insane.
I don't know that I'd say that, but even if I did agree nothing really suggest Ilya can stop a puck.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 06:54 PM
  #259
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,164
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Absolutely, the last Washington game was an example of needing our goalie to make a big save and not being able to. No argument here.

Our D doesn't make it any better though. Bad defensive coverage giving up quality shots against a shakey goalie. If that isn't a recipe that ends up in a team giving up an average of 4 GA...oh.

Spend some assets and fix both.

What I'm scared of is if we continue to suck, MacT might become more hesitant to trade the 1st round pick if it's projected top-5.
The defensive coverage hasn't been great, I agree. But the difference on a lot of the losses this season has been a single save.

Winnipeg, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Islanders, and now this game. That's 5 games we've lost by a single goal. Granted Dubnyk played well in the Islanders game so I don't blame him, but the others we could've salvaged points if the goaltender made one extra save.

The Coyotes in this game had numerous defensive breakdowns and we took advantage. The problem is they couldn't rely on their own goalie.

I can understand if we get outplayed or outtalented and lose. But more often than not this team has deserved a better fate. This game was another example, we should've at least had a point.

Eventually the players are going to wonder what it's going to take to get a win when they can't rely on their goaltending to do anything.

At the very least Dubnyk seems to have turned a corner, but I think LaBarbera's time has run out.

GreatKeith is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 07:07 PM
  #260
Oilbleeder
Moderator
Lead us to glory.
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,798
vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
The defensive coverage hasn't been great, I agree. But the difference on a lot of the losses this season has been a single save.

Winnipeg, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Islanders, and now this game. That's 5 games we've lost by a single goal. Granted Dubnyk played well in the Islanders game so I don't blame him, but the others we could've salvaged points if the goaltender made one extra save.

The Coyotes in this game had numerous defensive breakdowns and we took advantage. The problem is they couldn't rely on their own goalie.

I can understand if we get outplayed or outtalented and lose. But more often than not this team has deserved a better fate. This game was another example, we should've at least had a point.

Eventually the players are going to wonder what it's going to take to get a win when they can't rely on their goaltending to do anything.

At the very least Dubnyk seems to have turned a corner, but I think LaBarbera's time has run out.
Your right, but I go back to the first Washington game. Someone posted a graphic highlighting the shots for and against.

~70% of Washington's shots were from the slot. If your hellbent on using the swarm D, you can't be giving up quality shots on a crappy D. You need players if you want it to work. Yeah our goaltenders don't make the timely saves, but giving up consistent shots from good scoring angles definitely won't help.

i just say fix both.

Oilbleeder is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 07:09 PM
  #261
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,164
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Your right, but I go back to the first Washington game. Someone posted a graphic highlighting the shots for and against.

~70% of Washington's shots were from the slot. If your hellbent on using the swarm D, you can't be giving up quality shots on a crappy D. You need players if you want it to work. Yeah our goaltenders don't make the timely saves, but giving up consistent shots from good scoring angles definitely won't help.

i just say fix both.
Oh I agree. You can't give teams chances in the slot. It'll kill you every time.

But that wasn't the case tonight. Most of the goals were scored from well outside.

GreatKeith is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 07:14 PM
  #262
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,155
vCash: 580
We built the team wrong should have went from the backend out not from the forwards back. Now who knows if we'll ever make the playoffs let alone win a cup...

raab is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 07:16 PM
  #263
Koto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
We built the team wrong should have went from the backend out not from the forwards back. Now who knows if we'll ever make the playoffs let alone win a cup...
so we should have taken gubs larson and murray? then we'd be set.

Koto is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 07:19 PM
  #264
Oilbleeder
Moderator
Lead us to glory.
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,798
vCash: 81
Well the funny thing about the forwards....they're scoring. I'm honestly not that worried. Yes you could argue for a better two-way presence, but I think that's not as hard of a fix as the D and goaltending is. We're currently in 6th for GF and 8th on 5v5 GF. This is with a 0-18 PP and consistent injuries for the forward group. Not to mention a few of our players in slump city.

The problem is the a porous D and sieve-esque goaltending. You fix both of those and you give this club a much better chance at winning each game.

Oilbleeder is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 07:24 PM
  #265
Conkanen*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
We need CuJo and Pronger then we run the table.

Conkanen* is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 07:37 PM
  #266
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,101
vCash: 50
The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL 1m
Hearing #LAKings about to make a roster move. Look for player to be called up from Manch sooner rather than later. #Imminent

Interesting.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 07:42 PM
  #267
xlnc66
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Probably not, but at some point your goalie has to bail your team out.

Case in point: Bernier and Smith saves against Arcobello which would've put the game away in both cases.
Agree 100%. Goalies need to be able to step up and make the key saves, even if they are difficult. Tired of seeing the constant excuses about there being a screen, or a tip at the blueline, etc. It's funny how the goalies on the other teams seem to have no problem coming up with the save when placed in the same situation.

xlnc66 is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 07:46 PM
  #268
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Up North
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,998
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL 1m
Hearing #LAKings about to make a roster move. Look for player to be called up from Manch sooner rather than later. #Imminent

Interesting.
So a player for a pick? Need to replace said player with minor league call up?

OilDrop37 is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 07:50 PM
  #269
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,155
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
so we should have taken gubs larson and murray? then we'd be set.

No but we could have found a younger goalie then Khabibulin. If we could have got a guy like Halak or Anderson one of the holes would have been filled. Maybe we could have traded the 2012 1st for an actual d man. Tambo screwed us by not preparing this team to be ready to compete by year 3 of the rebuild. This team actually looks worse now then it did in 2009 which is pretty damning.

raab is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 07:52 PM
  #270
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL 1m
Hearing #LAKings about to make a roster move. Look for player to be called up from Manch sooner rather than later. #Imminent

Interesting.
Lander for Scrivens. They call up Martin Jones.

Quick vs. Scrivens tomorrow.

Soli is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 07:52 PM
  #271
Bergeron47
Registered User
 
Bergeron47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,610
vCash: 500
Really hoping Hellberg shines in Nashville while Rinne is out over the next month. The we could maybe chuck a Yak or Gagner for Rinne type deal

Bergeron47 is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 07:54 PM
  #272
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
No but we could have found a younger goalie then Khabibulin. If we could have got a guy like Halak or Anderson one of the holes would have been filled. Maybe we could have traded the 2012 1st for an actual d man. Tambo screwed us by not preparing this team to be ready to compete by year 3 of the rebuild. This team actually looks worse now then it did in 2009 which is pretty damning.
I agree I think they had chances to get guys Halak or Craig Andersen in the recent pass, but just sat on their hands.

Even Bryzgalov would've been better in the 1B role than Labarbera, but Labarbera gets signed here because Mac T knows him from years ago.

Soundwave is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 08:00 PM
  #273
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,101
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I agree I think they had chances to get guys Halak or Craig Andersen in the recent pass, but just sat on their hands.

Even Bryzgalov would've been better in the 1B role than Labarbera, but Labarbera gets signed here because Mac T knows him from years ago.
Bobby Mac was on 1260 a few Fridays back and he made it sound like no one other than Tor and Phi(very briefly) called on Bernier. Just shocked we didn't make the call. Then again maybe we did early and were told there was no chance at us getting him.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 08:01 PM
  #274
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,185
vCash: 500
It's depressing that I'm even thinking about this but if we do end up drafting Ekblad ...

Smid Petry
Schultz Nurse
Ference Ekblad

Next year?

Soundwave is offline  
Old
10-26-2013, 08:01 PM
  #275
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,101
vCash: 50
At least we didn't pay Bulin 1.7mil like the Hawks did.

joestevens29 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.